Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Out of town at the in laws.. Haven't done much cept my modified pony clamp for pinch and two singles and a double on the 3" truck axle w/ leaf springs over top. Very tough on my wrist tendons so kept it short.

Earlier in this log I described the axle I believe page 3 or 4 if some of you are wondering

• Like 1

back home, BW 183.8

light workout OH squats 3x5 @ 100#

ext. bucket 16#, 2 ten second holds and 1 twenty second hold each hand

8# sledgewalk, 2 sets of 4 walks total, alt hands

2 twenty round shot rotations

FM/NXG blob drags, 2 drags 20 feet, then decline bench ramp drags w/ NXG, fully declined 10 reps per hand

powerball for a few min cooldown

BW 184

core work, leg raise holds 3 for ten seconds each and elbow levers 3 for 15 seconds

Chris Rice inspired elbow/heel raise, 22s/16s

1.5" block grippers, 3x5 (left) w/ GHP5, 3x6 right w/ paused sets

2hp 50mm, to working @ 178# for 3 sets of 5, no regrips

35s pinch, lefty 5 second hold, righty 6 KB style swings

40# blob taps 10r each hand, then cleans, 1x2, 1x4 both hands

pinch torque developer work and thumb rim swing work, then 15# sledgewalk both hands

FG db hang snatches, 2x10 each hand and powerball cooldown

BW 183.8

20r squats @ 190#

IM big horn to 147#, ten second hold each hand

plate holds 25+7#, ten seconds per hand to the front and to the rear

blob work, warmed up with 40# taps, then 45# holds... and made some attempts at the next gen 50 lefty... got it slightly over the knee several times but couldn't lock it out - still airtime PRs with the left... with the right i tried 5# extra weight and same story, got close but couldn't pull the shoulder back. In both cases these are still personal best performances with the blobs... the drags are continuing to work very well

not much else except for L seat to planche progressions on the mini paralletes

• Like 3

Good job on the blobs!!

So You can lift the next generation blob with Your right hand pretty easy, right? How about the fatman? Did You already try one?

• Like 1

very nice I like to hear when things are working

• Like 1

Good job on the blobs!!

So You can lift the next generation blob with Your right hand pretty easy, right? How about the fatman? Did You already try one?

Thanks! Yeah right I'm good for about ten seconds holding. The fatman is harder idk how long of a hold but I can lift it solid. Funny thing is its a half 95 fatman - but significantly harder than the 100# nxg. Blob floor drags are a huge part of my success, there was a time not too long ago that fatman was bolted to the floor collecting dust. It wasn't till I got smart about training it that it came up.

very nice I like to hear when things are working

Me too man, I love outsmarting the weight

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

What are you dragging it across, it would make a nice divot in the carpet!

What are you dragging it across, it would make a nice divot in the carpet!

Right, lol... I drag over my rubber gym floor... Tougher than carpet... Before I used an old rug... I think a 6x8'

I'm sittin here watchin jr play titanfall, doin some drags! Back and forth on a little mat.

• Like 1

Jon,

Excuse me if you mentioned this already but when you drag, do you grab it from the side of th block so your forearm is parallel to the ground? Or do you grab at the top as if you were going for a deadlift

From the top mostly, (more challenging), the y in "york" pointed towards where i am dragging. Now to make it easier, turn the y inward so the blob is sideways, fingers placed in the direction of where you're dragging, tilt the blob forward and drag..

perhaps i'll make a video when i get the chance

today did DO fat grips dl on the rage bar, 3x5 @ 265#

also 1hp swings @ 73# w/ the dime plate to the rear (offsets the euro out of balance to make it more challenging), 3x5 each hand

tabletop (bench) wrist curls w/ the diy wrist wrench, 2x3 nice n slow 53#

This dragging seems to be a good idea! I'll give it a try in the next weeks. My three fatmans are all still far away - so a lot work to do...

• Like 1

L sits to planche progressions, 4x5

Double 40# FGs db jerks 3x10

Thumb rim work, 35 plate sets of ten

Plate holds w/ 25, front and rear for fifteen seconds

Blob drags, 36' two sets w/ the 50s

Powerball for a nice pump

• Like 1

BW 181.8

Squats 3x5 @ 260#

1.5" block Grippers left 2x5 w/ ghp5, right 2x5 w/ Tetting SM... Left attempted 25mm block 149 HG300 to a millimeter, right narrowly missed same gripper on the wider 1.5" set.... Opened a nice callous on the pinkie. Crush coming along... Starting to train for a CoC cert perhaps after nationals. Focused more on the Lifts, but I want some fancy IM paper on the wall eventually - it's been long enough

2hp to 183# 3x4 (each time tried for five reps couldn't lock out the fifth rep) no regrips.. Next time should be a breeze for 3x5 bodyweight+

Nothing really else just some rehab work and PB

• Like 1

Focused more on the Lifts, but I want some fancy IM paper on the wall eventually - it's been long enough

Ha! Fantastic.
  • Like 1

BW 182.6

Dips, planche partials (one leg out), and L sits

one hand axle cleans, singles from 115# to 145#, ten lb increments, 155# and 165# high pulls, all weight was both hands

rolling thunder left, 147# ten reps, right 172# eight reps

blob taps 40# and 45# fatmen, ten taps each hand

rolling thunder static wrist hold (hand inline with wrist flat on bench) to 94# for five second holds each hand... just more tendon conditioning after my scare doing all those wrist curls - gonna be on these types of exercises (plate, RT, wrist wrench holds etc) almost daily for 2-3 months to thicken up my wrists

• Like 1

Thanks bro.. I got 203# maybe about a year ago. Not sure what it is now as I haven't trained it regularly... I think I can get a 200/220r with a bit of work in the short term. At my lighter bodyweight I think those are some legit goals.

• Like 1

BW 183.6

one hand cleans on 3" Inch style nonrotating trainer, warmup then one single each 78#, 88#, and three singles each at 98#/44 kg (thanks Josh W, finally dusted off the 3" handle!) I had perhaps 5# more in the tank but i haven't done one hand DB cleans in a while and my form needs dialed in

2hp light day 3 sets of doubles at BW

2hp torque trainer 2 five second isometrics

plate hold, thin 25#, twenty seconds each hand

blob attempts, more air w/ nexgen 50 left, and right air with added 5#... still not quite there but kind of a dry morning in the garage, i bet with some decent humidity it will all go up easy and then some.... still very consistent with the right hand on both heavies

finished with a core/conditioning circuit, ten reps each hand hang snatches 40# FG DB, 20 flutter kicks while in L Sit position, and leg raise flutters for ten seconds, did this twice... very tiring

BW 183.6

one hand cleans on 3" Inch style nonrotating trainer, warmup then one single each 78#, 88#, and three singles each at 98#/44 kg (thanks Josh W, finally dusted off the 3" handle!) I had perhaps 5# more in the tank but i haven't done one hand DB cleans in a while and my form needs dialed in

Awesome!! glad I got you to dust off the 3" cleans :D I'm shooting for 50kg as a good achievable goal!
  • Like 1

blob attempts, more air w/ nexgen 50 left, and right air with added 5#... still not quite there but kind of a dry morning in the garage, i bet with some decent humidity it will all go up easy and then some.... still very consistent with the right hand on both heavies

Any idea what humidity levels you were at this morning? My reason for asking is because I really struggle with lifting the blob in the summertime when the humidity is high, but in winter, my basement gym gets down to about 30% humidity and then the blob comes off the floor with ease. I've also heard others say they prefer a bit more humidity for pinch, so this has always been a topic of great interest to me.

BTW - Great log here!

No idea on actual humidity. It was about 60 degrees, 9am door open sunny out. Not terrible pinching but no grabby friction.. Sometimes it just "feels" easier. Usually cooler and rainy has that optimal feel. Maybe I need to plan my workouts around the forecast? Lol... Thanks for checkin it out!

• Like 1

BW 183.2

situp to half squat and box jump 42" 2 sets of five, 2 sets of five dips

extensor bucket holds 2 rounds each at 20# and 23#, 3-5 seconds

IM little big horn singles each hand ten pound increments 144# to 194#, strict lockout pause pulls, then back down to 172#, two sets of five reps each hand alt. each rep

nice little round of contrast baths to finish