Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Good stuff Jon. Nice approach on the rep schema. Good for upping strength without burning out on max attempts. I am doing sort or less the same. We'll get it. I noticed however that I don't want to do to much other training besides gripwork, costs me too much recovery. And you?

Jon, how much time do you rest between sets? Stupid thing perhaps, but I noticed a definitely better recovery between sets by holding my arm up high for a good minute or so after each set. It decreased that full, pumped feeling in the lower arms. My hands have much better recuperation between sets this way.

Jon, how much time do you rest between sets? Stupid thing perhaps, but I noticed a definitely better recovery between sets by holding my arm up high for a good minute or so after each set. It decreased that full, pumped feeling in the lower arms. My hands have much better recuperation between sets this way.

About five minutes, I try to hit at least another two upper body area exercises before re-engaging the grip. Usually chest or shoulder work between sets. I'll have to try the elevated arm thing... nice observation.

Today warmed up with a run and a bench press session, also did close grip pushups.

Grippers CCS, five set of triples left with 125#, five sets of triples right with 132#

Messed around with the next gen 50 blob, some good lefty lifts and right hand holds.

Speed DL oly bar to 305# 2x5 first conv, then sumo, all DO

Switched to DO axle, 1x10 @ 314, no bouncing reset hands each rep

landmine rows with 100# solid axle, sets of five up to addtl 75# on end

plate curl singles with 35# and a couple cheated curls with 45#, never was able to get these before without major swinging, strict curl much closer than ever.

vbar hammer curls and reverse curls, a bunch of sets for volume.. biceps blasted

pissed my steelers lost, probably fueled this workout

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Oly DL speed, to 345# DO, 2 sets of 2

DO axle to 334#, 2 sets of 3

2" DB hammer curl triples, sets of 3, 77, 87, and 97#

landmine rows with 100# axle, addtl. 100# added, 2x5

After a run and squats tonight, messed around with thin pinch... lotta light 2hp pulls with bands for dynamic resistance

not exactly sure but had the setup at 43mm. Put on the thumb protectors and worked up to 81lbs each hand with the bands - felt crazy easy especially with the thin setup and suede on thumb sides. idk how much weight the bands added, maybe 10-15 lbs at high lockout.

had a bit of early pinching success, one thing i did a lot was thin pinch so i'm going back to that well to see if it can get me to the next level

20 rep squats, 235#

43mm thin pinch, one handed swings 61# and two hand sets of doubles 161#, 3 sets of each

light CCS work, COC 1, first rep with the card, ten speed micro reps thereafter, 3 sets

finger tendons feel nice and refreshed, thin pinch really hits the fingertips well

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

After a run and squats tonight, messed around with thin pinch... lotta light 2hp pulls with bands for dynamic resistance

not exactly sure but had the setup at 43mm. Put on the thumb protectors and worked up to 81lbs each hand with the bands - felt crazy easy especially with the thin setup and suede on thumb sides. idk how much weight the bands added, maybe 10-15 lbs at high lockout.

had a bit of early pinching success, one thing i did a lot was thin pinch so i'm going back to that well to see if it can get me to the next level

Impressive thin pinch Jon. Whenever I've tried less than 54mm (which feels a little too thin) my fingers immediately ache, 43mm seems really thin!

Thanks Bob, been struggling with pinch this past year. Did some log searching on what correlated to pinch success and thin pinch was a factor. Giving it some work once again.

• Like 1

CCS grippers, lefty not good, couldn't get my triples with 125#, right hand got the first set of four with my 132# but failed to finish that fourth rep the next two sets.

Did a bit of thin pinch to get my confidence back, worked up to 188# for solid pulls at 43mm. This is the weight i somehow missed at NAGS this year and its going up easy thin. I hate 2hp lol

Debated doing some RT and ended up just going for it, worked up to 173# for a triple left and 199# for nearly a triple right, last rep didn't lock my shoulder back

All in all not a bad day, gotta get the grippers back on track - i feel like i just need some overcompensation rest and hit more PRs

• Like 2

Yesterday did sumo DL to 365# for triples

Axle to 320# for a set of 12 restart reps, about 5 seconds between pulls.. felt like i might have strained my right bicep on one of those last pulls. I grabbed the bar uneven and a disproportionate amount of weight leaned right. Good set of pulls but now I'll have to rest the arm a bit, disappointing because i had a biceps workout planned for tuesday.

Yesterday did sumo DL to 365# for triples

Axle to 320# for a set of 12 restart reps, about 5 seconds between pulls.. felt like i might have strained my right bicep on one of those last pulls. I grabbed the bar uneven and a disproportionate amount of weight leaned right. Good set of pulls but now I'll have to rest the arm a bit, disappointing because i had a biceps workout planned for tuesday.

Jon, is this the same biceps that you injured a while back on blob curls?

Actually it's the other, just a sudden soreness and pain. More aggravated by hammer or reverse curls. I feel the tender spot on the outside of the biceps, just above the elbow about 2-3 inches. Feels better today but still sore. Been massaging the area and wearing compression sleeves.

Squats and incline bench to start off. Did quite a bit of body work before hitting the grippers.

CCS right only, left still sore in the palm thumbpad area from getting a car hood slammed down on it

2 sets of 4 with the 132, then 1 set of 3 with the 136 - PR for ease of closing, third rep shut solidly

RT left, ten reps at 156# (ten rep PR), right ten reps at 181# (also PR), see video below:

• Like 4

Damn man. Nice!

Did you know you turn you wrist as you get to the top of the pull?

Have you ever tried starting in the same hand position as where you end up?

Not saying you should or shouldn't. ..just wondering.

• Like 1

Wow dude! Congrats on the PR!

Great RT strength Jon!

Damn man. Nice!

Did you know you turn you wrist as you get to the top of the pull?

Have you ever tried starting in the same hand position as where you end up?

Not saying you should or shouldn't. ..just wondering.

Thanks guys!

Nate, no I never noticed that - great observation. I'll have to consciously try and straighten my wrist through the ROM next time to see if it makes a difference.

• Like 2

strong work man...serious training...been checking out more training logs lately...def a good one...

strong work man...serious training...been checking out more training logs lately...def a good one...

Thanks appreciate it!

• Like 1

Bench to 205 for a triple.. finally getting some strength back pushing

Grippers CCS, cut it short; under performing miserably, left hand very sore - beginning to think it was deadlifting with my rage bar (extremely flexy), last week with over 360, when i follow the lift down tightly the bar snaps back when it hits the ground. The impact hurt and probably bruised the area under my palm. Right is slightly sore in the same area so it wasn't the car hood that injured it.

Bad start with 2.5 reps so I repped out the 1 CCS for 15 each hand, nice little burn

RT pulls also burnout mode, after a few warmups did 17 reps with 148 left handed, right handed got 14 with 173#, a quick shake out the arm and blow into the hands and got two more reps so I guess 16 reps total. Not bad pulling - thumb strength work seems like its helping me pull with more of a neutral grip, which saves the forearms over a high rep set.

High rep squats to finish - week off killed me.. felt like hell trying to get 20 with 235, usually doable but today only got 16 before the body quit on me.

Back to the gym this week for some bodybuilding work... maybe a gripper session midweek since I laid off the heavy CCS early.

LA contest only 3 weeks out

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Higher volume lighter resistance gripper mesocycle. After missing the 3 cert narrowly I need to build more foundational crush. Next 3 weeks as I've completed a week already, all higher rep CoC 2 work.

All reps on filed 2

1x12 CCS, 1x15 CCS (swipe card first, then next four mini reps) 1x8 tns

Left 1x10 CCS, 1x12 CCS + 4 mini reps, 1x6 tns