John O'brien

JohnOBrien

John,

as you start bending serious steel - you need more days off - the sledge work is a perfect way to still hit the wrist and grip without bending - thanks for the reminder.

Great training - congrats on the strongman show.

Brett

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnOBrien

• Clay Edgin

• tmmicklabs

• BJones

Thanks Brett. It's hard to take a day off from the bending, the call of the steel is very strong right now, but I know if I don't I'll regret it soon. I swear that I dream about bending...

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

IM Blue x 2

6" G5 x 2

Galvanized 60d x 7

Nasty 60d x 7

Some pre-workout bending. I'm getting better with the nasty 60d's. I hit 5 of these back to back in about a minute, but that last one was a bit of a struggle. I'd like to do a red today, but my new ones haven't arrived yet. I expected them yesterday, so hopefully they'll be here today...

Later that day...

IM Yellow x 1

IM Red x 1

My new reds got here, so I had to try one. Did it after a yellow to get a feel for the length. Seemed a bit tougher than my other reds did, but I did it more or less cold.

Dexterity Balls - 10 minutes each hand (5 clockwise, 5 counterclockwise)

Levering (4" Hammer at base of handle)

Pronations - 35,35,30

Supinaitons - 35, 35, 30

Front Raises - 35, 35, 30

Rear Raises - 35, 35, 30

Quick pre-hab workout today. Hands and wrists are feeling pretty good.

I have two sets. The set I use at home (10 minutes each hand) is just your ordinary dexterity balls (~1.25" and just a few ounces). I also have the IronMind heavy set that I use from time to time in my office. They are significantly bigger in diameter and each weighs more than a pound. With IM set I just go clockwise for 5 minutes each hand.

Here is a video of me bending a Red nail. I should be certifying soon, I contacted IM last Monday, but haven't heard anything about who my judge will be or where the bend will take place. I'll be ready though...

My Webpagewww2.truman.edu/~jobrien/RedBend.mov

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

6" G5 x 1

6" G8 x 1

Red x 1

Galvinized 60d x 4

Red x 1 (video taped)

Tough 60d x 8

Good bending day today. First Red took ~50 sec, second took ~30. First time I've tried 2 reds in one day and I got stronger instead of weaker!

60d Bright x 1

Red x 2

Got some leather in the mail today (same source tha Clay Edgin got his from) and cut a couple of strips to see how it would feel. 60d felt fine, but the first red I did was very tough. Had to change grip several times. The new leather is a little thicker than the old leather I've been using, so I won't be changing over until after I certify. Went back to the old leather and toasted the second red.

Suitcase DL

RH - 0:20x135, 0:20x160, 0:10x185, pickx205

LH - 0:20x135, 0:20x160, 0:07x185, pickx205

Definitely have a difference in grip between RH and LH. Could have kept going up with my RH, but my LH couldn't keep up. I even had to hook the 205 LH to get it. I like doing these suitcase DL's for time because I feel it in my abs as well as my grip. Great core exercise!

Galvanized 60d x 3

Broke a 6" G2

Didn't want to do too much today since I'm certifying on Friday, but I couldn't resist. Read about Big Steve breaking an IM Red, so I wanted to try to break something. G2's are the easiest bends I have handy, so I figured I'd try that. It was quite a workout! One G2 bend isn't too bad, but the 30-40 in a row that it took me to break the bolt is another story! My hat is really off to Big Steve for having the strength and endurance to break a Red! :bow Unfortunately, I blistered both of my index fingers. With enough focus on Friday, I should be able to work through that though.

Thanks Thai, it is really cool to feel it break at the very end.

I know I shouldn't have bent today, but I took a couple of shots to the hands yesterday and had to bend today just to make sure everything went smoothly. First was a matching pair of blisters on my index finders, and then I was practicing cabers last night, I had to dump a pick. It bounced up and whipped me in the right hand right at the base of my thumb. I thought it hyper-extended my elbow, but it feels much better today.

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

6" G5 x 1

6" G8 x 1

Red x 1

Had to adjust my technique a bit because of the blisters, but it is minimal. Red was still well under 1 min even taking my time. My certification Judge informed me that the nails were in and everything is a go for me to certify tomorrow night. I will be certifying as part of an evangelical strong man show in front of about 150 people. Should give me all the extra umph I need. :D

Warm-Up for tonight's certification, emphasizing technique and speed.

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

6" G5 x 1

Galvanized 60d x 1

Bright 60d x 1 (from Orschelin's in Macon)

Nasty 60d x 1

Wanted to do more, but I quit for now. Everything felt great. I'm going to kill the Red tonight!

Had a really good time at the show. We were the closing event for a Summer Bible School program. There were probably between 90-100 people in the crowd. Pretty intimate setting. Here are the things that I did.

Cards - Halved and Quartered one deck.

Bending -

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

Galvinized 60d x 5

6" G5 x 1

IM Red x 1 (certification bend)

4" Length of 1/4" CRS - Double loop scroll

240# Atlas Stone - Sholdered and carried 10'(no tacky)

400# Cross - carried probably 30'

We had more things planned, but we didn't start until almost 8 pm and we were running out of daylight.

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

Galvinized 60d x 5

6" G5 x 1

6" G8 x 1

7" Red x 1

6.75" Red x 1 PR :D

6.5" Red x 1 PR :D

6.25" Red x 1 PR :D

Well, I cut four of my reds off today, from 6.75" to 6". Wanted to see what my max bend was. Got down to 6.25" and that one took all I had. As the reds got shorter, the crush portion of the bend, usually my strongest part, seemed to be the limiting portion of the bend. I barely got the 6.25" inside the 2" mark. I knew I wouldn't get the 6" red, so I'm going to save it for next week. Planning on starting back on the grippers tomorrow, but we'll see how my hands feel...

-----Bending-----

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

6" G5 x 1

Nasty 60d x 10

-----Breaking-----

6" G2 x 1

6" Adjustable Wrench x 1

Nice quick bending workout today. I've started doing some light gripper work to get my hands ready for the tough stuff, so I'm backing off a bit on the bending (although I'll probably never stop completely, it's just too much fun!). After bending I broke my 2nd G2 (easier this time) and a 6" wrench that I got from Brett Kerby. The wrench didn't bend much at all before it broke.

Decided I might as well post my weight workouts along with my grip stuff, so here's today's workout....

Push Press - 5x200,210,230, 4x240 (missed 5th), 2x255 (missed 3rd)

Chins - 3x5xBW

Strict Log Press - 3x3x195

Cheat Bent Rows - 3x10x255

Short and sweet workout today. Didn't feel "on" with the log today. Don't know why, but it just felt awkward. Cleans are feeling pretty good though.

Finished the first week of the KTA program to dominate my hard #2. I can kill an easy #2 that I have access to, but mine is hit and miss. After that, I'll restart KTA on the road to the #3...

-----Later-----

CG Inclines - 5x225,225,245

Hammer Curls - 3x5x75's

CG Bench - 3x5x275

Cheat Curls - 8x155,165,165

Didn't think I'd be able to get in the rest of my workout today because I told my older son I'd take him to the movie in the afternoon since it was the last day of his summer break. Found out when we got to the theater that the first show didn't start until 4:10, so I went and worked out instead (he played video games). Good workout. I think I'm in the right range on the CG stuff now to really do some good. I like doing the cheat curls, but you really get some funny looks from people when you are doing them. :blush

About 2 hours after my weight workout, I did some bending...

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

6" G5 x 1

7" Red x 1

6" Red x ~85 degree kink

Nasty 60d x 12

Good bending workout. That 6" red is a beast! Took all I had to get it to a little under 90 degrees, but still too wide to crush down. I'll get it though! Getting pretty good with the nasty black 60d's. Hit 12 back-to-back today.

I'm not sure yet, but I think working the grippers is sapping my bending strength a bit. I'll know more in a week or two, but I'm going to focus on the grippers until I get the #3 certified, even if it kills my bending.

Squats - 5x370,395,420,450, 3x475 (missed 4th) :angry:

Stand 1-leg Calves - 4x15xBW+65

Seated Calves - 50x135

12" Squats - 5x550,655,750

GHR - 3x5xBW

Pushes - 3x3x300

RDL - 5x315,365,405

Good workout today, except for losing the 4th rep in my heavy set of squats. Totally lost concentration and the bar drifted too far forward for me to recover. Also tweaked something in my right knee on the fourth set that hurts about 3/4 of the way into the hole. It was really cool doing the 12" Squats, the bar couldn't hold any more (we don't have 100# plates) and had a huge sag going. :D

KTA - Phase 1, Week 2, Day2

My hands are starting to get stiff in the mornings. Took me a long time to warm up today. The first couple of reps were hard and painful, but by the end of the workout, I was feeling pretty good. BTW, I'm doing this round to dominate my hard #2, which I could close off and on before I started this. Then I'll go into a round of KTA to get the #3. I've closed my tough #2 the last 2 days after my workout (I call it tough because I have a friend with a #2 that is much easier than mine).

Decline Situps - 10xBW+20,30,40

Knee-Ups - 3x25

Suit-Case DL (no straps)- 10x135, 5x165, 3x185, 2x205 R (1x205L), 1x215 R (hooked L), 1x225 R (hooked L)

Quick and dirty core workout today. Nothing too difficult, although the difference between my L and R grip is frustrating. Don't know how to correct this except to keep working it...

Edited by JohnOBrien

John,

I just noticed that you are bending the Red and are certified.

Congrats Brother :bow:bow:bow:bow

Thanks Travis, I went at it hard to get to the red. Now I'm focusing on the #3 gripper and we'll see how good my focus is.

Worked Phase 1, Week 2, Day 3 of the KTA program today. Negatives are starting to feel better and the overcrushes feel very good with my dominant hand, still a bit of a struggle with my weaker hand (left).

Bench - 5x270,290,310,330, 4x350 , 13x265

Neutral Grip Pullups - 5xBW, 4x5xBW+50 (ugly)

Towel Pullups - 3xBW (these are tough on the hands)

Wide Grip Pullups - 5xBW

-----Lunch Break-----

Dips - 5xBW,5xBW+60,3x5xBW+100

Bent Rows - 10x225, 3x10x315

CG Lockouts (12") - 3x5x335

Cheat Curls - 3x5x185

Dumbell Ovhd Ext - 10x30,40,40

Reverse Curls - 3x5x105

Speed Push Press - 6x3x155

Had to take a break in the middle of the workout because my training partner had to go to a meeting. I ate lunch instead. Coming back and doing dips after an hour lay off was not good. Had no form and took forever to get warmed up. Rest of the workout went pretty well, although my triceps were fried by the time I finished the push presses.

Did Phase 1, Week 2, Day 4 of KTA. Moved my negative gripper up to the #3 from the HG-250. Couldn't believe the difference. Supposedly only about 30#, but I don't believe that for a second. That #3 was working me over pretty badly. I'll own it eventually though.