John O'brien

JohnOBrien

Decided I may as well start posting on here. I've been bending seriously for a few months now and have made some progress thanks to some of the big time benders on this board. Don't know where I'll end up, bending wise, but I see red when I bend!

6/14/04

60d 6 Twist TT x 40

6" G2 x5

6" x 5/16" Carraige Bolt x 1

5.5" G2 x 5

6" G5 x 1

Tough 60d Common x 1

This was a PR workout for me on volume (53 total bends) and quality of bends (second G5, first of these tough 60d Commons I've bent). These 60d Commons, at least for me, are tougher to kink than my G5's. The crush is a bit easier though.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnOBrien

• Clay Edgin

• tmmicklabs

• BJones

Keep at it, soon you won't just see RED you'll be feeling it give way :rock

6/16/04

Thanks for the encouragement.

Bought some cheap wrenches for kicks at the hardware clearance table last night. Took the smallest (3/8") and kinked it spike style, then switched to double overhand and snapped the open end off at about 30 degrees bent. Not particularly challenging, but cool none-the-less.

6/17/04

60d TT x 20

6" G2 x 5

5.5" G2 x 5

Lowered the volume and cut the high effort bends today, my hands were still a bit stiff from Monday. First few TT's were a little off, but once I got warmed up, everything went very smoothly.

Great volume John and great to see that you've started a log on this board.

Keep it up.

:rock

6/18/04

Thanks for the kind words.

Broke a 7/16" wrench today. It was 6" long and a pretty tough nut to crack. Don't know if I'll be able to break the larger wrenches that came in the pack or not (doubtful).

6/21/04

60d TT x 10

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

5/16"x6" Carriage Bolt x 2

IM Yellow x 1

IM Blue x 1

Kinked Tough 60d Common x 1

Kinked 6" G5 x 1

Everything was going well until I hit my max effort bends. I was very close on the common and G5 (had significant kinks, just not quite enough). Those two are right at my max right now, although I'm sure I'll be consistent on them by the end of the month.

-----Sledge Levering (8#)-----

Side-to-Side, 10" from head - 3x10

Front Raises, 20" from head - 3x10

Rear Raises, 25" from head - 3x10

Levering is something I've been doing off and on. I'm going to start doing it more to increase my bending progress/rehab (everyone I've talked to seems to think that it is almost as good as bending, but doesn't hurt your hands nearly as bad, which I must say is my experience so far as well). I've got a small, 4# 1-handed sledge (that was labeled an "engineer's hammer" when I bought it) that I do volume (sets of 25+ reps) with.

60d 8 Twist TT x 45

6" G2 x 5

5.5" G2 x 5

Good bending session. Everything felt good, although I did hit a couple of harder G2's at both lengths. Got finished and realized I had developed (and popped) a blister on my right hand. Hope it doesn't slow me too much in the next couple of sessions, but we'll see.

John,

Hey have you tried to palm Thoms 20lb shot, saturday night I did it out at his house. I was guessing that this isnt a overly impressive feat, also Im thinking that Thom cant do it, so Id like to see yu rub it in his face a little.

Scott

I can barely palm it. My hands aren't that big, but they are just big enough for that. How did the training go out there Saturday night?

John

60d TT x 5

6" G2 x 1

5.5" G2 x 1

IM Yellow x 1

IM Blue x 1

60d Common x 1

6" Kinked G5 x 1

Just didn't have it in me after my regular workout. I slightly kinkded the G5, but then had to cheat a little to get it the rest of the way. Also working around two blisters on my right hand that are throwing off my form a little bit on the tougher bends.

We didnt train, we just BS'ed, ate cookies and looked through all thoms relics, I did closer the #2 a couple of times and palm that shot. I would like to come down to train sometime.

Scott

60d TT x 20

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

5/16"/6" Carraige Bolt x 2

Tough 60d Common x 1

6" G5 x 1

Better power today than I had Monday. The tough 60d was actually a bit tougher than the G5 (might have been an especially tough 60d and a little off G5, but that's how they felt). I'm just about done with my 30# bucket of TT's, so I'm slowing down on the volume a bit so I don't run out before I can restock.

7/6/04

Just got out of the van (7 hour drive home from Chicago), unpacked, and decided to do a little bending.

60d TT x 10

6" G5 x 1

Tough 60d Common x 1

60d TT x 10

Not too bad. I can barely kink the G5 and 60d Common double underhand, so I'm still spiking these. I am getting more consistent on them though. This is the second or third (I didn't check the log) session in a row that I've hit the G5, so I think I've got these down now.

On a lighter note, while in Chicago at a family picnic I pulled out my bending stuff for one of my wife's cousins. He has never bent before, but he hit a TT, a 6" G2, and put a good kink in a IM Yellow. I also did a TT, a G2, an IM Yellow, and finished off his Yellow.

All with an eight pound sledge. Distances measured from top of thumb.

Side-to-side, 11" from head - 3x10

Back Levers, 30" from head - 3x10

Front Levers, 20" from head - 3x10

7/9/04 - forgot to post until today

60d TT x 5

6" G2 x 2

5.5" G2 x 2

5/16"x6" Carriage Bolt x 2

Tough 60d Common x 2

6" G5 x 1

60d TT x 5

Good bending workout, even though I wasn't quite "on". Got all the bends I attempted, although the second 60d common about did me in!

60d TT x 5

6" G5 x 1

Tough 60d Common x 1

60d TT x 5

Finished my 30# bucket of TT today. Going to have to make a road trip and find some easier 60d Commons or more TT for warm-ups. Could use G2's, but they are a bit expensive to use for volume work.

Levering: All with 4# "Engineer's Hammer" at the end of the hammer

Pronations - 2x50

Supinations - 2x50

Rear Levers - 2x50

Front Levers - 2x50

Did these this morning before I left for work. Got a really good burn from these and my forearms felt really pumped for most of the morning.

Also used my dexterity balls for 10 minutes (5 min clockwise, 5 min counter clockwise) in each hand.

You're bending is coming along nicely John.

Keep it up.

:rock

With that kind of volume, you're going to need a second job. Great job !!!

Thanks guys. I started bending seriously in late March and I've made pretty good progress (I could kink an IM yellow, but not bend it) mainly because of the volume of TT's that I've done. Need to move up to tougher stock for volume now to keep the progress coming.

5.5" G2 x 4

60d Common x 3

6" G5 x 3

6" G2 x 2 (finished the last of my stock)

Good bending today. Hit PR in volume of 60d commons and G5s.

Well, I bought some more stock. So I had to try some. Absolutely destroyed a 6" G5, so I thought I'd have a go at a 5.5" G5. Barely even kinked it. Tough little sucker. Killed an IM Yellow and Blue in short order too, but stopped since I just bent yesterday and don't want to over do it today.

7/19/04 Workout

6" G2 x 3

5.5" G2 x 3

6" G5 x 4

Tough 60d Commons x 4

5.5" G5 x miss, but did kink it.

The 60d's are still tough, but I'm hititng them consistently. The G5's that I had were not consistent. Two of them were pretty easy, two of them were pretty tough. I'm out now, so I need to buy some more of these. The 5.5" G5 was really tough, but I think I'm pretty close...

7/20/04

Dexterity Balls (light) - 10 minutes each hand (5 Clockwise, 5 Counter-clockwise)

Levering With 4# Engineer's Hammer at the bottom of the handle.

Pronations - 4x25

Suppinations - 4x25

Front Levers - 4x25

Rear Levers - 4x25

IM Whites x 18

IM Greens x 20

6" G2 x 2

Just a little bending focussing on speed and form. Plus I was getting tired of looking at those Greens and Whites. Did the two G2's to make it an even 40 bends. Total time >15 minutes.