Fighting Steel

BJones

I keep checking your log, because I know you are gonna put one away (red) in the next few workouts. :rock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BJones

• EricMilfeld

• Clay Edgin

• Rick Walker

Since Clay and Jeff and Strongmitts jumped ahead of me I am really feeling the need to put one of these babies away!!!

Brett, that is the same feeling I had when I saw that they were bending reds too! Training with a sense of urgency does produce results! And I knew you weren't that far behind since you're consistently getting those G8's under control. I think you ought to be bending reds within a couple weeks.

Well- Today was the day!

Bending:

60d x 3, G5 x 1, RED 7" x 2 (fresh), 1 (slightly kinked)

The friendly pressure put me over the edge and I was pumped for hours before

I had the chance to bend.

The first nail went down really well - Second nail was a two step (initial kink-rest-finish) and the third nail was a slightly kinked RED that went down pretty well.

Thanks Big Steve, SHRUG, Eric, Pat, Clay, Jeff P, Dave O, Strongmitts and everyone for the encouragement and friendly pressure!

Brett

Woohoo! There has been a very RED rash going around the gripboard lately!

Got some video of a RED bend this past Saturday -

Bending went like this:

60dx 3, G5x 1, 7"RED x 1, 6.5" RED x 1 , 6.75" RED x 1

The bends felt great! The video is pretty cool - should be of the 6.5" bend.

Sending it to Wannagrip tomorrow.

Brett

The bends felt great! The video is pretty cool - should be of the 6.5" bend.

Sending it to Wannagrip tomorrow.

Brett

Can't wait!

Awesome work Brett!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the road to the RED has reached the Certification - that was done this past Wednesday with Brian Carlton in MSP.

But the road continues to the 6" RED and thick stock - such as drill rod and other steel that needs bent!

Thank you to the gripboard and all the benders and grippers who share their time and knowledge to bring everyone to the next level.

Brett

Congratulations, Little Big Man! (meant in the most complimentary sense, of course) ;)

Thanks Eric - it is taken in the most complementary way! :happy

How is your gripper work coming along?

Brett

How is your gripper work coming along?

Brett

It was going well for a while, but then as I started bending a little too much my progress slowed. And now I've found that my bending has suffered as well from the overtraining. Of course I blame guys like you for this. It seems everytime some super strong guy bends a Red like a wet noodle I compulsively rush to the garage in an attempt to try and duplicate the latest feat. This can only go on for so long... :laugh

How have I not read your journal yet.

This was great reading your progression to the kill. Nice job man. One more kick in the ass for me to get my act together.

Congrats man :rock

Thanks thaibox - Great to be able to share some info and maybe help and motivate people like I was motivated and helped by others on the board.

I have been doing some bending but have been traveling a LOT and haven't kept close record but got back into it yesterday.

Bending: 60d x 3, G5 x 1, RED x 1, G8 x 1, 5.5" G5 x 2, 60d x 1

The RED was the third nail sent for the IM certification - I went through two that day but this one wouldn't go - It is now conquered!! :cool

The jet lag and travel have worked on me and I am finally coming around - some sleep and I should be back to 100%.

My new goal is the BLOB! I have a LONG way to go but I am going to be hitting the block weights and working hard on it. A great conversation with Richard Sorin helped me decide where to focus.

Brett

Bending with SHRUG today - it is great to get together with a fellow bender and get some intensity going!

SHRUG had some 5/16" stock that had a pink dot on the end - don't know what it means other than it is HARD - I tried a 7" piece and put a small kink in it - much harder than a RED -

Today's bending:

60d x 3, G5 x 1, Pink x kinked, 6" RED x kinked(pretty good kink),

6.5" RED x 1, 6.75" x 1, G8 x 1, 60d x 2

Overall a good day - still a little tired from Wednesday's bending and all of the travel but I put a good kink in that 6" RED - and getting two more cut REDS after fighting the first two was a great effort.

I'll cut some to about 6.25" to bridge the gap. And I am going to take a few days off from bending. (4 days or so)

Brett

Todays training:

35# Blob - x 21 right and left

Bending: 60d x 3, 7"RED x 1, G5 x 1

Also tried some card tearing - which sucked - I seem to have lost my card tearing groove. Just one more thing to work on.

The 21 blob lifts were a big PR - I will take a few days off and then add a little weight to the blob.

Wasn't going to bend today but couldn't help it - could really tell I needed a couple more days off - so no bending till Friday.

I have more RED nails from IM and more IM pads on the way and I should be getting some ballistic nylon to try. My current IM pads have just about had it but they have stood up to some pretty serious bending.

Oh and I did a couple of strap holds with the #1 + 15 lbs -

Brett

Bending with Shrug - Big Steve on the camera

60d x 3, G5 x 1, 5/16Grade 2 x 1, FatBastard 5/16 x 0, 6" RED x kink,

7"RED x 1, 6.5"RED x 1, 6.75RED x 1, 7" RED x 2, G8 x 2, 5.5"G5 x 2,

5/16Grade 2 x 1, 8"TT Spike x 1

The grade 2 5/16 was dissappointing - they are about a 60d at best - was hoping for a cheaper RED for volume but no dice

Volume PR for REDs - used the ballistic nylon - very cool - great for bending

Brett

Took a few days off from Friday's bending marathon and preparing for another one this friday!

So yesterday did a combo of gym and home

Grip work -

35# blob x 5 r+L, (added 3#) 38#blob x 3 r+L

Bending - 60d x 4, 5/16Grade 2 x 2

New BBM for some attempts (closed with the R not with the left)

The blob work is coming along - bending felt like crap - still needed to recover from my last session.

Brett

A grip get together today at Rick Walker's house - SHRUG and I came down to do a little bending and some stones and pinching and....

So a little run down of the day:

Bending: 60d x 3, G5 x 1, 5/16G2 x 1, 7" RED x 4,

Pinching: 4-10s + 5#, 5- 10s with a pipe through the middle, a lot of attempts and other combinations - alot of pinching...

Stones 257# stone to the chest x 3-4

600# tire flip x 4

Horseshoes (level 1) x 2

Rick did a lot of pinching - including 8-5s in the left hand and 5-10s in the right

and stones

SHRUG - bent some REDs and a 6.5" Pink nail - lots of pinching and some stones.

A couple of beers and lots of wings to round out the day - also tossing 2-10s and 3-10s back and forth between two people - lots of fun!! Those darker REDS are harder - I certified on a darker RED but doing reps of them is fun.

I think I'll take a couple of days off - :blink

Brett

Beer, wings, and steel. Yep, that about covers it.

Nice work guys!

Thanks Big Steve - having you there to motivate is awesome!

Thanks Eric - it was a blast.

Rick - a big thank you and it was great meeting your family.

Who knows what may happen next week!!?? :blink

Brett

Back at Rick's today - man is this fun!! :D

Started with some plate pinching - after a brief warm-up

5-10s x 3 r+L (got this again later in the workout for a total of 4 r+L)

Bending: 60d x 3, G5 x 1, 7" RED x 1, 6" RED x kinked, 6.25" RED x 1 (PR)

Stones - Rick made me a 220# stone - Awesome!!

did a couple reps each with the 220# stone, 260# stone and 290# stone

Long bar bending - 14" spike x 1

Card tearing - 1/2deck - tore in half x 2 then 1/4 the halves

1 full deck

Broke 2- 35#plates off the ground - actually almost to lock out - this is the next goal.

That is all I can remember for now - training with Rick and SHRUG is great.

Brett

Unexpected stone session with Pexter and SHRUG:

first time with some tacky - to a platform:

170#, 263#, 297#, 313#

I got a 339# stone to my lap but couldn't get it on the platform.

Very pleased with the stone lifting except for the fact that I tweaked the Right side of my back try to get the last stone to the platform. :angry:

Ice, advil, rest and happy thoughts :D:blink

This stone stuff is pretty addictive.

Brett