Fighting Steel

BJones

I am continuing on the road RED -

Bending today:

40d,60d, Kinked G8 x 2, 5.5"G5 x 2, G5 x 2, 60d

I had wanted greater success with the G8s but every time I fight steel I learn a bit and gain a bit.

It seems I am changing my form slightly during tougher bends - I having trouble with the initial kink double underhand - but I am finding a better position when I switch to overhand.

Getting the two 5.5" G5 after fighting the G8s for over 20 minutes was pretty good.

More volume on the 5.5" G5 and more variation in intensity -

More volume 60d days.

The journey continues...

Brett

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BJones

• EricMilfeld

• Clay Edgin

• Rick Walker

6-4-04

Working on the double overhand - shouldn't have been bending today but thought I would try a bit different form getting into the double overhand.

All bends or attempts were with pre-kinked bolts of varied degrees:

G8 x 0

5.5" G5 x 1

G8 x 0

5.5" G5 x 2

Finally found a good form for getting into the double overhand - felt very strong with these - I had previously had a lot of trouble with pre-kinked bars.

The G8 was right on the edge - I could feel it flexing and wanting to go but no dice.

I am right on the edge of getting these consistantly.

Brett

Oh yeah - forgot to mention that I have made the switch over to the IMpads.

Folding them into 4"x12" and rolling them on the ends of the nails (2 separate pads)

The key is chalk - rubbing chalk on the pads allows them to stick together and gives a more secure wrap.

Brett

6-5-04

I really need to take a day off sometime!! :blink

Today I was just going to show my wife the new double overhand style - well I wrapped up a slightly kinked G8 and the damn thing went.

So today -

finished a slightly kinked G8 x 1 (full bend), fought with another slightly kinked G8 but could not finish it - then a 60d, then for fun I wrapped up a G8 that had a pretty good kink in it and finished it off (my right elbow hit my right knee early in the bend so it was an unofficial bend - slightly braced for a second and below the waist)

Hitting that first G8 today felt great! It had only a slight kink and went pretty well.

BTW - on the 3rd - it says kinked G8 x 2 - that means I only kinked two G8s - I didn't finish them. I didn't realize how that sounded until I read it today -

I am pretty much to the point that I will bend double overhand and not use the underhand to kink the nail.

Brett

Edited by BJones

Just been doing a little bending here and there - last week left me pretty wiped out and I needed a few days to recover.

Yesterday -

60d, 5.5"G5 x 2, G5 x 2, 60d x 4

Still working the double overhand technique - I did wrap up a piece of drill rod that Jeff sent me and while I didn't attack it - I gave it a go and not even a kink.

I am still inconsistent with the G8s - seems I am at a transitional period -I went through the same thing with the 60ds - just a hurdle to work over.

Brett

Been bending and traveling -

At the AOBS dinner I did some KB demos and some bending -

several 60d, 5.5"G5 x 2, G5 x 2 - lots of fun.

Today after some freestyle KB work I came inside to do some bending:

total of 20 bends:

60d x 17, 5.5" Blue x 1, 5" Blue x 1, G5 x 1

All but one of the bends double overhand - feeling pretty good with this style.

MeatLoaf - thanks for the kind words - just working on the bending and pushing to reach my goal.

And having fun on the way!

Brett

I predict Brett will have slain the red dragon before Christmas, and will have become the lightest man to do so. It was almost funny watching him bend at AOBS last weekend - he is such a nice guy until he started bending, at which time he got all red faced and was just attacking bolts. Like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

Thanks Clay -

You have to be able to flip that switch and make that change in order to hit that intensity.

About being the lightest - Pat and I weigh almost the same at the moment - so no lightest bender for me. :(

:D

But RED will fall!

Brett

GREAT day of bending today!! :rock

I had the chance again to do a freestyle kettlebell workout outside today - actually if you have watched a sporting event from Pittsburgh you would recognize the spot - I am right outside of Heinz field across from the Point (large fountain) - great place to be in nice weather.

The KB workout was a variety of drills - windmills, bent press, single leg squats and lots of kettlebell juggling and open hand drills - with a 24kg KB for about an hour. Loads of fun!

When I got into work I did some bending:

60d x 2

5.5"G5 x 2

6"G5 x 4

pre-kinked G8 x 1 - to a full bend

fresh G8 x 1

6"G5 x 1

60d x 1

The G8 felt great today - the pre-kinked one went so well i decided to try a fresh one and it went down in less than 2 minutes. Both felt great - the double overhand style is really getting dialed in.

Now to cut some G8s and work on the drill rod that Jeff P sent me.

Brett

Brett-

What are you doing in Pittsburgh?

You are only an hour and a half from me. Jedd, Smitty, and I are getting together Saturday morning to get stoned. ;)

You should make the trip over!

Rick Walker :rock

Rick,

I would love to get stoned!! But I am working this Saturday and can't get out of it.

Damn job!! :angry:

Seriously - let me know what is going on the in the near future and I will try to get over there.

Brett

Looks like you're movin' in for the kill, Brett! :rock

Eric,

I feel like I made another jump forward - we will see how things go tomorrow - one of the most difficult things right now is not bending everyday -

I do see RED in my future!

Brett

Today:

Bending - 60d x 32

Good volume PR - all double overhand - broke it into "sets" of 6 nails as quick as I could then a short break and then another set.

I am finding that rotating intensity and volume is very important - something I have done a poor job of bending because the temptation is always there to go for a big bend.

Today I did wrap up a G8 but found it wasnt' going to go - but realized that even after a day of rest my last bending session was a huge jump forward and I am still recovering - so to speak - just have to take what the day gives you and move along. Had fun with the 60s.

Monday I will go for a G5 volume PR and rest a couple of days before bending in St. Paul.

Brett

Pretty good training day:

Zircher Squats

135x4

185x1

205x1

225x1

235x1

245x1

Threw in a set of hammer curls 1x5 @50#

Also I was doing a single leg squat with each leg for every plate I put on and took off the bar.

Bending: 60d x 2, Grade 5 bolt x 10, 60d x 4

Volume PR for the G5 bolts.

First day for the Zircher squats - they felt good - interesting lift.

Brett

Great job Brett!

Nice volume on the G5's!

Where the Zerchers taken off the floor or the rack? They're awesome for upper back stability and hip strength. Prevent some biceps issues by wrapping knee wraps around the bar or sliding a 4" CPVC pipe over the bar (warning this is a lot tougher!).

Smitty,

The Zirchers were off the rack - step back - full squat and back to the rack -

They felt really good - as you said alot of hip drive, abdominal and upper back work.

I will work on the wrapping material - thanks for the tip.

And the G5s felt good today but numbers 9 and 10 were the last for the day -

Brett

As you have seen on the other posts I bent Thursday with Jeff and Dave and the MSP crew -

I wasn't keeping strict record but went something like this-

TT x 1

60dx1

G5x1

G8 x 1

6.5" RED bent to about 60degrees

and then pretty much done - I fought with that RED to try to finish it but no luck - But just knowing that I can bend a RED that far is awesome! May have had some other bends in there but the RED was all that mattered.

On Saturday night I did some bending for some friends:

60d x 2

G8 x 1

5.5"G5 x 1

G5x 1

G8x 1

G5 x 4

60d x 1

Volume PR for G8s - two in a session - might have bent a couple more 60d but wasn't keeping track.

Today I should have known better but went for some bending anyway:

60dx 2

G5 x 1

6.75" RED x slight kink

6.5" RED x slight kink

G8 x slight kink

5.5"G5 x 0

I have to learn that if I am going to fight with a PR bend then the rest of the bends should be easy! And did this after some zircher squats so I was "warm".

But everytime I fight steel I get stronger and learn.

Time to cycle back and work a little volume and rest and then try for PRs once a week (or so :blink )

Brett

Brett, amazing progress buddy!

Is it because you feel more comfortable starting a 6 1/2" Red, as opposed to an uncut one, that you skipped the 7 incher and went straight to the 6 1/2 incher? For me, the initial kink of any given piece of steel feels most comfortable in the 6 to 6 1/2" range. Of course the crushdown is a different matter.

By the way, is your current technique similar to the one I'm using?

Thanks Guys - I was really pumped after my RED attempt on Thursday -

Eric,

Oddly enough I do feel much more comfortable on a shorter bend - 6.5" seemed to work out well - i tried a 6.75 yesterday and it seemed somewhat comfortable but not as good as the 6.5 - and I know what you mean about the crushdown -

The RED on last thursday was 1/4" or more offcenter and I just couldn't get the right leverage on it to finish it.

I am bending double overhand very similar to your style - very much under the chin and I end up getting "over" the nail (if that makes any sense).

Feel like I am on the edge of hitting RED - just have to be smart and get there.

Brett

Pretty good day:

Did some Kettlebell juggling and various drills

Then at work: bending

60dx 2

5.5"G5x 1

slightly kinked G8 x 4

G5 x 1

60dx 18

Zircher DL 225 x 1,1,1

Single leg squats 4sets of 3 r+L with 45#

The G8s felt really good today - they were very slightly kinked and now they are conquered!!

The RED is lurking right there.

Brett

Did a variety of bending this weekend - between Saturday and Sunday I put away some good bends:

Saturday:

60dx2, G5 x 1, G8 x 1, 7"Drill rod (.290 I think), 5.5" G5 x 1, 60dx 2

Sunday:

60d x 4, G5 x 1, G8 x 1, 7"Drill Rod (.295 I think)

Also found an Old York 70# dumbbell at a Play It Again Sports and took it to my parents house and cut the handle off - My new 35# Blobber!

On Saturday I did around 10-12 singles per hand - this new block weight is a perfect stepping stone for now and getting the feel for the slopped sides is really cool. My hands really felt this block weight.

Also made a few attempts at the RED this weekend and think I have finally found my groove on the 7" REDS - The 7" Drill rod that Jeff P had sent me was perfect.

Since Clay and Jeff and Strongmitts jumped ahead of me I am really feeling the need to put one of these babies away!!!

Brett