My Bending Log

David Ostlund

5/5

2 HD TT's

4 6" Grade 5's

30 60D Nails

Bending felt a little tougher last night because I was exhausted after training Atlas Stones. Stones went fantastic though. I loaded my 375 lb stone to 61" and my 425 lb stone to 53", two huge PR's for me. I've been so close on so many occasions with that 375 to 61".

Hoping to hit the big bends on Sunday again.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Ostlund

• EricMilfeld

• JeffPeterson

• gazza

Very impressive performance with those atlas stones. :bow

375 lb stone to 61" and my 425 lb stone to 53",

Very impressive!! :rock

Dave, you're a pretty tall guy, right? Must help with a long wingspan!!!

Smitty,

I'm 6'7" tall. It definitely helps having longer arms to wrap around the stones.

5/9

2 HD TT's

1 60D

1 7"x5/16" brass

0 4.5" Grade 5

0 7"x.316" drill rod

1 7"x5/16" HR steel

1 6.5"x1/4" square steel

1 7"x11/32" brass

19 6" Grade 5's

5 6.5"x1/4" hex steel

1 60D nail

All in all this was a crappy bending day. My hands kept slipping off the ends on my double underhand portion of the bend.

Edited by David Ostlund

1 7"x5/16" HR steel

1 6.5"x1/4" square steel

1 7"x11/32" brass

19 6" Grade 5's

5 6.5"x1/4" hex steel

1 60D nail

All in all this was a crappy bending day.

I realize you are bending with the gods, but if this is a crappy bending day, sign me up for two of them! :D

Just kidding. Take heart, you will be back to your world class level soon, after a little rest. :bow:rock

Dave,

19 Grade 5 bolts - :rock

I agree with Chris - sign me up for 2!

A couple of days off and you'll hit another great day!

Brett

I've been out of the loop for a little bit and had no idea of your recent progress.

Amazing work Dave. Simply insane. :bow

Dave,

Impressive log. You mention ice baths often and I was wondering temp? duration? I currently do hot and cold baths 2 min on 2 mmin off, rotation. Cold is ice cold water with a tray of ice, hot is what ever I can stand. is this what you are doing? I am always interested in preventive measures so I can train another day.

Sean.

Sean,

That is pretty much what I do as well. Although at the beginning the hot water is so hot that I can only stand it for about 15 seconds at a time. I have to dull the nerves by going for a couple cycles before I can do a full minute or more in hot.

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I have found that if I Ice and Heat as religiously as I work on my hand strength I can train consistanly with out injury. I have had two shoulder reconstructions while wrestling in college and I know the benefits of preventive measures. I blew out a bunch of tendons and tore a serious amount of cartilage and Ice was the answer; that and consistant rehab. Thanks again for the input. Your log has inspired me to incorperate bending into my workout in the future when I cycle out of KTA. thanks again.

Sean.

I didn't know you were a bender Dave. It's looking good.

I used to bend 60 brights in '00 with and inch cut off, but it was for a comp and I quit afterwards. I just might have to get back into it.

Brian,

Good to see you on the gripboard. You should start up again. a 60D with an inch cut off is a good bend. After you bend a couple of weeks try some 6"x1/4" Grade 5 bolts. Nice job on the hublifting BTW.

5/20

40 60D's

2 5.5" Grade 5's

4 5"x.1875"x.5" HR Flat bar

My hands and wrists are absent of any soreness today. I am looking forward to bending some bigger stuff on Saturday. Probably the package of certification bars and bolts I have from John Beatty.

You are a MONSTER! your bending is unreal! :rock good luck with the cert bars (not that you need luck).

-CHRIS

That's weird wrist and hand pain was totaaly absent for me yesterday as well. I guess Saturday we'll both have to hit some serious bends!

Edited by JeffPeterson

5/22

3 HD TT's

1 60D

1 6"x5/16" brass

Fail John Beatty 5/16"x7" stock

4 7"x5/16" stock (hard variety)

2 7"x5/16" stock (easy variety)

1 6"x19/64" drill rod

6 5"x.5"x.1875" HR Flat Bar

John Beatty's 5/16" stock is hard as a brick!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, I know you've been tuning up for the big comp and probably haven't been bending a lot recently. You got plans to start again soon?