My Bending Log

David Ostlund

I thought after my bending session last night I should start a log here to keep track of it and to get some feedback from all the great benders on this board.

For the last month or so I've been bending three days a week doing a light, medium, and heavy day. So far this week my sessions have looked like this:

3/16 Tuesday: 50 HD Timber Ties focusing on speed, technique, and explosiveness

(light day) Ice hands and wrists afterward

3/18 Thursday: 3 HD Timber Ties

(medium day) 10 60D nails

4 6" Grade 5 bolts

10 6" Blue nails

5 HD Timber Ties

Ice hands and wrists afterwards

My heavy day will be this Sunday at Jeff P's house.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Ostlund

• EricMilfeld

• JeffPeterson

• gazza

Austin,

I'm also working on thickbar in the gym for an upcoming strongman contest. Two of the events are a 500 deadlift for reps on a 2" bar and a 265 lb clean and press for reps on the same bar. I'm also still doing some blobs and plate curls.

Here's my latest session:

3/21 (Heavy day)

Qty/Type

3 HD Timber ties

1 6" IM blue

1 7" 3/8" aluminum stock (first aluminum bend for me, felt easier than a blue)

1 240k Challenge bar(unofficially) this felt really easy!!

1 247.5k Challenge bar(unofficially) also felt easy

1 260k Challenge bar(unofficially) tough at the start, but then just melted.

1 6" Grade 8 bolt Tough the whole way through

0 7" IM Red (made an attempt but could only put a small kink in it)

2 6" Grade 5 bolts

2 5" 3/16"x1/2" HR flat bar

Ice hands and wrists afterward

I still have no idea how I did those C-bars since I could not do the 240k last week. I felt like I was in a video game after I had entered a cheat code. I have never made that kind of progress in one week on any kind of physical activity in my life.

Edited by David Ostlund

I had a very similar experience about six weeks ago. Until then my best result was a 220k Challenge bar. Then one day I started with couple of <200k bars which felt really easy. I then attempted the 220k bar which I bent with some difficulty (way off centre). The following 230k bar went down easily and so did the next 240k (both way off centre). I finally put a kink into a 247.5k bar. Next workout my 220k+ strength was all gone and did not return slowly until very recently.

yes. I find that I can only do very hard bends once in a while, and I take lots of time to recover from them. I usually bend medium hard steel for some time, then attempt a hard one, then go back to medium steel again for at least two weeks.

almost every time I did not respect that timetable my body stopped me. I cannot even comprehend how guys like Pat could bend to their limit everyday (at least, from what I understood).

david

ps: oh and by the way, Dave and Mikael: impressive bends!! and progression!! congrats.

Edited by the swiss

The G8 was quite tough throughout. Definitely tougher than a 260k bar. This is what I did for bending last night:

3/23 (light day):

10 HD timber ties

10 60D nails

10 HD timber ties

10 60D nails

10 HD timber ties

ice hands and wrists afterwards

I should note that all the 60D's I've been doing are ones I bought at Fleet Farm.

3/25 (medium day)

2 HD Timber Ties

1 60d nail

10 6" Grade 5 bolts

20 6" pieces of 3/8" Aluminum

ice hands and wrists afterwards

I tried to do the 20 pieces of Aluminum straight through but started slowing after about 14 or 15.

3/28

2 HD Timber Ties

1 6" blue nail

0 6" Titanium stock (I got a good kink in it but it wouldn't go further)

0 5.5" Grade 8 (it bent a little but just sprung back when I let up)

1 247.5kg C-bar

1 240kg C-bar

5 6" Grade 5's

5 5.5" FBBC 1/4" round

3 5" HR Flat bar

Then I finished a few kinked pieces that Jeff had sitting in his basement.

3/30

50 HD Timber Ties

Ice bath for a long time.

My hands and wrists still felt beat up after Sunday's session so I didn't include any 60D bends on my high volume day. After this week I might go down to 2 days a week of bending since the intensity of my medium days has increased. Can't wait for my new stock to arrive. I have some 5/16" brass and HR steel on the way.

Great log David. Lots of volume!

Thanks Clay and everyone else who has posted here.

4/1 (medium day)

2 HD Timber Ties

1 60D Nail

5 6" Grade 5's

3 6" Grade 8's

8 60D Nails

I was not planning on doing anything heavier than a Grade 5 today but they felt so good I had to try the 8's. I was a bit sluggish the last 2 workouts but I think I'm making progress again. I can't wait for Sunday.

David

Excellent progress,the RED is just around the corner :D

What do you rate your 60d nails that you bend in volume at.

Is the bending helping or hindering your strongman training,i would think it will help,but you might have to the weekly workouts of one or the other,i am not in your league in bending or strongman but would still be intersted in your findings.

Amaury

Haven,t bent anything or lifted in nearly 3months,have lost 17.5lbs bodyweight and feel like shit lol,but the journey to the destination is sometimes long and hard,so i will be looking forward to the challenge,as for the challenge bars dont think i could even kink a 200k at the moment :D

Congrats on your bending you are realy excelling more so considering your bodyweight,good look at the next Swiss comp :D

Gazza,

I think all of the bending I'm doing is helping strongman training to a small degree, but only on grip related events. Joel and I have been doing our cleans and deadlifts on a 2.5" diameter bar lately and the bending may be helping that along a bit. After the first two weeks of bending I think my hands and wrists toughened up a bit and they don't hurt as much anymore. Icing and contrast baths have really helped.

The 60d's I bend are probably in the 190k range, maybe a little more.

4/4

2 HD Timber Ties

1 60D Nail

1 7"x9/32" steel

1 6"x9/32" steel

1 7"x19/64" steel

0 7"x5/16" HR steel (good sized kink)

0 6"x19/64" steel

2 5"x1/4" hex bronze

I was pretty much shot after trying the 5/16" piece and even the bronze at the end felt tough. The red is getting closer though.

EDIT: This is Dave even though I accidently posted as Joe Peterson.

Edited by Slayer

Dave O. Tell us when is the red attempt coming? Inquiring minds want to know. If it's in the next couple weeks let's have the benders over again.

Dave O. Tell us when is the red attempt coming? Inquiring minds want to know. If it's in the next couple weeks let's have the benders over again.

Yes, I'll definitely make the next session.

BC.

David O., I really think your potential is huge. Your progress, as already stated, truly is remarkable. I'm pulling for you to nail that Red real soon!

And your volume... makes me ashamed of my own workouts! :laugh

Thanks Eric, that means a lot coming from you. I started serious bending at the end of February with a goal of doing the Red in August. I'm hoping to get there sooner now. Starting this week I'm going to incorporate a little more leverage work into my training and go down to two days a week of bending. One day of the week will be dedicated to bending various stock like aluminum, bronze, flat bar, and bolts while the other day will be strictly steel of different thicknesses. I am very happy that mcmaster-carr carries twelve different diameters of steel that are inbetween blue and red thickness. My wrists are my weak point right now and I think one day of heavy levering per week will add some horsepower.

David

I think that once you and Eric both adapt routines that work best for yous then there will be no stopping you.

Hell you knocking on the REDS door and Eric just getting certified on the RED both in a very short time is awesome and shows what future talent you both have,of coarse none of this would be poseble without the likes of PAT,BIG STEVE,SHRUG,the HOLLESand STEVE WEINER paveing the way and continueingly setting the pace for us all to follow.

Once the imposible has been done,it shows us all that a mere human can achieve most things if he sets his sites and works hard enough he too can attain greatness :bow

of coarse none of this would be poseble without the likes of PAT,BIG STEVE,SHRUG,the HOLLESand STEVE WEINER paveing the way and continueingly setting the pace for us all to follow.

Once the imposible has been done,it shows us all that a mere human can achieve most things if he sets his sites and works hard enough he too can attain greatness :bow

Right on Gazza!