How long to close the #3?

FL4K

This was my answer from one of those other threads:

There is no good answer for how long. It's up to you and what you're capable of. It took me 2-3 years of dedicated training. I lived and breathed grippers and constantly tried to learn anything I could. It has taken 8-10 years of dedicated work for some. Other guys close it on their first try.

• Like 3

@FL4K It's too bad that you edited away the original title. I am going to restore that even though your post will be gone. Some people who have not seen one of these threads might like to add their perspective to this one. :) 

• Like 1

I only knew how to TNS my first couple months trying grippers, because I could do a 2.5 my first time trying grippers I eventually ordered a 3 and was almost TNSing it then someone online told me to try setting it so with a bad technique wide set I closed the 3 with CCS first time trying a set within around a few months of having ever tried a CoC gripper. If I had any proper instruction I probably could have closed a 3 my first day trying grippers but I had no idea what I was doing

• Like 1

First Gripper obtained, Christmas, 1998

First Number 3 closed, May, 2007.

Met some Grip guys at my first contest, March, 2004. The 49 Year Old me thought: “If those punks can do it, so can I”. Believing in yourself is very important.

• Like 6

As Cannon and the previous threads have mentioned - the timing all depends on the starting point, training, and varies completely from person to person.

For me, I will get my first CoC 3 close sometime in the next month most likely. It will be about 2 years and 5 months from the starting point of below the CoC Trainer. I think most people of my age, size and stature could replicate this time frame, or be slightly faster or slower.

17 minutes ago, Jared P said:

As Cannon and the previous threads have mentioned - the timing all depends on the starting point, training, and varies completely from person to person.

For me, I will get my first CoC 3 close sometime in the next month most likely. It will be about 2 years and 5 months from the starting point of below the CoC Trainer. I think most people of my age, size and stature could replicate this time frame, or be slightly faster or slower.

I started grippers exactly 1 day after you did for comparison

I'm at 2 years 5 months also and working on the heaviest 3.5 i could find now (rgc 187) having closed 180 so far

So far I have had the same gripper progress timeline as when Carl Myerscough started grippers; we both closed a 2.5 the first day, a 3 within a few months, a 3.5 within a year, so my first couple years has been going well, and I've made a lot more progress in my 2nd year (well I guess I'm halfway through my 3rd year now) than my 1st now that I've better learned how to train

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 3