Captains of Crush #3 - #3.5, How long?

AdriaanRobert96

So as the title states, how long has it taken you to do the #3 to #3.5 jump?

And how did you go about it?

Would love to get other peoples perspective and experiences😁

• Like 1

This is from a deep set perspective, It took me around a month of grip training to close a #3, After that point (due to extremely sub par training, flip flopping programs etc etc) it took me almost exactly a year after that to close the #3.5

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

This is from a deep set perspective, It took me around a month of grip training to close a #3, After that point (due to extremely sub par training, flip flopping programs etc etc) it took me almost exactly a year after that to close the #3.5

Impressive for sure😮💨I am a total of 4 months and about 2 weeks in since I closed the #3.

It’s been 3 months and 2 weeks since I closed the #3 and I got about 5mm left on the #3.5 from a wide set..

The last 5mm are such a struggle🥲😂

I think I closed the 3 with an deep set for the first time in 2006 and I’m not sure from the top of my head but I think I closed the 3.5 in 2016. So it took about 10 years. I never prioritized grip for more than a few months at a time though and it was mostly something I did on the side of steel bending or other pursuits. 

I don’t think there’s a set answer for this though. Fore some it’ll be very quick and for others it’ll never happen at all. It all depends on your natural talents for grippers and how serious you are with your training.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I think I closed the 3 with an deep set for the first time in 2006 and I’m not sure from the top of my head but I think I closed the 3.5 in 2016. So it took about 10 years. I never prioritized grip for more than a few months at a time though and it was mostly something I did on the side of steel bending or other pursuits. 

I don’t think there’s a set answer for this though. Fore some it’ll be very quick and for others it’ll never happen at all. It all depends on your natural talents for grippers and how serious you are with your training.

Well said, it’s highly varied depending on each person.

Fun to hear everyones experiences😏

• Like 1

First #3 close was 2006 (17 years old)

First #3.5 close 2021 (lowest rated #3 by Cannon. RGC 158) 

First time closing a RGC 170 2022(around a average 3.5) 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, stranger said:

First #3 close was 2006 (17 years old)

First #3.5 close 2021 (lowest rated #3 by Cannon. RGC 158) 

First time closing a RGC 170 2022(around a average 3.5) 

Oh man, mad strength right there😎Well done, still training?

• Like 1

Just now, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh man, mad strength right there😎Well done, still training?

Thanks man! Yea, I'm still training. Just got back on grippers, was dealing with an injury but feeling better now. 

• Like 1

I went from GHP-block closing a 152 rated CoC 3 from just messing around with no programming and just going nuts maxing all the time, to running Jedd's Cadence Based Training program, which by the end of I had both MMS'd a 167 rated 3.5, and GHP-block setted a 159 Rated CoC 3.5 (and GHP block setted a Stanrard cobalt 163).

I'm currently working on turning the 167 3.5 MMS into a GHP block set, I pretty consistently am getting 1 mm away at the moment but I've also only just started focusing on it very recently. I did block set a 173 grip genie 6 but I don't really count it since the handles and spread are both smaller, it's just different. I haven't really tried to do anything with my 173 average coc 3.5 yet other than close it choked, which is pretty easy.

Highly recommend getting a standard cobalt or a lighter 3.5 to get yourself working up to what an average 3.5 would be like.

To answer the actual question though I guess I would say the like 8 weeks of running an actual program and stopping just messing around maxing all the time without doing real training.

Oh wait the question was from first closing a 3 to first closing a 3.5, I would say about a year then, and this was not a linear thing I was working towards, was on and off with grippers and using other implements, I did not really ever think I would be closing a 3.5.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stranger said:

Thanks man! Yea, I'm still training. Just got back on grippers, was dealing with an injury but feeling better now. 

Sounds great, go slow and get them grip gains fam😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

I went from GHP-block closing a 152 rated CoC 3 from just messing around with no programming and just going nuts maxing all the time, to running Jedd's Cadence Based Training program, which by the end of I had both MMS'd a 167 rated 3.5, and GHP-block setted a 159 Rated CoC 3.5 (and GHP block setted a Stanrard cobalt 163).

I'm currently working on turning the 167 3.5 MMS into a GHP block set, I pretty consistently am getting 1 mm away at the moment but I've also only just started focusing on it very recently. I did block set a 173 grip genie 6 but I don't really count it since the handles and spread are both smaller, it's just different. I haven't really tried to do anything with my 173 average coc 3.5 yet other than close it choked, which is pretty easy.

Highly recommend getting a standard cobalt or a lighter 3.5 to get yourself working up to what an average 3.5 would be like.

To answer the actual question though I guess I would say the like 8 weeks of running an actual program and stopping just messing around maxing all the time without doing real training.

Oh wait the question was from first closing a 3 to first closing a 3.5, I would say about a year then, and this was not a linear thing I was working towards, was on and off with grippers and using other implements, I did not really ever think I would be closing a 3.5.

Wow man that’s so nice, especially it not being a linear training..

Standard cobalt is good to transfer over to #3.5 you say?

I am only familiar with the Captains of Crush atm, only heard about the Cobalt, Tungsten and Grip Genie😅

Any specific advice on shutting the last mms or just keep gripping?

23 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Wow man that’s so nice, especially it not being a linear training..

Standard cobalt is good to transfer over to #3.5 you say?

I am only familiar with the Captains of Crush atm, only heard about the Cobalt, Tungsten and Grip Genie😅

Any specific advice on shutting the last mms or just keep gripping?

Thanks. Standards are truly awesome grippers. Yes, the cobalt is the perfect bridge gripper for 3 to 3.5, which otherwise really nothing exists other than the very rare high 3 or low 3.5, or modifying 3's with filing/bumping. Because 3 to 3.5 actually is quite a large jump, especially at that level.

It took me a while to get used to Standard cause I have average if not smaller hands so when a gripper opens up, I do feel some sliding/scraping, & Standard used to eat up a certain spot on my hand. I since have filed the knurling on all of mine to my liking, just enough so it is knurled but not uncomfortable. I use them way more often now. It's my GHP's which now feel the sharpest in comparison.

Cobalt and Tungsten are only 2 of the standard grippers, there's a whole line, I have heard of people buying the lighter ones that were trying to make very small jumps between what are already CoC bridge grippers (like filling a gap between 1.5 and 2 which is already such a small area anyways).

I have 2 cobalts, I filed 1 of them, I have 2 Fe's, and a Platinum. One of my Fe's is an extra wide 3+" spread which just about turns it into a cobalt, and one of my cobalts is slightly lighter than the range typically they are shooting for, just making a point that even the grippers outside the typical spectrum that are considered manufacturing defects are still great grippers to use, that's how good they are.

Grip Genie is really only worth getting for the novelty of the colors, they have heavy grips springs in them so they are narrow and also skinny handles so they are much easier and you can do a lot more on them but then go back to 19 mm grippers and still have work to do. They only close 2 mm deeper, so any filed regular gripper is already outdoing them. I actually filed a GG5 for the lulz. I really just wanted them for the blue GG3 because I like blue lol.

I don't really train mms very often, mostly GHP block sets, my advice would just to be to get really good at setting, finger placement, make sure to figure out what all of your own personal cues are for your body type, hand size, and style. Be consistent, but do try new things to make tweaks and see if it helps. I used to wear myself out setting average coc 3's and now I can set grippers in the 160's & 170's like it's nothing, so I have a lot more grip power on reserve now since I'm less tapped out from setting.

I also like to include doing choked & or filed stuff pretty regularly as accessory work just so I am getting practice in these ranges. I also very recently filed my entire line of warmup grippers just to get myself mentally used to always doing a deeper close, & not hitting regular grippers until I am closer to near my max territory. Lately, I have been doing all filed until the first non-filed gripper I hit is near 160 RGC, and also hitting really grippers I could already do but filed them to give them new range of what I am aiming for for my un-filed desired max, & so on. I could already close my heaviest cobalt so I filed it so at least I can continue to progress into new filed territory, even if I don't fully close it every time. I am also thinking of filing my HG350, cause I'm otherwise finding the 2 HG grippers I own not very useful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

Thanks. Standards are truly awesome grippers. Yes, the cobalt is the perfect bridge gripper for 3 to 3.5, which otherwise really nothing exists other than the very rare high 3 or low 3.5, or modifying 3's with filing/bumping. Because 3 to 3.5 actually is quite a large jump, especially at that level.

It took me a while to get used to Standard cause I have average if not smaller hands so when a gripper opens up, I do feel some sliding/scraping, & Standard used to eat up a certain spot on my hand. I since have filed the knurling on all of mine to my liking, just enough so it is knurled but not uncomfortable. I use them way more often now. It's my GHP's which now feel the sharpest in comparison.

Cobalt and Tungsten are only 2 of the standard grippers, there's a whole line, I have heard of people buying the lighter ones that were trying to make very small jumps between what are already CoC bridge grippers (like filling a gap between 1.5 and 2 which is already such a small area anyways).

I have 2 cobalts, I filed 1 of them, I have 2 Fe's, and a Platinum. One of my Fe's is an extra wide 3+" spread which just about turns it into a cobalt, and one of my cobalts is slightly lighter than the range typically they are shooting for, just making a point that even the grippers outside the typical spectrum that are considered manufacturing defects are still great grippers to use, that's how good they are.

Grip Genie is really only worth getting for the novelty of the colors, they have heavy grips springs in them so they are narrow and also skinny handles so they are much easier and you can do a lot more on them but then go back to 19 mm grippers and still have work to do. They only close 2 mm deeper, so any filed regular gripper is already outdoing them. I actually filed a GG5 for the lulz. I really just wanted them for the blue GG3 because I like blue lol.

I don't really train mms very often, mostly GHP block sets, my advice would just to be to get really good at setting, finger placement, make sure to figure out what all of your own personal cues are for your body type, hand size, and style. Be consistent, but do try new things to make tweaks and see if it helps. I used to wear myself out setting average coc 3's and now I can set grippers in the 160's & 170's like it's nothing, so I have a lot more grip power on reserve now since I'm less tapped out from setting.

I also like to include doing choked & or filed stuff pretty regularly as accessory work just so I am getting practice in these ranges. I also very recently filed my entire line of warmup grippers just to get myself mentally used to always doing a deeper close, & not hitting regular grippers until I am closer to near my max territory. Lately, I have been doing all filed until the first non-filed gripper I hit is near 160 RGC, and also hitting really grippers I could already do but filed them to give them new range of what I am aiming for for my un-filed desired max, & so on. I could already close my heaviest cobalt so I filed it so at least I can continue to progress into new filed territory, even if I don't fully close it every time. I am also thinking of filing my HG350, cause I'm otherwise finding the 2 HG grippers I own not very useful.

Thank you so much for the in depth info lad👍🏼Very well appreciated!

They all sound very intriguing tbh, altho I need to stay away from spending more so since I have a super hard #3 I might work it up to 7-10 reps to bridge the gap even better.

I can already do 7 reps on my average #3, If I don’t close my #3.5 in the upcoming month or two I’ll do reps with the super hard #3.

It’s somewhere around 160+

• Like 1

From 3 to 3.5 years.  I first MMS closed an easy 3 in early 2018 and first MMS closed an easy 3.5 in mid-2021.  After I first closed a light COC3 I stalled and it took another year or so to break through RGC 150.  Then I went for MM1 and then MM2, and figured I was getting close to strength for the IM cert.  When I started training CCS in mid-2021, I got my CCS up to low 150s and as a by-product my MMS improved, so I attempted to MMS my easy 3.5 (RGC 165) in mid-2021, and got it once on video and a couple times not on video.  So I actually went from 3 to 3.5 in from 3 to 3.5 years lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

When I started closing the #3 in 2012, it took approximately 4 months to close the 3.5.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

From 3 to 3.5 years.  I first MMS closed an easy 3 in early 2018 and first MMS closed an easy 3.5 in mid-2021.  After I first closed a light COC3 I stalled and it took another year or so to break through RGC 150.  Then I went for MM1 and then MM2, and figured I was getting close to strength for the IM cert.  When I started training CCS in mid-2021, I got my CCS up to low 150s and as a by-product my MMS improved, so I attempted to MMS my easy 3.5 (RGC 165) in mid-2021, and got it once on video and a couple times not on video.  So I actually went from 3 to 3.5 in from 3 to 3.5 years lol.

Haha😆How funny, and with that said.. wow!

I noticed you’re not the first one to menton that getting a higher CCS leads to bigger closes overall💪🏽

7 hours ago, John McCarter said:

When I started closing the #3 in 2012, it took approximately 4 months to close the 3.5.

Impressive, one of the quickest progress I’ve stumbled upon so far😦

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

NOPE!  Genetics not good enough.  No such thing for me. :) 

20 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

In fact, I had to literally think outside the box of regular training methods to even have a shot at the #3 by the old cert standards (which were easier!)  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

In fact, I had to literally think outside the box of regular training methods to even have a shot at the #3 by the old cert standards (which were easier!)  

That’s more impressive than you’d think tbh, people that can find a way around things that others might not need to.

Grippers are a mysterious things to be frank😆

23 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

That’s more impressive than you’d think tbh, people that can find a way around things that others might not need to.

Grippers are a mysterious things to be frank😆

It took a herculean effort with extreme discipline and never give up attitude to cert.  To be frank, I am not sure I could have certified using the new rules. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

It took a herculean effort with extreme discipline and never give up attitude to cert.  To be frank, I am not sure I could have certified using the new rules. 

Well, we’ll never know if you won’t try😅

How much do you weigh if you don’t mind me asking?

10 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Impressive, one of the quickest progress I’ve stumbled upon so far😦

Forgot to mention it took almost 5 years to close the #3.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Forgot to mention it took almost 5 years to close the #3.

Oh really? 

So hopefully without coming off the wrong way, could it have been a matter of having a more optimal training program?

Maybe overtraining/ too little training or inconsistent?

So these are just assumptions, and I apologize in advance if I am mistaken by any of these.. my intention isn’t to be a judge here.. just genuinely curious :D

3 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh really? 

So hopefully without coming off the wrong way, could it have been a matter of having a more optimal training program?

Maybe overtraining/ too little training or inconsistent?

So these are just assumptions, and I apologize in advance if I am mistaken by any of these.. my intention isn’t to be a judge here.. just genuinely curious :D

I didn't zero in on the right training method until 2012. 

Give me a little and I'll share training information later when I have a free time.