What is YOUR grip focus and or goal?

AdriaanRobert96

My main focus at this point is to just be able to train consistently. I want to be like @climber511 and others on here competing and training into my 60's and beyond. 

That said I feel when I first got into grip at 24 everything was so much easier in terms of making gains and recovery. I realize as I get older and have been away from grip I have a finite amount of time to try to reach whatever my potential might be. 

I also think it's important to set reasonable goals that I feel are achievable. So one major goal I want to hit is to certify on coc 3(I could do this now) the 3.5(My best gripper close in contest was a rgc 175 block set and I'm not far from hitting this again) and cert the ironmind red nail reverse in a single ironmind pad-I think noone has done this-(I have done this in the past with a single suede wrap). That would give me every ironmind cert(other then the 4 and gold nail which have yet to be done) which I believe only paul knight has done. 

Another goal is just to compete again as soon as possible and make it a goal to compete once a year at least. I have tons of little goals like lifting the inch/blob/ etc but I think those will come just going to contests more often in a medley. 

• Like 3

Main grip goal and focus: CoC 3 certification within a maximum of 2 years from first closing the CoC 2.5 (which should be this month). If sooner, even better. Other grip elements such as armwrestling, bending, card tearing, pinch, rgt, etc also of interest in the future. Ultra long term goals are the outrageous ideas of certifying on the CoC 4 and getting a GHP 10's handles to touch once unassisted. Going to try, and if I come up short, so be it. 'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.' - Norman Vincent Peale

Overall focus: Build a high quality natural physique, and get stronger and healthier for the rest of the my life. Never stop, and never quit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

My main focus at this point is to just be able to train consistently. I want to be like @climber511 and others on here competing and training into my 60's and beyond. 

That said I feel when I first got into grip at 24 everything was so much easier in terms of making gains and recovery. I realize as I get older and have been away from grip I have a finite amount of time to try to reach whatever my potential might be. 

I also think it's important to set reasonable goals that I feel are achievable. So one major goal I want to hit is to certify on coc 3(I could do this now) the 3.5(My best gripper close in contest was a rgc 175 block set and I'm not far from hitting this again) and cert the ironmind red nail reverse in a single ironmind pad-I think noone has done this-(I have done this in the past with a single suede wrap). That would give me every ironmind cert(other then the 4 and gold nail which have yet to be done) which I believe only paul knight has done. 

Another goal is just to compete again as soon as possible and make it a goal to compete once a year at least. I have tons of little goals like lifting the inch/blob/ etc but I think those will come just going to contests more often in a medley. 

I'm going to go for the red myself in the quest to collect them all.  I think it is unanimous the gold will never be bent under the current ruleset.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Well that is a way to look at it and it’s true😂

Altho when I read about bending specifically it’s been said about long lasting nerv damages etc etc..

Will probably start after I am done with grippers, why not😈

Nerve damage is really only a real risk with bending if you do minimal or no padding or if you're insanely strong and bending ridiculous bars. Which you will have conditioned your hands for if you ever get that strong anyway.

8 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

why would you ever be done with grippers

Yeah that’s a good question

So to be more specific…

What I meant was “done” like in have murdered the heaviest #4 possible which is not anytime soon and I am glad that’t the case😂

8 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

You'd have to be really careless to hurt yourself like that with bending.  Get a beginners bending set and you'll see.

Excited to see how it goes, will let ya’ll know when I do that😅

8 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

I train once a week with grippers usually 5 sets for max reps with a gripper I can do anywhere from 3-10 reps with. Beat closes right now are coc 3 CCS, standard cobalt 162rgc from a ghp block set, 165rgc 3.5 from mms and a 173rgc heavy grips 350 from an mms set. Been focusing a little more on other stuff lately as I am doing my first grip comp on Saturday. But still been hitting grippers once a week.

First grip comp you say?

So exciting, wish you the best of luck with that🦍

Those are very impressive gripper closes man, I wish I knew what my #3.5 was :( 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

My main goal is the 3.5 cert, I have the goal of being the first and only australian to certify on it and at this point it doesn't feel like it would be an impossible task

Based on how well you do I’d say that won’t be an issue for you pal, you gripper closes are mad😎

6 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

My focus: cert ghp 7

Goals: lift the inch db, pinch 2 45lb/20kg one handed, lift the real dinnie stones, go for MM1, and keep competing and progressing in gripsport

Love that you have so many goals, it really keepa you going👍🏼

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seoyoon said:

My goal is ghp9 gripper certification

I am planning to try certification for the first time as a Korean within this year.

GHP9 cert is quite a mad goal and I love it, how’s training going for it?

I wish you much luck, you’ll get it😎👍🏼

6 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

My current goal is MM0 with my 150 CoC 3. For long term, I would be pretty ecstatic if I could one day cert on the 3 and reach MM2, especially considering I was one of those guys who took weeks/months to even close the CoC 1 for the first time back in the day. I’d also like to hit at least MM0 with my left hand. For a more all-around-ish goal, I’d like to one day do Crushed to Dust, not necessarily in an official capacity. 

Well I believe that you can do it, and don’t let yourself get discouraged because if that..

Some people progress fast in the beginning and slow down, some slower and then it goes up :) 

2 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I really appreciate the fact that you said: “it’s important to set reasonable goals” which I fully agree with..

So many over the top goals just may lead to disappointment, I’ve learned that having mini goals to try and reach consistently while reaching for the big goals will keep your drive up and make things smoother.

I also wanna be able to do this for as long as possible :D 

2 hours ago, Jared P said:

Main grip goal and focus: CoC 3 certification within a maximum of 2 years from first closing the CoC 2.5 (which should be this month). If sooner, even better. Other grip elements such as armwrestling, bending, card tearing, pinch, rgt, etc also of interest in the future. Ultra long term goals are the outrageous ideas of certifying on the CoC 4 and getting a GHP 10's handles to touch once unassisted. Going to try, and if I come up short, so be it. 'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.' - Norman Vincent Peale

Overall focus: Build a high quality natural physique, and get stronger and healthier for the rest of the my life. Never stop, and never quit.

Ah man… this brought a tear to my eye😅Beautifully said mate!

Love the fact that you have reasonable “short” term goals aswell.

2 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I'm going to go for the red myself in the quest to collect them all.  I think it is unanimous the gold will never be bent under the current ruleset.

If I may ask, what are the rules for bending (current ruleset)?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Nerve damage is really only a real risk with bending if you do minimal or no padding or if you're insanely strong and bending ridiculous bars. Which you will have conditioned your hands for if you ever get that strong anyway.

Phew alrighty then, makes me a little more comfortable getting into it😅

Thanks pal, wasn’t sure about this ever since I read that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

If I may ask, what are the rules for bending (current ruleset)?

I bend because I love it, I honestly have no plans on certing... Especially with Ironmind. But with some other companies I would in order to show my support.

. @Londonjoseph is the first to do a red with new rules... 

Yes give it a go. Start very slow and allow plenty of recovery. I don't remember if you do or not, but get a sledge and start conditioning those wrists.. Bending is so rewarding, the mental and physical strength it builds is incredible. 

• Like 2

It's always good to know the risk with everything but as already mentioned this will most likely only happen if you're very careless and don't listen to the signals your body gives you. I've got some nerve damage from bending and the only thing I had to do was stop bending in thin wraps then it went away.

Also if you're so strong that you're bending bars that could potentially give you this even with thick wrapping it's way more likely that you will pull a muscle or break a bone before you can apply enough pressure to cause nerve damage.

• Like 2

I have no true grip goals at this point - I managed to do everything I wanted except lift the Inch - and I got it to my knee before having to return it to it's owner.  Now it's just trying to hold on as best I can to all the "standard" feats of grip strength.  My focus at the moment is a return to climbing - on our 27th and 42 anniversary my wife and I climbed Triconi Nail in the Black Hills of South Dakota - we want to do again on our 50th this year - so lots of indoor climbing going on with hang board work etc. I'm not doing much at all of Grip Sport" training. I do sort of test now and then to see where I stand on them - I've lost quite a bit but still seems to be doing OK.  I do seem to be able to come back to close to where I was with some specific training.  Losing more on big muscle lifts than the grip stuff.  Not quite over the hill yet but coming down the other side now.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I have no true grip goals at this point - I managed to do everything I wanted except lift the Inch - and I got it to my knee before having to return it to it's owner.  Now it's just trying to hold on as best I can to all the "standard" feats of grip strength.  My focus at the moment is a return to climbing - on our 27th and 42 anniversary my wife and I climbed Triconi Nail in the Black Hills of South Dakota - we want to do again on our 50th this year - so lots of indoor climbing going on with hang board work etc. I'm not doing much at all of Grip Sport" training. I do sort of test now and then to see where I stand on them - I've lost quite a bit but still seems to be doing OK.  I do seem to be able to come back to close to where I was with some specific training.  Losing more on big muscle lifts than the grip stuff.  Not quite over the hill yet but coming down the other side now.

You’ve got some good genetics. I’m about to 30. I take much better care of myself than most of my family. But I realized I’m about 6 years away from my halfway point. I can picture it now, being about 70 and having the big one in the midst of a bend.🤣

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I bend because I love it, I honestly have no plans on certing... Especially with Ironmind. But with some other companies I would in order to show my support.

. @Londonjoseph is the first to do a red with new rules... 

Yes give it a go. Start very slow and allow plenty of recovery. I don't remember if you do or not, but get a sledge and start conditioning those wrists.. Bending is so rewarding, the mental and physical strength it builds is incredible. 

Yeah so I’ve heard and seen😊I really look forward to starting, and yeah I currently do wrist training with levering once per week in the higher rep ranges for fluid/recovery/prehab a set of 30 reps in all directions.

Honestly I am not quite sure how to go about levering, I’ve tried doing heavy levering but I found higher rep ranges made my wrists and elbow feel so good so I stuck to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's always good to know the risk with everything but as already mentioned this will most likely only happen if you're very careless and don't listen to the signals your body gives you. I've got some nerve damage from bending and the only thing I had to do was stop bending in thin wraps then it went away.

Also if you're so strong that you're bending bars that could potentially give you this even with thick wrapping it's way more likely that you will pull a muscle or break a bone before you can apply enough pressure to cause nerve damage.

Really appreciate the feedback on this pal, I always wanna be educated going into new things since I have a tendency to be obsessive and overdo things😅

4 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Yeah so I’ve heard and seen😊I really look forward to starting, and yeah I currently do wrist training with levering once per week in the higher rep ranges for fluid/recovery/prehab a set of 30 reps in all directions.

Honestly I am not quite sure how to go about levering, I’ve tried doing heavy levering but I found higher rep ranges made my wrists and elbow feel so good so I stuck to it.

I’m sure your tendons and ligaments are well conditioned by now. Stick low reps. I do 5 working sets a week, 3 reps. About every month I move down an inch on the handle. But starting last week I’m doing double sledge levering. Let’s see how it goes.

12 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

My focus: cert ghp 7

Goals: lift the inch db, pinch 2 45lb/20kg one handed, lift the real dinnie stones, go for MM1, and keep competing and progressing in gripsport

I'm pretty sure I've seen you close a (lighter) standard cobalt, I thought you would be well beyond prepared to cert GHP7. You should have that in no time, I'm surprised you're not certified yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bending: 
short term - FBBC sexabastard DU (doubles), FBBC bastard reverse (singles)
med term - Horrido 8.8 DU (doubles), BSC Moose 6" reverse (singles)

Wrist Developer 2:
short term - Level 14 CROM (4-3) for a double
med term - Level 15 CROM (4-4) for a double

Grippers:
short term - MMS Standard Co RGC 165
med term - MMS a GHP #8 or a Standard Ti around RGC 170-172

Pinch:
short term - 50lbs blob lift
med term - 55lbs blob lift

Thick bar:
med term - 140kg/308.6lbs doh deadlift with Fat Gripz (2.25")
long term - lift the inch leveled

Jack of all trades, master of none 😎

Edited by matek
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, matek said:

Bending: 
short term - FBBC sexabastard DU (doubles), FBBC bastard reverse (singles)
mid term - Horrido 8.8 DU (doubles), BSC Moose 6" reverse (singles)

Wrist Developer 2:
short term - Level 14 CROM (4-3) for a double
mid term - Level 15 CROM (4-4) for a double

Grippers:
short term - MMS Standard Co RGC 165
mid term - MMS a GHP #8 or a Standard Ti around RGC 170-172

Pinch:
short term - 50lbs blob lift
mid term - 55lbs blob lift

Thick bar:
mid term - 140kg/308.6lbs doh deadlift with Fat Gripz (2.25")
long term - lift the inch leveled

Jack of all trades, master of none 😎

I would say you are pretty impressive in all of them like the way you laid out shirt medium and long I am redoing mine now haha my post was weak two goals on things I can possibly do now. I’ll add in medium and long term and put down the million other things I would love to be able to pull off. 

• Thanks 1