2023 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

Goodluck to everyone competing tomorrow except the other 120kg guys. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, stranger said:

Goodluck to everyone competing tomorrow except the other 120kg guys. 

Lol thanks man good luck to you too

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

Lol thanks man good luck to you too

You guys will do well. Possibly top venue.  Best of luck Zig! 

• Like 2

If all promoters submit their results on time (by midnight tomorrow) I should be able to post the results by midday Sunday. The good news is that all promoters who have already run their venue have submitted their results, so we’re on track.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, stranger said:

You guys will do well. Possibly top venue.  Best of luck Zig! 

They’ll have a bit of help this year. One of my regulars, Zach Ebel, is competing in Pennsylvania.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

If all promoters submit their results on time (by midnight tomorrow) I should be able to post the results by midday Sunday. The good news is that all promoters who have already run their venue have submitted their results, so we’re on track.

I have four people left for today. Everyone else is so sick that they can't even come at all, even as spectators. The rest of participants already been entered into the protocol. In any case, this year there is less "paperwork" due to the new look of document

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

like I'm trying to get Taylor Swift tickets

HAHAHAHA

We are load testing the new cloud instance of gripboard.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I'm confused here. Is this the only place to see results? No King Kong website? It's my first year competing, and I had a blast at my local venue, but I'm pretty disappointed in this "world championship"...what am I missing? 

26 minutes ago, EnderFitness said:

I'm confused here. Is this the only place to see results? No King Kong website? It's my first year competing, and I had a blast at my local venue, but I'm pretty disappointed in this "world championship"...what am I missing? 

No King Kong website yet -- maybe eventually. For now I keep everything updated on the GripBoard and on Facebook. I rely on the venue promoters to help spread information.

While King Kong is an international contest, it is not a world championship.

Results can be found in this thread: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EnderFitness said:

What you're missing is the part where you say it's your first year of competing and your first move is to go online and knock the competition and let everyone know how "you feel". Does everything you've ever done need a website for you to enjoy it? 

I don't think there's really any grip or armlifiting competition with a dedicated website. Hell the Arnold classic and the Olympia is nothing more than a spreadsheet tab on Armlifting USA's website. 

Guess I can't relate to this disappointment as someone who's done 4-5 different sports 1,000's of games or fights/matches across the country, to include grip and I guess what the "website" looked like never had an effect on me competing. 

Hope you get your website or maybe if you're serious you can run or make one. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, ZRMMA said:

What you're missing is the part where you say it's your first year of competing and your first move is to go online and knock the competition and let everyone know how "you feel". Does everything you've ever done need a website for you to enjoy it? 

I don't think there's really any grip or armlifiting competition with a dedicated website. Hell the Arnold classic and the Olympia is nothing more than a spreadsheet tab on Armlifting USA's website. 

Guess I can't relate to this disappointment as someone who's done 4-5 different sports 1,000's of games or fights/matches across the country, to include grip and I guess what the "website" looked like never had an effect on me competing. 

Hope you get your website or maybe if you're serious you can run or make one. 

Damn dude. Do you feel better now that you ranted on a newbie? Not a very good representation of the sport. I have won a world championship in another sport and have done quite a bit of other competitions in other sports in my life, and I'm just surprised this one is run on a message board - first time I've seen it. The other grip competitions I compete in do have a great website. Calm down.

• Like 1

Can you please link to some of these other websites? It might be good to get an idea around what's around, what people want to see, etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, glenn_the_hunter said:

Can you please link to some of these other websites? It might be good to get an idea around what's around, what people want to see, etc. 

Sure. The other grip comps I've been doing are here: https://www.corefitnesspdx.com/gripmastersrevenge

Check out the Grip Games and Grip Master's Revenge events.

Also check out: http://www.couchpotatostrong.com/events/  This is the venue where I competed in the King Kong. Simple sites, not hard to make. The benefit is that all the info needed is easy to find, as opposed to looking on message boards. If you need to stick to using a message board, it would be helpful if there were an explanation of how this all works for us new people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EnderFitness said:

The benefit is that all the info needed is easy to find, as opposed to looking on message boards. If you need to stick to using a message board, it would be helpful if there were an explanation of how this all works for us new people.

I've realized this would be beneficial for quite some time, now. I just haven't made it a priority. I manage a few different sites already, so really, it wouldn't be very hard.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EnderFitness said:

Sure. The other grip comps I've been doing are here: https://www.corefitnesspdx.com/gripmastersrevenge

Also check out: http://www.couchpotatostrong.com/events/  This is the venue where I competed in the King Kong. Simple sites, not hard to make. The benefit is that all the info needed is easy to find, as opposed to looking on message boards. If you need to stick to using a message board, it would be helpful if there were an explanation of how this all works for us new people.

That's cool, I do like the idea of a centralised history (especially with an 11 year old event) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I've realized this would be beneficial for quite some time, now. I just haven't made it a priority. I manage a few different sites already, so really, it wouldn't be very hard.

I know that when I retire in 7.5 years, I will volunteer my time to help whoever is putting in the time on this kind of thing.  I wish I could spare the time now, but life is too crazy with work crushing me a bit and all kinds of other challenges (kid applying to college, relationship stuff, etc.).  So whoever has the burden in 7.5 years, please hit me up.  It will be my pleasure to offer my time then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EnderFitness said:

Since you are a newbie, here's some info in one place that it took me a while to figure out (and others can add or correct anything I say here):

There are two organizations that run a lot of grip comps in locations all over the world, but probably half or more in North America.  One is Grip Sports International (formerly North American Grip Sports Organization), and the two names that come to mind immediately are @Jedd Johnson and @Eric Roussin.  Most of the competitions  sanctioned by GSI are announced and discussed here: https://www.gripboard.com/forum/15-grip-contests/, and Jedd also has an email newsletter that lately has also been announcing and discussing upcoming competitions.  Results of GSI comps are usually posted in this forum but also are entered into a database here: https://www.gripsport.org/lists.htm

The other group is Arm Lifting USA, whose sanctioned competitions are posted here: https://armliftingusa.com/upcoming-contests, and the results are on that site as well.  They do a multi-venue thing kind of like King Kong.

People sometimes prefer one to the other, but a lot of the same folks go to both.  Some promoters will even arrange to be sanctioned by both organizations, but usually not.  The two organizations have different weight classes and leaderboards, and they tend to contest different implements, although there is definitely some overlap.

You already mentioned couch potato strong.  The couch potato guys -- Frank and Addam -- are great.  I've flown from NY to Portland and Ubered to Vancouver WA to participate in their Golden Potato Competition twice, and this year I was lucky enough to win it.  If you live near them, then their comps are a great first stop (and should be announced on the arm lifting website as well as their own, since they usually sanction with arm lifting USA).

The other site you mentioned is independent, and not sanctioned by either of the big groups I mentioned above.  Their events look fun and if I were nearby I would probably love to try them, but I'm gonna choose something sanctioned over that if I have to travel from NY.

There are also some facebook groups that have activity associated with grip and arm lifting comps.

Zach, with whom you had the small textual skirmish above, is an accomplished grip athlete (well he's a lot of sports athlete but I know him from grip).  He recently began doing a frequent podcast that many of us really enjoy and find helpful, called The Grip Show.  You should check it out.

I did a little doubletake about your comment as well, and I think one of the reasons for that (on my part, I can't speak for Zach) is that King Kong is the biggest annual event in this small sport we love, and it is in some sense a labor of love.  The people running both of these organizations do not get paid (other than collecting membership and/or comp fees, but this is negligible) -- and I assume most of them have day jobs and careers that take up most of their time.  They just want to keep the sport going, and they work hard for no compensation to that end, so those of us who enjoy the sport tend to be very grateful to them.  This year in particular posed extra challenges.  So it seemed a little dismissive to read that from someone who may not really have the whole picture.  I hope you take the time to get more of the picture.  It's a small sport, but a gem.

I am not as accomplished a competitor as Jedd, Eric, or Zach, but I have gotten to know them and many others in my five or six years as an aficionado.  I am coming to feel like this is a home sport/hobby/pastime for me that I will not likely ever give up.  I'd like to see it grow.  In a separate post, I mentioned how I'd love to help with the online presence, or in any other way I can, but that I haven't had time and am hoping to do that when I retire, for free like the guys running it are doing now.  I've mentioned to Zach in the past that I think it would be great to have a more modern stats database, easier to search for your own name or a particular competition, rather than just a leaderboard.  I was glad to see Eric has also thought about some modernization as mentioned in a post in this thread.

Anyway, I'm still at work, I should finish up and get home, it's 10pm here.  Welcome, check out this forum, arm lifting, Zach's blog, and meet some folks.  I've found this to be a great sport.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Since you are a newbie, here's some info in one place that it took me a while to figure out (and others can add or correct anything I say here):

There are two organizations that run a lot of grip comps in locations all over the world, but probably half or more in North America.  One is Grip Sports International (formerly North American Grip Sports Organization), and the two names that come to mind immediately are @Jedd Johnson and @Eric Roussin.  Most of the competitions  sanctioned by GSI are announced and discussed here: https://www.gripboard.com/forum/15-grip-contests/, and Jedd also has an email newsletter that lately has also been announcing and discussing upcoming competitions.  Results of GSI comps are usually posted in this forum but also are entered into a database here: https://www.gripsport.org/lists.htm

The other group is Arm Lifting USA, whose sanctioned competitions are posted here: https://armliftingusa.com/upcoming-contests, and the results are on that site as well.  They do a multi-venue thing kind of like King Kong.

People sometimes prefer one to the other, but a lot of the same folks go to both.  Some promoters will even arrange to be sanctioned by both organizations, but usually not.  The two organizations have different weight classes and leaderboards, and they tend to contest different implements, although there is definitely some overlap.

You already mentioned couch potato strong.  The couch potato guys -- Frank and Addam -- are great.  I've flown from NY to Portland and Ubered to Vancouver WA to participate in their Golden Potato Competition twice, and this year I was lucky enough to win it.  If you live near them, then their comps are a great first stop (and should be announced on the arm lifting website as well as their own, since they usually sanction with arm lifting USA).

The other site you mentioned is independent, and not sanctioned by either of the big groups I mentioned above.  Their events look fun and if I were nearby I would probably love to try them, but I'm gonna choose something sanctioned over that if I have to travel from NY.

There are also some facebook groups that have activity associated with grip and arm lifting comps.

Zach, with whom you had the small textual skirmish above, is an accomplished grip athlete (well he's a lot of sports athlete but I know him from grip).  He recently began doing a frequent podcast that many of us really enjoy and find helpful, called The Grip Show.  You should check it out.

I did a little doubletake about your comment as well, and I think one of the reasons for that (on my part, I can't speak for Zach) is that King Kong is the biggest annual event in this small sport we love, and it is in some sense a labor of love.  The people running both of these organizations do not get paid (other than collecting membership and/or comp fees, but this is negligible) -- and I assume most of them have day jobs and careers that take up most of their time.  They just want to keep the sport going, and they work hard for no compensation to that end, so those of us who enjoy the sport tend to be very grateful to them.  This year in particular posed extra challenges.  So it seemed a little dismissive to read that from someone who may not really have the whole picture.  I hope you take the time to get more of the picture.  It's a small sport, but a gem.

I am not as accomplished a competitor as Jedd, Eric, or Zach, but I have gotten to know them and many others in my five or six years as an aficionado.  I am coming to feel like this is a home sport/hobby/pastime for me that I will not likely ever give up.  I'd like to see it grow.  In a separate post, I mentioned how I'd love to help with the online presence, or in any other way I can, but that I haven't had time and am hoping to do that when I retire, for free like the guys running it are doing now.  I've mentioned to Zach in the past that I think it would be great to have a more modern stats database, easier to search for your own name or a particular competition, rather than just a leaderboard.  I was glad to see Eric has also thought about some modernization as mentioned in a post in this thread.

Anyway, I'm still at work, I should finish up and get home, it's 10pm here.  Welcome, check out this forum, arm lifting, Zach's blog, and meet some folks.  I've found this to be a great sport.

Thank you for taking the time to educate me - I appreciate it! Sorry I came across as dismissive, but please understand I see no way of learning all these things you just typed out by doing google searches for King Kong info.  I was frustrated by spending so much time trying to find a website or really much info at all on what I was competing in. I have not been doing this from the beginning like it seems many of you have. Zach isn't exactly welcoming people to the fold with his attitude. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnderFitness said:

Thank you for taking the time to educate me - I appreciate it! Sorry I came across as dismissive, but please understand I see no way of learning all these things you just typed out by doing google searches for King Kong info.  I was frustrated by spending so much time trying to find a website or really much info at all on what I was competing in. I have not been doing this from the beginning like it seems many of you have. Zach isn't exactly welcoming people to the fold with his attitude. 

The beginning is long before me (I am old but I didn't find it until 6 or 7 years ago).  I think this board might be 20-ish years old.  Eric and Jedd are younger than me but they may have been around grip for 20 years.  But the reason you are not finding an extremely robust, organized front is that there's no money in it.  Who will spend the time and money to do it?

This forum has a lot of information, not always in the first place you look, but it is packed.  I think you will also find a lot of people willing to take some time to communicate with you about the sport, if it interests you enough to interact here.  But going to comps really gets you into it.