Martin's grip log

martincerven

Good looking grippers. The stand is killer, 

• Thanks 1

My new PR, although choked, 136lbs Fe. I enjoy closing without chalk more, I wonder if choked closing like this helps building power in wider sets too 🤔 

Edited by martincerven
137->136
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Made new choker grippers in CPW style, it was easier and harder at the same time than I expected, you definitely need right tools, and probably not worth it for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Just have aluminium fillings everywhere, I hope it goes off from the clothes 😅 

The #3 feels brutal even in choker, way harder than 136 Fe, but I will close it! I just hate doing wide sets so chokers are godsend. 

Will maybe modify my Barabans, since they are also super wide (actually widest) and pain to set. 

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Made new choker grippers in CPW style, it was easier and harder at the same time than I expected, you definitely need right tools, and probably not worth it for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Just have aluminium fillings everywhere, I hope it goes off from the clothes 😅 

The #3 feels brutal even in choker, way harder than 136 Fe, but I will close it! I just hate doing wide sets so chokers are godsend. 

Will maybe modify my Barabans, since they are also super wide (actually widest) and pain to set. 

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

These are really cool! And very impressive you were able to make them! I have never tried a choked gripper, but I have been very curious about them. What are the main benefits of them for you? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IzzyGrasp said:

These are really cool! And very impressive you were able to make them! I have never tried a choked gripper, but I have been very curious about them. What are the main benefits of them for you? 

You don’t have to set them (my tendons kinda click when I do wider sets, so I’m very cautious with that) and with Standard grippers you don’t have to use chalk so it saves a LOT of time if you want to do few singles with rest in between. Since I got Standards I kinda dislike the CoC because their knurling s*cks and they slide in hand, but it’s not so bad in the choker. 

I would not attempt  closing #3 since setting is hard, but now I can at least try it ( and hopefully close it some day).

I will definitely convert my heavier grippers into choked ones sice there is really no downside to it, I won’t wide set close them any time soon. 

So yeah, its easier to close them choked, and If you can close it choked, you can build your range progressively by opening the spread more and more.

• Like 2

Looks good 👍 nice work

I might try to make one myself 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, martincerven said:

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

Good job, looking good!👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

That looks 👍 good nice work

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:14 PM, martincerven said:

Didn’t do grippers for a while and got 71.8kg /157.8 lbs on dynamometer.

Goal for next few weeks is to do 2/3 continous reps with #2.5 and try #3 how far I can go.

29777FC6-D2CA-4563-B3FB-37033D6BC20B.jpeg

Great results, Dyno wise we are at the same level yet i can't quite close my coc 2.5 rated 126lbs, I'm close but haven't closed it yet. Is your 2.5 RGC rated?!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:23 PM, Gripperer said:

Good work. This is really interesting because I can score an 80kg on a dynamometer, and that was when I wasn't training grippers. But back then I did test on the #2.5 occasionally and was nowhere near, I'm talking like a 30mm gap.

Not sure what my dynamometer score is at the moment, haven't tested in months, but I'm closer than ever on the #2.5 now that I've started training it, but get stuck anywhere between 3mm and 10mm.

You seem to quite comfortably close the #2.5 with a roughly 70kg dynamometer score, and I guess it goes to show that there is more than just a small nuance of difference between the dynamometer and grippers.

I'll test my dynamometer score in a few months, once I'm able to close the #2.5, and despite that intuitively you'd think it would have improved, it probably won't.

It sure is interesting, 80kg is a strong Dyno result. last time I tested my Dyno it was 71kg and I'm a few mm off closing my coc 2.5 rated 126lbs. I rarely use my Dyno though and readings improve with practice I  think.

Is your 2.5 RGC rated? 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It sure is interesting, 80kg is a strong Dyno result. last time I tested my Dyno it was 71kg and I'm a few mm off closing my coc 2.5 rated 126lbs. I rarely use my Dyno though and readings improve with practice I  think.

Is your 2.5 RGC rated? 

It’s not, but it is around 125, based on my rated 117 Pt and 136 Fe ( It’s in between).

If you got high dyno numbers but can’t close #2.5 it just means your index and middle fingers are strong. Dyno puts equal weight on all fingers, but grippers are weighted towards the bottom so that’s why there might be discrepancy.

I’m also closing heavier grippers purely with chokers now, 30-35mm. It feels like I’m making a small progress :) I will try dyno later.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2023 at 9:15 AM, martincerven said:

It’s not, but it is around 125, based on my rated 117 Pt and 136 Fe ( It’s in between).

If you got high dyno numbers but can’t close #2.5 it just means your index and middle fingers are strong. Dyno puts equal weight on all fingers, but grippers are weighted towards the bottom so that’s why there might be discrepancy.

I’m also closing heavier grippers purely with chokers now, 30-35mm. It feels like I’m making a small progress :) I will try dyno later.

That's interesting as I have a PT rated 119 and an iron rated 136lbs so we have the same gripper collection in that range. 

You are right about the finger load being differently distributed on grippers compared to a Dyno. They don't always correlate but can give you an idea.

Ive only just started back using my Dyno and expect my readings to creep towards 80kg in time.

I can rep my coc 2.5 in a choker from parallel but I didn't like chocker training tbh.

I do need to work on my ring and pinkie strength by I've just bought a filed coc 2 that should be around the 110lb mark which will help me with the final bit if the close. 

Do you use your dynamometer often? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, mcalpine1986 said:

That's interesting as I have a PT rated 119 and an iron rated 136lbs so we have the same gripper collection in that range. 

You are right about the finger load being differently distributed on grippers compared to a Dyno. They don't always correlate but can give you an idea.

Ive only just started back using my Dyno and expect my readings to creep towards 80kg in time.

I can rep my coc 2.5 in a choker from parallel but I didn't like chocker training tbh.

I do need to work on my ring and pinkie strength by I've just bought a filed coc 2 that should be around the 110lb mark which will help me with the final bit if the close. 

Do you use your dynamometer often? 

Not really, maybe once every few weeks. Can you close the 136 Iron? ( Or how far off are you?) I can close the 136 choked, but need practice setting the 137 non choker one. 

Tried dyno again, got 79.1kg.

IMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.4f950a7b55aba0bffaf2eb7c35d55146.jpeg

• Like 3

Made another choker from Pt 118, this might be my new favorite gripper.

30mm 10reps:

Then I closed my Fe 137 for the first time:

I guess 137 is “heavy gripper” territory right? 😄

• Like 5

On 12/12/2023 at 11:57 PM, martincerven said:

Not really, maybe once every few weeks. Can you close the 136 Iron? ( Or how far off are you?) I can close the 136 choked, but need practice setting the 137 non choker one. 

Tried dyno again, got 79.1kg.

IMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.4f950a7b55aba0bffaf2eb7c35d55146.jpeg

Sorry ive only just seen this. I can't close my iron, I'm not at that level yet so I don't try it. Once I can close my 2.5 I have 2  GHP 6s to consent with, one rated 125 and one 132. The 125 is harder than my COC 2.5 at 126lbs. GHPS are so tough. 

Strong result on the Dyno. You should craCk 80kg with more practice.

• Like 2

137 is killer heavy gripper territory for sure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

New Year's resolution: train and close 150ish gripper, either my unrated (hard) CoC #3 or rated Grip Genie 148.

• Like 3

sounds good , I well bet you close your Grip Genie 148 by June!

• 4 weeks later...

Made another choker out of Au 94, I quite enjoy this width ~30-35mm. Feels better than just doing wide sets.

IMG_0553.jpeg

• Like 3

choked grippers are fun.

• 2 weeks later...

This time I made choker out of RB210. I thought it was around ~120 but next to Canon rated&made Fe 136, it feels same or heavier. These Barabans are super random with heaviness 😀

IMG_0623.jpeg

• Like 4