Martin's grip log

martincerven

Today’s training:

#2: 7x3

+ I finally managed to close RB210 which is around my #2.5:

Though that set looks way back on video, I guess I’ll have to work on my setting😅

• Like 6

Tried my first serious attempt at #3 after a training session, and got it slightly more than parallel. Good thing is that #2.5 now does not feel hard at all 😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a digital dynamometer, and got 63kg/138lbs on right hand. That corresponds with my ability to close #2.5, but it’s still long way to go to #3.

At least I can track my progress consistently now 😅

BAA14079-6B66-4F90-A94E-23414C647639.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t do grippers for a while and got 71.8kg /157.8 lbs on dynamometer.

Goal for next few weeks is to do 2/3 continous reps with #2.5 and try #3 how far I can go.

29777FC6-D2CA-4563-B3FB-37033D6BC20B.jpeg

• Like 6

Trying volume work:

CoC #2:

• 8 MMS
  • 8 MMS
  • 7 MMS
  • 5 MMS
  • 8 MMS
  • 8 MMS
  • 6 MMS

total 50 reps, 1-3 min rest between. I will try to do volume with at least 50 reps, and try to increase reps in each set, while keeping # of reps constant 😀

Edited by martincerven
  • Like 4

Nice work, how was it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work, how was it

Pretty good, nothing hurts, but I cannot seem to go to 2 reps with #2.5 and RB210 therefore am trying more reps with #2 😀 We'll see how it works out after a month or so

• Like 1

How often will you do this workout 

44 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

How often will you do this workout 

2-3 times a week, on days off I will train with extensor bands or anything else than grippers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since last post, not much of a progress with #2.5, but I can now do 10 TNS reps with #2 in 30 secs which is something I guess 😅.

I will try to do multiple MMS reps with #2.5 next.

• Like 5

Good work. This is really interesting because I can score an 80kg on a dynamometer, and that was when I wasn't training grippers. But back then I did test on the #2.5 occasionally and was nowhere near, I'm talking like a 30mm gap.

Not sure what my dynamometer score is at the moment, haven't tested in months, but I'm closer than ever on the #2.5 now that I've started training it, but get stuck anywhere between 3mm and 10mm.

You seem to quite comfortably close the #2.5 with a roughly 70kg dynamometer score, and I guess it goes to show that there is more than just a small nuance of difference between the dynamometer and grippers.

I'll test my dynamometer score in a few months, once I'm able to close the #2.5, and despite that intuitively you'd think it would have improved, it probably won't.

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gripperer said:

Good work. This is really interesting because I can score an 80kg on a dynamometer, and that was when I wasn't training grippers. But back then I did test on the #2.5 occasionally and was nowhere near, I'm talking like a 30mm gap.

Not sure what my dynamometer score is at the moment, haven't tested in months, but I'm closer than ever on the #2.5 now that I've started training it, but get stuck anywhere between 3mm and 10mm.

You seem to quite comfortably close the #2.5 with a roughly 70kg dynamometer score, and I guess it goes to show that there is more than just a small nuance of difference between the dynamometer and grippers.

I'll test my dynamometer score in a few months, once I'm able to close the #2.5, and despite that intuitively you'd think it would have improved, it probably won't.

I agree with you that good result on dynamometer doesn't equals to good grip results necessarily. I gave that #2 to super fit (def more fit people than me) in my sport club and also gave them dyno, and they had same or more kgs on dynamometer but couldn't close #2 by far, closest was parallel handles.

But I think that makes sense, with grippers, your "bottom" fingers like pinky and ring contribute more than index finger.

If you increase gripping power of index finger by 1kg or 1kg on pinky, since grippers act as lever, your 1kg increase on pinky would be more visible on closing grippers, but it still would be just 1kg increase on dynamometer.

• Like 1

Dynamometers and grippers are surprisingly different. If you train gripper you will only increase your potential with dynamos but it will do very litte if anything directly (if you're already advanced trainee with grippers).

The CNS need to adapt to the dynamometer, it also depends on what type of dynamometer it is. You can be good with one and not equally good with another one.

I did some dynamometer tests 3-4 months ago. Then I recently started with gripper training again, I've increase my strength on grippers with around 30 lbs since then. Haven't touched the dynamo until a few days ago and I was scoring lower results on it than I did 3 months ago.

There has been some strong people who doesn't train grippers who can score very high numbers as well.

The type of gripper training I have found to be more effective to increase dynamometer numbers are choker closes. It's more of a isometric exercise which resembles a dynamometer squeeze more.

Good work with the RB210 by the way. I used to have one of those, fun gripper, mine was really hard one at 137 lbs RGC :D 

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Dynamometers and grippers are surprisingly different. If you train gripper you will only increase your potential with dynamos but it will do very litte if anything directly (if you're already advanced trainee with grippers).

The CNS need to adapt to the dynamometer, it also depends on what type of dynamometer it is. You can be good with one and not equally good with another one.

I did some dynamometer tests 3-4 months ago. Then I recently started with gripper training again, I've increase my strength on grippers with around 30 lbs since then. Haven't touched the dynamo until a few days ago and I was scoring lower results on it than I did 3 months ago.

There has been some strong people who doesn't train grippers who can score very high numbers as well.

The type of gripper training I have found to be more effective to increase dynamometer numbers are choker closes. It's more of a isometric exercise which resembles a dynamometer squeeze more.

Good work with the RB210 by the way. I used to have one of those, fun gripper, mine was really hard one at 137 lbs RGC :D 

Thanks 😀 according to @Cannon data, RB grippers have RGC all over the place, I doubt mine is that hard.

5 hours ago, martincerven said:

Thanks 😀 according to @Cannon data, RB grippers have RGC all over the place, I doubt mine is that hard.

Yup, most gripper brands are all over the place and it's a good thing. Just means you can get a bigger variety in your training.

At the time I had the RB210, they were usually harder than the average COC#2.5. This was before CPW was stocking RB grippers. But the one I had was a fun gripper to train with. I just remember that when I saw your video because my technique was a bit similar to yours back then and it took me a long while before I was able to close it :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got new grippers today 2x #2, #2.5 and some chinese one.

The #2.5 came in a plastic bag, not glued, I wonder if someone returned it? But its way easier than my old #2.5 but still harder than all the #2 so I will use it in my progression.

Kinda dissapointed in the chinese one, it was “250” lbs and feels a bit more than #2, but the spread is only 6.3cm and it feels so uneven while closing, I will mostly give it away to somebody.

IMG_3343.jpeg

• Like 2

that's kind of unusual for iron mind to send out a product like that. this is the second time I've heard something like this about iron mind.

what's going on with their quality control?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

that's kind of unusual for iron mind to send out a product like that. this is the second time I've heard something like this about iron mind.

what's going on with their quality control?

I know. They've always made high quality equipment. The Rolling Thunder seizes up i've always been impressed otherwise.

Unfortunately quality has gone with just about everything all across the board.  Except for the people in this community. 

• Like 1

Nah I think that's repacked by the reseller. I don't think it came from IM that way, it would be an entirely different packaging process.
CoC didn't have this type of packaging for a very long time (I think only number - single stamps were the last like this, but I could be wrong).

@Cannon Have you ever seen such packaging with modern CoCs before?

Edited by matek

28 minutes ago, matek said:

Nah I think that's repacked by the reseller. I don't think it came from IM that way, it would be an entirely different packaging process.
CoC didn't have this type of packaging for a very long time (I think only number - single stamps were the last like this, but I could be wrong).

@Cannon Have you ever seen such packaging with modern CoCs before?

It came that way. We have inventory like that too. I actually like it better because it’s easier to reuse when we rate grippers. 

This spring, storms in CA collapsed the roof of one of IronMind’s production facilities. That packaging was a compromise to keep up with demand. 

There is no quality issue with the packaging. Both ways are fine. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

It came that way. We have inventory like that too. I actually like it better because it’s easier to reuse when we rate grippers. 

This spring, storms in CA collapsed the roof of one of IronMind’s production facilities. That packaging was a compromise to keep up with demand. 

There is no quality issue with the packaging. Both ways are fine. 

Okay so it's a temporary solution. That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 1

New PR of 3 MMS reps with #2.5. 

For the first time I used smelling salt, I wonder if its placebo or it really works, but my hand is fried for two days after going “beyond the limit” 😂

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Got new grippers, I think 137 Fe is a nice goal for me this year. Some I will probably never close, but at least they look good on a table 😆

IMG_4145.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, martincerven said:

Got new grippers, I think 137 Fe is a nice goal for me this year. Some I will probably never close, but at least they look good on a table 😆

IMG_4145.jpeg

Love that stand, I'll have to make something like that myself 😁

• Like 1