Martin's grip log

martincerven

I've been training grip for a few years with GD80 and GD90 adjustable grippers for sport (badminton), and after watching Larry Wheels & Ivan Cuk video during Christmas, I ordered few COC's. While I closed #2 out of package, #3 and #3.5 seemed impossible. Now I can do 5-6 reps with #2. Since I couldn't get #2.5 (I'm from Europe), I ordered Robert Baraban's 210, 260 and 300 with 210 and 260 supposedly between #2 and #3 according to cannon website. I was hoping I could close at least 210 out of package but  I could only get 210's handles parallel 🥲. At least they have best knurling I've seen so far, and I will post a video when I can close it.

• Like 7

Where in europe are you from since you can't find a #2.5?

Czech republic, been ordering from German Amazon 😀 I have bad experience with overseas shipping, I ordered some chips from EU company, they shipped it from Texas and I paid 50% on duty and handling fees 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That GD90 is a very good gripper.

keep up the good work, you will close that 210 soon

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Czech republic, been ordering from German Amazon 😀 I have bad experience with overseas shipping, I ordered some chips from EU company, they shipped it from Texas and I paid 50% on duty and handling fees 🤣

man, i hope they where good chips atleast. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, martincerven said:

I know the struggle too well, have you checked "strengthshop.eu"? They have all the CoC models and they ship from germany, so there shouldn't be any trouble 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Rogue Europe ships Coc's from Belgium.

I would've recommend them too, however they're out of stock on the #2.5 right now.

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

I would've recommend them too, however they're out of stock on the #2.5 right now.

Rest in Pepperoni.

Edited by DevilErik

1 hour ago, martincerven said:

I miss the times when I just started grip training, when I could order from a company in USA. Get the gripper dropped down in my mailbox one month later without having to pay anything extra. All that for 35$ including shipping. Those days are gone now :( 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I miss the times when I just started grip training, when I could order from a company in USA. Get the gripper dropped down in my mailbox one month later without having to pay anything extra. All that for 35$ including shipping. Those days are gone now :( 

All In The Family Singing GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Everything was so much simpler up until 10 years ago or so... To me anyways.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EmilBB said:

I know the struggle too well, have you checked "strengthshop.eu"? They have all the CoC models and they ship from germany, so there shouldn't be any trouble 😁

Thanks for the tip, ordered #2.5 and also #4 for fun.

18 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

man, i hope they where good chips atleast. 

Sadly they are sitting in a box somewhere 😀

18 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

That GD90 is a very good gripper.

keep up the good work, you will close that 210 soon

It is, although I managed to destroy one GD80 and that GD90 has touching handles when they shouldn't 😀

gd80.thumb.jpg.fa1cd92025095a6049d5742fe801ac1f.jpggd90.thumb.jpg.e6ab53a36ca48b03775a181e09414eb3.jpg

Edited by martincerven
  • Like 2

Man that sucks, you don't know your own power, talk about an over crush 💪

• Like 2

15 hours ago, martincerven said:

GD90 has touching handles when they shouldn't 😀

Strange, because the gap is rather big with the stoppers (at least supposed to be). What year's model is that? I have the early 2022 model and had to file down the stoppers to achieve this. 
They may have realized that most people want the handles to touch, so they released a new model. Or you just got lucky. 😄

Edited by matek

9 hours ago, matek said:

Strange, because the gap is rather big with the stoppers (at least supposed to be). What year's model is that? I have the early 2022 model and had to file down the stoppers to achieve this. 
They may have realized that most people want the handles to touch, so they released a new model. Or you just got lucky. 😄

It is 2019 model. The gap is not so far apart on lower kgs but on 77 the handles are maybe bending more. Also the black metal parts  at the top might be distorted by few mm somewhere from repeated stress. If the black metal could be a bit thicker it would handle the stress more, but I guess few people do many repetitions on heavier kgs to break it 😀

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, martincerven said:

It is 2019 model. The gap is not so far apart on lower kgs but on 77 the handles are maybe bending more. Also the black metal parts  at the top might be distorted by few mm somewhere from repeated stress. If the black metal could be a bit thicker it would handle the stress more, but I guess few people do many repetitions on heavier kgs to break it 😀

I know the feeling.... I crushed the handle on my inch the first time I put my hands on it..... NOT🤣 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Wow, interesting. Mine is still solid, although I have recently used it only for warmups. 
  Btw glad you found a #2.5; I'm pretty sure you can already close it!🙂 💪(Assuming you have an average or hard #2 and you get an average #2.5, of course). 

• Like 1

@EmilBB package arrived today! Thanks for the tip again. I filmed a video of the attempt, please give any hints on technique  ( or critique ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arIQzTzHNM

Is it actually closed? It felt maybe a bit too hard tbh, but still the Robert Baraban 210 feels somewhat harder. I don't know if it's the thicker handles or it's just that harder but I feel like my tendons are going to snap 😀

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, martincerven said:

@EmilBB package arrived today! Thanks for the tip again. I filmed a video of the attempt, please give any hints on technique  ( or critique ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arIQzTzHNM

Is it actually closed? It felt maybe a bit too hard tbh, but still the Robert Baraban 210 feels somewhat harder. I don't know if it's the thicker handles or it's just that harder but I feel like my tendons are going to snap 😀

It looks closed to me, even though it's a bit tough to see with the angle. Closing a #2.5 right out of the package is really really solid, the #3 or even more is definitely within your reach if you keep training. Great work 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

It looks closed to me, even though it's a bit tough to see with the angle. Closing a #2.5 right out of the package is really really solid, the #3 or even more is definitely within your reach if you keep training. Great work 👍

Thanks, I will train more. Next target is that RB210, although I will keep it slow to build strength properly. Btw that #4 I also ordered is just crazy...I would probably pay to see it closed live in front of me 😀

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 11:35 AM, martincerven said:

Thanks for the tip, ordered #2.5 and also #4 for fun.

Sadly they are sitting in a box somewhere 😀

It is, although I managed to destroy one GD80 and that GD90 has touching handles when they shouldn't 😀

gd80.thumb.jpg.fa1cd92025095a6049d5742fe801ac1f.jpggd90.thumb.jpg.e6ab53a36ca48b03775a181e09414eb3.jpg

Just read that these come with a 5 year guarantee, get it swapped or money back 

7 hours ago, Baron Greenback said:

Just read that these come with a 5 year guarantee, get it swapped or money back 

These are 2019 which came with 10 year warranty 😅 But I bought them from Amazon in EU, so I was lazy & not sure if they were repaired by reseller or what... I might contact the manufacturer directly, but you have to mail it which I think costs the same as the new gripper (EU -> Korea)

Anyways, today I managed to TNS GD80 (third one) which is a very satisfactory achievement for me since these were my first (quality) grip training tools  😀

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, martincerven said:

These are 2019 which came with 10 year warranty 😅 But I bought them from Amazon in EU, so I was lazy & not sure if they were repaired by reseller or what... I might contact the manufacturer directly, but you have to mail it which I think costs the same as the new gripper (EU -> Korea)

Anyways, today I managed to TNS GD80 (third one) which is a very satisfactory achievement for me since these were my first (quality) grip training tools  😀

Thats fantastic strength, well done sir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a longer pause, workout on train commute:

- warm up with bands

- 5x1 #2.5 

Next goal is to have 5x2 #2.5 or more, it seems to slip between reps. Maybe increase amount of chalk 😅

• Like 6