Beefbuilder Worldclass

RSW

Is closing the Beefbuilder Worldclass possible?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Is closing the Beefbuilder Worldclass possible?

• No.
    • Yes.
    • Yes, but it will take a genetically modified human.

Mattvanwheele,

A hypothetical.If someone closed a #4 right out of the box....would such a grip prodigy ever have a chance at a WC?

In relation to the population of the world and with the small amount of people that have ever even touched a gripper is such a feat totally inconceivable?

How do we know?

Even if a million individuals(very unlikely,huh?) have at this point in history ever touched or squeezed a gripper? isn't this too small of a segment to even begin guessing?Aren't we missing out on a few billion people that haven't had a wack at it?

I could bring up a recent deadlift -from the floor-that i witnessed by a relative unknown that would F#$%ing absolutely cause you to crap your pants...so far off the scale that it is just SICK.....absolutely the sickest thing i have ever even heard about-yet i believe there are others out there WAY stronger!!OR at least pople with the potential to be stronger.

Same with grip....only far less people have been exposed to grippers than lifting and if suprises like Griz and others keep popping up...how many are we missing?A

Also I don't mean to insinuate that anyone that i know will close the WC...but with the limited people I DO know I have seen some crazy sh#& and this is F#$%ing Iowa...what about the rest of the world?! :yikes:yikes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rick Browne

• Patrik_F

• Tom of Iowa2

Tom I think that the chances of that one in many millions of persons who could close a WC getting the opportunity to do so are almost zero. So it will not happen.

Tom I think that the chances of that one in many millions of persons who could close a WC getting the opportunity to do so are almost zero. So it will not happen.

Well yes...that actually makes some sense...because 'grippers' are introduced to such a small segment of the population and are sort of an 'underground'activity.

Hadn't thought of it that way.

Until it's main stream we will never know...but i still believe baseing this on our own experiences or the 'history'of grip(as it is so limited)is not enough to base a decision on.

Yes but sometimes I like to take a dead horse....and beat it to death... :D more than once and then several more times.

In the process something can be gained or learned.maybe?maybe not?

We have NO idea of the limits of hand strength...although we do have a pretty good idea of how fast humans can run ;)

and heck....there may even be some fast guys we don't know about because they are sitting in prison, or eating giant termites from a straw...possibly sitting behind some corporate office door..........and laughing at all those guys running around in shorts and spandex.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

It is unlikely to ever be mainstream. Not everyone is nuts!

:tongue Thanks for this one oldguy, it made my day ! :tongue

Quoting AC/DC : "it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n roooooooll"

Amaury.

I'd say it's possible..for the reasons Tom has laid out above. I don't think it's likely, aka probable, but POSSIBLE..sure. As Grandpa used to say, "Lots of things are possible that just ain't gonna happen."

Dont want to get into a Joe Kinney did or didnt close the #4 dispute,i have always believed he did it.Based on his grind of the #4 how far do you guys think this is away from the wc.

Some records are not meant to be broken,look how long it took for Bob Beamans long jump record to fall,but you can never say never :D

"If someone closed a #4 right out of the box...."

:D

Well, Dave wasnt that far from doing it? Ofcourse 1/8 or so at that level is probably a pretty long way but still. Are all the new #4s with that text "Captain of Crush" along the middle marking? I want one of those! It would be dissapointing to get an older #4 when they make the new ones now with the text.

About the WC, it would definately take a super human to close that one. I dont say it is impossible though.

Dave can pipe in here, but I don't think he picked up a #4 the first time he had a gripper in his hand and got it to 1/8". Plus, again, has anyone in this thread bought a #4 recently? I have. Heath has. They are monsters.

I bought a #4 from Ironmind in May 2003, do you mean even more recently? Is it the really new ones with the text in the middle?

No, not those.

Some records are not meant to be broken,look how long it took for Bob Beamans long jump record to fall,but you can never say never :D

I'm a great believer in never setting limitations oon what we do or will attempt. It may well take some time but will someone one day do a WC - I'd like to think so.

Mattvanwheele,

A hypothetical.If someone closed a #4 right out of the box....would such a grip prodigy ever have a chance at a WC?

Yes Tom I beleive they could if they had never done any other trainig and hadn' t developed strenght through work.

Edited by mattvanweele

I voted yes, but by a genetically modified human.

I've just finished reading the Phillip K. Dick novel "Beyond the Range" where a genetically mutated neanderthal from the future closes an extremely tough handgripper.

Boy, Talk about prescience! The guy's been dead for years and he predicted this very subject thread!

seriously though, no...

at least not raw anyway... in the future once gripping becomes like powerlifting with super tight gripping gloves that competitors squeeze their hands into and plenty of spotters to help them set the gripper someone might do it.... of course by then they'll be judgeing parrallel as a "good lift".

Egos have nothing to do with this. Please explain how egos enter in saying that no one will close the world class?

How about Kaz and the Kaz #3? I believe that is a very good example of ego getting in the way of what is and isn't possible.

Mike M.

I belive if someone could close a #4 when they are young they would have a chance on closing it.

Egos have nothing to do with this. Please explain how egos enter in saying that no one will close the world class?

How about Kaz and the Kaz #3? I believe that is a very good example of ego getting in the way of what is and isn't possible.

Mike M.

Egos in strength sports?aahhh come on now..No way :D

i can't tell you how many times i have repeated a lift or an event- of something i saw locally -that is met with incredulous disbelief and "nobody on earth could do that"

"thats impossible" or the best is when they have a friend -who IS a competitive strongman or a powerlifter -and they bring THAT person(their friend) up as an example...an example of why- the lift that I described- was impossible.

This is just one example.i was visiting a nearby Golds gym..and was doing legs.not feeling 'at home'and not having my belt i trained conservatively on legs.Fronts squats to 315 for some reps.Hack squats.Then loaded up their leg press-as heavy as it would go-no big deal really we have two leg presses with a much larger capacity..

Afterwards some well tanned tank top boys started asking question..They thought I was training real heavy.i replied "gosh i'm not even strong"and told them about some of the guys at the gym.

It being leg day that was the area of the conversation.

I told them what i'd seen- and the gentleman with the biggest arms and the most earings(and the best tan)said it was impossible for anyone to vertical leg press 1800lbs..."and besides there is no such machine that goes that heavy""that would break your legs and crush you" he actually seemed angry about it and was also bringin up his friends and all his martial arts experience...sort of an underlying 'tale of badassness 'i suppose. He also told me nobody could do leg extensions with 400lbs,,,much less 500lbs that i had told them about.

Another time i was at a Quads gym in chicago-a very harcore place!! and they had a leg curl similar to ours.i told them about Sean repping out the entire stack and they said 'no way Ed Coan can't even do the entire stack on that machine-nobody could'or words to that effect(apparently Coan had trained at the gym?)and i said well maybe HE can't but I've seen it done.

My point is that they didn't believe it because their egos and their own strength limitations wouldn't let them.Even their equipment-or the limits of THEIR equipment limited their imaginations.

This was a microcosm of what can happen and DOES happen.On the internet it is hard to determine if it is an 'ego situation' OR if it is just preconceived notions...but in person..when a persons face is getting red and they are beginning to sputter out their angry word...you can tell if its ego........or not?

1800# vertical leg press ofr 6 reps-yes it might break my legs...but???

Kaz feeling he was the strongest man on earth also fell victim to this common misconception of the limits of what another individual can do.As strong as Kaz was?he was wrong....there were others stronger.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2