"the Kaz #3"

Matt Van Weele

I just started wondering about that #3 Heath closed in the GripBoad Movie. It was called the KAZ #3. I assume it is named after Kazmaier but why? Is it much harder? If so how does it compare to a average #3. Also does anybody have any idea how old it is and who owns it?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Tom of Iowa2

• The Mac

• Matt Van Weele

I believe Kaz had said that his #3 would never be closed by human hands b/c of how difficult it was to close. Heath sure showed him otherwise.

L.J.

I am sure Kaz could close it now right?????

He never closed it. Bob Bollenbach owns the gripper. He handed it to Kaz, he squeezed, then claimed that it was impossible for the handles to meet due to the set-up. Bob then took the gripper and chest crushed it infront of Kaz, and said yes it can be closed. I closed it, Pat closed it, and I'm pretty sure Ron Mazza closed it. Can't rememebr if 3Crusher clsoed it or not, I know he was very close when we were there, but I don't know if he ever put it away. Kaz has never clsoed a #3 gripper, I asked him last year at AOBS. He told me he thought his hands were too thick, they may be they are huge.

3crusher closed it right handed, but was a shade off lefty if memory serves me correctly. I closed it lefty and righty. Heath dominated it! I'm sure Ron Mazza closed it, also Eric Russell.

It's a good, stout #3, but not the hardest out there.

3crusher closed it right handed, but was a shade off lefty if memory serves me correctly. I closed it lefty and righty. Heath dominated it! I'm sure Ron Mazza closed it, also Eric Russell.

It's a good, stout #3, but not the hardest out there.

Who has one of the toughest #3 on this board or that someone knows of? How does it compare to a average #3 and how old is it?

Kaz has never clsoed a #3 gripper, I asked him last year at AOBS. He told me he thought his hands were too thick, they may be they are huge.

So Kaz can't even close the trainer because his hands are too thick? ;)

More likely Kaz doesn't want to train hard enough to ever close the#3.

Edited by RSW

Is not Kaz at his age. well past his prime of some 20 plus years ago?I doubt if these days he can still do anything like the things he could do in his glory years, let alone close a #3 gripper.

More likely Kaz doesn't want to train hard enough to ever close the#3.

I don't think he would have to train much at all. I think he would have to find the sweet spot in his hand. He might need a few workouts but not that many. In his prime I don't think the #3 would stand a chance.

He doesnt seem too interested in grip feats. Lord knows he shocked and amazed with his many other feats of strength.

Yes-with some training-he could close a #3.

Rick Walker :rock

It happens to be my opinion that Kaz may well have been the strongest man- in all round events- of modern times.

That does not mean we should assume he would win every event- which he did not, or that he could master every tough gripper- which he did not, or that he could clean an Inch (he continentalled one), which he did not.

Could he have? Who knows. What is known is that he could not close the #3 offered to him, and even went so far as to claim it was not possible for ANYONE to close it,

HE was assuming if he could not, then certainly other, weaker men (in those other events) could not.

That's not really a challenge you want to throw down at the feet of determined trainees such as Heath or Terminator, or 3Crusher.

By the way, Pat's movie, Terminator #3 will be on a big screen near you July 2nd :D It will run until he says it is closed :rolleyes

I would guess that its just lack of interest or lack of training also.

The hands 'too thick' doesn't make sense.Schoonveld toys with a #3 and his hands look like canned hams and josh wears a 16 1/2 or 17 ring and shut a #3 the first time he ever touched it...and also has very thick hands.

I shook kaz's hands and there were many bigger and thicker hands around that day.

525lb,certified captain of Crush jeff maddy had VERY thick hands and his fingers looked like polish sausages......

no disrespect intended i am a huge Kaz fan.

Not to start a fire, and let me preface this with I am also a huge Kaz fan, met him a few times, down in Florida. But Dr. Fred Hatfield (Dr. Squat) Claims he saw Kaz pinch 3 - 45's in the gym and walk around with it (he might have even said 3 45's each hand!).

I should also state that I respect Dr. Fred Hatfield (Dr. Squat) a great deal. I don't agree with the KAZ statement but I have been studying Fred's research for years and he is a very knowledgeable source

Well this story is ABSOLUTELY impossible...so at least this story is extraordinaire? :laugh

i don't even know for sure if the best grips in the world have done a full deadlift of 3X35's...much less even thought about 3X45???and although i think kaz may well be the strongest man in history...his grip does not appear to be so.his grip was strong enough to do the events and the lifts that he WAS great at but...........????

I have also heard a claim that Kazmaier cleaned 2 45's pinched together. I don't know if thats possible. In (edited for space) it said that while in Australia cleaning and pressing the Inch he said he stopped by Bruce Whites and pinched 115 on a smooth 1' plate. Bruce told him it was the world revcord at the time. So I don't think there was any doubt he had a world class pinch grip and maybe he still does. But 3 45's doesn't seem possible.

definitely a world class grip (in most respects) but not the best grip in the world....and my point-though poorly written-was that not even the best grips in the world think about lifting 3x45???

i do remember viewing a WSM tape wear kaz's grip failed him.They hoisted washing machines via pulley/thick rope .

Sort of like a seated lat pull down.johsn kolb smoked him.

Terry Todd said Kaz's thick hands didn't grasp the rope(or words to that effect)....but the grip was the apparent failure...regardless of the reason.

It reminds me of the above that he couldn't close the #3 because of thick hands....THICKER than JEFF Maddy's??come on???

Again Kaz dominated powerlifting AND Strongman. A one two punch like no one before?or since?and his un aided(by shirt)bench and deep squats were AWESOME..deadlift ALWAYS speaks for itself....To me..Lots of other remarkable feats of strength!Strongest man to walk the earth...either him or O.D.Wilson?

O.D.had his WSM title stolen :dry ...a topic for another thread. :cool

I'm thinking that the "Kaz #3" was nothing but a very tough #3, that's all; probably bordering on a BBE or something of that strength.

There was a thread here when that fiction about Kaz pinching the 45s first came up for air. It was scorned into oblivion.

Yes, the claim was 3 45s in each hand. That's a 270 lb,

wide, loose, pinch grip. Nope

roark,

Yeah I KNOW it's B.S., and I'm surprised that Wanna didn't step in and close this thread! :angry:

I wish some people on this forum would quit exaggerating the feats of others... which is why Wanna closes a lot of threads.

Maybe Wanna was being nice today, I am not sure how many people can even pinch two 45's let alone 3. It is true that Kaz is not at his peek but on a fairly recent Q-ray infomercial he said he could bench 400 lbs. for 20 reps. That's pretty darn good in my books. :bow:bow:bow Maybe that Q-ray ionized braclet isn't doing its job and he has hand or elbow pain? Even though this is probably wrong it might explain why he doesn't train his hands so fiercly.

I am just curious, did Heath close the gripper right after Kaz said it was impossible?? I wonder what his reaction would have been???