Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

Hi Geralt,

Good idea about not mounting it perfectly upright! This might make it a bit more comfortable indeed.

I don't really like the Vulcan, because of the setting problem. I also plan on doing more TNS style training. I think the whole setting a gripper to parallel is a bit weird actually. If grippers where designed for this the handles would be closer together. And if I see how difficult it can be to get from a MMS close to a CCS close....

Hi Geralt,

Good idea about not mounting it perfectly upright! This might make it a bit more comfortable indeed.

I don't really like the Vulcan, because of the setting problem. I also plan on doing more TNS style training. I think the whole setting a gripper to parallel is a bit weird actually. If grippers where designed for this the handles would be closer together. And if I see how difficult it can be to get from a MMS close to a CCS close....

That is absolutely right. But that's also the biggest problem for me. Figuring out what works best. TNS work makes my topcrush go down and only MMS work doesn't benefit wider set work.

Of course, the harder grippers one can set, the easier the lower grippers will get, but in my case I am not making the linear growth in MMS work that some guys do. But that's the most difficult thing with grippers. Most guys progress with grippers and just ride along with the waves as they go. Gripperstrength for me is very unpredictable. Sean Dockery is one of the few I know over here who only worked

wide sets/TNS with lower grippers and did a TNS for his #3 cert. So it is possible to grow in strength using only wide sets. So many people so many methods....

Edited by Geralt

• 3 weeks later...

Time to start logging again. Haven't really felt like it the last couple of weeks.

Both my left shoulder and fore arms are stille bugging me somewhat, but I've been steadily increasing weight nonetheless. But I've also been carefull not to over do it.

For the main lifts I've basically been doing 5x5 starting really light and adding 5-10kg every week.

I'm slooowly getting into more 'serious' weights again, but nog quite yet.

Training 15-8

Overhead press strict

4x 5x60kg/5x65kg

Dumbell snatch

3x 3x40kg

I've been doing snatches the last couple of weeks and I like it. I like the explosiveness of it. I actually think it might help me get the weight of the ground faster with my deadlift.

EZ bar french press on incline bench

5x10x48kg

Rolling thunder

5x 5x60kg Without re-grip between reps

Easy. Had a guy join me with my grip exercises today. He's really strong. I think he can benchpress at least 180kg, but he had trouble with 40kg on the RT!

But it was fun and I think he enjoyed it too.

Dumbbell farmers walk with fatgripz

3x 30?meter x 40kg

Standing finger curls palms facing legs

3x 8x80kg

Wristroller 45mm, mounted at waist height.

Supersets rolling to the front and to the back

x30kg/ x40kg/ x60kg

I've built a pinch/saxon dumbbell last week. It's great and I think I'm really going to enjoy using it. Will post a video about it next week.

• Like 1

Good to see you posting again, Roy! The injuries will probably always nag you but at least you've recovered somewhat. Kick some ass!

Not much to log.

Except...

I'M A FATHER AGAIN!

The little guy came 7 weeks early so he will be in the hospital for a couple of weeks. But he's doing well.

We didn't even decide on a name yet. :-s

Not much to log.

Except...

I'M A FATHER AGAIN!

The little guy came 7 weeks early so he will be in the hospital for a couple of weeks. But he's doing well.

We didn't even decide on a name yet. :-s

Gefeliciteerd kerel! Zolang het maar gezond is. Congrats and hope your wife is also doing ok!

Congratulations Roy! That is such good news. Wishing your new child health and happiness!

Thanks guys!

Wife is doing ok, but she had a c-section. So she will also be in the hospital for a week or so.

So i will be managing the household and our other son for the next couple of weeks...

• 3 weeks later...

Despite all the good intentions I haven't had much time to do some serious logging.

I have been able to put some good trainings in however.

This is from 2 sept. 2014

Overhead press

5x60kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x70kg/ 5x75kg

Finally starting to feel a bit of power again with this.

DO deadlift

2x150kg/ 2x170kg/ 1x190kg/ 1x200kg

Not very easy but got 200kg again. So pleased with that. Now only to move up to 225kg...

DO lockout + hold (head count)

4x 10sec. x200kg

+

Machine dips

10x155kg/ 8x175kg/ 8x175kg

Goodmornings

10x60kg/ 10x70kg/ 7x80kg

Shoulder complex for rehab

Made a new grip tool. A pinch or Saxon dumbbell. Very versatile, you can do stuff with it you couldn't (easily) do with a europinch or plates. Like snathces, cleans, presses, rows, curls etc.

Made some really good progress with it the last couple of weeks

Pinch dumbbel snatch at 7cm width

1x26kg/ 1x27kg/ 10x24kg

Pinch dumbbell lift at 9,5 cm width

2x28kg/ 1x31kg/ 1x32kg/ 0x33kg fail/ 6x28kg

Pinch dumbbel curls at 7cm width

5x13kg/ 3x15kg/ 3x18kg/ 3x21kg/ 2x24kg(left 1x)

Calf presses one legged

10x80kg/ 10x90kg/ 6x95kg/ 5x100kg

Video of the pinch dumbbel. apologies for the bad video quality. Especially the snatching part is really bad.

Haven't spoken any english since college so that's pretty appalling too.

Also some pics.

post-22763-0-02187200-1410471936_thumb.j

post-22763-0-98028300-1410471941_thumb.j

Training 5 sept. 2014 (at home)

Pull ups - BW 230lbs

2x/ 3x/ 4x/ 5x/ 6x/ 7x/ 8x

Couldn't do 8 reps if I started with it. Need a lot of warm up for this otherwise it hurts my elbows pretty bad.

Grippers TNS

5x#1/ 3xGHP4(96)/ 2x#2/ 3xGHP4(96)

Started doing a little bit of grippers again. Mostly tns work. Lost a lot of strenght there.

Some 3 finger reverse grippers closes with Trainer

Tuck levers

Trying to work my way up to a full front lever. Pretty tough I think at my height and weight.

Another great tool I've made is the plate loaded sledge. Will post a vid and some pics of this soon.

Plate loaded sledge 'call to order'

10x5kg/ 10x7,5kg/ 10x7,5kg/ 10x10kg

Plate loaded sledge 'shield cast'

10x5kg/ 10x6,25kg/ 10x7,5kg

Ab wheel

3x 15x

Haven't done these for a while. Pff felt tough.

Training 7 sept. 2014

Overhead press

5x60kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x75kg/ 5x75kg/ 5x75kg

Incline french press with EZ bar

5x58kg/ 4x63kg/ 20x48kg

DO deadlift with fatgripz

1x120kg/ 1x130kg/ 1x140kg!

Equalled PR! Haven't done this one since november 2013. Really happy to have equalled my best out of the blue. Going to work on these for the next couple of weeks/months. See if I can finally get to 150kg. Fore arms have been insanely sore since sunday and ar still sore!

Do Lockout + hold with fatgripz (head count)

0,01 sec. x140kg/ 8sec. x130kg/ 8sec. x130kg/ 8sec. x130kg

Thought I would be able to do this with 140kg after the deadlift, but that was really a no go.

Cable rows with towel

10x100kg/ 10x115kg/ 8x125kg/ 6x135kg

Dumbbel lunges

8x22kg/ 8x28kg/ 8x34kg/ 6x40kg

Calf presses one legged

10x90kg/ 6x100kg/ 6x100kg/ 6x100kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

Superset forward/backword x40kg / x55kg

Only forward x65kg/ only backward x65kg/ only backward x70kg

Try to do the rotation part as much one handed as I can.

Some clips from this training. Only the grip stuff. including the fatgripz deadlift.

• Like 1

Some great workouts Roy! That pinch dumbbell you made looks awesome, great idea.

Sorry to hear your elbow is still acting up,but it looks like you're still staying strong and working with your good exercises. That fat gripz deadlift was insane... Tremendous thick bar strength

Btw, your English is damn good and I'd say better than 90% of people who live in the USA that were not born here.

Some great workouts Roy! That pinch dumbbell you made looks awesome, great idea.

Sorry to hear your elbow is still acting up,but it looks like you're still staying strong and working with your good exercises. That fat gripz deadlift was insane... Tremendous thick bar strength

Btw, your English is damn good and I'd say better than 90% of people who live in the USA that were not born here.

Thanks Anthony. One of the fun parts of grip training for me is that it is so broad. It is a challenge to think of new ways to train it.

• Like 1

Good lift! The fatgripz are hard. I have been doing FG Extreme hangs with BW on a pullupbar and my lowerarms were so deeply intense sore. It's getting better now. Probably for supercompensation I need to rest gripwork for a few days still.

I was hoping to do some gripperwork tomorrow again but I'll have to see about that.

Good lift! The fatgripz are hard. I have been doing FG Extreme hangs with BW on a pullupbar and my lowerarms were so deeply intense sore. It's getting better now. Probably for supercompensation I need to rest gripwork for a few days still.

I was hoping to do some gripperwork tomorrow again but I'll have to see about that.

Hey I just skipped a gripper workout as well. My arms were still to sore. Would've been a waste of energy. ;-)

Training 14-7-2014

Had no energy today. This turned out to be the slowest and longest training ever. Spend 3,5 hours at the gym!

Grip strenght was very ok though.

Overhead press

5x60kg/ 5x70kg/ 5x70kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x65kg/ 10x60kg

DO deadlift

2x150kg/ 2x160kg/ 2x170kg/ 2x180kg/ 2x190kg

That last set of 2x190 was just stupid. All my reps untill had been slow and hard, but that was just the worst and hardest set ever, although not the heaviest.

Do lockout + hold (in seconds)

25sx190kg/ 15sx200kg/ 8s x220kgPR

Grip strengh was good today despite the lack of energy..

Goodmornings

10x60kg/ 10x70kg/ 9x75kg

Cable rows with towel

10x100kg/ 5x115kg/ 5x125kg/ 5x140kgPR

Incline french press with EZ bar

6x48kg/ 5x58kg/ 5x63/ 8x58kg

It's just stupid that I can do this almost as heavy as I can overhead press. Something is defintely wrong here...

Pinch dumbbell snatch at 7cm

2x23kg/ 2x26kg/ 1x28kg PR/ 1x28kg/ 1x28kg/ 1x28kg

Pinch dumbbell lift at 9,5 cm

2x28kg/ 1x31kg/ 1x33kgPR

Thought I try to lift the really fat 2x15kg plates that I've never lifted before. But they were just glued to the floor. No movement at all. I'm guestimating I will have to pull close to 40kg on the pinch dumbbel before they go up.

Pinch dumbbel curl at 7cm

4x18kg/ 3x20kg

Stopped. It hurt.

One legged calf presses

30x65kg/ 30x65kg/ 30x70kg

Dumbbell lunges

10x22kg/ 10x28kg/ 8x34kg/ 7x40kg

Lefties and righties with leverage bar

4x20x 3kg

• Like 1

This happens. You sure on the date mentioned by the way? :) Maybe working towards a more specific goal will help? You are now doing a lot of different stuff...if you catch my drift. (look who's saying lol)

This happens. You sure on the date mentioned by the way? :) Maybe working towards a more specific goal will help? You are now doing a lot of different stuff...if you catch my drift. (look who's saying lol)

Right this must be 14 september obviously! :sick:

I am indeed sort of missing a specific goal right now. On the other hand this sort of generalistic approach seems to be working at the moment because my grip strenght IS improving. My deadlift and overhead press are however not so hot right now. Seem to have lost my momentum a bit there... Reaalllyy wanna get to a 220kg deadlift, because that would equal my best ever (from when I was in my early twenties I guess). I'm going to alternate with speed deadlifts again, that seemed to be working well a couple of months ago.

If only we had grip competitions in Holland... That would really boost the will to master a certain lift!

• Like 1

That's right. In order to organise some kind of contest I just want some credentials first also. Besides, i'd like a contest in which everyone knows what he'a doing instead of me/us explaining other guys what I/we are doing lol. But than it also wouldn't be a contest of course. Me, you and Artee can do something together though, somewhere next year.

There are also grip contest in Germany occasionally. Maybe that could be something to go to? At least there will be people there that know what they are doing. :grin:

• Like 1

Training 17 sept. 2014 (at home)

Grippers TNS

Right 5 sets 4xghp4 1xghp5

Left 5 sets 4xghp4 1x#2

Just sticking with the TNS for now. TNS puts much less stress on the tendons. See if I can get some decent gripper strength back that way. First goal would be to close my ghp6(134) with my right hand and my ghp5(114) left handed.

I also think the large ROM has better carryover to other stuff.

Standing dumbbell press speed

6x 5x23kg

Did these in between gripper sets.

Sledge 'çall to order'

4x 10x7,5kg

Sledge 'shield cast'

4x 10x7,5kg

Pull ups (bw 230lbs)

2x/ 3x/ 4x/ 5x/ 6x/ 10x

Not super strict. Some kipping going on.

Some tuck levers

Ab wheel from knees

4x 15x

Training 21 sept. 2014 (gym)

Another marathon session...

Overhead press

5x60kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x70kg/ 5x75kg/ 3x77,5kg/ 3x80kg/ 2x82,5kg

Do deadlift fatgripz

2x110kg/ 2x120kg/ 1x130kg/ fail x140kg/ 8x120kgPR/ 10x120kgPR!

I think I failed the 140kg because there where a lot of guys crowding me in my little corner of the gym, couldn't concentrate. Decided to put some volume in with 120kg. Expecting to get 5 or 6 reps, but my grip stayed solid so I went up to 8 reps with some in the tank. Next set did 10 reps, but probably 1 or 2 left in the tank. Wow where did that come from?

DO deadlift speed from deficit 5cm

5x 3x100kg

Hangs with fatgripz

33sec./ 30sec/ 24 sec.

Hands pretty fried by now.

Cable press one handed (on the light cable machine)

3x 5x70kg

Barbell Step ups on 40cm block

3x 5x90kg

My knees are feeling great at the moment. I've been riding up and down to the hospital the last couple of weeks on my bicycle (that's what we do in holland) and it apparently has really benefited me!

Cable rows with towel

10x 100kg/ 10x105kg/ 10x110kg/ 10x115kg

French press incline with EZ bar

4x 10x56kg

+

Leverage bar

lefties 'n righties

Mounted wristroller at waist height 48mm

Supersets forward and backward x40kg/ x55kg/ x55kg

+

Calf presses on plate loaded leg press

25x300kg/ 25x350kg/ 25x350kg/ 20x390kg/ 25x390kg

... another productive day. :whistel

Training 21 sept. 2014 (gym)

Another marathon session...

Overhead press

5x60kg/ 5x65kg/ 5x70kg/ 5x75kg/ 3x77,5kg/ 3x80kg/ 2x82,5kg

Do deadlift fatgripz

2x110kg/ 2x120kg/ 1x130kg/ fail x140kg/ 8x120kgPR/ 10x120kgPR!

I think I failed the 140kg because there where a lot of guys crowding me in my little corner of the gym, couldn't concentrate. Decided to put some volume in with 120kg. Expecting to get 5 or 6 reps, but my grip stayed solid so I went up to 8 reps with some in the tank. Next set did 10 reps, but probably 1 or 2 left in the tank. Wow where did that come from?

DO deadlift speed from deficit 5cm

5x 3x100kg

Hangs with fatgripz

33sec./ 30sec/ 24 sec.

Hands pretty fried by now.

Cable press one handed (on the light cable machine)

3x 5x70kg

Barbell Step ups on 40cm block

3x 5x90kg

My knees are feeling great at the moment. I've been riding up and down to the hospital the last couple of weeks on my bicycle (that's what we do in holland) and it apparently has really benefited me!

Cable rows with towel

10x 100kg/ 10x105kg/ 10x110kg/ 10x115kg

French press incline with EZ bar

4x 10x56kg

+

Leverage bar

lefties 'n righties

Mounted wristroller at waist height 48mm

Supersets forward and backward x40kg/ x55kg/ x55kg

+

Calf presses on plate loaded leg press

25x300kg/ 25x350kg/ 25x350kg/ 20x390kg/ 25x390kg

... another productive day. :whistel

Good stuff buddy. Slowly getting back! I like those long sessions. Last Saturday I also spend almost 3 hours training all in all lol Our little weekly slice of heaven :)

Those hangs with Fatgripz are quite entertaining, aren't they. The body adapts quickly. When I did them the first time a few weeks ago I had sore lower arms for more than a week. Now after last session with lots of gripperwork and hangs after that my hands were tired, but I am not sore at all now.

Btw bought a BBE from CPW recently and they gave me the CPW creditcard with that. Nice to see your work on it!

Edited by Geralt

Btw bought a BBE from CPW recently and they gave me the CPW creditcard with that. Nice to see your work on it!

Thanks, got a whole bunch of those from Matt. Also got a bunch of new grippers, mostly ghp's and one 163 Elite (just in case I will get close to cert strenght)