Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

Injuries are the worst man, i have had at least one injury at a time for the better part of ten years. A few summers ago my back was really acting up on me, and my rotator cuff was killing me too. I just said screw it, and took a full month off from the gym. During that time i still did some ab work and ate my maintenance calories with tons of protein. I came back to the gym a month later feeling great,and regained any lost strength (it was minimal) within a week or two. Sometimes that's what you need, bro. Deloads are good, but you're still aggravating the injury with some weight work. It will be very mentally difficult to walk away for a bit, but it's so worth it, and you get so hungry to return while you're away that when you do come back healed, you just destroy everything. Anyway, that's what i think you should consider. Btw, ever since then, i take a full week off after every four weeks of training. That being said, you are much stronger than me, so I should actually be taking advice from you. But time off should be part of every lifters regimen and right now you may need excessive time off.

• Like 1

Thanks man, you are probably right. It is just that I feel I'm constantly doing 2 steps forward and 1,5 steps back, never getting as strong as I feel I could be.

Anyway maybe I will take a month off an do some cardio instead. :whacked :whacked

I totally hear you Roy. I think Anthony is right. Injuries suck so much. Since our last benching session my right shoulder hurts again. Going for a good massage next thursday afternoon, this guy is specialized in shoulderwork I understand. So. Oh and also called the plastic surgeon again to give a permit for handtherapy. Can't do any curlwork.

Dutch power Injury powerrrrr :sick:

I've decided to be wise and do a deload month.

I probably will still be going to the gym to do some light stuff but nothing interesting. No gripping, (dead)lifting or pressing.

Perhaps some triceps, legs, abs, shoulder rehab and back as long as none of it causes any discomfort whatsoever.

So won't be reporting much coming month. Let's hope this resting period will serve me well.

• Like 1

Just do the stuff you can do that doesn't cause any pain until everything heals. That's doesn't mean you can't train grip at all, just don't do the stuff that causes pain. Have you tried working with a sledge hammer doing Rotations or finger walks, do rubber bands extensions hurt? This could be a chance to bring up weak areas while you heal.

Just do the stuff you can do that doesn't cause any pain until everything heals. That's doesn't mean you can't train grip at all, just don't do the stuff that causes pain. Have you tried working with a sledge hammer doing Rotations or finger walks, do rubber bands extensions hurt? This could be a chance to bring up weak areas while you heal.

This... There's always an imbalance to be resolved while resting main components

I for one like the idea of time off, if not for healing aggravated injuries, then just to let the nervous system recharge and get some things done in our personal lives. Why does everyone refuse to rest lol

Very true. However there isn't a lot I can do without pain or discomfort for my grip at the moment. Although I think I could indeed do rubberbands and finger walks. Thanks.

I for one like the idea of time off, if not for healing aggravated injuries, then just to let the nervous system recharge and get some things done in our personal lives. Why does everyone refuse to rest lol

Because we are all stubborn bastards addicted to lifting. :-)

• Like 1

Well week two of my 'compulsory' deload month.

So far I haven't noticed any mayor healing going on in the shoulder and elbow department.

I'm still going to the gym, but I'm not doing any gripping, lifting, rowing or pressing. Which doesn't leave much. yesterday I did some leg work. I actually did a couple of sets of squats. I haven't done those in many years because of a cartilage problem in my left knee. But I figured since I now can deadlift 200kg without knee pain I could probably do some light squatting. I carefully worked up to an easy 5x120kg. Felt kind of awkward to be squatting again. Still pretty happy with this. Knee is still feeling good today.

Well week two of my 'compulsory' deload month.

So far I haven't noticed any mayor healing going on in the shoulder and elbow department.

I'm still going to the gym, but I'm not doing any gripping, lifting, rowing or pressing. Which doesn't leave much. yesterday I did some leg work. I actually did a couple of sets of squats. I haven't done those in many years because of a cartilage problem in my left knee. But I figured since I now can deadlift 200kg without knee pain I could probably do some light squatting. I carefully worked up to an easy 5x120kg. Felt kind of awkward to be squatting again. Still pretty happy with this. Knee is still feeling good today.

Healing takes time...that said, don't know about your squatting depth, but 120kg x 5 is strong brother after such a long period of doing no squats

Edited by Geralt

Healing takes time...that said, don't know about your squatting depth, but 120kg x 5 is strong brother after such a long period of doing no squats

Thanks Geralt, but wasn't like I haven't done any legwork the past year with the deadlifting, lunges and step ups. :)

I think I hit proper depth by the way.

Week three of what is turning out to be a very selective deload months.

Yesterday I did squats again. This time I slowly worked up to a beltless 5x130kg. I think I'm good for 5x140kg, will try that next week.

Was also aching to test my support grip to see if the pain on the inside of the elbow was getting less. So I did some romanian deadlifts up to 5x140kg. Felt I minor ache at 140kg. It's getting better, but it's not completely gone yet.

Pain on the outside of the elbow is still the same. I'm seriously considering reaching deep inside my pockets and buying an Armaid. I've read dozens of reviews by now and most of them are very positive. I think it's mostly used by climbers because they obviously test there grip to the max also and it's a much larger group than the true gripsters.

Also did some shoulder rehab. I feel it's getting better, but very sloooowly. I've ditched the abwheel rollouts for now by the way because I want to make the muscles that pull my shoulder blades back and down stronger and the abwheel does just the opposite. The impingement in my shoulder originates from a wrong shoulder blade position of my left shoulder which I'm trying to correct.

• Like 1

Good job on the squats, Roy! Glad that knee is allowing it. How do you plan on correcting your shoulder imbalance? I've heard cable face pulls are excellent for this.

Armaid won't fix you if you get too crazy and get severe pain, but it is great for maintenance and dealing with everyday aches from reasonable training. Cuts my recovery time down significantly as well.

Good job on the squats, Roy! Glad that knee is allowing it. How do you plan on correcting your shoulder imbalance? I've heard cable face pulls are excellent for this.

Thanks. Haven't tried cable face pulls yet, might add them to the program.

I'm doing a lot of stuff with tubing most of which is kinda hard to explain, but I do a lot of pull aparts at all different kind of angles and innies and outies. Bent over dumbbell back raises on incline bench with dumbbels. Also one where I bring the dumbells further back and one where I bring the dumbells to the front which could be a 'incline dumbbel front raise'? :-)

Armaid won't fix you if you get too crazy and get severe pain, but it is great for maintenance and dealing with everyday aches from reasonable training. Cuts my recovery time down significantly as well.

Thanks man. I wouldn't call the pain severe anymore. But I can definitely feel some painfull knots in the muscles in my forearm which are very hard to massage away by hand. I've tried to putting a stick between my fore arm and a wall and then pressing with my body agianst it. This sort of works but this method doesn't allow for very precise placement of the pressure. I also had good results in the past with dry needling therapy, which is basically just another method for releasing triggerpoints. So I think this Armaid could possibly work if I use it consistently enough.

I guess you're doing that already...

...but stretch your forearms and biceps.

Thanks Honk. Yes I'm stretching my ass off! I think I just might have the most stretched fore arms in history. :grin:

• Like 1

Hey Roy, I have the armaid and I bought it with the extreme attachment. Its very good, but something else you may want to look into, google "foot rubz". You can get a pair on amazon for 11 dollars USD, and they are portable and beastly on the forearms. I take one with me to work and use it just sitting down at a desk. Really really cool product for a guy looking to save some money

Hey Roy, I have the armaid and I bought it with the extreme attachment. Its very good, but something else you may want to look into, google "foot rubz". You can get a pair on amazon for 11 dollars USD, and they are portable and beastly on the forearms. I take one with me to work and use it just sitting down at a desk. Really really cool product for a guy looking to save some money

I've searched for it on Google and found something that looks like a spikey ball. Is this what you ment Anthony? How do you use it on your forearms?

I've searched for it on Google and found something that looks like a spikey ball. Is this what you ment Anthony? How do you use it on your forearms?

Yep, that's the one. Its similar in hardness to a golf ball but with spikes. I put it on a table or the floor, then put my forearm on top of it, and then roll out my forearm muscles on it, using my other arm on top of the rolling arm to exert pressure. You can change how much force you want to use by providing more or less pressure from your off arm. And then just knead out the muscle like you're rolling baking dough.

Did another odd training friday.

Started with dumbbell snatches. I never did a snatch in my life, but I suddenly felt like doing it. Went up to 5x40kg. I know it's not that much, but those are the heaviest dumbbells at my gym, so I felt a little bit badass nonetheless.

Also so did some tricep french presses up to 4x63kg and a lot of odd shoulder work.

I've been messing with a sledge hammer (5kg/11lbs) mostly 'call to order' and 'shield cast' also a bit of levering. It's fun, it doesn't hurt and I feel working my grip, at least a bit.

Also been doing some finger walks. I use a really long stick (230cm) and attach a 2,5kg weight to the end, than I stand on my (nearly finished) deck and lower the weight all the way down and try to walk it back up all the way. Firts time I could only get half way. Last time I did it all the way, but barely.

I think my right arm is finally starting to feel better.

• Like 1

Excellent Roy! Stay the course and keep rehabilitating and before you know it you'll be the gripper badass you once were :)

• 2 weeks later...

Inside of my elbows feel good seem to have stopped just in time to prevent that from becoming another serious injury. Outside right elbow still doesn't feel 100% (more like 70%). Left shoulder feels bit better but not 100%.

Going to resume 'normal' training anyway.

Plan on starting easy and then gradually increasing the weight every week to be back at my max 6 weeks from now. If any injury gets worse I will lower the weight again. We will see what happens...

Did:

5x 3x 150kg DO deadlift

5x 5x 80kg Bench

5x 5x 50kg RT

Pinchwalks with 2x10kg (fat plates)

Mounted wristroller at waist height. Both ways. x30kg/x40kg/x50kg

Also some lunges, shoulder rehab, rows, biceps, calves.

Planning to build a 'secret weapon'. I've got the materials, but not the time.

I'm going to make it a little bit different. I want to restrict the movement to about the equivelant of a CCS set (slightly narrower). This will make it safer I think. I also plan on doing reps with it and not negatives. I like the idea of training my crush this way because I could keep my elbow straight. It's mainly the bent elbow position that gives me grieve.

I know it's not what it was originally designed for but has anyone ever trained on a secret weapon for reps??

Inside of my elbows feel good seem to have stopped just in time to prevent that from becoming another serious injury. Outside right elbow still doesn't feel 100% (more like 70%). Left shoulder feels bit better but not 100%.

Going to resume 'normal' training anyway.

Plan on starting easy and then gradually increasing the weight every week to be back at my max 6 weeks from now. If any injury gets worse I will lower the weight again. We will see what happens...

Did:

5x 3x 150kg DO deadlift

5x 5x 80kg Bench

5x 5x 50kg RT

Pinchwalks with 2x10kg (fat plates)

Mounted wristroller at waist height. Both ways. x30kg/x40kg/x50kg

Also some lunges, shoulder rehab, rows, biceps, calves.

Planning to build a 'secret weapon'. I've got the materials, but not the time.

I'm going to make it a little bit different. I want to restrict the movement to about the equivelant of a CCS set (slightly narrower). This will make it safer I think. I also plan on doing reps with it and not negatives. I like the idea of training my crush this way because I could keep my elbow straight. It's mainly the bent elbow position that gives me grieve.

I know it's not what it was originally designed for but has anyone ever trained on a secret weapon for reps??

I have read of guys doing it this way but the guy I read of who is actually also strong with grippers and consistent in use of this thing, and that's John Mccarter. I think the SW was designed for pure negatives and holds, not for reps, you will get linear resistance so I think it would be easier to use the Vulcan for that. You want to work the final crush the hardest in my opinion. About the ROM, you can decrease the ROM by just simply using the assisting hand to catch the handle when descending. My own experience is that you do not want to mount it perfectly upright, since you will get a bit of awkward position to place your arm right on top of the device. I have one that can be attached to my squat stands. I always put something on the front stand so that the device is tilted a bit. That makes for more comfortable wrist angle.

Be careful though, I have tried progressive holds for a little while but it is a one way ticket to tennis elbow if you do it to long. I'd suggest not doing more than one session per week and not more than 3 weeks in a row. But that's based on my experience. I have done it for a while, got injured and healed up, but ever since I am a bit afraid of using it again that way.

Good to see you healed up a bit buddy, I am taking a week off also. Pushing strength was dramatically low and I have a hurting shoulder. I had that problem already when we trained together, remember? I think it also has to do with my lower arm injury. It's nerve trapped somewhere. Be careful with ramping up in training man.

Edited by Geralt