• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HandsofStone

• Jonathan McMillan

• bencrush

• Griparn

Friday 7/25/03

#2- 4 sets ( Left: 7*, 4, 3, 2 / Right: 2, 1, 1, 0)

Pony Clamp- 3 sets of negatives

*- PR

I'm making great progress. I was a little short from getting 8 REPS with the #2!!!

Edited by HandsofStone

Tuesday 7/29/03

SA- 4 sets ( Left: 15*, 13, 14, 7 / Right: 6*, 12, 9, 5)

*- set was performed with a no set close

Pony Clamp- 1 set of burnouts

Friday 8/1/03

#3- 2 sets of negatives

SA- 2 sets of overcrushes

Tuesday 8/5/03

#2- 4 sets ( Left: 6, 4, 2, 1 / Right: 1, 1, 1, 0)

Today was one of those drag ass workouts. I just couldn't get psyched up enough. Oh well, we'll see how I progress on my other test day 1 1/2 weeks from now.

Guest PineAway

Nice progress HoS! Nice to see you progressing along... If I can ask, how do you decide how many reps to do each set? Do you go to failure on each set, or what? Just wondering because you seem to be making nice progress and I know my current routine isnt working so well and I'm thinking I may mold a routine similar to your, with 2 workouts per week, one day focusing more on reps, the other day focusing more on overcrushes/negatives. Keep up the good work!

PineAway,

Yes, I go to complete failure on each set. Before I do each set, its a do or die type scenerio. I bust my ass for all its worth. I've just applied to my grip training to what I've learned in powerlifting. You've got to consistently shock your body by performing different exercises/ reps in order to make those gains.

L.J.

Friday 8/8/03

SA- 4 sets (I lost the paper on which I wrote down to #'s)

Pony Clamp- 3 sets of negatives and reps

Tuesday 8/12/03

#3- 2 sets of negatives

SA- 2 sets of overcrushes

Prior to the above the workout, I finished half of the lifts for the Gripboard Bash #2. Note to self- pony clamps are a poor substitute when it comes to pinching blocks with max weight. My pinch grip went down the shitter so I'll will make it a point to improve it by the next gripboard bash.

Hands,

Don't tell me that clamp work didn't help ya?!?!!?!?! I was hoping to add some to my routine to improve my plate pinch....as you say poor substitute but maybe a good conjunction to training?

Jon@han

• 5 weeks later...

9/12/03

#2- 3sets ( Left: 6, 4, 2 / Right: 1, 2, 1)

This past month I was a little busy and squeezed in workouts when I could, ( Laziness was another factor that came into play) which was about every 1.5 weeks.

I've just recently purchased Matt Furey's " Combat Conditioning" which is comprised of calisthenics. This program really kicks your ASS INTO SHAPE. For the past couple of months I've been in a rut (messed up my back pretty good) with my powerlifting training due to bad form on the squat. My back injury pisses me off b/c I can go about my normal life and not feel pain but when it comes to pumping iron I always manage to aggravate my back again. I had so many goals in powerlifting as well. One example was that I was just one 8 week powerlifting cycle away from hitting my first 600+ deadlift. I'm sorry for venting but I had to get it off my chest. Besides the calisthenics , I'm also going to take up boxing and see where it takes me.

• 6 months later...

Well I'm finally jumping back into the swing of things. I took almost 6 months off from the grippers and regret it immensely. During that long layoff, I hadn't incorporated grippers into my workout regimen due to the fact that I was boxing and my hands were always under stress.

I've been training grippers diligently for the past 3 weeks to regain my lost strength. I still however, got a ways to go before I break any PR's.

My back is still giving me minor problems but nothing as serious as before the layoff. I just started deadllifting a month ago and I'm making great gains ( I haven't deadlifted in one year). I'm pulling about 500 as of now.

Enough of the meandering, here's my workout that I peformed an hour ago.

Grippers:

#2- 2 sets of attempted closes

#1- 2 sets of overcrushes

Rolling Thunder- 135 left, 130 right

Edited by HandsofStone

I weigh about 190 lbs. Thanks regarding the comment about the RT, it was the first time I used it.

Grippers:

#2- 2 sets ( left: 1, 1 / right: close miss, close miss)

Grippers:

#1- 2 sets ( Left: 16, 9 / Right: 12, 5)

Pony Clamp- 2 sets of negatives

Tuesday

Grippers:

#3- 2 sets of negatives

Rolling Thunder- 2 sets with 100 lbs. (Left: 18, 15 secs. / Right: 16, 14 secs.)

Thursday

Grippers:

#2- 2 sets ( Left: 2, 1 / Right: 0, 0)

#1- 1 set ( Left: 8 / Right: 6)

Plate pinches with two 25's- 2 sets ( Left: 6, 5 secs. / Right: 10, 9 secs. )

I've still got awhile before I get any PR's but atleast my overall training has been going well. My deadlift is up to 520 lbs. now.

Tuesday

Rolling Thunder- 2 sets for time with 105 lbs. ( Left: 18, 16 secs. / Right: 19, 15 secs.)

I tried for the first time today doing RT work before CoC grippers. It will NEVER happen again. My crush grip was too taxed to be worked properly. I barely got 4 reps on the #1 with my left hand. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Friday

Grippers:

#3- 2 sets of negatives

3" wood block- 2 sets for time with 50 lbs. ( Left: 6, 8 secs. / Right: 10, 11 secs.)

I felt pretty strong in the hands today. When I was doing negatives with the #3 with my left, I was holding for time well past the parallel mark. I'm predicting that the #3 will be crushed 6-7 months from now.

i know what you mean about trainng the rolling t before grippers. After a few sets of the rolling t my grip is fried and i can hardly do anything.