Starting Planning For Az Cactus Grip 6 - 2013

acorn

I bet after a few beers you will change your toon Daniel.

Haha. We'll see.

Haha. We'll see.

When I take my kids to Disney Land next year I wont go on any rides. Seriously, I'll just watch. :shifty

• Like 1

I'll tell you one thing, I'm definitely not winning any arm wrestling matches, unless somebody takes a dive.

I got some bands last month. I've been practicing every week or so. It was a ton of fun last time!

You won right last time and I got you lefty. Im diying for another round! Just stay away from the AW guys before. Those guys wear really take a tole on the arms.

You're on Rich! :rock

Got the springs sent out to Martin yesterday, and will be putting in the shirt order today. Will get a few extra's and if there are any extra after everyone is signed up I will be selling those at cost. First dibs go to competitors, then if any left I will sell them here on the GB.

- Aaron

• Like 2

T-shirts have been ordered. I ended up ordering 24 shirts even though we only have 7 signed up competitors at this point. Hopefully anybody who enters will be able to have a shirt of the proper size and the extra's will be available for sale after the final competitor starting list is set day of the comp. Wanted to share a pic of the trophies in process of being made that Martin sent me as well.

Az Cactus Grip 2013 trophies in process

• Like 4

By the way - if you win one, I can't guarantee the wood won't ever split - they are for show, not for serious gripping. Also, given the length of handle, they would only be good for warm-ups anyway :)

• Like 1

Nearly done with lathe work on the loading pin portion of the new Vbar. Then I'll weld on the base plate. Looks like it's gonna get done in time.

• Like 1

Martin did a wonderful job on those trophies! Those are sharp.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric! - they are far from done - have a lot of finish work to do. I'm also working on the bases which will have the plaques and a brass hanger sticking up that the gripper will hang from.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric! - they are far from done - have a lot of finish work to do. I'm also working on the bases which will have the plaques and a brass hanger sticking up that the gripper will hang from.

Oh, wow. Very nice! You'll have to show us the finished product.

yes definitely, they look amazing already... precise and beautiful cuts

Crud, the trophy grippers look awesome. Makes me wish I was strong so I could win one. :cry

Crud, the trophy grippers look awesome. Makes me wish I was strong so I could win one. :cry

I told Aaron I'd have to make sure to take a picture :D

I told Aaron I'd have to make sure to take a picture :D

Maybe when the others are busy with the comp we can run off with them all?

Although... we won't ever be invited back so never mind.

• Like 1

I told my sister she needs to show up and compete in the women's division, otherwise I may not take one home either. I think I almost have her talked into it. I think she's okay with the idea of the grippers and 2HP, but she looked at me kind of funny when I mentioned the DO Axle.

yes definitely, they look amazing already... precise and beautiful cuts

Thanks! I can't say there wasn't some swearing going on from time-to-time. Almost 10 years of turning and I still get a tool catch from time to time on the entry cuts. :huh:

Also - Aaron did a great job on sourcing and bending the stainless steel for the springs. Up close they look really smooth and swanky!

Also - Aaron did a great job on sourcing and bending the stainless steel for the springs. Up close they look really smooth and swanky!

Thanks Martin, Yeah I had to make a Jig / Fixture to do it then had wound them on there. I scotchbrited the SS rod before winding them to give a nice satin finish. Really happy how they came out. I made 3 extra springs as well to test with regular gripper handles and see where they end up and how they hold their tension and spread.

- Aaron

Entered and Paid list:

Open Class

Martin Braun

Jason Steeves

Daniel Reinard

Aaron Corcorran

Rich MacLean

Brandon Azevedo

Novice Class

Emiliano Lake-Herrera

On a related note, Isaiah is not going to be able to make it down due to work related issues.

Back to pre-comp news. I am just about finished with the machining on the comp Vbar. Started on the last piece to be machined during lunch today and just have the threads left to cut on it. Then onto welding the base on, and some finish Drill Press work and it will be done. Possibly by tomorrow or Friday night. Then onto the rest of the pre comp tasks to be done. I did the weighing of the 2HP setup last night, comparing it to the Eleiko plates for calibration. Amazingly, the whole setup came out exactly to the hundreth of a Kilo of where I thought it was. I plan to drill some lightening holes in some of the spacers to get it down to 25.00Kg with the 48mm or 51.5mm Spacer in and 25.25Kg with the 54mm spacer, and 25.5kg with the 58mm. Wish me luck. That should make it a little easier to keep track of with the different widths. Still need to make some calibration weights to add to the clamps as well.

- Aaron

• Like 1

On a related note, Isaiah is not going to be able to make it down due to work related issues.

Sorry to hear Isaiah will not be able to make it. I was looking forward to seeing how he did AW'ing, and watch him crush some metal.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear Isaiah will not be able to make it. I was looking forward to seeing how he did AW'ing, and watch him crush some metal.

Ditto

I'm bummed that I won't be able to make it. I was super excited to go. Crush it guys!

Entry list:

Open Class

Martin Braun

Jason Steeves

Daniel Reinard

Aaron Corcorran

Rich MacLean

Brandon Azevedo

Steve Callahan - not yet paid

Novice Class

Emiliano Lake-Herrera