Starting Planning For Az Cactus Grip 6 - 2013

acorn

Just paid and ordered my tickets and car. We'll be there after lunch on the 12th.

• Like 2

Just paid and ordered my tickets and car. We'll be there after lunch on the 12th.

Awesome!

Entered and Paid list:

Open Class

Isaiah Hubert

Martin Braun

Jason Steeves

Daniel Reinard

Aaron Corcorran

Novice Class

Derek said he's going to be out of town that weekend, so the amount of trash talk just dropped by a factor of 100x. :devil:D:D:D

• Like 4

We won't have to worry about slipping on 532 empty ammonia caps either hahaha!

• Like 3

Also, no screaming and bulgy eyes.

Well, not nearly as much anyway. I may still bring some of that to the party.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Also, no screaming and bulgy eyes.

Well, not nearly as much anyway. I may still bring some of that to the party.

- Aaron

Ok. Half as much. You will be missed Derek!

Ok, I'm at least 80% sure I will likely do 50mm VBar as the 4th event. I started pricing steel today for the components. Gonna get enough steel to do 3 swap top setups. 1 Comp setup and sell the other 2. So anybody has interest in one that is coming, let me know. Will be ordering some SS for the trophie springs too soon. The test Springs are wound for the trophies and will be shipped out to Martin this week for trophy layout finalizing. Put in the order for the set of Eleiko certified PL plates yesterday. Getting freight quotes now and they will likely be on a truck by the end of the week. Early Tomato seedlings are getting their first flower bud and Garden is nearly ready for early spring planting. More Carrots are coming up. Mmmm fresh carrots. I wonder if the Asparagus will have popped by the time the comp is on. I love the first fresh Asparagus of the season. Stuff is coming together.

On a slightly different note, I'm gonna stop by another one of the local Crossfit Gyms this week sometime and check interest level for joining us for the comp based on a tip.

- Aaron

• Like 4

Sick! Some Crossfitters would be cool to have joining us.

Cool Aaron. The trophies sound interesting! Is the bar surface going to be seasoned or slick?

Man, I'm jealous to hear about your garden. I cant hardly wait to start mine but I have 3-4 months to wait.

Fair bit of snow and ice up around here for gardening yet.

Was in the 70's today. Jason you may wanna bring mostly warm weather clothes next month duder.

Yeah, seriously. At this rate, it may be in the 80's by March.

Shorts and tee's. I mentioned to Gail that she'd better pack for the heat as well.

Looking forward to some sight seeing.

Cool Aaron. The trophies sound interesting! Is the bar surface going to be seasoned or slick?

Always gonna be seasoned with me if I get it built soon enough to do so. Will likely be ordering the steel soon for 3 setups with both 1.5" and 50mm handles. The 50mm I will be turning down from 2" and the setup will take certified plates. My certified plates will be shipping from Chicago tomorrow so I will be able to very accurately weigh the setups too for future comp use.

Also thanks Daniel for the monetary sponsorship of the comp!

One more to add to the entered list.

Entered and Paid list:

Open Class

Isaiah Hubert

Martin Braun

Jason Steeves

Daniel Reinard

Aaron Corcorran

Rich MacLean

Novice Class

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer guys. Down to the last 3 weeks before the comp. I'm holding a group event training session at my house on Sunday morning if anyone wants to stop by and test how they are doing on the actual comp equipment or get some pointers. Message me if you need directions or to let me know if you are coming. Anybody else gonna enter the comp? If so I need your shirt sizes very soon!

- Aaron

Been thinking about a possible minor change to 4th event. Would be to run it with 50mm Vbar for the men, and 1.5" Vbar for the Ladies if any show up. So far still none entered. The new setup once I get it done will allow us to switch back and forth handle sizes on the same pin without having to unload pretty quickly. 2" Vbar has always seemed hella big for most ladies hands I have seen that have tried it. That and maybe running the 2HP in a rounds format so that everyone keeps their order and stays involved consistently instead of having to sit and wait for a long time. Would likely need more help with loading though and would only do this if we have a bunch of novices show up on the day of the comp. Thoughts?

Most of the steel for the Vbars is in, and the steel for the Trophy gripper springs. Gonna try to wind those over the next few days to get out to Martin.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

Sounds good Aaron. Your comps run quick and smooth so whichever you decide I'm sure is best. That 2HP is so darn slick (as in bada$$) anyways. Makes for a quick event.

Sounds good Aaron. Your comps run quick and smooth so whichever you decide I'm sure is best. That 2HP is so darn slick (as in bada$$) anyways. Makes for a quick event.

Cool, thanks!

Over the next few days I hope to re-weigh all the 2HP pieces against the new Eleiko's and possibly make some adjustments to get it down to an even 25kg at 48mm setup. That and I'm gonna add a little calibration weight to the clamps to take them to an even .5kg each as well. The spin locks I was gonna use for the axle came out at 2.50kg and 2.58kg against the Eleiko 2.5kg plate as a guide. Will lighten the heavy one so we can run straight up Kg's. Will likely do 2.5kg jumps on plate loaded events with the option to go with the smallest increment plates I have (.25Kg) if you are trying to break a class or world record.

- Aaron

• Like 1

The 2HP format never bothered me. Even with all the people competing at the IPP I was still comfortable. Excited to see this 50mm set-up! And to compete!

Looking forward to it guys. I had a blast last year coming down competing, meeting everyone and spending a weekend down there. This time I'm taking a week so Gail and I'll get to see some more of the countryside. Going to be flying right into Tucson though due to the shortened timeline though.

The GF and I will be looking to catch some spring season baseball too up in Phoenix. I think the A's play Sunday or Monday.