Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

5/1: Powerlifting Coaching

My friend's father came to town, and we went to the gym and trained for a few hours. He gave me feedback on all my lifts, which is something I've been needing badly.

Squat

Still bad at finding the correct bar placement. Need a lot of work on this.

Knees are good, form is alright. Learned how to activate hamstrings more.

Also did "Dream Makers", as he calls heavy walk-outs. This is where you practice the next level and reach for the dream poundages. Sounds cool.

Bench

Good form on this already. Feet can be placed a little closer to body.

The foreign equipment felt a bit weird, but maxed out at 166. New PR by 20lbs!

Deadlift

I'm ditching the weight I can move on this one, because now that I've started to lean back more, I can barely get 135 up sometimes.

I attribute this to a weak pair of legs. When I pull my max weight, my shoulders are a good 4 inches ahead of my hands.

I need to get this sorted out and figure what's wrong. Thoughts, Eric?

Press

The man pressed 225 the first time he picked up a bar in high school, and he said my form was good.

I'll take that.

All in all, a very productive 3 hours spent. Glad to have made a great friend and comrade who's generations apart, and that's something that a common interest and lifestyle can do.

By the way, ALMOST got 171 up as well. Probably with a few more minutes of rest, this would've gone up easily.

Got it off the bottom position but stalled about a third in.

You know how everybody always says "lift with your legs, not your Back?" kind of the same thing with deadlifts... My back holds the bar in place (near the body) while the legs and hips bring it up.

Of course, there is more going on than that, but that's how I always think of it.

Ah, I see. I guess I was compensating all along then, and lifting with my back since it's stronger than my legs.

I'm back to a 150# deadlift.

Another PR.

Closed #2 rated at 105# from GHP block set (1 inch).

• Like 1

5/2: SS-W9D3: Pull ups

Pull ups

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, 15x5, 30x3, 45x2

Working: 60x5(Chin height iffy), 60x5(Easy!), 60x5(Total control... went for 2 more reps but not full ROM)

Note: 10+minutes between working sets.

Congrats on that huge bench PR, Yori! And that gripper PR!

I believe correct deadlift form is that which will yield the heaviest weight for you as an individual. It's hard to say without seeing a video of your before and after forms, but something doesn't sound right if your deadlift decreased by that much because of a "form improvement". Does this form change have anything to do with your legs and arms length imbalance? When you say weak legs, do you mean weak hamstrings? And were you shifting your weight to your toes previously?

Thanks Eric!

Been plugging away at my goals, glad to get them even step by step.

The reason the form was corrected was to reduce possibility for injury, as well as raising my possible future max.

If somebody violently jerks their deadlift but can pull a lot of weight like that, does that require correction? I think it does if he'd like to stay healthy for long.

As for the max potential increase, I think it's similar to when people start gripping and don't set their grippers and instead do what feels right. If they learn how to set, it feels weird at first and a gripper they've closed before might not shut until they practice a lot.

That being said, after somebody has adequate knowledge and training, whatever works for them is usually best.

I think I'll send you a video so you can tell me what you think of my form.

My hands are reptilian. Grippers and hexes, thick bar and pinch...

Finals end tomorrow.

In a few weeks, I should be able to do 200lbs total pull ups as my working weight.

Also, my starting strength program seems to be winding down to an end.

I think I'll be getting a membership to a nearby gym so I can continue the program after the 12 weeks. Maybe I owe myself a deload before that though.

I'm still making some gains and don't want to leave them just because my calendar says so.

5/6: SS-W10D1: Squat

Last day of finals. Went to gym beforehand and wanted to do squats and deadlifts.

Before the session, I raced against my friend in a 200m sprint, and we both got around 34secs, him a second faster than me.

I've never been a fast runner at all, but this running fried my legs and hindered my squatting.

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 115x2

Working: 140x5, 140x2(burnt out), 95x5

Note: although my working sets sucked, my form has gotten better and I think I'll be unstalling myself soon. I may need to move back in weight in order to do this, and it may not show until after my program is over. But I do know that with weak legs and a 135 squat, there is only one direction to go.

5/6 ROCK CLIMBING

Went rock climbing for the first time ever. It was a blast!

Felt like a really great open grip endurance building exercise, and my forearms were burning before long.

No wonder these guys can pull so much on the axle!!!

I thought I did good as a first time climber, until I found out that I can only use certain color coded rocks.

Guess I shouldn't expect to be the best, although I walked in knowing that "5.11" meant difficult, and I wanted to climb those.

First, I climbed the easy walls with only my arms, no legs. This probably contributed greatly to my early burn.

Still, this was very easy and I could outclimb my friends who were using all limbs.

Then, I went and did some advanced walls on "rainbow" which is supposed to mean all colors allowed. I hate the decline slants, they tear your grip up fast.

On these I got up almost the whole way, but the angle and spacing of rocks got me.

Finally, tried out some medium level rocks on "rainbow" and found my way up them.

This is where somebody told me the levels are dependant on the rocks you use, and I tried going for the 5.9 level but was too fried to get it.

Saw a girl climbing at this level, which felt weird. Tried again, and failed.

Then I realized that the walls were not actually divided off in columns and that there were more rocks available than I thought.
Realistically, I think I can get this level when I go next time, given that I'm fresh and have chalk.

Fun. TRY IT.

Week of 5/6 to 5/12

Monday 5/6-Rock climbing. Heavy bicep wear

Tuesday 5/7-Rest

Wednesday 5/8-Rest

Thursday 5/9-Rest

Friday 5/10-AW Practice, still sore from rock climbing

Saturday 5/11-Pushed friend's car around after it died on the street. He has a 80s steel car. Heavy. Also climbed a tree drunk and tore up my hands.

Sunday 5/12-AW Practice again.

Note: overworked pulling muscles. I'll take a good 5 days off before any more. Fun for sure though.

Yes, but I'm still stuck at 70lbs. I do light ones to get the form down often.

I will work it into my program somehow during 5/3/1. Probably as an assistance lift.

Also, I've been stalled in Starting Strength due to no gym access. I'll be getting a trial membership to anytime so I can use these two weeks before Nats to finish up and get stronger.

Signed a lease for a new apartment.

Great thing about this is that I'm getting a tiny 6x6 storage unit, which I'll be able to use as a gym.

It's small but I can fit squat stands, a bench, and a 5 ft axle in there.

• Like 1

5/20: SS-W10D3, Pull Ups

Pull up

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, 15x5, 30x3, 45x2

Working: 60x5, 60x5, 60x5 (Easy lockouts)

Note: very rushed in this workout. Didn't check the weight before I did my working set (was supposed to work with 62.5#s today)

I may redo this in a few days.

Also, I made myself a 5-ft axle.

Stuck collars on it and voila, it works.

Now, I just need to get more weight to put on it and I can start to work.

Also made an inch trainer, and I'm lifting just about 100lbs on it. Lefty, at least. Right gives me problems.

5/6: SS-W10D1: Squat

Last day of finals. Went to gym beforehand and wanted to do squats and deadlifts.

Before the session, I raced against my friend in a 200m sprint, and we both got around 34secs, him a second faster than me.

I've never been a fast runner at all, but this running fried my legs and hindered my squatting.

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 115x2

Working: 140x5, 140x2(burnt out), 95x5

Note: although my working sets sucked, my form has gotten better and I think I'll be unstalling myself soon. I may need to move back in weight in order to do this, and it may not show until after my program is over. But I do know that with weak legs and a 135 squat, there is only one direction to go.

Read through the past few pages of posts and seems like you're making great progress, keep it up! Just happened to notice the thing about sprinting and thought I'd chime in given that I used to compete at a national level. Forgive me for being blunt, but I hope that you know me well enough to realise that I am not trying to give offense. Obviously without watching you run, I can't tell what the issues are - but a 34 second 200m isn't great for someone who is as fit/strong as you are.

I appreciate that for most people on the board running fast isn't a goal, but I might suggest that incorporating some sprints - or at least explosive lower body plyometric type work - might actually help with the leg strength deficit you were describing when deadlifting. After a few years of training for sprints and long jump, the first time I ever tried a deadlift I picked up double bodyweight pretty comfortably (about 165kg at the time). I would suggest that the sprints and jumping added some strength, but what it teaches you to do primarily is to maximise access to muscle motor units within your existing strength at any one time (make the most of whatever strength you have already).

It's been a long time since I was actually training for track and field due to my achilles tear a couple of years ago - but if it was something that interested you I could dig out some old training schedules. It mainly consists of drills, plyos and sprints/jumps. Will absolutely take no offence if you aren't interested/think I'm talking nonsense - I'm still learning about strength/power/performance, so would be interested to hear others' opinions!

Pat-thanks for letting me know what you think, and I believe you're right.

I've been working on upper body for years (especially pulling) so I'm imbalanced in my legs.

It's something I'll improve upon this year.

I'll take up sprinting as well. I'd like to have a "fast" time. Would that be 25 seconds?

On a side note, I hit a new DL PR today. 2.17xBW, 275#s double overhand.

Will write an update about this workout later.

• Like 1

Nice deadlift, Yori!

• Like 1

Pat-thanks for letting me know what you think, and I believe you're right.

I've been working on upper body for years (especially pulling) so I'm imbalanced in my legs.

It's something I'll improve upon this year.

I'll take up sprinting as well. I'd like to have a "fast" time. Would that be 25 seconds?

On a side note, I hit a new DL PR today. 2.17xBW, 275#s double overhand.

Will write an update about this workout later.

2.17 x BW DO is nice, DL is something I really want to improve on, my support grip is really poor compared to my crush. I can only get about 1.77 x BW with DO.

Regarding sprinting, it's really hard for me to say what a 'fast' time is - I have little experience of 'normal' people in athletics. (I'm no slouch and lots of the people I trained and competed with were considerably more athletic than I am. One guy ran a windy 10.91 for the 100m at 13 years old...) With that said, I would consider anything under 26 seconds to be quick for someone who doesn't run track. Definitely a worthy goal.

My starting strength program has officially come to an end.

I will max in squats, and then post my totals and improvements.

My starting strength program has officially come to an end.

I will max in squats, and then post my totals and improvements.

Very much looking forward to seeing the numbers that reflect your progress.