Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

4/14: AW practice (x2)

Because I missed my weekly weighted Pull ups, I felt stronger at yesterday's AW practice.

Ian has been able to beat me from any position, meaning his weakest position was stronger than my strongest position.

Yesterday, after tinkering around with angles, I found a place I can pull him from that starts with a combination move.

Although he let me into the position, this means that I'm good enough to finish him off if I can get there.

The move I did is three steps: start from a high hook with the thumb uncovered, then into a limp wrist press, then quickly turn that into a toproll with the thumb now fully capped.

Jarrod didn't like it, but it did help me toproll Ian, who previously hasn't been toprollable by me.

I'll be sending this video outlining the move to Michael Hann so he can let me know what he thinks.

Had a second practice with my roommate later just because. Practiced a few moves on him too, and called it a day.

4/15: SS-W7D1, Squats and DLs

Started KTA Program

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 85x3, 105x2

Working: 130x5, 130x5, 130x4(stuck in hole 5th attempt)

Bent Press

Singles: 30, 45, 50, 60(R only)

DL (Double Underhand)

Warm up: 135x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x3, 195x2

Working: 220x5(last two reps were continental)

Note: My back is healed. Programming has reverted about 4 weeks, but at least I can pull again.

Experimenting with DU grip to keep my spine extended. The asymmetry in my arms and legs are bothering me.

KTA will have me closing my GHP6 soon enough.

Oh, you're gonna be sore tomorrow. Haha. Glad to hear your back has healed.

You healed fast. Good deal!

Thanks guys, my back is sore but I'm glad I'm deadlifting again.

Also, my arms twice as sore as usual because of the emphasis I put on AW practice this week. Much more sore than doing pull ups.

Going to the gym in an hour to try and conquer 141#s for 3 sets of 5 (bench press).

This will put my calculated max at 170, and I'm only half way through the Starting Strength program.

Also, I want to start focusing on Rolling Thunder and Hub more. My gripper closes will be up to par after KTA, I think.

135 on the RT.

I'm currently pulling only 95 on it.

I'd also hub race with you, but I can't seem to break 35 on my new one. 45 was no problem at the contest, I think I need to break it in more.

Sounds good... I think I can pull 200 for a single pretty soon, so ill either go for 200 for sets of 2, or 210 for a single

4/17: SS-W7D2, Squat and Bench

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 85x3, 105x2

Working: 130x5, 130x5, 130x5

Bench

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 90x3, 115x2

Working: 141x5, 141x5, 141x4 (just missed 5!)

Note: Rushed to leave the gym today, with just a minute more rest, I would've gotten 6 reps on the last set. I'll safely move on to 146x5x3 next week.

My training partner's bench has been 170 for the past month, but he's been maxing stupidly... after his entire work out, every session. I told him to warm up and try 190, and he got it. Where I'm at now is where his old max was, but I'll catch up to his new max in a month.

Pull up workouts have been pushed aside because of AW, but tonight I come back and conquer 57.5x5x3!

Video will be taken for first set.

4/20: SS-W7D3, Weighted Pull Ups

Video taken for Eric Milfeld's pull up contest.

Pull ups

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, 15x5, 30x3, 45x2

Working: 57.5x5, 57.5x5, 57.5x5(2 were negatives)

Note: the weight used is actually 5lbs heavier than what's marked here. Including the chin belt and chain, etc. the working sets were done with 63lbs.

My calculated max is getting ever so close to 100lbs weighted.

Got into the 175 club over on the pull up contest thread!

4/22: SS-W8D1, Squat and Deadlift

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 115x2

Working: 135x5, 135x5, 135x5

Deadlift

Warm up: 135x5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 205x2

Working: 225x5

Note: fully recovered from prior back injury now! My squat and deadlift are stronger than ever.

I'll be getting fractional plates soon so will be able to make 7.5lbs jumps on the DL instead of pushing for 10.

I received tips on these lifts yesterday and implemented them right away. Big difference!

Note: fully recovered from prior back injury now! My squat and deadlift are stronger than ever.

I'll be getting fractional plates soon so will be able to make 7.5lbs jumps on the DL instead of pushing for 10.

I received tips on these lifts yesterday and implemented them right away. Big difference!

That's fantastic news! I know that's a good feeling.

4/24: SS-W8D2, Squat and Bench

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5 95x3, 115x2

Working: 140x4, 140x2, skipped last set(140x5x3 attempted)

Bench

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 120x2

Working: 146x4, 146x2, 136x2(146x5x3 attempted)

Note: TOTAL SHIT. My training partner paid zero attention while spotting on most of my work sets and I was really thrown off by it. The negative energy caused me to fall short greatly, and these were poundages that I could've hit.

Bottomed out many times on the squat and by the last set, saw no point in reinforcing the negative. The results from squatting bred similar results in benching, and this was again a weight that I could've done every rep in.

Only positive note is that 146 on bench was m starting max. I almost repped it five times yesterday. Also learned how mental lifting can be.

I don't have the time left on my current program to be wasting away like this.

When benching, use the rack, then you don't have to worry about anybody spotting you, and you can focus all of your energy (mental and physical) into making the lift, without any creeping fear of it crushing you holding you back.

Unfortunately there are only 4 racks in the entire gym so they're to be used for squats.

I don't have a fear of being crushed, but it was more that I was pissed that he wasn't paying due attention and that affected me.

Hey, there is only 1 rack at the Y I go to. And ain't nobody keeping me out of it. Haha

But yeah, point is to minimize the mental distraction. If he's a distraction, tell him to quit screwing around.

Hung out with a powerlifter friend of mine and he taught me a few things about deadlifting and prehab.

Left with a lot more knowlege and will be implementing it in preparation to nationals.

4/28: AW Practice (in the stead of Weighted pull ups)

Practice at Bikini's. David (powerlifter)'s girlfriend works here, and the management lets us practice once a month or so.

No real progress, but I've decided to start training for AW specific strength.

Trying to fit at least 3 types of AW exercises along with RT every week now. Gotta schedule this in before Bobby beats me to his RT goals.

4/29: SS-W9D1, Bench Press

Usually do bench on wednesdays, but today is a good exception.

Bench

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 70x5, 95x3, 115x2

Working: 145x5(bad groove), 145x5(EASY, found the groove), 145x2(stuck mid-rep when I lost it), 145x2(Tired)

Note: forgot to bring my Manus grips today. I can push the same bench with or without it.

145 was my max as soon as I learned correct benching technique near the beginning of this program. I can handle it with ease now.

Going to go meet a friend's dad, who used to be a powerlifter with a 500+squat. He'll be sharing with me his experience and wisdom.