Domination Of The Pink Weights

dpc

Oh and Matt... I talked to the people at the nicer gym and tehy won't lower their prices. I do get a discount for working at the zoo, so it'd be $45 a month. I told them I plan on being there a long time and they said I could pay for 2 years up front and it'd be get a 10% discount but even that comes out to $40 a month (paid upfront). So I'll be sticking to the crap gym.

That sucks, I wish they would be more flexible and go for your business instead of pushing customers away with those kind of prices... Now at least you can use that money you're saving and start adding some nice quality food into the diet. The difference will do wonders, just maybe use straps on the deadlifts like we talked about and do the extra grip work.

That is awesome you walked to the gym even though it was frigid out. That is Bad Ass, that kind of attitude will go far!

What kind of help does this bodybuilder need do you think??

12/8/13

ME bench

db bench press

20x10

30x10

40x18,14,11 (these were all to failure)

jm press

barx8

65x8x3

db row

25x10

40x10

55x10x2

db side raise

15x10x3

really wanting to go to that other gym. should i just suck it up and pay $45 a month? it would just be so much easier and better.

matt...that bodybuilder just needs information. he needs someone who has been aroudn the block to help him. i could tell just by talking to him that he was excited and into it but just lacked any education, but i dont think he knew that.

de lower body

squat

barx8

95x3

115x2x8

deadlift

135x1x6

i took both of these pretty damn serious. i acted as if this was a weight pr on both lifts. my pull feels great. its real fast (for me)... oneof them i nearly fell backwards i pulled so hard.

30 total pull ups (3 different hand positions)

back extension

4 sets of 12

supersetted with ab work

Dylan - if you are willing to pay the extra cash and the money is available then I would say go for it. I only object because I don't want it to cut into your food budget, and out of principal because the fees were so high...

If your friend wants to forward his questions through you to me I'm always open to some Q & A

Edited by MattM

Eh I'm not sure. I do have what I need on a minimum level. Its just a pain in the butt there. Bad equipment shoved in a room the side of a bathroom with 20 people. Just a pain

12/11/13

De upper body

Speed bench

Barx5x3 (each set with different hand position)

65x3x2 (two different hand positions)

85x3x9 (3 differsnt hand positions)

Felt slow and weak and horrible

DB work (each set of 12 reps)

1 set of flat DB press with 40 lbs

1 set of incline press with 35 lbs

1 set of shoulder press with 30 lbs

Flat bar tri push down

35x12x4

35x17 (this was failure)

Upright row

40x10x4

Hammer curl

25x8x3

12/13/2013

ME lower

i was so excited to deadlift and turned out to be a bad day. i had to go to the gym early.. i hate training early... because of a education program at my job that i was going to partake in at a elementary school in midafternoon.

deadlift

135x3x2

165x2

185x2

205x1

i called it here. my lower back was strained and i dont feel like aggravating my spine issue. i tried to do some light leg pressing but quit after a few reps. not worth hurting myself.

but at the education program i was in an empty gym and they had a pull up bar so i did some pull ups :)

about the other gym:

i went back there today to really scope out what they have. they have teh same amount of benches as my current gym, 1 more incline bench and 1 decline bench (my current gym has no decline). dumbbells are dumbbells. the other gym has two platforms and also two squat racks. each area has its own bar. my current gym has one lunge rack with one bar. the power racks are the other gym are the same as ndsu so id be able to do rack pulls easier as well as i could add floor pressing and rack lockouts. the other gym also has bumper plates which make weak people like me be able to warm up better on deadlifts. the other gym also had a GHR.

the main issue with my current gym is lack of equipment and space. we are all bunched together in a very small room. hard to move around and also you must wait around a lot if someone is using the rack. if i went to the new gym id also be able to add a lot more:

rack lockouts

rack pulls (easier)

decline bench (both barbell and dumbbell)

deficit deads

floor press

GHR

easier to box squat (at my current gym i have to steal a bench and drag it ot the rack)

the obvious reason i wouldnt want to go there is price. with my company discount it would be $45 a month. i talked to someoen who goes there and they only pay $25 a month with their company discount. im going to try and ask one of my bosses to call them and ask why we get only a $10 discount but the other company gets a $25 discount. (itd make more sense to give our company the bigger discount when we only have 15 employees yet the other business has over 100 employees)

so that is my thinking right now. sorry so long. i really do want to go to this new gym, and doing the math id be able to financially. but spending $300 less a year on training is a pretty big gap. but if i go to the new gym i feel i might be more motivated as well as be able to train better.

xoxo

12/14/13

ME upper

Incline bench

Barx8

65x5

85x3

105x3

125x1

135x2

One rep improvement since a few weeks ago. Not very good

DB shoulder press

35x15x2

Lying DB extension

15x12x4

Wide grip pull down

85x8

100x8

120x8x2 (pretty sure this is a PR)

DB side raise

17.5x10x3

Hammer curl

30x8x2

I would say go for the nicer gym then. You sound like you are ready for a change, even if the price sucks a bit. The atmosphere might prompt more progress and like you said the equipment is much nicer. The only caution is again to make sure that it doesn't cut into your food budget. The cheapest sources of useful food are usually

-frozen chicken breast

-80/20 ground beef

-peanut butter

-rice (in bulk)

-bread (just get the cheapest brand)

-canola oil

-bbq sauce (makes eating all the chicken bearable)

I almost always have these things in the house.

Awesome work on deadlift by the way, it's been a while since you pulled from the ground! How is the back feeling?

Eh it was just a crappy session. I could have easily pulled more and wanted to but said no because I was feeling pain already and didn't want to push it. I think just lifting early when my back isn't awake just doesn'tw ork but I didn't have a choice that day. I know I could have done more.

This week I have to do ME again instead of DE. I'm flying to AZ for a few days and then when I get back it'll be Xmas and the gym will be closed. So after Wednesday I won't be able to train again until next Thursday :(

Still haven't made a decision on the gym. I just hate that they only care about money and could care less about helping people better themselves.

12/17/13

ME squat

squat

barx8

95x5

115x5

135x3

160x2

185x1

205x1

10 pounds over a couple of weeks ago and did that with a sore hip from work. felt real good too.

at this point my ass was pretty sore from squatting and i just said "screw it, i dont wanna walk tomorrow"

deadlift

135x5x3

body weight back extensions

5 sets of 12

abs

my ass is numb, my lower back feels like i have a baseball growing out of it and my abs are so tight i can feel it when i breath. this was the best workout in months.

12/18/13

ME upper

db bench

20x10x2

30x8x2

40x20, 14, 12 (the first and third sets are PR's for their respective sets)

rope tri pushdown

30x10x4

v-grip pull down

85x8

100x8x3

leaving tomorrow for arizona. when i get back ill be able to train on monday.

12/28/13

ME upper

flat bench with ring finger on power ring

barx8

65x5

85x3

105x3

115x3

135x4

was going to go for 3 but ended up getting 4. this is 3 reps better then a few weeks ago so things are progressing nicely.

standing military press

barx8

65x6

75x6x5

wide grip pull down

100x8x5

lying tri extension

17.5x10x3

supersetted with

hammer curls

30x8x3

first good upperbody lift in two months. ive made a few simple changes that i think has been helping me.

1) im waiting a lot longer after i eat to go to the gym usually id eat and then take off but lately ive been eating and awiting an hour to go.

2) im warming up better. ive always been pretty good about warming up and never just jumped in (i never log my warm ups though).. but lately before any sort of ME pressing ill go and do a few sets of light db bench or something of that nature. helps me warm up a bit.

3) i bought one of those fitness band thingys. its not a band but the things ladies use with handles. i bought one and do 100 reps of tri pushdowns a day (unless im doing ME pressing the next day). ill also do some standing abs with it and band pull aparts.

1/1/14

DE bench

speed bench

barx5x3 each set with a different grip (normal bench grip, close grip, middle finger on power ring)

65x3x3 each set with differen grip

85x3x9 3 sets for each grip

flat db bench

45x10

incline db

40x10

shoulder press

35x10

flat bar tri cable pushdowns

35x12

42.5x12x3

db row

sets of 10

On New Years Day I slipped on the ice. No big deal but I slightly pulled a muscle in my hamstring and my Matt calf. I skipped leg day on Thursday and chose to do it today. When I got to the gym my leg was still a bit sore and the gym was the busiest it's ever been. Couldn't walk 5 feet without moving out of someones way. Just did a few things and left.

1/4/13

ME Squat

Leg Press (I wanted to do some rack pulls but the one squat rack was filled with people.)

platex10

plate+25 x5

2plates x3

2plates+25 x3

3plates x 3

3plates+25 x3

4 sets of 12 reps back extension

abs

Leg is feeling better, just takes some time. Next week I'll do the rack pulling.

1/5/14

ME Upper

incline bench

barx8x2

65x5

85x3

105x3

115x1

125x1

140x1

felt like crap. im not sure why but my right shoulder and right elbow was hurting throughout the session. as i type this now it feels really warm was the rest of my body feels normal.

bb standing press

barx5

65x5

85x5x3

lying db extension

17.5x10x3

wide grip pulldown

100x8

120x8x2

side note:

on tuesday (the 7th) i am switching areas at my job part time. my current area does not involve a lot of physical labor. this new area ill be working in involves a lot more physical labor and it also a lot more dangerous. shouldnt interfere with training though.

Regarding the shoulder & elbow - have you been wearing the elbow sleeves still? Also what type of physical labor are we talking about?

Haven't been wearing the sleeve but I probably will now.

I'm basically a farm boy. Lots of moving hay and straw now. On my feet all day. Working with 2000 lb horses. Outside in the freezing cold or heat all day. Just takes a more physical toll then the other position. But my time will be spent in both areas.

1/10/13

Not happy

went in to do ME lower body and do some rack pulls. on my 4th set my lower back had a few pops and i called it. im fine now but didnt want to do something that will upset my back.

not happy.