Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Thanks man, how much harder is the red and grade 8? Are they

pretty close

pretty close

The kink is going to be harder, anywhere from 20-40lbs harder, I'm guessing, but the sweep and crush will be about the same. Also the "M" bar is right underneath the Red.

pretty close

They are reasonably close. It doesn't matter anymore, but when my level was right around both, I actually preferred the Red. The G8 has a springiness to it...the Red stays bent.

When tackling the G8...remember to EXPLODE on it. A hesitant hit is actually going to work against you.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, Is there anything else that would be good for practice

i am going to a rather huge hardware store today.

pretty close

I think the length also makes a big difference for some people. Grade 8's are 6 inches long while Red Nails are 7 inches long. A lot of people say you will be able to bend a red nail weeks after bending your first grade 8. I think this applies to people who don't struggle with shoulder flexibility issues. I struggled getting into position with 6 inch steel. I got comfortable with 6 inch steel by using bolts, but when I tried a red it felt much harder because I couldn't even come close to getting the 7 inch length in proper position. For this same reason I bent a blue nail before I bent a yellow nail. If someone has the same issue as me, I wouldn't even recommend bending bolts for that reason (unless you buy 7 inch bolts). I would recommend just sticking with 7 inch length if your goal is the red nail. Some people are different. Your flexibility seems much better than mine Josh. You are already keeping the bar way up high so you may be one of the people who bends a red soon after the grade 8. Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Yea i am actually going lighter on my weight lifting, I dont realy want anymore

thickness in my back or shoulders cause it seems to affect my flexibility. I would

like to stick in the 10 to 12 reps.

I bent a Grade 8 a good year and a half before bending a red. Personally I hated bolts and didn't really find them productive for training progression, but everyone is different. The most productive bar for me was 19/64" 0-1 Drill Rod (L's & M's fell pretty quick once I got the technique down). Like Chez said (I said this to him about 100 times :P) longer stock is going to be more productive for progress than shorter.

Well i found some 7in 80D nails and 7in spikes and got some CRS 5/16th from

Menards dont no if it will be easier or harder than a red but it was

cheap.

Any updates Josh?

5/16" HRS is a good facsimile of a red but obviously easier. I used to warm-up with them before testing w/ the red. The kink is similar but the sweep & crush are easier. .. imo!

Yes i bent a peice of the 5/16th CRS yesterday ! i will have the vid up later today

i used double wraps.

• Like 1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=yCKBtVv9bjU

5/16 CRS this is my best so far, This stuff was stout.

Great bend dude. That is awesome that you able to find CRS so close by. The only steel close to me other than nails or bolts is HRS and it has a different feel. Those bars are really going to help you get the red.

Thanks guys, a three foot peice was like 3.50 and i also found 8in 5/16 grade 2 bolts.

Also some 7in spikes but there crazy tough.

Aww man... can't see the vid on mobil.

I'll check it when I get home on the PC.

Great progress Josh. .. you're looking like the next RED Nail guy bud!!

Aww man... can't see the vid on mobil.

I'll check it when I get home on the PC.

Great progress Josh. .. you're looking like the next RED Nail guy bud!!

Thanks man. Im sorry i also don't have access to a computer at the moment

i will fix it soon as i can!;)

Nice work bud!

Work your way down to smaller wraps till you do it with single imps & you're on your way !

Thats my goal and thanks!

All I used for a long time were single IMP and I just hammered that bar until it moved and if it moved I didn't stop trying until my hands were bleeding, it was bedtime, or the bar was bent. Sometimes you have to be hardheaded, especially when you're still new to the bending game.

I have been doing more movements in

my regular workout that help my bending plus some lever work. I plan to get that rednail

in single IM pads soon!

Best advice I was given was to be d exclusively in IMP's. especially as strong as you already are. Just need the technique and hand conditioning

Yea i have only been bending for a couple months, my hands are getting

more used to it now. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1