Getting Ready For My First Pl Meet: Would These Lifts Pass?

Mike Rinderle

Tomorrow's the big day. Thinking about coughing up the extra money and benching too. My bench sucks, but it could be good practice for the full meet on March 31. I appreciate all the feedback and help I have gotten as I have worked toward this goal. Hopefully i pull a decent number tomorrow, have fun, and learn a lot!

If you are competing USAPL, have someone cal a "press" command for you. The judges will be more lenient.

Your first meet, open light, really light. Say 85% of your max. You will feel better getting more lifts in.

Also, saw your recent videos and your 365 squat looked good. Be ready for jerk judges though.

Shit, tomorrow! Sorry Mike about late advice!

Just got home. Great time at my first meet. I want to thank Carl Donati and Rick Walker for coming out to support me. Carl benched and did really well with a 315 raw bench.

My wife and I drove out Friday night and it took almost 6 hours due to snow. Got 6 solid hours of sleep and drove a 1/2 hour to the meet about 7:30 Saturday morning. Weighed in at 240.5 and started hydrating up. Didn't really have to cut much at all. Just stopped liquids at 8 PM the night before. I tried to sign up late to bench but wasn't able to.

There was one flight of squats, 3 flights of bench and 2 flights of deads. My opener put me as the 12th lifter out of 14 in the final flight. All that meant almost 7 hours of nerves before my first pull. I almost talked myself into lowering my opener because I was pretty stiff and not sure what to expect with my first time on the platform. Glad I didn't because 451 was a smoke show. Went up really fast.

Went for my goal weight plus 1.5 lbs for my second attempt (501.5). It went up without too much of a fight. Something happened between my 2nd and 3rd lifts. I couldn't seem to get as focussed for my 3rd lift and just wasn't right mentally for my 3rd attempt, which was 512.5. It would have been an alltime PR of 2.5 lbs. The way 501.5 came up, I thought I had a real good shot at it. It started up but when it stalled, instead of grinding it out like I normally do, I aborted. I have no idea why I did that or if I would have gotten it, but wasn't thrilled with my effort. I think it was a combination of being a little whipped, nerves, and just a lapse in concentration. I still hit my goal for this meet and am looking forward to my first full meet March 31.

Here are Carl Donati's benches and my pulls (just the successful ones. I can't stand reliving the 512.5 failure anymore (watched it 20 times already kicking myself). HAHA

Congrats!

...getting on the platform and putting it on the line! :mosher

How was the adrenaline pump? There was nothing like it training and the best part of when I competed. It was a nice "kicker".

Congrats!

...getting on the platform and putting it on the line! :mosher

How was the adrenaline pump? There was nothing like it training and the best part of when I competed. It was a nice "kicker".

It was awesome for my first two lifts. But for some reason it kind of went away after I hit my 2nd. I probably burned it all up worrying the whole day before my attempts. HAHA But that is by far the lightest 450 and 500+ have ever felt. The first trip up to the platform I felt like I was floating. HAHA

Mike, great lifting, your form looked really crisp - better even than in your training videos.

POST YOUR MISSED LIFT!! There are a lot of guys here on the board who might be able to see what, if anything, you might have done wrong on your 3rd attempt and help you correct the problem.

Great lifting Mike, forget that third lift with more experience you will figure out how to focus in better. There is a lot going on at a meet and going up to the platform sometimes it is hard to grind out a lift, it will come with doing more competitions.

Congrats! It's always good getting the first one out of the way and those were some good lifts.

I know what you mean about meets being draining though. If I'm lifting in the afternoon I usually don't show up early, just because handling other lifters and the atmosphere itself at a meet can be draining.

Congratulations, Mike! I saw your three attempts last night. Yeah, it certainly looked like you were simply drained when the third attempt rolled around. Had you attempted your third as your second it would have floated up.

I've always taken only two attempts on deadlifts. I will typically open with about 33 pounds less than my goal weight. If the opener feels right I go for broke on my second attempt. If it feels a bit heavy I will adjust accordingly. 33 pounds less than my goal is light enough so as to not wear me out, yet heavy enough to be able to gauge my abilities on that day. With the heavier weights I've never been good for more than one pull with weights near my max. Of course with squats and deadlifts it's a different story. Not suggesting you adopt my unorthodox approach, just rambling on. Lol.

Mike, great lifting, your form looked really crisp - better even than in your training videos.

POST YOUR MISSED LIFT!! There are a lot of guys here on the board who might be able to see what, if anything, you might have done wrong on your 3rd attempt and help you correct the problem.

Looked really good, congrats Mike!

For your third you probably have been to drained physically or mentally, happens.

My "shortest" lifting day (just DL) began with arriving at 8:00 after a 90 min drive (one of our lifters had to weigh in before 8:30). I checked my weight at 8:33 - 125,1kg.

After some coaching my weigh in started at 15:30 - 122,4kg and that without trying to get any lighter, just one trip to the toilet would have been sufficient. So I was somewhat dehydrated, lost a little strength, quite drained hours before the start of my group at 20:35... what a short day. Ended with a comp best of 282,5kg (with DL suit). A little icing on the cake, I won my class without knowing before my teammates came up to me to congratulate, had no clue what my competitors did. For staying humble, the afore mentioned "early" lifter did 315kg at 115kg bw and age 52... with the same suit (I used his suit).

So things will happen, we just have to make the best of it (especially enjoying the whole experience).

After this decent first outing enjoy your trip to your march meet and may the best Mike R. win! ;)

Thanks so much for all your support guys. Here's a vid that has all 3 of my attempts on it, including the miss. Different angle on the first two. After watching my miss over and over, I really think I just flaked mentally. It should have gone. I'm usually only good for one near max effort at home, so once 451 came up so easy I probably should have gone a little higher for my 2nd lift, but I wanted to make sure I got 500 on the platform. One thing is for sure, I need to get a singlet with longer legs. That thing was scandalous! HAHAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ypbbr_2SwQ&context=C3d82bc2ADOEgsToPDskJDwSW5yWKAhVugV99DZ0sF

And this was the highlight of the meet for me. 78 years young Sam Contakos raw no/no/no squat of 198lbs.

That was awesome to see that little man still going strong! I hope I still have the piss and vinegar in me at that age to put up some weight!

Yesterday: Bench: Sucked. Nuff said.

Today: Skwats:

Worked up to 2 singles with 380. One just sleeves, one with loose wraps. Left them both high. :x Unracked 430 5 X 5 seconds right before the 380 attempts. Made them feel quite light.

Then did 3X3 ATG with 300. Called it a day there.

And this was the highlight of the meet for me. 78 years young Sam Contakos raw no/no/no squat of 198lbs.

And he buried it - no question about that depth!

• Like 1

Thanks Martin! Another squat session today. Hit 365 for 3 singles in just a belt and knee sleeves. The last one was a bit of a grinder. That's a 10 lb PR with no wraps. Here's my planned opener and 2nd lift for the USAPL Equinox Raw Open on March 31. I used the video of my 3rd single because I was pretty happy I was able to stay focused and grind it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzuZQu-temU

Bench:

Worked up to two misses at 270 paused. Then I did my 2nd workout with the slingshot.

285 X 1

290 X miss (right side failed again)

250 X 7.9 Needed a small nudge to lockout the 8th rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLOp27QwIKo

Good first day pulling again after the comp. Worked up to a 10 lb sumo PR of 460 and then worked up to 430 X 6 conventional. I was beat by the time I got to the 430 and the first rep didnt even feel like it was gonna come up, but I got stronger as I went. Fresh I think I'm good for 7 or 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rao1jx4r_X8

Squat day. Belt and cheap knee wraps.

Worked up to 370 and 380. I'm having trouble figuring out where deep enough is with wraps. I will just need to use them more. The 370 was close but the 380 was definitely high. But all in all a good day. 380 is the most I've ever squatted to any depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbAmFxkgrFE

Front squats again. Used the straps to hold on to the bar with more of an oly stance. Worked well. Got 285 and even racked it without breaking anything. HAHA

My hips felt really loose after those so I decided to pull.

Worked up to a very tough 470 X 4. Squatting Sunday, followed by front squats yesterday and today made for not the freshest old man, but they went. The plates are 16" diameter so I was pulling from about a 1" deficit with a very stiff 30MM York squat bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHirKctGS7A