Getting Ready For My First Pl Meet: Would These Lifts Pass?

Mike Rinderle

Thanks Scott! I'll take all the advice i can get! :) I'll try to key in on those next squat session. I feel like if i could stay more upright, I'm good strength wise for at least another 20 lbs or so. Thanks again and I will report back.

Wasn't pretty, but it went. Camera wasn't flat so it's tough to tell on depth. I think it was deep enough, but I'd like to sink them at least another inch. This is an all time PR for me by 5 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7RbWg8Ghnw

Power and tenacity brother you are on fire! Keep up the great training and vids you motivate us all especially me.,.

Last ME pulling session before my pull only meet on Feb. 11. Weights felt light today. Left a little in the tank, but I wanted to make sure I hit this for confidence. Pretty sure I could have doubled this if I had to. At least good for 5 or 10 lbs more today. This is 5lb off my all time PR. Plan is to open with 450, go for 500 on my second attempt, and have a 3rd attempt if something goes wrong with the 500 pull or hopefully an attempt at whatever I need to reach the podium in my age division.

505 lb (229 KG) in singlet, shoes, and the bar (stiff 30mm squat bar) at exactly 8 7/8":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthylFyJlIU

Looked strong and surely a bit more in the tank! I wish you all the best on your upcoming meet, you have worked hard for this and deserve a hard fought victory!!!

Last ME pulling session before my pull only meet on Feb. 11. Weights felt light today. Left a little in the tank, but I wanted to make sure I hit this for confidence. Pretty sure I could have doubled this if I had to. At least good for 5 or 10 lbs more today. This is 5lb off my all time PR. Plan is to open with 450, go for 500 on my second attempt, and have a 3rd attempt if something goes wrong with the 500 pull or hopefully an attempt at whatever I need to reach the podium in my age division.

505 lb (229 KG) in singlet, shoes, and the bar (stiff 30mm squat bar) at exactly 8 7/8":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthylFyJlIU

If nervousness doesn't cause you to forget to wait for the "down" signal you'll see three white lights! Cool! Enjoy your comp and get your PR!

Very nice pull, Mike!

By the way, were you wearing running shoes?

You gotta get some tan on those chiken legs of yours - the glare was killing me! :wub: Good lifting and Good Luck at the comp!

You gotta get some tan on those chiken legs of yours - the glare was killing me! :wub: Good lifting and Good Luck at the comp!

I beg your pardon sir. Those are very sexy gams! :laugh :laugh The white was intensified by the fact that I used talc on my legs for the first time. I was amazed how much smoother the bar slides up during the second half of the lift.

Very nice pull, Mike!

By the way, were you wearing running shoes?

Thanks Eric! Those are Merell Trail Gloves. Minimalist sole. Less than my chuck taylors have.

Very nice! Looks like you have a solid plan as well, nothing left but to get it done and have fun!

Thanks! That's the plan. Going to learn as much as i can and have a good time. Win or lose, I will have a good time. But I know once I hit the platform, I'll be fighting with everything to beat somebody. Anybody. :laugh :laugh

If nervousness doesn't cause you to forget to wait for the "down" signal you'll see three white lights! Cool! Enjoy your comp and get your PR!

Thanks! One thing I do forget to do from time to time when I'm pumped for a big pull is lock my knees. I will have two people there to scream "KNEES!!!" as I approach lockout for all 3 lifts. :blush :blush :laugh

I really appreciate all the support and advice from everyone. It means a lot!

Was able to keep my chest high and everything solid with 315 today (which felt really light), so I went for 355, which is a 10 lb PR. I look down for a split second out of the hole and that caved me. Have to remember to drive back with my neck and keep my head up. Almost got stuck, but it went. Depth is right at parallel. I really need to get at least an inch deeper to make sure these pass.

End of the day, it was ugly, but it went for a 10 lb PR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8zSZ2nqwc0

Last heavy squat day before my pull only meet on Feb. 11. Really working on keeping the chest high and getting better at it. Weights felt light today, so I went for 365 and got it. Put very loose wraps on over my knee sleeves for the 365. By loose, I mean I could still bend my knees and they weren't pulled tight so I just got a little more compression for confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6g72bfOG4

Yesterday I hit speed bench and worked up to 305 on 3 board press.

Last heavy squat day before my pull only meet on Feb. 11. Really working on keeping the chest high and getting better at it. Weights felt light today, so I went for 365 and got it. Put very loose wraps on over my knee sleeves for the 365. By loose, I mean I could still bend my knees and they weren't pulled tight so I just got a little more compression for confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6g72bfOG4

Yesterday I hit speed bench and worked up to 305 on 3 board press.

Hi Mike,

something that didn't catch my eye before is your forward/high bar placement during the squat, on top of the traps. For a weightlifters squat normal, unusual for a powerlifter.

As a PLer it's helpful to shorten the lever from BB to hip joint in order to somewhat decrease the torque (around the hip joint, forward) so more weight can be moved. For example I carry the BB directly on top of the rear Deltoid head when I squat, which is roughly the height most PLers place the bar. (There is obviously a limit for placing the bar lower/more to the back from an anatomical point of view as well as in the rules.)

This may be something to incorporate for your powersquats in future preparations, for your upcoming comps it might be a little late, as most lifters need quite a bit of time to adapt. In case you convert to a low bar squat it doesn't mean you need to discard the high bar squat, each has it's place (like TNS, CCS, parallel set,...).

For next week I hope you'll come out of the meet loking like this: :D

Thanks Hendrik, I will try it out. I think I migrated to more of a higher bar placement because of shoulder flexibility. I will work in both variations though and see how it goes. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Slightly wider than shoulder width on my squat stance Martin.

Wasn't going to go heavy yesterday, but 325 felt really light so I loaded up 375 and got it. Not counting it as a PR though because I left it a little high. But it felt good and next time I'll sink it one more inch for legal depth.

Ok! For a real effecient squat I would like to get the bar a bit lower, just as Hendrik said. Fix your flexibility issues asap! While you're holding the bar, go under it, pinch your shoulder blades together really hard, push up your chest and you should find a good spot/"shelf" to place the bar on, which hopefully is around where Hendrik said.

About assistance exercises, one of my favourite exercies is pause squats, well it's the only assistance I do that resembles regular squatting. I know it's very popular with box squats in USA, but it's very uncommon that I hear anything about pause squats from you guys :)

Will do Martin! I appreciate the advice!

Bench night tonight. Worked up to 265 for a paused single. Then I tried out the new Maddog Sling Shot. Not comfortable enough with it to load up for any big singles, but I really liked the way it let me totally fry my tris way past where normal raw benching gets them. I think this will be a great tool for overloading and getting me used to bigger weights.

After my raw bench I hit 265 X 2, 275 X 2 (my beautiful spotter jumped in a little early but it was going), and 225 X 14 with the MDSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H1lldQJ48A

Two days out from meet #1 (pull only). Anything over 500 will be gravy. I like gravy!

• Like 1

Good luck with the meet bro. I am sure that between the contest adrenaline and your hardworking leading to the comp you will do great! Looking forward to the news

Good luck with the meet bro. I am sure that between the contest adrenaline and your hardworking leading to the comp you will do great! Looking forward to the news

• Like 1

Get er done Mike!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Glad I started my new job this week. Hasn't given me any time to be nervous. Strangely, my back seems to be really tight and achy with the light workload .

Congrats on starting up the new job. Hope that relieves some stress so you can concentrate on the upcoming big numbers. :)

Liked the slingshot feedback, glad you are now gainfully employed again my friend!