Strength Goals For My 40th Birthday

Malice

Randall, I received the new IronMind Hub lifting implement in the mail today. Thank you very much for sending that out! It looks good and I will give it a go as soon as I can and give let you know how it goes and my impressions.

Sincerely,

- Aaron Corcorran

Aaron -

Good deal - thanks much for letting me know it arrived safe and sound.

I'll stay tuned for your comments.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• acorn

• Randall Strossen

• macaz

Randall, I gave it a quick try while I was home for lunch today to get initial impressions. Did not have time for a full workout or warmup so this was done cold.

First impresssions, I like the new coating much better than the old one I had. Its almost like a slight crinkle finish and seems to take chalk. I think it will have a consistent friction to it which is really all that I would hope for in a pinching surface. I wiped a bit of chalk on it and my fingertips for the attempts and started light and did maybe 4 or 5 lifts up to where I failed. Final lift was around 57# with a miss at 60#. I think I can go over 60 without issue during a full training session and maybe closer to 70# with some normal chalk seasoning. Its still a fair amount slicker than a regular cast plate but a great improvement in my opinion. Also my old one had a burr on the inside edge which sliced me good on at least one failed attempt when the implement popped out. This one is deburred much better on the inside. I'll let you know what I get to with a full workout, etc and once again thank you for shipping it out for me to test.

- Aaron

Randall, I gave it a quick try while I was home for lunch today to get initial impressions. Did not have time for a full workout or warmup so this was done cold.

First impresssions, I like the new coating much better than the old one I had. Its almost like a slight crinkle finish and seems to take chalk. I think it will have a consistent friction to it which is really all that I would hope for in a pinching surface. I wiped a bit of chalk on it and my fingertips for the attempts and started light and did maybe 4 or 5 lifts up to where I failed. Final lift was around 57# with a miss at 60#. I think I can go over 60 without issue during a full training session and maybe closer to 70# with some normal chalk seasoning. Its still a fair amount slicker than a regular cast plate but a great improvement in my opinion. Also my old one had a burr on the inside edge which sliced me good on at least one failed attempt when the implement popped out. This one is deburred much better on the inside. I'll let you know what I get to with a full workout, etc and once again thank you for shipping it out for me to test.

- Aaron

Aaron -

Super - thanks much for this quick test, and for what it's worth, you've got the unofficial record based on the numbers I've heard.

IronMind's goal on this finish was to have the durability and consistency of the last generation, but with a texture/feeling more like a regular plate (at least when it was new).

Really sorry about your finger—who says you can't draw blood training grip, huh?!

I pulled 360# DO Axle deads today so I upped my one rep max by another 10 lbs. and am now 40 below my goal of 4hundo on my 40th Bday. 360 felt about my max grip wise right now and I'd like to add another 5 lbs. by the end of the year so I'll be hitting thick bar and FatGripz pretty hard the next few weeks to try to get another good pull the last week of December.

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400-360

-#4 MMS close-just past parallel

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla-27.5 lbs. on the deloader

Few updates from this mornings workout. Zac came over and trained with me and we had a nice training session outside in the moist freezing weather. Was interesting doing 2HP at that temp especially since my Euro had been in the unheated storage unit last night and chalk was wet from the rain. A bit of fresh chalk dried that up but it was still pretty cold outside with ice on the ground. I upped my hub lift on the new IM hub as well to above 60. I was pretty sure that would happen with a full workout and good warmup. I checked it against the Gibson plate and it is the same diamter hub but not quite as deep as the Gibsons hub. Very good pinch workout despite the conditions for both of us.

Bench 275x5

2HP Euro 235x1

New IM Hub 62.5#

- Aaron

Didn't you very recently said you haven't benched in 18 months??? And you can do 275x5..... lol. That's nice.

Didn't you very recently said you haven't benched in 18 months??? And you can do 275x5..... lol. That's nice.

Yep, apparently I still keep a fairly decent baseline strength level on that exercise even without bending or anything that works any of those muscles in my training.

- Aaron

Rep goals (body weight 100kg)

-squat bw x40-100 kg x 27

-bench bw x40 100 kg x 34

-deadlift bw x40-225x25

-#2.5 MMS x40-2 and #2 CCS x40-16

Some new updates on my totals. I think all this squating and deadlifts are helping my bench!

Just wanted to double check....i'm not using straps on the deadlifts and its a double over hand?

Yep, apparently I still keep a fairly decent baseline strength level on that exercise even without bending or anything that works any of those muscles in my training.

- Aaron

Please let us know how many reps you get with 315.... after an 18 month bench-free period. LOL. You're so strong it's actually funny. By the way I really like the cleans and presses with the Pinch-barbell.

• 2 weeks later...

- Aaron

Please let us know how many reps you get with 315.... after an 18 month bench-free period. LOL. You're so strong it's actually funny. By the way I really like the cleans and presses with the Pinch-barbell.

I might be able to get a single or double with that right now. I'm gonna take it slow and easy on this one. I seem to injure a hell of a lot easier anymore.

Recently I have bumped up the bench to 6x275 and I pinch cleaned 174# tonight on the Saxon. Will post vid later after I have time to process it.

-Aaron

I decided to try for one last PR this year and went for deadlifts with 225 and got 26 which is 6 more than last time. I pretty much just gave up at 26 because mentally and cardio wise that's all I had in me today. I really need to start hitting S&C hard to improve my conditioning because that's my weakest point right now. Here's the video for the deads today and following that is the update of my goals vs. my current status toward those goals.

1 rep goals/current

-squat 400-412

-bench 400-?

-axle deadlift 400-360

-#4 MMS close-just below parallel

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla (half of a 130 lb. York Legacy dumbell)-27.5 lbs. on deloader

-bend a red nail reverse in IMP's-5.5" blue nail +5.5" 1/8" taped

40 rep goals/current

-squat bw x40-25

-bench bw x40-?

-deadlift bw x40-26

-#2.5 MMSx40-21 and/or #2 CCSx40-27

-double blob farmers walk 40 feet-10 feet

-bend 40x60D nails reverse in IMP's-5

Here's another update after my last workout of 2011 on December 31st. I managed to get all 40 reps @135 on bench...finally.

1 rep goals/current

-squat 400-412

-bench 400-?

-axle deadlift 400-360

-#4 MMS close-just below parallel

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla (half of a 130 lb. York Legacy dumbell)-27.5 lbs. on deloader

-bend a red nail reverse in IMP's-5.5" blue nail +5.5" 1/8" taped

40 rep goals/current

-squat bw x40-25

-bench bw x40-135x40

-deadlift bw x40-26

-#2.5 MMSx40-21 and/or #2 CCSx40-27

-double blob farmers walk 40 feet-10 feet

-bend 40x60D nails reverse in IMP's-5

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nice last couple of sessions on Bench and decided to get some updates to the total list. Last 2 sessions were 8x275 and 3x315 for top sets respectively. Just touch and go. Updates to the original list in red.

I'll Join you on this buddy. I got about 2years to go before I hit 40.

get down to 230 BW

40x BW squat

30x 225 Bench

425x1 Axle DL

450x1 DO Oly DL

405x1 Bench

275x1 Standing Press

225x1 Snatch

275x1 Saxon Bar Pinch DL

275x1 Euro 2HP

#4 gripper close again

240# x1 1H Axle DL

180+ Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch

205+ Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press

Bend Red equivalent Reverse

Bend 6x3/8 HRS again

#3 Gripper x30

MM6

Plate Curl 35# Bumper for reps, 45# plate for reps

100# Hub lift

130# 1HP on Saxon Bar

My currents

254.5 BW

Squat 225x18

Bench 8x275, 3x315

Axle DL 367x1

DO Oly DL 1x360

Standing Press 185x3

Snatch 2x165

Saxon 2HP DL 260x1

Euro 2HP 242x1

Gripper BBE x 1 (170#)

1H Axle DL 213 to Just below knees

Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch 137x1

Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press 175x1

Reverse Bend, maybe a 60d currently

DO Bend, no idea its been months since I bent anything

Gripper reps - #3x6, #2x20

MM gripper - Done MM5, but got a long way to go to get MM6

Plate curl, Have gotten a 35# Bumper x 1 a handful of times in the last couple months although I missed it last time I tried.

Hub lift - 1x 85

1HP Saxon bar - Got 120 a little while back and got 130 to knees RH, Got 110 LH

Thanks Rich, I feel like I should be doing more already. Strength just doesn't come back up as quick as it used to.

Here was some footage I shot today during the lunchtime workout. Note the black dress socks and flip flops. Serious fashion statement there.

-Aaron

Actualy the black socks worked with the black shorts and arm wraps. Two snaps up for you :grin:

Here is my update for January!!!

Squats 100kg x 40...31

Bench press 100kg x 40... 36

DO Dead lift 100kg x 40... 26

Hope the year of the dragon is too to us all!!!

• 1 month later...

wow, i am happy to find this thread. many of you will be turning 40 about the same time as me. before i found this thread, i set one goal for myself. 500# deadlift by the time i hit 40 in august of 2013. i am at 385 now at 170 bw. i am kinda new to the deadlift but am loving it. i am kinda using the conjugate method in the pursuit. doing heaving stuff and speed stuff on many different big movements.

today, i worked up to a 275# snatch grip deadlift outside the knurling. hope to hit 285# next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a push/pull meet yesterday and have some updates. Updates to the original list in red. "*" means that it was done in the meet. Video from bench in the meet:

I'll Join you on this buddy. I got about 2years to go before I hit 40.

get down to 230 BW

40x BW squat

30x 225 Bench

425x1 Axle DL

450x1 DO Oly DL

405x1 Bench

275x1 Standing Press

225x1 Snatch

275x1 Saxon Bar Pinch DL

275x1 Euro 2HP

#4 gripper close again

240# x1 1H Axle DL

180+ Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch

205+ Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press

Bend Red equivalent Reverse

Bend 6x3/8 HRS again

#3 Gripper x30

MM6

Plate Curl 35# Bumper for reps, 45# plate for reps

100# Hub lift

130# 1HP on Saxon Bar

My currents

258.5 BW

Squat 225x18

Bench 1x375 *

Bench for Reps 225x20

Axle DL 375x1

DO Oly DL 1x425 *

Standing Press 185x3

Snatch 2x165

Saxon 2HP DL 273x1

Euro 2HP 251x1

Gripper IM #3.5 (180)

1H Axle DL 213 to Just below knees

Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch 137x1

Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press 175x1

Reverse Bend, 6"x1/4 G5

DO Bend, no idea its been months since I bent anything

Gripper reps - Easy #3x 25

MM gripper - Done MM5, but got a long way to go to get MM6

Plate curl, Have gotten a 35# Bumper x 1 a handful of times in the last couple months although I missed it last time I tried.

Hub lift - 1x 85

1HP Saxon bar - Got 120 a little while back and got 130 to knees RH, Got 110 LH

Edited by acorn