Strength Goals For My 40th Birthday

Malice

Edits on some of the currents

I'll Join you on this buddy. I got about 2years to go before I hit 40.

get down to 230 BW

40x BW squat

30x 225 Bench

425x1 Axle DL

450x1 DO Oly DL

405x1 Bench

275x1 Standing Press

225x1 Snatch

275x1 Saxon Bar Pinch DL

275x1 Euro 2HP

#4 gripper close again

240# x1 1H Axle DL

180+ Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch

205+ Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press

Bend Red equivalent Reverse

Bend 6x3/8 HRS again

#3 Gripper x30

MM6

Plate Curl 35# Bumper for reps, 45# plate for reps

100# Hub lift

130# 1HP on Saxon Bar

My currents

255.5 BW

Squat 185x16 - Now 195x22

Bench, No idea haven't benched in at least 18months or more - Now 225x8

Axle DL 345x1

DO Oly DL 345x2

Standing Press 185x2 - Now 185x3

Snatch, No idea its been many years

Saxon 2HP DL 260x1 - Now close miss at 270#

Euro 2HP 240x1 (Only pulled a couple times since Feb)

Gripper #3.5x1 (169#)

1H Axle DL, No current idea - Now 195x1

Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch 137x1

Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press 170x1

Reverse Bend, maybe a 60d currently

DO Bend, no idea its been months since I bent anything

Gripper reps - #3x6, #2x20

MM gripper - Done MM5, but got a long way to go to get MM6

Plate curl, Have gotten a 35# Bumper x 1 a handful of times in the last couple months although I missed it last time I tried.

Hub lift - Been close to a year since I did one so no idea of current - Now 80#

1HP Saxon bar - Got 120 a little while back and got 130 to knees RH, Got 110 LH

Anyway that's where I am right now. I've been fighting some health issues which have pulled my strength down a bit but planning for some good forward movement again back towards some solid goals. Will be logging the workouts on my blog as usual.

- Aaron

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• acorn

• Randall Strossen

• macaz

Upped a few of my currents as of today. Little closer.

Squats 18x207#

Bench 12x225#

Gripper BBE x 1 (170#)

1H Saxon bar Pinch 135# broke off ground a few inches RH

DO Oly DL 2 x 352#

My new Bumpers should be coming in on Thurs and I should be able to test the cleans and snatchs within the next week or 2 as well as the the plate curl.

- Aaron

Here are my most current updates:

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400-340

-#4 MMS close-just past parallel

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla-27.5 lbs. on the deloader

Rep goals

-squat bw x40

-bench bw x40

-deadlift bw x40-225x20

-#2.5 MMS x40-21 and #2 CCS x40-27

-double blob farmers walk 40 feet-10 feet

I should have an update on squats with 225x max reps later this week on squat day. I won't do bench for a while until my left shoulder is completely healed. I won't be able to get a max for deads of bench until I get back to the gym since my power rack is supposedly only good for up to 300 lbs. and I'm going to wait until the shoulder is completely healed before bench or stacking a bunch of weight on my shoulders for heavy squats.

Here are my most current updates as of 11/17/11

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400-340

Rep goals

-squat bw x40-225x25

-bench bw x40

-deadlift bw x40-225x20

Here are my most current updates as of 11/23/11

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400-350

Rep goals

-squat bw x40-225x25

-bench bw x40

-deadlift bw x40-225x20

Rep goals (body weight 100kg)

-squat bw x40-100 kg x 25

-bench bw x40 100 kg x 33

-deadlift bw x40-225x25

-#2.5 MMS x40-2 and #2 CCS x40-14

I've been watching this topic for awhile, thought i would jump into the mix!

Squats have been painful at first but i will see some good progress in the next months.

Bench started off at 24, i have been adding 1 - 2 reps each week (one high rep day, one heavy day per week)

Deadlifts are soso...

Now the grippers i only have a filed #3 so i think my number would be closer to 20...but you use what you have

The 2.5 MMS is a dream goal at 40, but something to shoot for!

Good luck everyone from Shanghai China!

Mark

Should read filed #2

Rep goals (body weight 100kg)

-squat bw x40-100 kg x 25

-bench bw x40 100 kg x 33

-deadlift bw x40-225x25

-#2.5 MMS x40-2 and #2 CCS x40-14

I've been watching this topic for awhile, thought i would jump into the mix!

Squats have been painful at first but i will see some good progress in the next months.

Bench started off at 24, i have been adding 1 - 2 reps each week (one high rep day, one heavy day per week)

Deadlifts are soso...

Now the grippers i only have a filed #3 so i think my number would be closer to 20...but you use what you have

The 2.5 MMS is a dream goal at 40, but something to shoot for!

Good luck everyone from Shanghai China!

Mark

Should read filed #2

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to following your progress!

Aaron -

I'm curious about the details on the Hub, too, but unless you've got tacky on your fingers, 100 lb. sounds pretty much off the charts to me—hope you can nail all these goals and then some.

Aaron, what kind of hub device/plates for the 80 lb lift?

Hbgzr

It was an old Gibson 45# plate with 5# and 2 1/2# plates stacked on top.

Aaron -

I'm curious about the details on the Hub, too, but unless you've got tacky on your fingers, 100 lb. sounds pretty much off the charts to me—hope you can nail all these goals and then some.

No tacky, just a strong pinch on a very good/easy hub. Its a Gibson 45# plate, very deep dish and pretty small diameter for a 2" oly hole. It has a bit of texture as well. I've done 85# on it in the past with plates added and have nearly locked out 90# a few times only to have the plate pile slide on me each time. I have more smaller plates now though and will likely rig something up to attach another 45# plate to the bottom. Based on contest performances and training lifts I am usually right up there with the top few guys in the pinch feats hubbing included.

- Aaron

Aaron, what kind of hub device/plates for the 80 lb lift?

Hbgzr

It was an old Gibson 45# plate with 5# and 2 1/2# plates stacked on top.

Aaron -

No tacky, just a strong pinch on a very good/easy hub. Its a Gibson 45# plate, very deep dish and pretty small diameter for a 2" oly hole. It has a bit of texture as well. I've done 85# on it in the past with plates added and have nearly locked out 90# a few times only to have the plate pile slide on me each time. I have more smaller plates now though and will likely rig something up to attach another 45# plate to the bottom. Based on contest performances and training lifts I am usually right up there with the top few guys in the pinch feats hubbing included.

- Aaron

Aaron -

Thanks much—sounds impressive to me.

We just did a refresh on the IronMind Hub and it's a core movement in a new grip challenge we've started. Wonder if you might be able to set the high-water mark on this lift?

If you'd like to try one out, I'll send you one with our compliments and you can either post/email me how you did and what you think of it.

Randall, thank you for the offer. I would be will to try it out and give you some feedback on the results. I used to have one of the IM hubs from a few years ago but didn't care for the finish on it. I couldnt hook up on the surface consistently for consistent pulls even through a workout so I ended up giving it away. It was just a little too slick for my tastes and I ended up using plates instead. I'm glad to hear its been refreshed and look forward to giving it a go.

Thanks,

- Aaron

Randall, thank you for the offer. I would be will to try it out and give you some feedback on the results. I used to have one of the IM hubs from a few years ago but didn't care for the finish on it. I couldnt hook up on the surface consistently for consistent pulls even through a workout so I ended up giving it away. It was just a little too slick for my tastes and I ended up using plates instead. I'm glad to hear its been refreshed and look forward to giving it a go.

Thanks,

- Aaron

Aaron -

We'll send one to you—you might not like this one either, but at least it won't cost you anything to give it a try! Either way, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Good luck chasing down those PRs—at 40, I could still clean and jerk 140 kg, at 50 that started to sound more like a deadlift to me than a clean and jerk, and now at 60, well . . . I plan to at least squat 300 lb. for 20 some time this year.

Thanks,

- Aaron

Aaron -

We'll send one to you—you might not like this one either, but at least it won't cost you anything to give it a try! Either way, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Good luck chasing down those PRs—at 40, I could still clean and jerk 140 kg, at 50 that started to sound more like a deadlift to me than a clean and jerk, and now at 60, well . . . I plan to at least squat 300 lb. for 20 some time this year.

Randall - 300 for 20 at 60 year old is nothing to sneeze at - pretty darn good squatting at any age for normal people. Good Luck!

At 40 my goal was to climb Denali. I only have a few goals right now. I want to complete my 65 by 65 list and the big one for me is to dead lift the Inch DB - I've been thinking about adding two forty fives deep dish pinch in there as well but we'll see how the Inch goes first.

Thanks,

- Aaron

Aaron -

Randall - 300 for 20 at 60 year old is nothing to sneeze at - pretty darn good squatting at any age for normal people. Good Luck!

At 40 my goal was to climb Denali. I only have a few goals right now. I want to complete my 65 by 65 list and the big one for me is to dead lift the Inch DB - I've been thinking about adding two forty fives deep dish pinch in there as well but we'll see how the Inch goes first.

Did you climb Denali? The other day, I read that George Lowe (he's 67) is still climbing and with the new shoes and other stuff, he thinks he could climb stuff as tough as when he was a young guy.

40 is a great age . . . I'm trying to get psyched up, thinking 70 is something to look forward to!

Thanks,

- Aaron

Aaron -

Did you climb Denali? The other day, I read that George Lowe (he's 67) is still climbing and with the new shoes and other stuff, he thinks he could climb stuff as tough as when he was a young guy.

40 is a great age . . . I'm trying to get psyched up, thinking 70 is something to look forward to!

Yes Randall I climbed Denali in 1990 - I did the traverse - up the West Buttress - over and down the Muldrow Glacier route - hiked out across the tundra and crossed the river to Wonder Lake. Caught the bus and out through the park - it was a fantastic experience. And yes the shoes today are great - but I never climbed without sticky rubber so I can't do as well today as I did in years past. But I think that's more because of the 20+ pounds I have gained than anything else since my best climbing days. I'm not really worried about aging - I will just do the best I can and see what happens. If I lift less weight or climb less difficult routes that's OK as long as it's my best effort - it's the journey more than the destination. Just keep showing up is the goal.

Sometimes courage doesn't roar - sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says "I will try again tomorrow".

Chris, I hope to be half as strong as you are when I hit your age! More likely will be pretty banged up by then though.

Couple of updates.

Bench 225x15 - today.

Squat 210x22 - last week, 220x15 today - quick coming on migrain shut me down for more.

- Aaron

Chris, I hope to be half as strong as you are when I hit your age! More likely will be pretty banged up by then though.

Couple of updates.

Bench 225x15 - today.

Squat 210x22 - last week, 220x15 today - quick coming on migrain shut me down for more.

- Aaron

Great stuff Aaron! Seeing your bench progress really makes me wish my shoulder would heal up so I can start benching too.

Thanks,

- Aaron

Aaron -

Yes Randall I climbed Denali in 1990 - I did the traverse - up the West Buttress - over and down the Muldrow Glacier route - hiked out across the tundra and crossed the river to Wonder Lake. Caught the bus and out through the park - it was a fantastic experience. And yes the shoes today are great - but I never climbed without sticky rubber so I can't do as well today as I did in years past. But I think that's more because of the 20+ pounds I have gained than anything else since my best climbing days. I'm not really worried about aging - I will just do the best I can and see what happens. If I lift less weight or climb less difficult routes that's OK as long as it's my best effort - it's the journey more than the destination. Just keep showing up is the goal.

Sometimes courage doesn't roar - sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says "I will try again tomorrow".

Sounds a super trip—glad you were able to do this.

Speaking of pre-sticky-rubber climbing shoes, the thing I remember most about EBs was how much they hurt if you fit them for maximum performance—some years ago, a Buffalo Bar fell on my foot, resulting in having the nails come off both big toes. I'd been there before as I'd had the same thing happen after keeping a pair of EBs on too long once in Yosemite.

You have a great attitude about aging and you're probably right about the 20 lb, but I'd guess your legs might not have been too strong when you were at the top of your climbing game, so everything involves tradeoffs.

Got a few more updated numbers from today. Really got to work on my flexibility for the Oly stuff. Can only rack a clean or snatch with slight knee bend anymore and Can't do a front squat or Overhead squat without dumping. I got some video of the 231 clean and the failed 255 for form analysis and will post it on the blog later if I can stand to look at it.

BW 255

Power Clean

1x231, close miss at 255

Power Snatch

2x165

DO Oly DL

1x367

- Aaron

Randall, I received the new IronMind Hub lifting implement in the mail today. Thank you very much for sending that out! It looks good and I will give it a go as soon as I can and give let you know how it goes and my impressions.

Sincerely,

- Aaron Corcorran

40X 100kg (bodyweight) in the bench, squat and deadlift...

For the last 2 months i have been concentrating of bring my reps up to 40 (33 bench, 27 squat, 25 deadlift currently), but i think i'm ready to switch it up a little and start doing 40 reps of...75-85kg and start moving the weight up to 100kg...Is there anyone else using this route to hit their goals?

40X 100kg (bodyweight) in the bench, squat and deadlift...

For the last 2 months i have been concentrating of bring my reps up to 40 (33 bench, 27 squat, 25 deadlift currently), but i think i'm ready to switch it up a little and start doing 40 reps of...75-85kg and start moving the weight up to 100kg...Is there anyone else using this route to hit their goals?

I've done that in the past mainly with 20 rep squats but right now I'm using 225 (my goal weight) and doing as many sets as necessary to get all 40 reps in. Eventually I should (hopefully) be able to get them all in one set. Nothing says that eventually I won't switch to what you're doing again though.