Strength Goals For My 40th Birthday

Malice

I'm 38 right now and my bday is in June so I have just over a year and a half until I turn 40. I have some strength goals; both 1 rep and 40 reps, that I want to achieve by and get on video ON my 40th bday. The only issue I see is possibly the bench goals due to current shoulder issues but if I can keep that at bay I think I can make all of these goals.

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400

-#4 MMS close

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla

Rep goals

-squat bw x40

-bench bw x40

-deadlift bw x40

-#2.5 MMSx40 and #2 CCSx40

-double blob farmers walk 40 feet

It says bodyweight on the reps goals because whatever my bodyweight is I'll round up to the nearest 5 lbs. I'll be using 225 to train reps because I'll weigh that much at most and most likely a bit less. The reason I choose 40 reps is because I'll be 40 years old :)

I'll get baselines on all these lifts over the next couple weeks and post them up here. Bench might take a while to do depending on how the shoulder feels. I'll also update here with progress on each of these goals.

If anyone else has any goals they want to reach by a particular date feel free to use this thread to post and update them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malice

• acorn

• Randall Strossen

• macaz

Oh yeah, I'll add some bending goals here too but haven't figured out exactly what they'll be yet.

Some serious goals there - Good Luck to you!

Great idea here. I’m the same age minus two months so I have been thinking about this kind of stuff too. I think Kinney was our age when went nuts with the grippers which has made me feel better because I was wondering if I’m too damn old to go up to a high MM level.

Benching 225 40 times is way up there. A lot of people use 225 reps as a mark instead of a max because its safer (I’m sure you knew this). Have you ever tried it before? In college I got up to 19. A swimmer friend of mine hit 20 because he had crazy endurance. Couldn’t bench as much for a max but he could really crank out the reps.

Good luck on getting as many as possible. I think some will be quickly reached.

Oh were do you get Blobzilla? what is it?

Great idea here. I’m the same age minus two months so I have been thinking about this kind of stuff too. I think Kinney was our age when went nuts with the grippers which has made me feel better because I was wondering if I’m too damn old to go up to a high MM level.

Benching 225 40 times is way up there. A lot of people use 225 reps as a mark instead of a max because its safer (I’m sure you knew this). Have you ever tried it before? In college I got up to 19. A swimmer friend of mine hit 20 because he had crazy endurance. Couldn’t bench as much for a max but he could really crank out the reps.

Good luck on getting as many as possible. I think some will be quickly reached.

Oh were do you get Blobzilla? what is it?

I don't remember the exact number(s) but I've hit high 20's@225 several times over the years without ever training for high reps. It's been a while though and I'd probably be lucky to hit the teens now since I haven't been doing any benching at all :). It should start coming back decent though once I start training reps. I won't know for sure where I'm at with bench until my wrist stops hurting cuz I can't do any barbell bench right now. I'll just work db's in the mean time.

BlobZilla is the name I've given to the 65 lb. blobs Daniel and I will very soon have.

I'm 38 right now and my bday is in June so I have just over a year and a half until I turn 40. I have some strength goals; both 1 rep and 40 reps, that I want to achieve by and get on video ON my 40th bday. The only issue I see is possibly the bench goals due to current shoulder issues but if I can keep that at bay I think I can make all of these goals.

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400

-#4 MMS close

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla

Rep goals

-squat bw x40

-bench bw x40

-deadlift bw x40

It says bodyweight on the reps goals because whatever my bodyweight is I'll round up to the nearest 5 lbs. I'll be using 225 to train reps because I'll weigh that much at most and most likely a bit less. The reason I choose 40 reps is because I'll be 40 years old :)

I'll get baselines on all these lifts over the next couple weeks and post them up here. Bench might take a while to do depending on how the shoulder feels. I'll also update here with progress on each of these goals.

If anyone else has any goals they want to reach by a particular date feel free to use this thread to post and update them.

Awesome goals and good luck to ya

Good luck Russ, those look like some fun goals! I'm tempted to try and join you on some of those since I got about 2yrs to go myself.

- Aaron

In two years I'll be on Medicare - I'm just hoping not to drool or dribble too much then.

Good luck Russ, those look like some fun goals! I'm tempted to try and join you on some of those since I got about 2yrs to go myself.

- Aaron

Come on in and join in Aaron!

1 rep goals

-squat 400

-bench 400

-axle deadlift 400

-#4 MMS close

-lift 65 lb. BlobZilla

Rep goals

-squat bw x40

-bench bw x40

-deadlift bw x40

For bending goals I'm going to go for a single red nail reverse, and for endurance 40x60D's reverse...all in IMP's.

How about your lats? Maybe 40 pullups...One + bodyweight pullup?

How about your lats? Maybe 40 pullups...One + bodyweight pullup?

I'll have to experiment with the whole pullup thing cuz it's impossible for me to hit 40+ by then. My main goals were to cover the main lifts since I have goals for them in powerlifting and reaching "elite" in grip but I'll be working the entire body. If I add many more goals for my 40th I'll have to spread it out the entire week instead of on one day. The goal isn't just to achieve these BY then but to get them on video ON my bday so I'll obviously have to exceed these strength levels by then.

Maybe just the bodyweight pull-up and get yourself up to 400 pounds! That would be something!

Or stay at 225 and add 225, Im not sure that would be possible to lift that kinda weight plus body weight so dont stress over it. :happy

Lat work just happens to be my favorite thing. I used to follow that body builder Dorian Yates in the 90s. The guy had a freak of a back.

Too many people neglect the back! There are a lot of guys at my gym that work only chest and arms and have a skinny ass lat spread.

Russ, what's your current 1RM on your Bench and Squat?

Can you currently squat BW x 20?

The reason I ask is I was breaking down your goals into 1 month units and then

coming up with monthly goals.

A year and half seems like a long time to achieve these goals but considering

your list you have a lot of smart, dedicated training to do and hope you don't

get injured.

I wish you the best in your goals!!!

get injured.

Joe, I'm not sure how much I bench currently due to a right shoulder and wrist issue but I can work db's for now so we'll see how the progression goes there. Last time I maxed bench I got 355 with some left in the tank so it's just a matter of how much I lost in the last 8 months.

As for squats and deads I already do more than 4hundo on both so that's not a problem. I've also squatted 315x20 fairly recently so I'm not worried about that either. I just need to go for maxish reps with 225 on squats and deads now.

get injured.

Joe, I'm not sure how much I bench currently due to a right shoulder and wrist issue but I can work db's for now so we'll see how the progression goes there. Last time I maxed bench I got 355 with some left in the tank so it's just a matter of how much I lost in the last 8 months.

As for squats and deads I already do more than 4hundo on both so that's not a problem. I've also squatted 315x20 fairly recently so I'm not worried about that either. I just need to go for maxish reps with 225 on squats and deads now.

WOW! That's impressive Russ!

Great job!!!

One of my goals before my 50th ((2012) B-day is 300 for 20 in the squat. I've done 210 for 20 numerous times

but haven't really set out to achieve 300 x 20 until recently. At my age my body requires more rest than average

so I have to map all my goals out and then proceed. When I see someone's goals I automatically break their goals

down in to smaller units and see if it's reasonable or even possible in the allocated time they give.

With your experience level I can envision you achieving your goals in style and on time!

Again, GREAT job!!!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Thanks Joe. For me, the biggest obstacle to high rep squats (high bar, shoulder width stance) was lower back endurance. Deadlifting and good mornings have been really helping with that issue though. Plus doing high rep squats themselves.

Thanks Joe. For me, the biggest obstacle to high rep squats (high bar, shoulder width stance) was lower back endurance. Deadlifting and good mornings have been really helping with that issue though. Plus doing high rep squats themselves.

What is good mornings?

Nothing like the Atomic Situp I hope!

What is good mornings?

Nothing like the Atomic Situp I hope!

A good morning is where you place the bar on your shoulders just as if you was about to do some back

squats but instead of squatting you bend over by shoving your glutes back (hinging) with your knees slightly flexed

and with lumbar extension. Great for strengthening and developing the lower back (lumbar region). There's several

variations of good mornings but the one I just described is typical and effective.

Hey Malice. Great goals!!!! I had my 40th several months ago and was introduced to the Slingshot for benching. After 26 years of powerlifting, with a few bicycle wrecks mixed, my shoulders are starting to hurt when I bench heavy. But now that the Slingshot is around it has completely gotten rid of any soreness in my joints. I maxed out on my 40th birthday after taking the winter off from lifting. I hit a 345 with the Slingshot on. Just 3 months later I smoked a 450 and just missed 475. I'll be starting up again in December to try and hit that magical 500 on my 41st.

Hey Malice. Great goals!!!! I had my 40th several months ago and was introduced to the Slingshot for benching. After 26 years of powerlifting, with a few bicycle wrecks mixed, my shoulders are starting to hurt when I bench heavy. But now that the Slingshot is around it has completely gotten rid of any soreness in my joints. I maxed out on my 40th birthday after taking the winter off from lifting. I hit a 345 with the Slingshot on. Just 3 months later I smoked a 450 and just missed 475. I'll be starting up again in December to try and hit that magical 500 on my 41st.

Awesome goal! I might look into a slingshot myself since my shoulders have been acht lately.

Here are some updates on some of these goals based on recent workouts.

Goals

Axle deadlift 400

#4 MMS

#2.5 MMS x40

#2 CCS x40

Double blob farmers walk 40 feet

Current

Axle deadlift 340

#4 MMS-below parallel

#2.5 MMS x21 reps

#2 CCS x25 reps

Double blob farmers walk 10 feet

I'll put it here to Russ; pull 405 x 100 in 30 minutes by my 40th (next May).

I'll Join you on this buddy. I got about 2years to go before I hit 40.

get down to 230 BW

40x BW squat

30x 225 Bench

425x1 Axle DL

450x1 DO Oly DL

405x1 Bench

275x1 Standing Press

225x1 Snatch

275x1 Saxon Bar Pinch DL

275x1 Euro 2HP

#4 gripper close again

240# x1 1H Axle DL

180+ Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch

205+ Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press

Bend Red equivalent Reverse

Bend 6x3/8 HRS again

#3 Gripper x30

MM6

Plate Curl 35# Bumper for reps, 45# plate for reps

100# Hub lift

130# 1HP on Saxon Bar

My currents

255.5 BW

Squat 185x16

Bench, No idea haven't benched in at least 18months or more

Axle DL 345x1

DO Oly DL 345x2

Standing Press 185x2

Snatch, No idea its been many years

Saxon 2HP DL 260x1

Euro 2HP 240x1 (Only pulled a couple times since Feb)

Gripper #3.5x1 (169#)

1H Axle DL, No current idea

Saxon Bar Pinch Snatch 135x1

Saxon Bar Pinch Clean & Press 170x1

Reverse Bend, maybe a 60d currently

DO Bend, no idea its been months since I bent anything

Gripper reps - #3x6, #2x20

MM gripper - Done MM5, but got a long way to go to get MM6

Plate curl, Have gotten a 35# Bumper x 1 a handful of times in the last couple months although I missed it last time I tried.

Hub lift - Been close to a year since I did one so no idea of current

1HP Saxon bar - Got 120 a little while back and got 130 to knees RH, Got 110 LH

Anyway that's where I am right now. I've been fighting some health issues which have pulled my strength down a bit but planning for some good forward movement again back towards some solid goals. Will be logging the workouts on my blog as usual.

- Aaron

This should be a fun challenge guys. Great motivator Russ!