Horne Still #1 ?- Euro Pinch

Mikael Siversson

The directions I gave you applied to using a simple digital bathroom style scale for checking the weight (82.5k class) of competitors. Regarding uncertified plates they either need to be weighed on a certified scale (eg at a post office) or weighed on an uncertified, post office type scale that you have calibrated using certified weights. A scale at a post office is calibrated at regular intervals. Commercial grade post office scales can cost up to about $2,000 whereas non-commercial grade post office style scales are much cheaper ($100-200) but typically very accurate as well. However if you use the latter option you need to make sure that they are indeed accurate. The most practical way of doing this is to buy certified competition plates which can of course then be used in a competition (the cost can of course be shared, e.g., one buying the scale, another certified plates etc.). Eleiko's metal PL certified weights for example will typically weigh a few grams above their nominal value. This represents a safety margin applied by Eleiko. The integrity of the organiser doing the calibration means everything and cheating is always going to be a possibility. At one stage I insisted that organisers provided me with the contact details of the postoffice they used for calibration so that I, at least in theory, could check if they had indeed done the calibration at a particular place. In the end I got so much ridicule that I lost interest in grip competitions altogether.

I appreciate your apology.

While I greatly appreciate the directions you gave me in the PMs on the calibration process, I can't say I agree with/understand the certified scale part of the calibration process. You have no proof of what scale they used and medical scales are ok to weigh patients but not accurate enough for plates? What is the process that the Post Office or whomever uses to certify a scale? In otherwords, you can buy a high quality scale but we want a certified scale because it has been checked. So how is it checked? Does the scale auditor have a series of weights in divided increments up to a certain poundage similiar to the eleiko process you laid out for me? I remember them checking our scale for distric wrestling and while I didn't sit there and watch the guy the whole time, the scale went up to 350# and he certainly didn't drag 350# worth of scale weights, in small increments, in.

That is correct.

my understanding is that postal scales are certified by weights and measures on whatever time frame has been decided on. they do a 3 point calibration with certified scale weights. a high, low and mid point are checked.

So since the certified scales are only checked at three points does that make them less accurate than a good scale checked with the Eleiko plate method?

Potentially yes but in reality commercial post office scales are very, very accurate after calibration, which is why they were approved in the first place. It is expensive for scale manufacturers to get their scales approved for commercial use so they can produce high quality non-commercial grade scales quite cheaply.

So since the certified scales are only checked at three points does that make them less accurate than a good scale checked with the Eleiko plate method?

Edited by Mikael Siversson

a 3 point calibration is very accurate. if you were to test at 5, 50 and 100 pounds and came out good then it is almost impossible that the scale would be off at 35#. When I was in charge of testing for the hospitals special functions labs a 3 point cal was the industry standard for blood gas machines. the only issue you would have was if you were weighing something well outside of what was calibrated. however since they know how high and low the scale weighs at that shouldn't even be possible.

This all happened in the past back when I worked at the Post Office - think the old spring scales with a big chart and a needle which moved instead of the electronic scales currently used by the post office. They would come in twice a year with this big wooden box lined in velvet with precise weights from maybe 1 ounce to a few pounds for the smaller postal scale and then a bigger box of heavier weights for use on the parcel or larger type scale. We also had scales with the sliding weight on a bar before that that they sent the weights to us and we adjusted the scale to match the precise weights they sent us to use. I know it was done twice a year back then - no idea how it is done today.

After Jedd's performance today with a bad back, I would be hard pressed to bet against him in any format where 2HP is involved! :mosher All respect to David and his incredible pinch ability, but Jedd is on a different planet right now with his 2HP! All but crippled with a bad back and 120KG came up and was held with authority! :mosher

Sounds like a fantastic result again by Jedd. I don't think anyone questioned his #1 spot in the 2HP but rather whether he would stay ahead of DH if he also recorded a result in the 1HP.

After Jedd's performance today with a bad back, I would be hard pressed to bet against him in any format where 2HP is involved! :mosher All respect to David and his incredible pinch ability, but Jedd is on a different planet right now with his 2HP! All but crippled with a bad back and 120KG came up and was held with authority! :mosher

+1!

I'm not sure it's worth it to hold a 1HP instead of a 2HP in any contest. I must assume this is the feeling of many as 1HP is just not that common, especially in the U.S. One has to consider that the U.S. is large and for just one or two venues in a year to host a 1HP event is almost a waste because even then only a fraction of competitors would be able to record a lift.

Well if you want to be regarded as the undisputed #1 on the Europinch you need to show that you can excell on the 1HP as well. Some people are weak, relatively speaking, in the 1HP (i.e., having strong wrists but relatively weak thumbs). Right now it does take not take that much as neither David nor Pete recorded a result in both hands. In this context it is a combined right and left that would really matter.

I strongly suspect for example that Wade would do extremely well in the 1HP.

+1!

I'm not sure it's worth it to hold a 1HP instead of a 2HP in any contest. I must assume this is the feeling of many as 1HP is just not that common, especially in the U.S. One has to consider that the U.S. is large and for just one or two venues in a year to host a 1HP event is almost a waste because even then only a fraction of competitors would be able to record a lift.

Ill be honest, I dont really think anyone cares. You have baited and baited. But there is no intrest, I cant figure it out but y arnt u shoving this barage down the throats of the guys on Davids board esp when this thread is about him susposidly? Who is it your calling out exactly? Also your last comment really seems like a slap in the face and a total disregard for the new 2hp record that was set yesterday by Jedd Johnson.

Im sorry but I really feel that your up to no good, and for your own reasons I would guess, since this thread really has nothing to do with David H.

Everyone can have fun here, I'm done with this thread.

Well if you want to be regarded as the undisputed #1 on the Europinch you need to show that you can excell on the 1HP as well. Some people are weak, relatively speaking, in the 1HP (i.e., having strong wrists but relatively weak thumbs). Right now it does take not take that much as neither David nor Pete recorded a result in both hands. In this context it is a combined right and left that would really matter.

I strongly suspect for example that Wade would do extremely well in the 1HP.

+1!

After seeing Jedd dominate other 1 hand pinch lifts, I think he would hold his own. His thumb strength is more of a strength than wrist strength from what i have seen training with him. Again, that's not taking anything away from David at all. He is truly great at all pinch movements. But I think Jedd would have built up enough advantage in the 2HP to offset any advantage David would have in the 1HP lifts (if there would be an advantage). But I doubt we will ever know as this probably isn't something that very many people care about contesting.

Jedd just destroyed the 2HP record and we'll see 270#+ at Gripmas so even if he only 1HP 90#; nobody cares. In America, the undisputed pinch champ title will be lucky to even reach USAWA-level popularity. That being said, the board can always use more activity :upsidedwn so this should generate a few pages; The Chad would quickly take David's "undisputed king of pinch" title if he felt like going after it. Who else is doing anything with the old deep dish Yorks?

This thread brings back good old memories of the 'folding' debate. Some simply can not have a factual discussion without resorting to more-or-less direct insults when they run out of arguments. It does not work on me though. At one stage I think I had almost the entire Gripboard against me when I inferred that Eric's folding style was not comparable in difficulty to Pat's reverse style.

Congratulating Jedd is a completely different subject. This is not the "congratulating Jedd thread".

I don't think anyone has implied that David Horne is the undisputed king of pinch. I am interested in seeing how Jedd, Chad, Wade etc would do in the 1HP. I don't care if David or Jedd holds that title but I have noticed that relative pinch strength in 1HP vs 2HP can vary significantly. I gave an example of this but I am not surprised that it went over the head on some.

Jedd just destroyed the 2HP record and we'll see 270#+ at Gripmas so even if he only 1HP 90#; nobody cares. In America, the undisputed pinch champ title will be lucky to even reach USAWA-level popularity. That being said, the board can always use more activity :upsidedwn so this should generate a few pages; The Chad would quickly take David's "undisputed king of pinch" title if he felt like going after it. Who else is doing anything with the old deep dish Yorks?

That is only partly relevant (119 or 120k) to the initial question.

Jedd just destroyed the 2HP record and we'll see 270#

That is largely irrelevant to the initial question as we are talking about the adjustable Euro pinch.

Who else is doing anything with the old deep dish Yorks?

If I had to place a bet I would also put my money on Chad I think.

Chad would quickly take David's "undisputed king of pinch" title if he felt like going after it.

Chad would quickly take David's "undisputed king of pinch" title if he felt like going after it.

before you could make that bet chad would have to show up at a comp. as far as I know he's doing the mighty mitts and viking grip but, is done with other grip comps. and wade doesn't seem to have any interest in showing up at these either.

Hypothetical bet indeed and yes one actually have to compete. Therefore, largely by default (Nick is also very strong but David recorded higher numbers in both the 1HP and 2HP), David Horne is the best, overall, on the Europinch.

Jedd is the best on the 2HP, no question about that.

Time will tell if he has any interest in testing himself against David in the 1HP.

before you could make that bet chad would have to show up at a comp. as far as I know he's doing the mighty mitts and viking grip but, is done with other grip comps. and wade doesn't seem to have any interest in showing up at these either.

Dang it, this was supposed to drive 5 pages of high spirited debate! :upsidedwn

This thread brings back good old memories of the 'folding' debate. Some simply can not have a factual discussion without resorting to more-or-less direct insults when they run out of arguments. It does not work on me though. At one stage I think I had almost the entire Gripboard against me when I inferred that Eric's folding style was not comparable in difficulty to Pat's reverse style.

Congratulating Jedd is a completely different subject. This is not the "congratulating Jedd thread".

Fair enough but my comment wasn't meant as an insult to David.

I was not referring to you Josh.

Fair enough but my comment wasn't meant as an insult to David.

I don't know Chad that well but my guess would be he was tired of beating the same guys over and over and does VG and MM because he hasn't won them yet.