An Apology

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

I can understand the need to really know what you're lifting but i think the most important thing for us ''hobby lifters'' is to know that you are adding to it. So far you're strength levels have increased quite significantly Mike, i think that overall, that far outweighs a 13 lb error. ;)

...or maybe we should start weighing our belts, t shirts, air density and how much we ate before squatting. :laugh

Now that you mention it... :laugh

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• Rick Walker

• Magnus

• Sher

I always admired Eric Milfeld for taking all of his weights and bar to the local post office, weighing them, and writing down the weights on each item with a marker. He knew down to the pound what he was lifting.

Eleiko ain't got shit on him!

Yep, but it's worse/better than that. :) He knows down to the tenth so when he adds and rounds it's accurate to the pound. I'm in awe myself.

The way to be sure about a scale is to calibrate or at least check it against a standard weight (like NIST standard). Post Offices do it but I wonder what passes as the tolerance at higher weights? There's always an acceptable tolerance. And, is it linearly accurate over a wide range? You might be off more on a lighter weight than a heavier one, or vice versa. But, that's just being too picky. lol Still, I've a mind to ask them...

Copper is one of the metals they use when applying chrome to various metals. I can guarantee you the bar is not made of it. I'm still thinking your scale is 13lbs light, not the bar...

I don't think the bar is made of copper. But there is definitely something copper looking underneath the chrome plating on the rotating ends. If I didn't have so much faith in this scale, I would think you are right Zach, but I have tested it against a post office scale at my old logistics company too many times. Plus, there seem to be other people on-line who bought this same set and their bar weighed 32# as well. Oh well, just need to work harder and get stronger I guess. smile.gif

Caveat Emptor

Nos owe lemma adeo viaticus. EGO would servo in materia quoque.

Upon hearing about Rindo's problem, I weighed my Oly Bar. 38lbs. ugh. I also then weighted the 4 different 45lb plates I had and they all came in at 45.5 lbs. Oh well. The way I see it most of the equipment we all use in training is not going to be exactly the weight we are led to believe. I'm trying not to lose too much sleep over it

Guest Bullitt

Upon hearing about Rindo's problem, I weighed my Oly Bar. 38lbs. ugh. I also then weighted the 4 different 45lb plates I had and they all came in at 45.5 lbs. Oh well. The way I see it most of the equipment we all use in training is not going to be exactly the weight we are led to believe. I'm trying not to lose too much sleep over it

I disagree Hammy. You are a sissy, who never actually benched 400. You were 5 pounds shy, and yet you have continued on with the lie all these years and made millions from it. I find it very distasteful. You are the Bernie Madoff of basement benchers!

bernard-madoff-portrait.jpg

GO Wings! :mosher

detroit_red_wings_1995.gif

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Edited by Bullitt

I disagree Hammy. You are a sissy, who never actually benched 400. You were 5 pounds shy, and yet you have continued on with the lie all these years and made millions from it. I find it very distasteful. You are the Bernie Madoff of basement benchers!

bernard-madoff-portrait.jpg

GO Wings! :mosher

detroit_red_wings_1995.gif

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

I can't believe you have stooped to this level and exposed me in this way. This means war......

Guest Bullitt

I can't believe you have stooped to this level and exposed me in this way. This means war......

HAHA I jest. 395, 400, 405... all way more than I'll ever bench.

I was thinking about this. you do realize you would have bent that bar a long time ago if you didn't have to worry about the neighbor below you? every deadlift you do you set the weight down really easy. so, maybe that all adds up to a bright side, you should have trashed the junk bar a while ago.

Guest Bullitt

I was thinking about this. you do realize you would have bent that bar a long time ago if you didn't have to worry about the neighbor below you? every deadlift you do you set the weight down really easy. so, maybe that all adds up to a bright side, you should have trashed the junk bar a while ago.

That is true. If I dropped that thing with 450+ on it, I'm sure it would fold like a pretzel. Always a silver lining.

Guest Bullitt

Jason Steeves and I went up to York, PA today. Good times. We went through the musem and I picked up a used york PL bar for $50. Weighed in at 43.7 lbs. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Bullitt

Took me several weeks, but I got it. Worked back up to where I thought I was before I found out my bar was 13# light. If you take the actual weight (calibrated on a postal scale), this was 486.7 lbs (485 if you go by what's on the plates). Had to make it right. Now I just need to bench 300 for real and I can rest easy. Oh, I'm also 15 lbs lighter than I was when I thought I pulled 486. :D Thanks to Rick Walker for all his help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUS1KlT9cko

Nice pull, Mike!

"Bam!". laugh.gif Congratulations on a great pull, Mike!

Thinking back to a weight lifting competition I did in high school makes more sense after reading this post. When I was a junior I went to a competition and missed twice on bench at 360 which I had put up several times in the school gym with no problems. I couldn't understand why I missed cuz I felt strong and plenty rested. Now this makes sense if our bars were quite a bit lighter. We always counted them as 45lbs. but if they were off by 10+lbs. that figures in.

Now I know why my cousin who used to be a powerlifter only ever counted the weight on the bar and not the bar when he was working out. Once he was hitting triples with 5 plates on each side and my girlfriend asked him how much it was and he said 450 and I thought he couldn't count...lol He said the bar doesn't count only the weight that's on it. Me, I don't lift enough to not count the bar but maybe I'll start doing that from now on.

Awesome pull on DL :mosher Just as impressive is the slow lowering of the weight too.

Thinking back to a weight lifting competition I did in high school makes more sense after reading this post. When I was a junior I went to a competition and missed twice on bench at 360 which I had put up several times in the school gym with no problems. I couldn't understand why I missed cuz I felt strong and plenty rested. Now this makes sense if our bars were quite a bit lighter. We always counted them as 45lbs. but if they were off by 10+lbs. that figures in.

Now I know why my cousin who used to be a powerlifter only ever counted the weight on the bar and not the bar when he was working out. Once he was hitting triples with 5 plates on each side and my girlfriend asked him how much it was and he said 450 and I thought he couldn't count...lol He said the bar doesn't count only the weight that's on it. Me, I don't lift enough to not count the bar but maybe I'll start doing that from now on.

After having them since 1989 I finally calibrated all my plates at the local post office a few years ago. Now I no longer worry about overestimating my strength for contests.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Malice! That's what I did Eric. Weighed them on postal scale for CGC and for my own knowledge. Couldn't believe I was 13# off on the bar alone. :whacked:whacked