An Apology

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

So, I was weighing stuff for the contest coming up and decided I would weigh my oly bar for the heck of it. Well, much to my surprise and anger, it weighed in at 31.5 lbs! This scale has been calibrated against a postal scale and is 0.5 lbs light. That means my oly bar weighs 32 lbs. I had always assumed it weighed close to 45 lbs.

The reason for this post is to let everyone know that the 300lb bench, 486lb deadlift, and 470lb DO deadlift I have claimed in these threads were not accurate. Apparently I have only maxed 287 on bench, 473 on deadlifts, and 457 on DO deads.

I apologize for the errors, and I would just like to say that I would never knowingly lie about an accomplishment.

I believe somewhere, way back when, I also posted a 290# 1-arm deadlift. I couldn't find it, but that was in error also.

To say I'm dissapointed would be an understatement. At least my squat numbers are all good, as I did those at the gym.

Again, I apologize for being misleading.

Edited by Bullitt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• Rick Walker

• Magnus

• Sher

that's a shock. I could see a cheaper bar weighing somewhat differently but, that much? that's really a surprise. Knowing that you wouldn't pull anything off as a scam, how many times did you reweigh it in disbelief?

Guest Bullitt

that's a shock. I could see a cheaper bar weighing somewhat differently but, that much? that's really a surprise. Knowing that you wouldn't pull anything off as a scam, how many times did you reweigh it in disbelief?

4X :whacked

I have never in my 50 years in the game seen or even heard of a full sized Oly bar that weighs 32# except for an aluminum technique bar or two. I have a short woman's bar that weighs 35. Even the small diameter Eleiko type bars for the girls weigh more than that. I'm not doubting you but... well - yeah I am I guess. A bar that light should have bent under the weights you are talking about having used. Pictures and measurements all around please. Take that thing to the PO and see what it says there!

Take it to the post office. I'd imagine that if that thing was really 13lb off you'd feel a noticeable difference between your gym training vs. your home training, and I don't remember ever hearing you mention anything about that. I mean heck, like Chris said, for a full size oly to weigh only 32lb, something weird would have to be up with that bar.

Don't weigh your plates then, the 45 standard deep dish I picked up in FL weighs in at 48lbs.

Rico

Guest Bullitt

well you have me worried now, i looked this issue up and found this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111750951

apparently you are not the only one...who knows maybe my gym has 32 lb bars too but i doubt it the feel as heavy as the 45lbs plates

Huh...well that's something.

Yup, it's the cheap Sports Authority bar, made in China, and sold with the 300# set that this gentleman references in the link. 32# right on the nose. This scale is very accurate. Like I said, I've weighed several things on it and on the postal scale at my old job. It is exactly 0.5lbs light. Believe me guys, it's 32#. The chrome plating came off where you load the barbells too. Those splinters are no fun. It's like copper or something underneath. At the end of the day, I guess I'm just lucky it didn't fold up on me. I need to get a job so I can get a Jessup bar.

Rico, all non-calibrated plates can be off (up/down) by a kilo or so. I've just never heard of an oly bar that wasn't close to 45 (except the heavier squat bars.

I'll never trust your posts again.

Hahahahah, just kidding, it happens Mike. Don't worry.

No problem Mike, I know you wouldn't intentionally lie about poundages, remember right before Gripmas I thought I was doing more than I was on my axle because I assumed it was 45lbs. This sure will make the math harder for adding up weights now!

Guest Bullitt

Here's the pics. It is exactly 86" long (7' 2"). In the first pic, you can see how the chrome plating is splintering and flaking off. Appears to be copper underneath?????? The bar hasn't flaked at all.It is about 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" thick.

gallery_16387_1172_2023441.jpg

gallery_16387_1172_1645435.jpg

It's OK Mike... The numbers will come soon with a right barbell this time... :tongue

Keep up the good work brother! :mosher

Everybody who knows you knows that you wouldn't mislead us on purpose Mike. I have a bar that weighs 42lbs and I was really surprised at that. Weighing as much short as yours is would have shocked me though.

Copper is one of the metals they use when applying chrome to various metals. I can guarantee you the bar is not made of it. I'm still thinking your scale is 13lbs light, not the bar...

Guest Bullitt

Copper is one of the metals they use when applying chrome to various metals. I can guarantee you the bar is not made of it. I'm still thinking your scale is 13lbs light, not the bar...

I don't think the bar is made of copper. But there is definitely something copper looking underneath the chrome plating on the rotating ends. If I didn't have so much faith in this scale, I would think you are right Zach, but I have tested it against a post office scale at my old logistics company too many times. Plus, there seem to be other people on-line who bought this same set and their bar weighed 32# as well. Oh well, just need to work harder and get stronger I guess. :)

I don't think the bar is made of copper. But there is definitely something copper looking underneath the chrome plating on the rotating ends. If I didn't have so much faith in this scale, I would think you are right Zach, but I have tested it against a post office scale at my old logistics company too many times. Plus, there seem to be other people on-line who bought this same set and their bar weighed 32# as well. Oh well, just need to work harder and get stronger I guess. smile.gif

Caveat Emptor

Guest Bullitt

I don't think the bar is made of copper. But there is definitely something copper looking underneath the chrome plating on the rotating ends. If I didn't have so much faith in this scale, I would think you are right Zach, but I have tested it against a post office scale at my old logistics company too many times. Plus, there seem to be other people on-line who bought this same set and their bar weighed 32# as well. Oh well, just need to work harder and get stronger I guess. smile.gif

Caveat Emptor

Nos owe lemma adeo viaticus. EGO would servo in materia quoque.

Don't feel disappointed Mike.It could of happen to anyone.So what if the bar is 32 pounds.You are getting stronger anyway, even though your numbers are down a bit.And I think that everyone is aware that it was not on purpose.

I saw the thread and that it was by you...here I thought it was going to be some YouTube vid you found! [Curious though that you'd not put it in the Goerner Reborn forum, right? :)] IMO (and from the previous posts) you've a lot of cred built up and this only adds to it. [AND, you're not an axe murderer either - it's all good! Haha!]

Reweighed 4x. I'm surprised it wasn't more! laugh.gif That's gotta be painful as far as PRs are concerned. No worries, though - you'll get them soon enough!

I can understand your disapointment but don't be so ashamed.

New Pr's will come soon !!

Train hard Mike !

Mike,

Throw the bar out the window. Get a new bar.

A quality barbell, like the Jesup or Texas Power Bar, will last FOREVER, and should be the first piece of equipment you buy.

Until you can do that, don't sweat it. 13 pounds is nothing, plus you train at a commercial gym as well so you can see the difference and it isnt that much. Weight plates are also usually 1-4 pounds off as well, especially the 45s! Worrying about that is trivial my friend, just keep getting stronger!

-Rick