An Apology

Guest Bullitt

Next time you stop by - I'll give you a cheap bar - but it will weigh 45# anyway :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• Rick Walker

• Magnus

• Sher

I'm with Rick. Get a decent bar, put it out of your mind and do the lifts again.

I just appreciate that you would take the time to appoligize to people about this and your honesty. Not many people would do what you did.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks again everyone. When (if?) I ever find a new job, a quality (45#) bar will be my first purchase. I'm leaning toward the Jesup, like Frank got, mainly due to price. :D

Thanks Chris, that would be awesome. I always hated this bar because of the damn chrome splinters, but it was what I had to work with.

Mike,

Throw the bar out the window. Get a new bar.

A quality barbell, like the Jesup or Texas Power Bar, will last FOREVER, and should be the first piece of equipment you buy.

This :D

Given that everyone here uses 130 pound #3's and 150# #3.5's to do their gripper certs, it seems perfectly acceptable for you to get away with the same thing in the realm of real lifting. You should not feel any guilt.

Given that everyone here uses 130 pound #3's and 150# #3.5's to do their gripper certs, it seems perfectly acceptable for you to get away with the same thing in the realm of real lifting. You should not feel any guilt.

Ouch Rex! :laugh Guys that use super easy grippers will find out the hard and embarrassing way when they meet up with other guys either in a contest setting or just a grip gathering. Another reason why I like gripper calibrations. Still makes me chuckle when guys say they won't certify as a COC until they can CCS ANY #3. They would never certify if it was Jason Payne's 190lb+ #3 then. Unless they're one of the cream of the crop #4 closers, and even then I can think of only 2 that might have a shot at CCS closing the "Heartbreaker" as Jason refers to it.

Guest Bullitt

:laugh:laugh I'm guilt free. But I wouldn't have been able to live with myself had I not posted this. Can't be claiming stuff i didn't do. I'm a jerk, not a liar. :D

I thought Ironmind always sent a new #3 or #3.5 for certifications?

Guest Bullitt

The squat bars at the big box gym I squat at are the 55lb variety.

It would be cool to see what everyone's bars weigh and what type of bar they have. The more I researched it, the more I think that all but the high end bars vary quite a bit. There was a thread somewhere, like the one above, saying that the CAP barbells that are sold in sets are often way below 45 as well. Apparently, if they are made in China, they can be anywhere from 30# - 45#.

Apparently, if they are made in China, they can be anywhere from 30# - 45#.

That explains why you're always hungry 30 minutes after eating Chinese food I guess

I looked up some CAP barbells online and all of them said shipping weight was 44 pounds...

I always admired Eric Milfeld for taking all of his weights and bar to the local post office, weighing them, and writing down the weights on each item with a marker. He knew down to the pound what he was lifting.

Eleiko ain't got shit on him!

Guest Bullitt

I looked up some CAP barbells online and all of them said shipping weight was 44 pounds...

Coming from my logistics background, this means that the heaviest any bar they sell, including packaging, will weigh no more than 44lbs. This covers them up to there and makes them extra money on every pound under 44#.

My CAP barbell is 42lbs on the dot.

Thanks Ben. The thread I found earlier, but can't find now, had people saying 38-42# for different CAP oly bars.

No worries, Mike. It's an honest mistake. I have no doubt you'll use this as motivation to set a bunch of new PR's.

I always admired Eric Milfeld for taking all of his weights and bar to the local post office, weighing them, and writing down the weights on each item with a marker. He knew down to the pound what he was lifting.

My PO won't let me weight them there, but I have a quality digital scale that I weigh all my plates and any lifting equipment on and mark them with permanent marker. It's sometimes splitting hairs, but other times I have some plates that weigh quite a bit heavy (four 45s that weigh 47lbs or slightly more) and that adds up when you're talking 350lbs+ vbar pulls and such. A few plates weigh light or right on the dot, but most of mine are heavy by a pound or more. I have some odd plates though: A 45 bumper that weighs 49.2lbs and a 45lb plate with the handles that weighs 50lbs. The other 45lb plate that I bought the same day (with the handles) weighs 44lbs!

Guest Bullitt

My PO won't let me weight them there, but I have a quality digital scale that I weigh all my plates and any lifting equipment on and mark them with permanent marker. It's sometimes splitting hairs, but other times I have some plates that weigh quite a bit heavy (four 45s that weigh 47lbs or slightly more) and that adds up when you're talking 350lbs+ vbar pulls and such. A few plates weigh light or right on the dot, but most of mine are heavy by a pound or more. I have some odd plates though: A 45 bumper that weighs 49.2lbs and a 45lb plate with the handles that weighs 50lbs. The other 45lb plate that I bought the same day (with the handles) weighs 44lbs!

Maybe I should weigh all my plates. If they are over by 13 lbs, this will have all been for not. With my luck, they will all be light and I will have only benched 160. :unsure

Maybe I should weigh all my plates. If they are over by 13 lbs, this will have all been for not. With my luck, they will all be light and I will have only benched 160. :unsure

The bigger plates are what you should worry about. When I see a lifter with 3 100 pound plates per side, I can tell you with near certainty that the weight is off by a few pounds. 45's are the same, to a lesser extent. If you have a bunch of plates, I'd worry about the 100's and 45's, and only weigh the rest if you really want to be precise.

I can understand the need to really know what you're lifting but i think the most important thing for us ''hobby lifters'' is to know that you are adding to it. So far you're strength levels have increased quite significantly Mike, i think that overall, that far outweighs a 13 lb error. ;)

...or maybe we should start weighing our belts, t shirts, air density and how much we ate before squatting. :laugh

Edited by alexis

Mike, don't let all the guys candy coat the situtaion for u. Its perfectly fine to be pissed, I would be upset too. It will pass in time, and after a couple good squat sessions you'll be right back where your susposed to be.

Rico