Race To 500 Lb Do Deadlift

jpmmkrahling

i agree, no hitching. This is more for grip strength and hitching will definately give a big advantage.

i did a quich workout on Saturday and 425 seemed as hard as 455 a couple of days earlier. Nothing like going backwards right away :whacked

Hopefully tonight goes a little better, i just need to figure a good workout that will help with this style, i think the traditional workouts for DL won't work because we are training a much smaller muscle group. How are you guys going about this? Heavy singles 3 times a week, workout out 5 times a day? Just curiuos what works

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timstruse

• jpmmkrahling

• rico300zx

• MANTHOS

Guest Bullitt

i agree, no hitching. This is more for grip strength and hitching will definately give a big advantage.

i did a quich workout on Saturday and 425 seemed as hard as 455 a couple of days earlier. Nothing like going backwards right away :whacked

Hopefully tonight goes a little better, i just need to figure a good workout that will help with this style, i think the traditional workouts for DL won't work because we are training a much smaller muscle group. How are you guys going about this? Heavy singles 3 times a week, workout out 5 times a day? Just curiuos what works

I'm deadlifting once a week. I alternate between heavy singles one week and low rep work the next time. I always pull DO though now. Grip has yet to be a limiting factor in my deadlifts. :blush My deadlift is the limiting factor in my deadlift. :laugh

I'm not sure what works for me either, but my hands can take a hell of a lot more volume than my lower back. I deadlift once a week, so after my regular DL workout I'm going to start doing heavy DO rack lockouts and hold for time.

I'm figuring on testing myself once a week, and during the week stick to Kettlebell work and alot of Hand&Thigh DL for the steel calibrating. I'll fing out Sat morning if i made any progress so far

Mike K, how cold is it your garage last couple days? holy cow!

rico

Mike K, how cold is it your garage last couple days? holy cow!

rico

Cold, but i can't see my breath so it could be worse. The hardest part is starting, then it gets alot easier. I should try putting a heater up there :rolleyes

Nice job Tim. The question now becomes, can I get my deadlift over 500 lbs before you guys can get your grip over 500 lbs. :shifty

I expect to hear any minute now that Frank pulled 500 DO. :rolleyes

Agreed. I can already imagine his post - "just ate some chinese food and drank some coffee and warmed up with 500DO, no belt no chalk." We should limit this race to humans - sorry, Frank.

For that reason, I'll have Chinese and coffee before I do this :D

Guest Bullitt

Went to the gym with my wife for the first time today. Was going to do some rack pulls, but the only power rack they had was taken the whole time by some guy doing 1/8 squats, so i just did conventional DO pulls. The bars they had were knurled almost all the way accross (I'm guessing for squats), so my shins are pretty torn up and on the way up the knurling rubbed the bar out of my hands on 450. They also don't allow chalk, which didn't help either. So I'll be pulling at home from here on out. Anyway, I still pulled 425 like this, so not horrible, but I missed 450 twice, which has me all kinds of pissed off.

Went to the gym with my wife for the first time today. Was going to do some rack pulls, but the only power rack they had was taken the whole time by some guy doing 1/8 squats, so i just did conventional DO pulls. The bars they had were knurled almost all the way accross (I'm guessing for squats), so my shins are pretty torn up and on the way up the knurling rubbed the bar out of my hands on 450. They also don't allow chalk, which didn't help either. So I'll be pulling at home from here on out. Anyway, I still pulled 425 like this, so not horrible, but I missed 450 twice, which has me all kinds of pissed off.

They probably don't have any written rules about tacky............

Guest Bullitt

I should take in a jar of stickum. Or maybe some pine tar. HAHAHAHA

I should take in a jar of stickum. Or maybe some pine tar. HAHAHAHA

Take a jar of blackstrap molasses next time and smeer it all over all the bars . Should do the trick

Or strengthen your grip.

Or keep a micro fiber hand towel and clench it till your ready to pull.

Rico

Or strengthen your grip.

How do I do that?

Blob by the face of course.

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Or strengthen your grip.

How do I do that?

Is there a workout somebody can suggest to strengthen my grip? :laugh

Considering i have done DO rack pulls from below the knees with 500+, I don't think grip is my biggest issue on these. Sweaty palms and a sore elbow is what I'm dealing with now. Next time I'm going to put a bunch of chalk all over my belt. Then I can at least get some on there. Going to lay off these and all grip stuff for my right arm for a while. At least until this elbow feels better. It's killing me today after those deads. Got to get some cissus tonight and give it time to heal me up. I'll do some lefty work to bring that side up, but no grip with my right hand until this thing feels better. I have definitely pulled or sprained something. Feels like the tendon that connects to the outside of my elbow. Red and sore this morning when i got up. Injuries suck! :angry:

Don't worry Mike...Next time, recovered and with better lifting conditions, you'll lift 450 easily.

Decent DL session this afternoon with 1x10 @ 405, with first 6 DO and had to switch to mixed grip for reps 7-10. Then did some holds for time out of the rack, then some light work with the axle. Kept burping up the Indian food buffet I had for lunch - very annoying. Now off for some protein and Tums. Hope everyone's training goes well this week.

Thanks! The holds for time out of the rack really helped. My grippers jumped up since I started the DO, so I'm going to keep doing it. Mike, hope that elbow heals up.

Nice job Tim!!...I liked the nice hold at the top too.