Metroplex Mayhem At Metroflex Ii

Paul Knight

I read the whole gradual increase in difficulty thing. But if all the shit I can lift is set too heavy, but happens to be a good weight or too light for the big guys like Jedd and parts of the Texas crew, I'll get passed over without a thought. I'm usually a mid-pack guy so I'm used to working with the points and rules to get them in my favor, but if there's nothing I can do and all the lifts with set weights are in front of me, I'll be able to tell you exactly what I'll lift before I lift it. That's just no fun. The only x-factor is foot speed, unless you give everyone far too much time for each medley for this to be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Besides, as far as I've read, I'm the only negative comment. Don't not do this just because of me. This is just a conversation and I don't like the idea, and that seems to be just me. Everyone has said they'd compete in it so far, including me. So don't let me ruin the experiment!!!!

maybe I spoke too soon ... It looked like both Chris's and Brent were a little stand-off-ish to the idea as well but maybe not.

either way, I just want it to be easy and enjoyable to everyone, so any more feedback, especially from the local guys or the out of towners who will def be competing would be great

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• huntca

• Sher

• mwhities

Paul I won't be able to come and I've always hated comments on my own contest by those who won't be there. I'm am not negative towards the idea but had concerns about how you planned to handle the issues we have all discussed. I only have one medley event and have had all the same thoughts and problems arise even then. Attracting contestants is always important - at least to me with the goal of growing the sport. Five medley events does give a new set of things to address - have fun with it!

I think the medley idea is a great one. And, I'll be there! :rock
maybe I spoke too soon ... It looked like both Chris's and Brent were a little stand-off-ish to the idea as well but maybe not.

Come on brother! I think you did. I'm telling you now, if it is humanly possible, I'm gonna be there! I just wanted to throw my .02 in here. I know I am still the new guy around these parts.....but you ain't getting rid of me.

Hell, I won't be there but-

One of the fun things about comps is setting PR's. All medleys makes that alot harder. But, like Chris said, make the comp for those who will be there.

either way, I just want it to be easy and enjoyable to everyone, so any more feedback, especially from the local guys or the out of towners who will def be competing would be great

I didn't mean to sound against it. I really do think time is a concern for every event. I am trying to decide how I feel over all. I think I like it.

Is there any way to modify the scoring so that the lighter items were worth more? Would that even things out? Maybe not the lighter ones, but the less difficult ones?

Just an idea. Seems pretty cool.

Another thing that might help fix this is hand size classes.

Is there any way to modify the scoring so that the lighter items were worth more? Would that even things out? Maybe not the lighter ones, but the less difficult ones?

Just an idea. Seems pretty cool.

Another thing that might help fix this is hand size classes.

sure .. thats what we did at the last Metro anyways ... Eric's logic .. which made total sense, was that the harder items weren't twice as hard as the lighter items .. only a percentage harder, so he associated a point value based on the difficulty of one item in relation to the other ... basically if you pinched 75 pounds you would get 3 point and if you pinched 100lbs you would get 4 points .. just an example, but something along those lines.

I know you guys aren't trying to be negative .... negative is a strong word and wasn't a good description .. ya'll are simply playing the "devil's advocate" and thats exactly what I want .... I want you to disect the thought so that we can get somewhere w/it. This is the feedback we need .. thank you for that.

anywho, if we can come up w/classes whether it be handsize, weight, or pros/novice, I'm down for whatever as long as the competitors are cool with it along with Eric and Rex. Like Rice said ... whatever can draw more competitors in is what I'm interested in. In a nut shell .. what's good for the sport, so keep on with the feedback.

One of the fun things about comps is setting PR's. All medleys makes that alot harder. But, like Chris said, make the comp for those who will be there.

I think w/enough incremental weights, everyone could set PR's ... I think you wouldn't be able to if you had an axle loaded to 300 and then have a drastic jump to say 375, but if we played are cards right ... we should have enough implements to make small jumps so that everyone could set PR's .. we'll see. I have an IM axle and also a galvanized pipe for an axle .. Eric also has a galvanized pipe, Casey has one, Kevin has one, so there is five possible axles already that we could load weight on for the medley and I could buy another ... just an example.

I've got an IM axle on the floor of my living room. Metroflex has a homemade one too. So that makes seven axles.

Everyone needs to STFU, by the way. Paul, Eric, and I don't need to beg out of towners to come in order to have a good contest. We've got plenty of people in the area already to make for a full day of fun. That's what happens when you live in society and not in the sticks--you can find people with common interests nearby. There are many other benefits too and I would suggest that people on the Gripboard give it some serious thought, even if just for one year as a lifestyle experiment.

-Rex

:) Actually, they were specifically asked for their feedback so that doesn't seem fair to say now. I think the discussion is going well - lots of ideas, opinions... Even if there are some with concerns, I'd expect you guys to still do what you think is best, more fun, interesting/experimental, etc. just that, now, you have some additional input (which is what I took to be Paul's intent). No matter which direction you choose, I'm sure you guys will do a great job thinking it through and putting it together.

I even have a comment to add :D - if you weren't already planning to do it, I'd think that going through dry runs early on with at least a few implements in the ranges for each medley would help highlight potential troublespots or enhancements. You'd get some idea of timing, physical effects, space requirements, and other logistics out of it. That may already be the norm when planning a comp but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Great. Now I see Rex's second post... :rolleyes:laugh (Dammit, Rex - I couldn't even begin to comment on the rest of your post!)

Edited by xengym

I think w/enough incremental weights, everyone could set PR's ... I think you wouldn't be able to if you had an axle loaded to 300 and then have a drastic jump to say 375, but if we played are cards right ... we should have enough implements to make small jumps so that everyone could set PR's .. we'll see. I have an IM axle and also a galvanized pipe for an axle .. Eric also has a galvanized pipe, Casey has one, Kevin has one, so there is five possible axles already that we could load weight on for the medley and I could buy another ... just an example.

I've got an IM axle on the floor of my living room. Metroflex has a homemade one too. So that makes seven axles.

Paul, Eric, and I don't need to beg out of towners to come in order to have a good contest. We've got plenty of people in the area already to make for a full day of fun. That's what happens when you live in society and not in the sticks--you can find people with common interests nearby. There are many other benefits too and I would suggest that people on the Gripboard give it some serious thought, even if just for one year as a lifestyle experiment.

-Rex

Rex - I follow the Crocodile Dundee theory on society or cities. "The trouble with cities is all those people there, if I go there I just make it worse". :blush

Doc Nick and I discussed having a contest of just one huge medley a long time ago but never could figure out all the logistics to our satisfaction. Let's say you have 10 axles set up varying by 10# each or whatever - in a way, you are back to the normal rising bar but at speed - not exactly of course but kind of. I'd say just turn Eric loose - if he can't figure it all out - it can't be done.

Paul, Eric, and I don't need to beg out of towners to come in order to have a good contest. We've got plenty of people in the area already to make for a full day of fun. That's what happens when you live in society and not in the sticks--you can find people with common interests nearby. There are many other benefits too and I would suggest that people on the Gripboard give it some serious thought, even if just for one year as a lifestyle experiment.

-Rex

Rex - I follow the Crocodile Dundee theory on society or cities. "The trouble with cities is all those people there, if I go there I just make it worse". :blush

Doc Nick and I discussed having a contest of just one huge medley a long time ago but never could figure out all the logistics to our satisfaction. Let's say you have 10 axles set up varying by 10# each or whatever - in a way, you are back to the normal rising bar but at speed - not exactly of course but kind of. I'd say just turn Eric loose - if he can't figure it all out - it can't be done.

:rock

I like the idea of one really huge medley. Put all the medley's together and it would cut down on time also.

It's not just the weight jumps that prevent PR's, but doing the medley format with lots of stuff back to back.

That all being said, there is little that would prevent me from going to a grip contest within driving distance. Guys who want to come will.

It's not just the weight jumps that prevent PR's, but doing the medley format with lots of stuff back to back.

That all being said, there is little that would prevent me from going to a grip contest within driving distance. Guys who want to come will.

Right. Short of work obligations or CCS grippers, I'm going to do everything I can to make a contest within 2.5-3 hours. Once it gets past that for me events start to weigh in but I think you'll capture most of the traffic based on your location.

Sounds like a good time. I would try to make it, but I'm as broke as Rihanna's face

:laugh :laugh :laugh

That's good stuff!

Im in austin so I could make it up there for sure. Let me know....I'm a bit of a novice but would love to participate.

Im in austin so I could make it up there for sure. Let me know....I'm a bit of a novice but would love to participate.

good deal ... you live by Matt Chips and Keith ... you ever trained with those guys?

good deal ... you live by Matt Chips and Keith ... you ever trained with those guys?

Further proof of the benefits of civilization.

-Rex

Paul-

I've never competed in grip, so I probably have no business commenting - but I have to say that I really like the concept of this contest. If I wasn't so far away from you guys, I'd definitely be there. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Do you have an official date set yet? I work every other Saturday and Sunday, but then the next week I get Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday off. Maybe if this comp falls into one of my 4 day weekends I could try to make it??????????

Guest Bullitt
Paul-

I've never competed in grip, so I probably have no business commenting - but I have to say that I really like the concept of this contest. If I wasn't so far away from you guys, I'd definitely be there. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Do you have an official date set yet? I work every other Saturday and Sunday, but then the next week I get Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday off. Maybe if this comp falls into one of my 4 day weekends I could try to make it??????????

Once there is a date set, I can start trying to schedule a trip to see one of our Texas customers around that weekend. ;)

No I haven't. I'm new to the area but would love some training partners/motivators. What are there usernames and I will send them a PM? :rock

No I haven't. I'm new to the area but would love some training partners/motivators. What are there usernames and I will send them a PM? :rock

Matt's is opnsysme (I think - sp?) Matt is real strong and would be a perfect guy to train with and not sure what Keith's username is, but Matt could get you in touch.

Mike - that would be awesome you if you made it buddy! I've been wanting to meet you ... you crack me up w/some of the shtuff you say, you should try to convince Bobby to come w/you.

Last year it was on the 24th of Jan ... It'll prolly be the last weekend or next to last weekend of Jan. to avoid the holidays.

IROC! you could give Ryan a run for his money on the thick bar stuff fo sho! I've see your RT vid and you are steeerong! luv for you to make it as well. Plus I have an Inch dumbell sittin here for you to cert on.

May wanna book your departure times late on Sunday cause we'll be have'in an after party at my house. Gotta couple free beds at my house if anyone wants to stay. First come first serve.

I'm prolly gonna keep the entry fees real low this year also. Maybe $25 or even $20 just to cover food and a few prizes - let you know later as this unravels ... any left over will be a cash prize ... Jedd walked last year w/a $100 bucks .. better than nothin.

mis post

Edited by Paul Knight

Last year it was on the 24th of Jan ... It'll prolly be the last weekend or next to last weekend of Jan. to avoid the holidays.

IROC! you could give Ryan a run for his money on the thick bar stuff fo sho! I've see your RT vid and you are steeerong! luv for you to make it as well. Plus I have an Inch dumbell sittin here for you to cert on.

It's a long haul for me, but if by some chance my work schedule allows it and I can swing it - I would love to be there. I'll let you know how my work schedule is looking as we get closer to the date.

I've never tried an Inch..........so that would be cool to give it a shot!

Thanks Paul. :rock