Metroplex Mayhem At Metroflex Ii

Paul Knight

I haven't talked to Brian Dobson yet about using his gym again, but last year he said we could. Let me know if you are interested. If I can get about 15 people showing interest, I'll talk to Brian. The comp will probably take place late Jan again.

Talked about events

Grippers

2HP

Axle

Massive Medley

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• huntca

• Sher

• mwhities

Good deal to see you and Aaron making good regular contests on that end of the country. California has had some for a while, between Arizona and Texas too there is a good choice for west coast grip guys.

Good deal to see you and Aaron making good regular contests on that end of the country. California has had some for a while, between Arizona and Texas too there is a good choice for west coast grip guys.

fo sho - Eric's had the Show of Hands Grip cup goin on for I think 4 years and now has the Steel Slayer showdown for all the bending nuts, so def no shortage of comps on this side of town.

I've been chewing on this for awhile today (haven't talked to Eric about this yet) and I'd like to call the medley ... instead of "Massive Medley" .... I'd like to call it "Mega Medley" ... my idea is to stick to only the 4 events and have a medley so huge and mega that it would almost act like 2 events .... Medley's have always been my favorites in grip comps and I think a few would agree. Between all the stuff in my home gym/garage, Eric's and Metroflex, we have a TON of items that we could use to create a ridiculous Medley.

I was also thinking just 3 attempts on all the events so that it's not an all-nighter and we could all have some time to chill and fart around afterwards.

In addition, I was thinking to mirror Chad and have a designated Judge, score person, and Loaders. This will make it more enjoyable for everyone I think.

ideas, suggestions welcome.

Edited by Paul Knight

Damn, Eric too! He has been running the contests out there for a while.

I've had a scorekeeper and judge at almost all my events. Loaders are great, especially with the pinch, but rising bar makes things less of a pain in the ass if you can't get the help.

Shorter is great! I have always thought about doing a contest where you have 3 attempts/ event, but have one "spare" you can use in an event of your choosing.

fo sho - Eric's had the Show of Hands Grip cup goin on for I think 4 years and now has the Steel Slayer showdown for all the bending nuts, so def no shortage of comps on this side of town.

I've been chewing on this for awhile today (haven't talked to Eric about this yet) and I'd like to call the medley ... instead of "Massive Medley" .... I'd like to call it "Mega Medley" ... my idea is to stick to only the 4 events and have a medley so huge and mega that it would almost act like 2 events .... Medley's have always been my favorites in grip comps and I think a few would agree. Between all the stuff in my home gym/garage, Eric's and Metroflex, we have a TON of items that we could use to create a ridiculous Medley.

I was also thinking just 3 attempts on all the events so that it's not an all-nighter and we could all have some time to chill and fart around afterwards.

In addition, I was thinking to mirror Chad and have a designated Judge, score person, and Loaders. This will make it more enjoyable for everyone I think.

ideas, suggestions welcome.

When the dates are set I'll have a better idea but, I should be able to make this one.

brent

• 2 weeks later...

Okay ... wanna get some feed back from you guys on this ...

been talking this over w/Eric and Rex and I think we are going to try something different this time. It's not set in stone yet and is why I want to see some reactions ... you don't have to even plan on competing in the comp, I just want to see you what you think.

I believe this will be a first.

We are talking about the comp being nothing but a huuuuuuuge Medley ... Rex came up with a funny name for it I though "The Medly that ends all Medley's" We haven't worked out all the logistics for it yet, but it may play out something like this ...

first off - last year at the MMM we had a Medley that hit every grip discipline, we had an easy, medium and hard lift for each .. we did narrow pinch, wide pinch, hub pinch, thickbar, and V-bar.

I liked the idea of tackling every part of grip in our medley and this one will defenitly do that. I'm thinking of doing 5ish different Medley's ... have say a:

Gripper Medley: we'll just have a crap-load of grippers laid out on a table and you get a point for each one you close - may have some 5/8th inch handled grippers, some choked grippers, some tns grippers (prolly easier ones), filed grippers, etc ... you can use both hands if you so entice (stratigize). calibration prolly wouldn't be neccesary because you simply would get a point for the close or 0 points if you miss

Narrow Pinch/Wide pinch Medley: we'll have every Blob/block weight you could imagine laid out varying in difficulty and various pinch devices set up. We'll have two Euro's there probably with some serious weight on them, 2x45's, 2x35's + 10, 2x35's, 2x25's +10, etc .. you get the idea ... and many more

Thick bar/supporting Medley: RT's w/different weights, Crusher, 3-4 different axle lifts or more, maybe throw a farmers walk in there - we have standard FW implements and 2.5" thick revolving handle FW's too, Inch dumbell, Metro inch, FBBC thick handle dumble w/x amount of weight ... just a ton of possibilities

a crazy hub medley: maybe a series of hubbs lined up w/diffent weights .. prolly starting with a 25lb hub and up, double hub lifts, hub curl, hub clean, maybe a hub transfer, maybe fart on a hub for bonus points ... just whatever, the more ideas the better

Odd object Medley: between all of the DF Dub crew (garage crew) we have alot of weird stuuf to lift, ie .. 50lb drill bit, a section of railroad track (which is pretty challenging), anvil, tractor weight, half a chrome dumbell by the rounded side, we could do some key pinch lifts, rim lifts, plate curls .. basically anything that is not a trad grip lift but could display grip strength would qualify for this particular Medley.

My only concern that might turn people off to this style comp is the lists. I'll talk to Eric, but I was thinking, if you wanted to go for the number #1 spot on say the top 50 pinch list .. we could have the WR weight setup on one of the Euro's (maybe exceeding the record by a pound or so) and still have the bar setup to the standard height so you could still go for it, but not sure if it would count .. being part of a medley that is, instead of the actual pinch event, but I'll check - same goes for the axle. All gripper closes I'm sure could be given credit for ... FBBC grippers/Vulcan, etc ... I guess MMO if someone catches it on vid

anywho .. this is a fresh thought, so lets hear the pros and cons so we can make a decision - medley ideas are cool too. I know Aaron has a million. haha

Edited by Paul Knight

what brought this idea up was .. I was thinking about what I always look forward to in a comp, and it has always been the medley and I asked around and it seems thats true for others too. Medley's make for good vids, they are full of action, and makes for a good audience I think too. You don't do just one 1/2 second lift/squeeze and be done until you cycle all the way around again. People were getting a rise at Chad's comp during the Medley and I was getting a kick out of it. We could make this comp sorta a guinea pig for the idea and if it was cool ... good, if not ... ah well.

I think it's a terrible idea, but it wouldn't keep me from competing if I was already set on it. You can have too much of a good thing, and 5 medleys is far too much of a good thing. People wouldn't be worth a damn by the last medley or two. I'd certainly be up for trying it though.

I think it's a terrible idea, but it wouldn't keep me from competing if I was already set on it. You can have too much of a good thing, and 5 medleys is far too much of a good thing. People wouldn't be worth a damn by the last medley or two. I'd certainly be up for trying it though.

Next time we see each other ..... swift left kick to the dome

That's really one of the neatest ideas I've ever heard! Very cool. You should interest a lot of people with that one.

Boy, when I was your age, I could scrimmage for three hours, lift the iron, and still have some left for Wednesday night fellowship at the house of mercy.

-Rex

Next time we see each other ..... swift left kick to the dome

Haha! You said you wanted some feedback! :tongue I figure honesty is better than a dolled up, carefully worded response. I love the medleys at comps, and I look forward to them just as much as the next guy. The problem I have with 5, or a whole contest of medleys, is that I love having at least 1 big weight event. I could deal with 4 medleys and a 2HP, Sledge lever, Axle or a regular Gripper event. It may be a faster pace and slightly more interesting to watch, but heavier weights are always more fun.

Boy, when I was your age, I could scrimmage for three hours, lift the iron, and still have some left for Wednesday night fellowship at the house of mercy.

-Rex

Not saying I couldn't do it. Hardly. I'm at an advantage compared to most of the guys in the field in a contest like this. I'm just saying I don't like the idea, but that I would definitely compete if it were nearer. That being said, I've always hated the naysayers who bitched and weren't even competing in the contest they were bitching about. So, Zach out of this thread!

The problem with Medleys in general is they end up as Pass Fail usually. The weaker guys simply can't lift much if anything there and probably won't come but maybe I'm wrong. I think you need to set things up very carefully to avoid this - I don't think people will come if they believe they will fail to lift nearly everything there - that's not much fun. The advantage of the more standard events is that each person can set new personal bests, even if they do badly overall in the competition. As you know, I love medleys but from Gripmas I know the problems it creates when there is a wide range of strengths from very strong to beginner present - how do you challenge the big boys without blowing out the new guys? Failing to lift ANY items is going to be quite discouraging. I'll be curious as to how you set it up and how it does. Good Luck!

I agree 100% with what climber said. Paul you know from first hand experience my level as a beginner. Sure it would be fun to be in the competitive atmosphere, and I may get a few PR's out of the deal. But, I know, for a fact, I would have zero shot of winning this thing.

This type of competition would, IMHO, have to be divided into classes. The best thing I could figure would be to do a "survey" that had to be sent in with the entry fee and form. This would require alot of work, but I think it would be worth it. Ask people the highest level gripper they have closed, the most they have pinched, the heaviest blob lifted, etc. Maybe just two seperate classes on the first four medleys you listed then both classes get a go at everything in the odd objects. Just so you wouldn't have to divide the last medley. (I hope that's clear.)

That's just my two cents. Also, just because I know I won't win, that's not gonna keep me from competing. :cool

The problem with Medleys in general is they end up as Pass Fail usually. The weaker guys simply can't lift much if anything there and probably won't come but maybe I'm wrong. I think you need to set things up very carefully to avoid this - I don't think people will come if they believe they will fail to lift nearly everything there - that's not much fun. The advantage of the more standard events is that each person can set new personal bests, even if they do badly overall in the competition. As you know, I love medleys but from Gripmas I know the problems it creates when there is a wide range of strengths from very strong to beginner present - how do you challenge the big boys without blowing out the new guys? Failing to lift ANY items is going to be quite discouraging. I'll be curious as to how you set it up and how it does. Good Luck!

I've considered this and is why I would like to have more items that are easy to moderatly easy than the hard stuff so that everyone could still pick up a bunch of items ... I know what you mean though ... GGC and Chad's comp especially were some damn hard medleys.

Zach - you know I luv u buddy ... I won't really left kick you to your face ....

just a karate chop to the bridge of your nose.. haha

really though - your honesty is what I want, I appreciate it - this is how we can make our decisions, but I'm still not sure why you don't like the idea ... you mentioned heavy weight ... there will def be some heavy weights on pinch and axle, so just a little confused what you mean .. maybe you could elaborate a little.

Chris - there will be tons of stuff that you would be able to lift and I have no problem with a novice and advanced class. I'll talk it over w/Eric and Rex

Chris, from what Paul and I talked about last week, the medley would be arranged in such a way that even the novices could lift about half the items in any given medley. We want these medleys to have a level of fine gradation that has never been seen before in grip. There will be no big jumps between one item and the next hardest item, and the easiest item will be something that even a person who does not train girp can do. This will allow everyone to home in on their exact skill level for each of the types of grip strength.

-Rex

Yea. Check with them on the classes. I just think it would be more fair and more fun for everyone. I am pretty sure you could get more people into it with the two classes. Like I said, it wouldn't too much bother me not winning. But, I figure alot of people wouldn't care anything about being one of 20 when only 5 people are "really" competing. Don't take my numbers literally, just saying.

Rex, Thanks for clearing that up. I am glad to see that you guys have taken into consideration the beginners. But, one thing I just thought about while reading your post.....with such a large variety of "implements" shorten the time allowed so you would have to pick and choose what you were going to do in the alotted time.

Think of it like this: Just say there are 25 blobs of all sizes. You, Paul and Eric get together and decide that if someone could lift all 25 of them it would take...I don't know.....5 minutes. So lets set the time as 2.5 or 3 minutes for the medley. I think that would even the playing field. Say I can lift the 12 lightest in the alotted time and you can lift the other 13 in the alotted time.....you are way stronger....but only beating me by one point.

I just think that by shortening the time that significantly you are leveling the playing field. I hope you understand where I am coming from on this.

really though - your honesty is what I want, I appreciate it - this is how we can make our decisions, but I'm still not sure why you don't like the idea ... you mentioned heavy weight ... there will def be some heavy weights on pinch and axle, so just a little confused what you mean .. maybe you could elaborate a little.

I like lifts for max weight. The whole 3-4 attempts at lifting a bigger weight than the next guy deal. Simply having heavy shit to lift doesn't entice me if all the stuff I train is set at or above my highest level.

All I can see 5 medleys ending up being is a foot race, and I don't like running.

I like lifts for max weight. The whole 3-4 attempts at lifting a bigger weight than the next guy deal. Simply having heavy shit to lift doesn't entice me if all the stuff I train is set at or above my highest level.

All I can see 5 medleys ending up being is a foot race, and I don't like running.

all of it wouldn't be .... there would be a ton of stuff below your level and would incrementally get tougher until to get to your max and then above .... ding dong - knock knock did you read above?

Chris ... if we made it near impossible to lift all the items within the time limit, then even the stronger guys would just lift the lighter items to accumilate the same amount of points or a little more - make sense? It's really all the same, I might try to go for the harder stuff first so that I have enough strength by not burning out on the lighter stuff, but if I only had enough time to do half the items, I would simply do all the light stuff. I would like to arrange the medley in a way that you will really need to use your brain in picking and choosing which order to go in and if you are strong enough, be able to complete the medley in the time limit.

Chris ... if we made it near impossible to lift all the items within the time limit, then even the stronger guys would just lift the lighter items to accumilate the same amount of points or a little more - make sense? It's really all the same, I might try to go for the harder stuff first so that I have enough strength by not burning out on the lighter stuff, but if I only had enough time to do half the items, I would simply do all the light stuff. I would like to arrange the medley in a way that you will really need to use your brain in picking and choosing which order to go in and if you are strong enough, be able to complete the medley in the time limit.

Yea, it makes perfect sense. I had already thought of that. But, I figured that everyone here pretty much has an "ego". Not saying that is a bad thing. So, I was guessing that the guys that could go heavier would. More to "save face" than to win.

That being said, if there is only enough time to complete half of them and you complete the heavy half and I complete the light half we are in the same boat. So, if you ran the comp like this, theoretically, you could have a guy win who is not the strongest guy there. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't know. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Bottom line.....It's you guys comp. Run it how you want to. I think the medley idea is a great one. And, I'll be there! :rock

I have to wonder how long this would all take. it sounds like the longest day ever. beyond that, I'm not sure how I feel yet.

I have to wonder how long this would all take. it sounds like the longest day ever. beyond that, I'm not sure how I feel yet.

we talked about the time frame already and after doing some figuring .. it didn't look like it would take any longer than any other comp, but it already looks like we're getting some negative feedback on this and may revert back to the original plan ... I'll keep the idea open for a little longer to see what happens, but if it continues like this, we'll prolly do the trad comp.

Zach - disregard my last reply to you, I think I mis-read what you said

I read the whole gradual increase in difficulty thing. But if all the shit I can lift is set too heavy, but happens to be a good weight or too light for the big guys like Jedd and parts of the Texas crew, I'll get passed over without a thought. I'm usually a mid-pack guy so I'm used to working with the points and rules to get them in my favor, but if there's nothing I can do and all the lifts with set weights are in front of me, I'll be able to tell you exactly what I'll lift before I lift it. That's just no fun. The only x-factor is foot speed, unless you give everyone far too much time for each medley for this to be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Besides, as far as I've read, I'm the only negative comment. Don't not do this just because of me. This is just a conversation and I don't like the idea, and that seems to be just me. Everyone has said they'd compete in it so far, including me. So don't let me ruin the experiment!!!!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen