The Steel Slayer Showdown

EricMilfeld

Sponsored by: St. Croix Horsheshoes, Ryan Johnson, Atlarge Nutrition, and Deathgrip

When: 10:00 A.M., Saturday, September 19, 2009

Where: my house in Fort Worth, Texas

Entry Fee and Deadline: $40 by August 15

EVENTS

6" Reverse Grip

Standard rules apply.

7" Freestyle

The Steel Slayer's Top 20 Bending List rules apply.

8" Braced

Three minutes will be given to to bring the ends within 2" using any braced style.

Horseshoes

Three minutes will be given to bring the shoe to 180 degrees.

Weight Classes: under 200 and 200 and over

Scoring: The winner of each event will receive one point, with the second place finisher receiving two points, and so on down the list. The lowest combined total points of all events wins. The greater angle of bend wins on pieces not bent to completion, provided the next easiest bend was performed to completion.

Awards: Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers in each weight class.

Refreshments: Barbecue and beer will be served.

Additional Notes: The rules regarding wraps posted in The Steel Slayer's Top 20 Bending Lists will apply to all four disciplines. Three attempts will be allowed for all events. Dropping down in difficulty level on successive attempts is allowed. Because I have a lot of steel to purchase and calibrate meeting the entry deadline is imperative.

Contestants:

1) Paul Knight - HALF PAID

2) Eric Milfeld - PAID :D

3) Greg Griffin - PAID

4) Mike Krahling - PAID

5) Casey Emery - PAID

6) Cody Sherrod

7) Mark DeSouza

8) Alex Graves - PAID

9) Brad Manion - PAID

10) Jim Ricchezza - PAID

11) Ryan Johnson - PAID

12) Chris Hunt

Steel Stock

6" REVERSE

Galvanized Spiral 60D = 215

Galvanized 60D = 300

Shiny 60D = 375

5 1/2" Shiny 60D

5/16" x 6 1/8" grade 2 = 415

5 1/2" grade 5 (calibrates @ 410 at 6 1/16")

Grade 8 = 500

5 5/8" Grade 8

5/16" CRS = 550

5/16" stainless = 595

7" FREESTYLE

5/16" HRS = 365

5/16" CRS = 440

5/16" 1018 = 490

Bastard = 510

3/8" HRS = 530

5/16 x 7 3/16" grade 5 bolt = 555

5/16" x 7 1/16" grade 5 bolt = 590

5/16" stainless hex = 645

KOAB = 665

BRACED

5/16" grade 2 = 265

5/16" 1018 = 365

Shiny 80D = 455

Galvanized 80D = 500

Keystone 80D = 585

HORSESHOES

St. Croix Ultra Lite Rimmed 2

St. Croix Lite 000

St. Croix Lite 1

Diamond Bronco Plain 1

Diamond Bronco Plain 000

St. Croix Plain 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• Paul Knight

• huntca

• jpmmkrahling

Thanks for the info Eric. I've got some really tough financial strains right now, but I should be sending in my payment in early July.

Thanks for the info Eric. I've got some really tough financial strains right now, but I should be sending in my payment in early July.

I appreciate the support, Brad.

• 1 month later...

I've amended the original post with all of the contest stock I have calibrated to date. Of course there will be much more added as money allows. So far, only Brad Manion has sent in his entry fee.

I got your entry fee, Mike. Thanks!

Hey guys, I just want to get some input from ya'll about the two weight divisions. Is it a good idea? Is 200 pounds a good cut off point?

Hey guys, I just want to get some input from ya'll about the two weight divisions. Is it a good idea? Is 200 pounds a good cut off point?

NO ... it should be 235

NO ... it should be 235

I can't decide between 235 and 185, but I'm leaning towards 185. :laugh

With Mike's entry fee I went out and bought a bunch more stock today, calibrated it, and added it to the list above. We have a decent little collection now, but there's still a lot of gaps for me to bridge.

Also, should competitors fail with the same piece of steel the greater angle of bend wins.

NO ... it should be 235

Eric,

As far as the cut off, my opinion would be to wait until the day of the contest (or as close as possible) and see who actually comes. And then choose at that time. It does not matter to me what the cut off is, i will be in the heavy group either way. Maybe you can add approx weights of the competitors on the first thread, just my 2 cents.

I think it should stay as is.Would not be fair to change the rules after people already sent there money in.BTW whats the address to send my entry fee ?........

I was joking about the weight cutt-off being 235, I'm betting it will stay 200

With regards to the "greater angle of impartial bends wins" rule, this applies provided the next easiest bend was bent to completion.

Jim makes a good point. Based on the approximate weight of the competitors I think we might have a pretty even division for the weight classes using 200 as the cut-off.

Paul i knew you were kidding about the 235 :D Figured Eric was serious about the 185 which is doable for me but id rather concentrate on getting strong that losing weight.

NO ... it should be 235

Then another class for over 335. Then I could dominate the SFBC (Super Fat-Boy Class)! Being as I would probably be the only one at that weight. :rock Seriously though, I am gonna do everything humanly possible (including mowing the yard, taking out the trash, and cleaning the bathrooms) to be able to make it to this one. Probably not to compete, but I definitely want to meet everybody. Especially after this weekend.

NO ... it should be 235

Then another class for over 335. Then I could dominate the SFBC (Super Fat-Boy Class)! Being as I would probably be the only one at that weight. :rock Seriously though, I am gonna do everything humanly possible (including mowing the yard, taking out the trash, and cleaning the bathrooms) to be able to make it to this one. Probably not to compete, but I definitely want to meet everybody. Especially after this weekend.

had a blast with you Chris .... FYI - Chris bent a grade 5 in IM pads for the first piece of steel he ever touched and he didn't even have it under his chin - he had it sorta mid chest and just muscled it - look out for this guy. We better hope he doesn't figure out how to bend DO under his chin! :laugh

Paul i knew you were kidding about the 235 :D Figured Eric was serious about the 185 which is doable for me but id rather concentrate on getting strong that losing weight.

I was joking too! :D Coincidentally, I weigh 185. :laugh

It's like the running joke I have with Paul. I inform him that Euro Pinch is the best all around test of grip strength. He corrects me by informing me it's actually grippers.

NO ... it should be 235

had a blast with you Chris .... FYI - Chris bent a grade 5 in IM pads for the first piece of steel he ever touched and he didn't even have it under his chin - he had it sorta mid chest and just muscled it - look out for this guy. We better hope he doesn't figure out how to bend DO under his chin! :laugh

Man, I had a great time too. Tell you what, I'm gonna really get on the bending. You just hold on to that red if you still have it. I want that exact one to be the first to go down. I just ordered me some pads by the way. Got some more bolts yesterday and am waiting to make an order with John. I wanna be a bastard by the end of the year. And I don't mean like the one my wife calls me. :D

Man, I had a great time too. Tell you what, I'm gonna really get on the bending. You just hold on to that red if you still have it. I want that exact one to be the first to go down. I just ordered me some pads by the way. Got some more bolts yesterday and am waiting to make an order with John. I wanna be a bastard by the end of the year. And I don't mean like the one my wife calls me. :D

the red is yours

• 2 weeks later...

Added to the list of stock is an easy spiral for reverse and a 7 1/16" Edgin that hits a big 590 for freestyle.

Added to the list of stock is an easy spiral for reverse and a 7 1/16" Edgin that hits a big 590 for freestyle.

Is the 590 Edgin a JH FNL G5? I measured one just now to 7 1/16 and thought it might be the same. Also know that it is very hard for an Edgin

Is the 590 Edgin a JH FNL G5? I measured one just now to 7 1/16 and thought it might be the same. Also know that it is very hard for an Edgin

Actually, it's a Triangle. Normally these measure 7 3/16.

I forgot to ask this awhile ago, Eric, but will there be plenty of warmup stock as well, or would competitors be advised to bring their own, which in my case would involve putting it in my checked luggage?

I forgot to ask this awhile ago, Eric, but will there be plenty of warmup stock as well, or would competitors be advised to bring their own, which in my case would involve putting it in my checked luggage?

I have spirals and 60D nails and a few odds and ends hanging around, which you are welcome to use, but I would like to use the money left after buying the contest stock for trophies, barbecue, beer, etc., as opposed to buying steel specifically for warming up. So, if there is a particular piece of steel you like to use for warmups let me know and I'll see if I have it already. Or maybe another competitor would be bringing it. Long story short, anything I have that isn't for contest bends your are welcome to.

I'm very pleased to announce that Ryan has secured another sponsor for us: Atlarge Nutrition!