Animalcage Training Log

AnimalCage

Jon,

Interesting thought with the ruler. It's possible that my statement was misleading. Maybe I misspoke? I didn't mean I was holding them with my free hand. I am holding the stack with the gripper so they don't fall, but in order to progress to 5 pennies, I need to be exerting much more force on them. I want to give Lincoln an extra dimple!

By the by, my Supergripper came in today! Interesting toy, I must say. I've done 5/8 for 161.75. My hands now hurt in new places. I really enjoy the knurling on the CoC's. This one is very slick. Setting it will require some practice. I'm gonna have to work with this before I feel comfortable with it.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnimalCage

• Jonathan McMillan

• bencrush

• gerryg

Animalcage,

Your ahead of me with the penny stack usage then. I've been taping the stack to my handle and then shutting the gripper to the stack...looking at your ruler straphold setup made me thick this would be an easier way of positioning the stack without taping.

I broke down and taped my supergripper handles, I'll eventually get some hockey tape, right now I'm just using some surgical tape and it gets shredded off the handle eventually.

Careful you don't overdue the ISG like I did the first week I got it ;)

Jon@han

Alan I am new to this awesome Grip board. Please tell me what is the KTA Program and where can I order it

Many thanx!

Tom

Been doing standard workouts the past two days, no time to journal. Still just holding the penny stack with the 343.

02-19

am warmup - T,1,2 - 5 reps - r,l

Just read amaury's post, and felt like this was a "clicky" morning. Clicked all lefty, all but one righty. 20 secs rest between sets.

5 "clicks" out of 5 lefty ??

You got a good bag Alan. Gosh, no doubt you can do more than just 5 reps with the #2 ! :blink

Actually, you recently did 15 reps lefty (if memory serves) :D

Thanks. My previous goal was 5 closes anytime. Now, my new goal is 5 undeniable clicks! Anytime.

Actually, I like the feel of my lefty set better than my righty.

02-19 pm workout

T - 5 reps

343 - 6 pennies - 7 secs - r

343 - 6 pennies - 6 secs - l

#3 neg - r,l

ISG - 8 6=176.67 - r

ISG - 2 10=169.62 - l

#2 - 5 reps

#1 - 5 reps

#T - 10 reps - r,l

2-20

am workout - T,1 - 5 reps

#2 - 9 clicks r, 6 clicks left

2-21 A friend was telling me about some guy this morning on television that broke the world record for ripping phone books. He did 23 in 2 minutes. Of course, I asked him how thick were they, how many pages, etc. He said he thought they were 1,000 pages each. I found a 1,000 page phone book and ripped it in 10 seconds. I don't think I could do that for long.

This all brings up an interesting point. My PR 1.5" phone book was almost 1500 pages. I found a new book this morning that is, oops, was 1600 pages but just 1.25" thick. So the density of the pages certainly would make a difference in the difficulty. Which tear is a better tear? I would think the 1600 pages is better. It may also depend on hand size. If you have smaller hands, the smaller dimensions may work well for you, where a larger hand prefers a thicker but not necessarily more dense book. Anyways, this one took about 7 minutes. Once I got through the top, Wham! It was done.

Then the gripper warmup soon after...

#T, #1 - 5 reps - r,l

#2 - 4 reps l, couldn't close it - r

2-21 continued...

pm workout

#T - 5 reps

343 - 6 pennies - 10 secs - r, 8 secs - l

#2 - 8 reps - r, 6 reps - l

#1, #T - 10 reps

Put on a phone book tearing clinic for 2 guys at work. They were thrilled when they ripped their books.

I had told the photo guy at the drug store I would rip a deck of cards for him next time I was in. He saw some of my other pictures, plus my grippage sweatshirt and snowman t-shirt, and had asked some questions. I bought a deck of Bicycle Riderback cards off the rack and ripped them for him and two spectators. I'm just happy to know the first deck wasn't a fluke.

I would guess the same points could be made with various playing cards as I've noticed differences in the partial decks I've tried.

Haven't gotten around to aquiring some junked phone books to play with yet.

Jon@han

2-26 Workouts have been inconsistent as of late.

am workout - T,1 - 5 reps r,l

#2 - 4 reps r, 5 reps l (didn't make my quota)

pm workout

#T - 5 reps

343 - 6 pennies - 10 sec hold - r

6 pennies - 8 sec hold - l

#2 - 2 reps

#1 - 10 reps

#T - 10 reps

I need to redefine "holding" a penny stack. Before, I was in the "anti-drop" mode. I could barely keep them from falling, and my mindset was just that: to keep them from falling. Today, I was actually holding them. After the 10 second hold, I reached up with my free hand and had to give the penny stack a little tug to free it from the gripper handles. So I'll call the three stages "antidrop", "hold", and "mash".

Good hold righty, good hold lefty until the 8 second mark where the gripper just opened up. I also like the low reps with the #2 after that. It means more effort was poured into the 343. A banner day!

Nice terminology!!! I'll have to borrow some of it the next time I do a pennystack.

Don't the Inuit have fifty million different names for snow??

Jon@han

2-27

am workout - T,1,2 - 5 reps - r,l

interval workouts - ISG 7,5 (143) - 5 reps every hour, 7 hours

pm workout

T - 5 reps - r,l

343 - 6 penny antidrop 10 secs - r

343 - 6 penny antidrop 6 secs - l

2 - 2 reps - r,l

1 - 10 reps - r,l

T - 10 reps - r,l

I'm not really sure how to work my ISG into the schedule. I want to increase my volume throughout the day, while trying to save a little for the afternoon workout. I wasn't as strong as yesterday, but not too bad off considering the increased volume. I plan to increase my settings one torque level each week. I'm hoping it won't affect the nerve issue in my left hand, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Wasn't going to workout today, but the thread on how many times can a CoC close a trainer piqued my interest. I didn't let it open all the way, just to where I was comfortable, and definitely past parallel.

T - max reps - 55 r, 59 l

Guest matt3966

AnimalCage, I am a brand new member to the board. I was wondering if you or any other experienced grippers could point me in the correct direction to getting started. Specifically I've seen the KTA program mentioned a few times, I am interested in what this program is and where can I order it?

Thanks for your help.

Matt,

For goodness sake, RUN!! We're all sick here. We do things to our hands that are painfully abnormal, talk about computing dumbbell circumferences using terms like handlength and pi, rip occasional tendons, etc etc etc

Welcome to best home for grip on the planet! I encourage you to look around. You will no doubt be blinded by the illumination of grip knowledge and experience here!

First, read through the most current threads on the Gripboard forum. This forum (Workout Reports...) is for posting workouts. Second, use the search function to look up any questions you might have. Third, start a new thread on the Gripboard forum. In it, you should give your basic details (a lot of us actually use our real names here), how long you have been training in general, how long you have trained your grip, and what type of exercises you do. If you are new to the whole grip thing, there's advice to spare. Plus, there are many ideas on how to make your own grip / strength implements.

For information on KTA, read through the pinned topic on the Gripboard. Then contact Wannagrip, moderator extraordinaire, at editor@cyberpump.com. Be forewarned, the program is not for pansies.

Let us know what your goals are, and best of luck to you!

Alan

3-1 Typical warmup. Tried to close #3 or #4 numerous times at the Arnold. No dice, no surprise.

3-3

throughout day

ISG - 9,2 (147.69) 5 reps - 4 sets ()

#2 - 5 reps - 1 set

343 - couldn't set pennies quick enough. Gave the puppy a good squeeze, and got it to about 4 pennies for 5 seconds or so, both hands.

:ohmy I am amazed at how powerful you are even though you are hurt. I am in no way a strength guy like most guys in here and even though I do my workouts religiously I come nowhere near your strength level. I do farmers walks with 115lbs dumbells for about 50ft, 5 walks and do some work with the #2 gripper from IronMind {can almost close it} but still I am amazed at you. If your as mentally powerful as I think you are you'll be back in good shape before you know it. Anyway just saying your not falling apart by any means. Thanks for being so inspirational. :bow

Wow! Thanks Python. It took almost a year to recover from the elbow. I have not felt any pain since January. I feel like I can now call it a full recovery. I am also inspired by the many, many stories of dedication by all the members here. Levels of strength come and go. As long as you are trying, you are also an inspiration.

Alan

3-10

ISG - 3 sets - throughout the day

pm workout

T - 5 reps - r,l

343 - down to 1MM !!

2 - missed both hands

1 - <10 reps

T - 10 reps

How did the 343 get so close? I'm agreeing with others. Finding the right balance of high volume and good rest periods. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Animalcage,

Thanks for posting your workouts...I've been trying your am warmup routine when I can and it seems to help!

Also, the metal ruler for strapholds rocks!!! :rock

Jon@han

Yeah, the metal ruler rocks!!!!

Workouts have varied. My increases with the 343 pushed me to forego other exercises to focus on it. I don't seem to be making progress again, so I'm adding the strapholds back in, in addition to the 343.

am warmup - T,1,2 - 5 reps - r.l

ISG midday - 1 set 5 reps - 9,5 - r,l

pm workout

T - 5 reps - r,l

343 - missed 1mm - r,l

2 - 2.5 lb SH - 10 secs r, 7 secs l

1 - 10 reps

T- 10 reps

03-17

am warmup (0930)- T,1,2 - 5 reps - r,l

noon - #2 - 18 reps right, 8 reps left

1330 - #2 - 10 reps/10 reps