Andy Bolton Pulls 1008

MalachiMcMullen

Just to throw a little gas on the fire...

Konstantinovs is a better deadlifter than Bolton.

-Rex

Not until he lifts more than Bolton he isn't. Unless you are a (near) 300lber talking lb-4-lb!

946 @ 270ish, soon to be 960+ @ same BW. Done on an IPF approved bar, not a DL bar like Bolton used for the 1008. He's the only 275er to get near 950, I believe. Also, Konstantinovs has to improve his DL without going up in BW, as he is in a restricted weight class. Bolton can go up in weight as much as he wants. So this is another thing that is more impressive about Konstantinovs. He can't afford to have any water retention that comes with using some of the more potent "goodies".

Not taking anything away from Bolton. Just stirring up the shit.

-Rex

I'm still a fan of Coan's 903 at 220.

But 1000+ is 1000+ if you weigh 500lbs. There's only the one of him.

Coan is still an amazing lifter. I train at the gym he trains at and sometimes see his crew. Great guy to. I don't think he knows me by name, but he always says hello or waves hello to me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Natural

• mobsterone

• MalachiMcMullen

• twig

I lost some respect for Coan's 900 pound DL when I found out he did it sumo, but he's done at least 865 conventional, so yeah, he's in a class by himself.

-Rex

How many other 900 pound pullers have done it sumo? Probably lots since it is easier :)

I lost some respect for Coan's 900 pound DL when I found out he did it sumo, but he's done at least 865 conventional, so yeah, he's in a class by himself.

-Rex

I pinch sumo. Watch me go. ;)

Edited by mobsterone

How many other 900 pound pullers have done it sumo? Probably lots since it is easier :)

Exactly. Only 1 other that I know of and it was 909 and is the heaviest sumo pull ever.

It's not a matter of whether it's easier or not. Sumo is disgusting because it avoids testing what the deadlift is intended to test. We've already got a lift in p/l meets that tests mainly hip and leg strength. It's called the squat. Sumo lifters use a stance that shifts stress away from the back and to the very muscles that were already tested in the first event. It's just an evasion for those who really aren't interested in having their overall body strength tested. At the end of the meet, the question still remains for these lifters: "Yeah, strong legs and hips. But what about those erectors? What about his back? He got first place, but do we have evidence for thinking his body is really stronger overall?"

-Rex

Let me add that sumo fails too on aesthetic grounds. Watching a sumo deadlift is like watching some warped act in a freak tent. Sumo deadlifters secretly wish they could pull conventional. They know how ugly they look.

-Rex

I'll go further and say that the conventional deadlift and sumo deadlift are not commensurable. It's an apples to oranges comparison. So there should be separate lists for the 900 pound club, depending on the style of pulling used. Grouping them all together mistakenly suggests commensurability.

-Rex

Sumo shortens the ROM too - some of those sumo deads done by shorter guys look like they have the bar moving through only about 12" of ROM

On the lb for lb front - Lamar Gant pulled a conventional 300kg - 5 x bwt at 60kg - he seemed to have extremely long arms though.

edit - this vid prolly not the 5 x bwt but it looks like 255kg (4x50, 2x15(yellow) + 25(bar&collars)?

Edited by thearm95

Sumo shortens the ROM too - some of those sumo deads done by shorter guys look like they have the bar moving through only about 12" of ROM

On the lb for lb front - Lamar Gant pulled a conventional 300kg - 5 x bwt at 60kg - he seemed to have extremely long arms though.

edit - this vid prolly not the 5 x bwt but it looks like 255kg (4x50, 2x15(yellow) + 25(bar&collars)?

It´s 245kg, as the speaker says in swedish.

It´s 245kg, as the speaker says in swedish.

wow he does have incredibly long arms....the bar looks like its just right above his knees when locked out.

• 3 weeks later...