Millennium Dumbbell Comes Off Floor!!

mobsterone

I do not see any kind of a lift in either the pic of John Wood or any of Mobsterone's pics. I am simply challenging Mobsterone to produce a pic of him holding the bell as in John Wood's pic.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

First point: Why? I seem to recall doing so and writing about it some time back. I will perform the lift as suggested if John Wood asks me to and I will take a photo of it. If John so requests me to do so I will ask for a few days to allow my back to heal.

Second Point: If the bell clears both the books and nothing other than the hand is touching and at no time to I claim that it is a one handed dumbbell deadlift what makes it a pivot etc lift? The bell remains tilted. I would have had to pivot one end up then lift it - much harder in fact than what I did.

Third point: I have more than bettered what others have done from the floor - show me a post and or a picture that proves otherwise - using a 2.5 inch handled dumbbell. The tilted method is one I have used for a total of 7 times including training sessions.

Fourth Point: In truth, if memory serves, John wood, to whom I gave kudos, did not claim the lift - Joe did. It was Joe that sent the pic here - please correct me. I gave John the kudos because it is still quite a feat without it being an actual lift. I described in some detail wedging my feet to see if such a method could be used and it was.

Fifth point: I have no pick up - but most everybody has telephone books. Perhaps John, Joe or Oldguy would like to better my efforts, using 272 pounds on a plateloaded db or a 228 pound MDB. then both Rick, myself and all those who have described the lift as great etc will give them the virtual pat on the back - as indeed I will for anyone who does similar or better at the Snowman comp.

Sixth point: unlike another posts where Joe and Oldguy have gone into overdrive, with their last post picking on the name of the lift used by a newbie, I didn't describe my lift as a one handed dumbbell deadlift merely stating it had been lifted.

I'll try and make this my last post on the subject and remind Joe and Oldguy that the board recently had a slowing down of posts and wanna considered shutting it - can either of you recall why that might have been?

Cunny its cos its so damned hard to carry down the stairs (yes two handed before some wag steps in with a comment). Its sits under the coat rack next to the door.

Edited by mobsterone

Guest woody36

Steve, well done on the lift!

Can i just say,when you do make the lift in the prescribed

manner as witnessed by God and the ghost of Desbonnet.

then FFS don't mention it on here!

At least it will be "chemically unassisted", unlike the 300

plus WSM wannabe's that will eventually try.

Edited by woody36

Steve,

Get out military grade binoculars, look far down the line of those

having a chance to equal what you can do with thick bar. See that guy

that is unimpressivley standing last in line? That's me. I am no

strength competition to 90% of those who post here.

If you think that my lack of strength lessens my knowledge and

quality of criticism, then that is your right to think.

But as non-humble as it sounds, I am not last in line of those

able to judge matters accurately, and in fact may be near the

head of the line.

Your humble, weak, servant, Joe. :(

Steve, I will go even further and challenge you produce a pic showing you lifting in a full deadlift an Inch type loadable with 150 to 175 lbs. The bell must be loaded to resemble a globe shape, and the hand must not be braced against the plates. The bell must be straight when lifted not tilted. You must learn to crawl before you can walk. I think you are trying to go too far too soon with your millennium bell.

Mr. Wood is doing a hand-and-thigh lift, with the hand secured against the thigh preventing the bell from rolling out. He also pulled it from the tailgate, at thigh level. He may have walked quite a while with it, I don't doubt this at all. :dry

Mr. Mobster did a ONE HAND DEAD LIFT with the MB! :yikes

I don't see the comparison.

Way to go Mobsterone, your feat of strength is almost uncomprehendable. I'm in awe.

Do I sense 2 toungues firmly wedged in cheeks?

Oldguy I can do what you ask and will attempt to set up a bell thus. Perhaps I can use a 10 kilo discs in the centre of each globe and make the rest up with 5 kilo plates. I'll use 180 pounds or thereabouts and it will be lifted as you desribed. What will you do in return? I can run and walk. I will, as Joe hints, injury allowing, in a very short while, lift the MDB from the floor, not tilted and what will you do then?

Joe. How does one earn the right to shout the loudest. What accuracy are you doubting? I have been nothing less than truthful. Your oh so less than humble servant Mobsterone.

How does one earn the right to shout the loudest? By studying

your posts would be one way.

When you lift the bell level, off flat floor, and stand erect, and I

suspect you will in the future, because I have never questioned your

strength, then you will have the honor not associated with a high

beginning, non erect, deadlift.

But to those who consider that you have already performed a proper one arm deadlift with the MB, no such further range of motion is

required.

I have been following this thread with some interest, largely because of the historical implications. I am dismayed by what appears to be some animosity between Roark and Mobsterone, especially since they seem to be saying the same things:

1) Mobsterone doesn't claim he deadlifted it. Roark agrees.

2) Mobsterone feels it is a great lift worthy of congratulations (and I agree, for whatever that is worth). Roark apparently agrees as well, from his statements and actions. My guess is if mobsterone posted that he closed the No. 2 CoC gripper, there would be a few congratulations and that would be it. But because of the significance of the feat and the importance to record history accurately, Roark has attempted to be as precise and get as detailed information as possible.

3) Both agree no one in the modern era has lifted it as high from as low as what mobsterone did.

4) Both agree no one has deadlifted it in the modern era.

5) Both agree mobsterone would win a grip strength contest between the two : :D

So I don't understand where the apparent tension is coming from?

Mark

#5 is incorrect. :cool

I like Steve, think he is among the best thick bar guys who lives in

his house(just kidding), and fully expect he will not stop until he

does in fact a full range one arm deadlift with the MB. I want him to

succeed. Actually I don't care if he does it before or after anyone at

the Snowman or elsewhere.

In any case, an argument can be made that whoever does it will not be the first but the fifth man to do it, if the bell is a replica of Apollon's

226 pounder, Apollon, See, Vandernocke, and Marx having already lifted it.

I am tiring of vague definitions though, whether they come from Steve

or me or anyone else. And it is further tiresome to argue with people

who do not know what they are talking about, but who assert that they

do when they think what Steve has so far done constitutes the lift we have discussing, that is, a one arm deadlift.

There is tension on my part, but the tension is my death grip on

maintaining definitions and acknowledgements, not against Steve

personally. :inno

Mark gets my vote. I would also agree with Roark that I have not performed a one arm/hand deadlift. I also cannot recall anyone saying that I had... I also agree I would win a grip comp between me and Joe!

ok, so i don't have half the knowledge or experience of most other people here, and in an argument about lifting history or one-handed deadlift technical details, i'd be hopelessly lost...but I did just see a picture of a guy holding a 226# fat-handled dumbbell without it really appearing to rest against his body, even if it wasn't lifted from the floor...personally, i consider that pretty impressive...

i certainly know that i have to put some effort into doing that amount of weight with a well-knurled 1" dumbbell handle...why not accept it as a great demonstration of hand-strength in its own right, and just wait and see what comes next?

-jeff

I have a question. What is the advantage gained by tilting the bell? Is this the first (and hardest?) step in Steve's lift ? I can only get 130lb. to full lockout on my PDA Inch handle, but I always lift it straight up, without a tilt. Would most people benefit from tilting their 'bell?

Again, great lift Steve!

Robert

Edited by RSW

When heavy dumbell shrugs are performed using one inch

handled bells, the tilt can be controlled, so gravity is not the

reason for the tilt, I suspect.

Roark-

Interesting. :shifty I think you are mostly correct. Although, I have noticed on heavy dumbell shrugs, that at the end of the set the bells may tend to tilt even though my grip can hold the weight. This may be that the wrists are taxed and the "levelness" is lost. Just a thought. ;)

-HH

Looking at the pix of Mobster in the gallery with the MDB,

I noticed his hand position on the handle and it is wedged

against the globe that is on the phone books. The force

applied by the hand in this position (and I would suspect the majority of the

hand force is being applied by the middle, ring and pinkey fingers)

would cause the center of gravity of the bell to shift to the globe

on the floor? Therefore a tilt?.

If this concept is viable, maybe one can say that the bell is being dragged off the floor. Mobster, you're one strong Englishter!!!

By the way, does it feel like you are dragging it up? With you being

a policeman, I'm sure you have dragged a few onery chaps once

or twice eh?

Robert,

What is the advantage gained by tilting the bell?

here is what i think: when you tilt the dumbell you short-circuit the balance part of the lift (which is quite hard on a heavy DB, at least for me) therefore allowing your CNS to concentrate on a single task: squeezing the handle. Balance taxes a lot the CNS: it's a very quick succession of inputs (object moves) and outputs (muscular responses to those inputs) so when balance is involved you can't really expect to exert your full strength on the object you are handling !

That's why i would rather compare "tilting the bell" with "steadying the spring" on a gripper. Note that if you can shut a #4 while steadying the spring, you are still VERY strong. That's also what i think about Mobster's lift...

I've already said that i added 10% (11.11 % to be precise :online ) on my thick-handled DB deadlift with steve's technique.

Suppose you add 10% to 205lbs: gives 226lbs...

205lbs is still pretty good.

Of course. The question should be - have I ever been hit? Answer: No. I also have seperated 2 men fighting, saw a man die in front of me in the street while on duty and held another man on the floor while waiting for police to arrive. Such is life...

I've just forwarded a pic of me pulling 186.4 without a tilt for the benefit of Oldguy as per his request and my offer. Now perhaps he'll cough up - doesn't have to of course...

I've just forwarded a pic of me pulling 186.4 without a tilt for the benefit of Oldguy as per his request and my offer. Now perhaps he'll cough up - doesn't have to of course...

Not to me you didn't. There was NO picture attached to your email!