• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

bar daddy - It would seem that the MD is going to be lifted by at least you in the next few months. I'm curious if you have indulged fantisies of what may come after the MD? The jumbo MB? I'm not trying to get the cart ahead of the horse, I'm just curious what the future looks like.

Mike M.

p.s. My money's on you for being 1st to lift the MD. I think you want it more and that's a huge advantage!

Edited by supersqueeze

Great Job Mobster! I am sure you will be doing a strict deadlift in no time.

One question though: Isn't the MDB modelled after the dumbell Apollon performed his near snatch? If so you are trying to be the first to lift a dumbell of those specifications in the modern age.

Robert

Robert,

I was just going to post a comment along the same lines. Mobsterone has accomplished a great feat, no doubt (Congrats, Steve). There are a lot of great grip men alive today (Sorin, Brookfield, and many others who post here). None have yet to do an actual deadlift with this db which, as you pointed out, is a replica of an earlier db of some fame.

So what does that say about the strength of Apollon (who nearly snatched the original, pulling it to about head height) and John Grunn Marx (who could lift the original off the ground with either hand)?

Mark

So what does that say about the strength of Apollon (who nearly snatched the original, pulling it to about head height) and John Grunn Marx (who could lift the original off the ground with either hand)?

Mark

It says that we have a long way to go before we are pushing the envelope of human potential in grip training.

Robert

The bell belonged to Desbonnet at one time, and to Apollon at

another time. Its handle diameter was the same as the ORIGINAL

Inch: 2-3/8", which is also the Millennium bell handle diameter. Weight 226 lbs. So esentially the MB is a replica, though I do not know the

handle length on the Apollon bell.

The bell was referred to [one time]as a barbell and as a dumbell in

the other refs I have seen.

Whatever partial lift Apollon did with it, it went flying OVER his head

and landed behind him. One hand 226 pound shot put, if you will.

Yet, we have doubters wondering IF Apollon could extend the handle

to barbell length, add 140 pounds, and REDUCE the handle diameter

to 2", and with BOTH his 9" long hands, clean and jerk it? Hello?

This is an amazing lack of thinking in my opinion.

Roark,

So you are saying you believe Apollon cj-ed the axle and did the one arm lift? These are not only two great feats of overall body strength but grip strength as well. Based on that, would you consider Apollon the top grip man of all time and what is your opinion of John Grunn Marx compared to modern grip men?

Mark

I'm sending wanna some low res web cam sequential images as we speak... Unlike our mates from history u can see me lifting it.

Yes, to me, Apollon was the grip king, particularly of thick bar,

and I know that in a chat room back then he called himself

'Thick Bar Daddy', but please don't ask for proof. :dry

What should be kept in mind about Apollon is that his 9" hand compared to the 7.5" circumference of the 2-3/8" bar, in the same

ratio as someone having a 7.5" hand length would compare to a

bar circumference of 6", or basically 1.91" diameter.

The Apollon wheels were 1.93" in diameter, so for conversation let's say 2" in diameter or just over 6" in circumference. He still had a

9" hand length. Now the man with a 7.5" hand length needs a bar

3" less in circumference, or a bar of, in general numbers 1.5" diameter.

Apollon SHOULD HAVE been able to play with these bars, and in my view

he could and did play with them.

Marx, from what little I know about him was very close to Apollon,

but Arne would know more than I about JGM.

I have sent wanna some sequential photos. They are however, of low resolution. Wanna feels that some of you (you know who you are) and I agree, will 'It will just generate more questions with how hard it is to see all things clearly in the photos' or to put it more succinctly 'nit pic'. If you want to wait until my aching back heals then better will be available but if you want to see the bell being lifted then pics can be seen now. Please let wanna know.

Thanks Wanna! These were taken on a low res web cam in the hall way of my house. Had the cable from my PC been longer I would have shot a 16 second low res video clip.

I am dressed in the all-weather Met Police trousers we wear in my job and (quite happily spotted my swelling triceps) think that page 2 is the better of the two. As per you'll see my hand placed well back and I have the one leg forward and one back as recommended for one hand deadlifts of dumbbells. The 'free' hand has the elbow resting on the knee. You can see the tilted dumbbell quite well on page one. One end propped up on 2 2-inch thick telephone books (the storage in front is my magazine collection which is both on shelves and in four massive piles on the floor - now in excess of some 3000 items).

In picture 13 I have 'taken a grip' and as can be seen do not bend the arm but lift sraight up with the legs and back (too much with the back as I am still in discomfort and yesterday had to take a day off work).

Pic 16 gives you an idea of how I went as the bell is now in my groin - ball to ball as it were - and even with the 'tilt' there klooks to be at least 15-20 inches of travel. The books are resting on a rubber door mat brought for the purpose of bell lifting and althoughj I daren't drop it the bell comes down heavy.

With my back as it is and those that visit being poor at photos it may be a week or three before better pics become available. I have suggested to wanna that better ones, once ready, can take thier place.

Bob K at Muscle Mag etc and others have asked for pics as well so look to the mags for some glossy pics at a later date.

Cheers

But.

Thought I'd go ahead and get the 'but' in there.

What you have done is amazing. The fact that you can even

hold this bell in that position is congratulatory. So, well done.

But.

I must be missing something regarding the 15 to 20 inches of travel.

We know the diameter of the sphere is less than ten inches, and it

appears that the topmost sphere is not even its own diameter up

from the stack of phone books. In other words, less than ten inches

of travel off the phone books.

But.

I am sincere in saying what a grip you must have to have done what

you have as shown in these photos.

Get well, and get better photos! :D

Roark I'm not as short as you. Look at pic 16. Loads of space between the books (almost out of pic) and the bottom of the bell (nearest body). At 6'3" and with a 32.5" inside leg taking off the 15 inches (6 inches of books and 9" of globe and allowing for an inch or two of 'balls' we're still looking at 12-15 inches of travel. In pics 13 and 14 you can see the space between the top of the globe and the groin is as much as the globe diameter, thats with my legs bent so therefore with them straight there must be a greater difference. I'm not gonna lift it naked and with a ruler to prove a point (ahem!!).

All that said and you have mentioned it its a grip feat of strength using a thick handled bell which no one else has lifted without the bell touching their body (kudos to John Wood) not the best one handed deadlift ever - either for weight and or height.

Edited by mobsterone

Steve,

I acknowledge that I have a difficult time seeing the details.

But.

The white wall is clear. If the MB were vertical against that white wall

we would know where the 24" height of it ended.

So, imagine, tipping the bell over against the wall, and having

it upright.

Anyway, perhaps it is because I cannot see the details clearly.

Perspective will be the same blurry or otherwise. The bell sits in the middle of the books not the far end. Use the middle as the starting point (I could feel the edge against my pinkie) and the criteria given before. The only other way to picture it will be to have the camera at knee level and closer.

Don't get too lost in the detail to miss out on enjoying the feat. :whacked

I've said before that it isn't how high but how much. In training I may only lift it (my practice bell) four-six inches. My back, when healthy can withstand 1080 pounds my hand, wrapped around a 2.5 inch handle, cannot. We know that it isn't touching the body, that 90% of the lift is hand and therefore thumb and fingers, with just the upper part of the movement being legs and back. Therefore I have a) a very strong grip b) lifted more than anyone else here (not dead mind), c) lifted the millennium bell free of my body (again kudos to JW).

Perhaps I should change my sig line to 'I say I've lifted it, Joe says how high - for the record!' :tongue

That is the worst lift I have ever seen of any kind. I am calling it the phonebook lever and pivot lift, whereby you place one end of a heavy globe dumbbell on a huge stack of phonebooks and the lift the other end from the floor. This can be compared to lifting the backend of a car from the ground.

I was awaiting the grippages sage of wisdoms appearence and here he is. Never a kind word when a grouch will do - yes its Oldguy living up to his name. Perhaps thy ancient cockney glasses need a clean. In the lift you describe only one end of the car is lifted.Both ends are clear of the floor and the books.

To do it as it appears I wouid need to lift one end of the car, lean backwards and then tilt the other end up.

In the mean time why not get paid to be a critic as opposed to doing it for free. I'll freely pay you not to :dry

Edited by mobsterone

Mob-

Awesome lift! The critics will have their field day with everything-dont let it bother you or discourage you. You lifted the bell-no one else has. You are The Thick Bar Daddy. Critics say what they may-but can anyone else perform the feat?

Good job-now lift it up to the critics criteria and shove it down their throats! The only person you have to prove anything to is YOURSELF!

Rick Walker :yikes

Edited by Rick Walker

Steve, I challenge you to do what John Wood is doing in this pic. He is not claiming a lift but is clearly holding a millennium bell.

aav.jpg

Edited by OldGuy

Sorry Mobster, but in my book the first guy to lift it will lift it off the ground and straight.

Although send in the pic to MILO, I am sure they would publish it. Heck, send in the dumbbell sitting there and put your hand on it. Then, state you made 10 reps with it.

:laugh:laugh

My guess is that no one else has attempted the MB in the manner

in which Steve performs this lift. Steve's success in the standard flat

off the floor manner matches everyone else's success.

I am hoping that soon we will have clear photos of Steve performing

the lift as shown, and then clear photos of him performing the lift

from flat; the former photos being described as training methods, the

latter as a result of that training.

Correct me if I am wrong. It looks in Oldguys photo that John dragged it off the back of a pickup and was holding it against his body? How is this better then Mobs lift? Mob's is free of his body and is picked up off the ground. And-my biomechanics is a little bit fuzzy but if you are claiming this to be a lever lift-what class lever is it? From my knowledge it looks to be 3rd class. The phone books being the fulcrum-the upward force is applied at the mid point-or handle, and the resistance would then be the bell on the ground. Okay-levers serve many functions but only one is really important for your arguement. That is the act of levers magnifying force. But-in order to have a magnification of force-the force arm must be greater than the resistance arm-which it isnt. Therefore-Mobs setup does not magnify force. Other functions of levers aren't relevant here.

But-why are we even discussing levers?? The whole bell came off the ground-he didnt just pick the end up off the ground and leave the other one on the books. :whacked

Rick Walker :yikes

Edited by Rick Walker