Millennium Dumbbell Comes Off Floor!!

mobsterone

I can hardly beleive it myself but I have just had three solid attempts and suceeded every time.

Right 3 things:

1) I will be getting photos asap. Probably Thursday.

2) I use a tilted method. One end of the bell is resting on three telephone books. I will be going for a more honest from the floor very soon.

3) Why Now? Becuse of the pressure of competition. All this talk about others maybe getting it first made me want it more.

I'm so exciitteedd!! :D :D :D

Let me see if my web cam has a timer...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

Steve,

Congratulations, but some clarification, please.

1. How high did you raise the bell? Full, standing deadlift?

2. According to the rules you outlined the other day "Ideally,

as per OldGuy, the bell will be level but I'd be happy if both

ends come clear off the floor".

3. So, when you BEGAN with a tilt onto three phone books,

was that not starting in a method you did not prefer, but would allow?

(I thought you meant starting level, and if one end tipped, it was

okay but not preferred?)

4. So you have not yet, from the floor, level, lifted the MB?

Not trying to start a debate, just want details, please. And I rush to

add that what you did is an incredible feat of strength.

More than happy to answer :D

On my best effort I managed to get the bell closest to me just under the knee.

The tilted method is not one that I would allow but one that works for me. But now that the mental barrier has been overcome I feel it will be a very short while and I will lift it from the floor (both ends on the ground to begin with).

I had noticed and have posted here that I tend through habit to allow the weight to tilt forward. Recently I posted the same and realised, when I had hit a wall at 260 pounds, that I might be able to start from a tilted position. I tried it and it works and as you know managed 272 pounds.

Now that I have beaten the damned beast I feel sure that a from the floor approach is a matter of a few weeks. Certainly before January 4th :P

Thanks for the clarification, and while I certainly wish you

good fortune in the full deadlift from flat floor, on the other

hand, it would be a thrill of history to see Schoonie do it in

person here!

The race is on!

That sounds like a great training technique, but I'm a little unclear about which end is tilted up on the phone book first, is it the far end or the near end (by your pinky)? I'm able to lift the near end of the PDA replica handle with 172-pounds on it very easily, but getting the second end up is a totally different story. I'm guessing that you put the near end up so that the start of the lift is where I'm ending mine!?

The bell is put with one end on the three books (about 6 inches high). I do this by lifting one globe with two hands. I then chalk up my hands. I bend down and as before wrap my hand around the handle wedging the opposite side to the thumb as tight against the globe nearest to me as possible. It's then lifted from that position. It remains tilted throughout the lift (for now).

Steve,

Make sure you keep hold of those phone books - they could become prized strength memorobilia!!

Congrats on the lift, regardless of how it was done.

Steve,

Getting the MB off the floor, or in this case off phone books

is amazing, but help me understand what exactly took place.

The bell diameter is 9.5 inches, and that was placed atop a 6

inch stack of books. So the top of the sphere in the beginning

position is 15.5 inches off the floor?

From there you tilt-lifted it to just under the knee?

In my case, I would be lifting it, if I could, a total of two inches,

and if the bell remained tilted, then the other sphere must have

just cleared the floor. Is this a correct analysis? :unsure

The tilted method is not one that I would allow but one that works for me.

With all due respect, can you just lift the bell? None of this wedging, tilting, friction, phone book BS. Just a good old fashioned hard squeeze and pull. I saw Richard Sorin and John Wood casually rip an IDB replica (2.47" handle) off the ground using the proper method.

I agree with terminator. I am only impressed with a clean full onehanded deadlift with an Inch type dumbbell. No tricks, and lifting both ends from the floor at the same time. Nothing else counts for me such as taking the bell from a stool and holding it.

Whatever.

Terminator check out the grip gallery: I did the Inch in the method you describe 2 or more years ago.

Edited by mobsterone

I agree with terminator. I am only impressed with a clean full onehanded deadlift with an Inch type dumbbell

Old Guy,

I can't figure out how you can even be impressed with that...

As for me i would only be impressed with a clean and military press of the MDB :D:D

No kidding, i added 10% to my PR on my 2.5 Husky Handle DB with mobster's technique. Yet it is a loadable DB and i expect (if you wanna know why just try it) less gains with a solid DB like the MDB.

So i'm sure Mobster is going to breeze through it.

Amazing feat Mr Gardener.

Steve,

If you are referring to my questions, I was simply trying for clarification, which if you have noticed my posts for the past 18 months is something I tend to do. And frankly, if the post had been offered by someone else, you may well have asked for similar details.

Initial blame can be placed on your post title: The Mb did not come off the floor, it came off a six inch platform. The strength involved to do that is also pounderous, and you deserve kudos for the feat, which I for one freely offer to you. You are among the best thick bar deadlifters on the planet.

But, you have still not answered my questions, and perhaps choose not to. I look forward to seeing the photos, and wish you continued success.

Not sure who you refer to as a pedant, or which of that word's meanings you intended to convey, but you seem a bit overreactive when you zoom to overhead lifts with one finger, when all that was mentioned was that by your own rule the bell should start level on the floor.

Anyway, if this controversy spurs you on to greater strength, that could be a good thing.

Joe my response was edited right down. Only the tiniest part was diretced at you. I will email the starting position of the bell to you so you can get a better idea. I think I am annoyed because I have not claimed to have done it from the floor and have been 100% honest and still get less than I would hope I would give others.

Got the photo, thank you. Why not include it in a post. (If you know my computer skill level, you will not suggest I do that.)

Anyway, an unfortunate heading in your post mentioned floor but as you explain in the post itself, that was not the case. Anyway, that bell is heavy and you have obviously devised a good training method-I

would guess you plan to go to two phone books, then one, then the floor?

Can't recall if you mentioned you can take the bell at standing height

and hold it as John Wood did? If so, have you tried that, then bent over

until you drop it- as a training method. This is just theory to me, but

it may have benefit.

[RANT]

Sh##...Mobster is a MEMBER OF THE BOARD !!

I'm sure it's him we all want to see lift the MDB and not a Schoonveld or a Thompson , somebody or other.

When someone says "i closed the #2 on my leg" there are 50 replies to say "way to go mate", "nice job", "amazing!" and so on... but when a member of the board explains that he can ALMOST lift a legend DB off the ground there's no one to say "way to go!" or "waiting to see you deadlift the beast"...only people not "really impressed" or nitpicking (and i'm not saying that for you Roark...).

So: LIFT THAT SUCKER OFF THE GROUND BY THE END OF THE YEAR MOBSTERONE !!! WE WANT IT !!!

[/RANT]

Just to clarify my feelings.

I would like to SEE it lifted.It is a Historical event(won't be talked about in highschool history books-but very cool event none the less....)

IF it is lifted at the Snowman in Illinois?I can drive a few hours to SEE it lifted..possibly a friend of mine may even budge it?? ;)

I have the upmost respect for Mobsterone!If he gets it first i will genuinely!! be happy for him......But i don't have the duckets to fly over there to see it :whacked thus when I hear about gents with the mit power?I'd like to see them at John beatty's show...thats it.

I hope the Gillinghams show up too(Brad with his approx. 280 rolling thunder?maybe the best chance of any american...It would be cool to have Phil Pfister there!?Mark Henry????(i bet-as a promoter-John would like to see a few of those folks show up too :cool )

I'm still leaning towards Big Tony...we haven't heard from him-what's he up to?- and I think he's been up to more than just making cheesecakes.....?Yum

Joe good idea I'll put that into my training. Tom Kudos to anybody that lifts it from the floor before me but please god I'm first (and when i do someone - anyone says - congrats).

Wanna - its a little dark but it's on its way.

Amaury/Mobster

It's not nationalism. :rolleyes It's nothing personal. :blink

It's Geography. :erm The contest is approximately a 4 hour drive :D Plus the more big freaks the better....Pro strongmen contests are like the WWE(wrestling)except ITS REAL.LOL.