Getting Back Into Heavy Dl's

John Beatty

Last week managed to get a stomach flu, and ended up with a temp of 104. That felt...unusual. Over the coarse of 4 days,

I ate about the same amount of food that I could ordinarily eat in one sitting. Needless to say, I didn't do any lifting :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Beatty

• The Natural

• Magnus

• arande2

Last week managed to get a stomach flu, and ended up with a temp of 104. That felt...unusual. Over the coarse of 4 days,

I ate about the same amount of food that I could ordinarily eat in one sitting. Needless to say, I didn't do any lifting :D

Yeah, my diet has been about 1000-1500 calories too light for the past few days. It sucks.

-Rex

John, I thought of you today. I've had a nasty virus for the past few days--fever, sore throat, chills. Today I decided to go deadlift even though I wasn't fully well. I remembered your entry in this log a while back where you trained sick. So I sucked it up, and hit a PR for the 3x5 set/rep scheme (with 545). After every set, my body temperature started getting all unstable, and I could feel my body saying "STOP". Anyway, I kept on pushing and finished the three sets. I pussed out on the acessory work, as the sicness really started to get to me. Sure, I could have rested a few more days and lifted in a healthy state, but sometimes you have to prove things to yourself.

-Rex

Excellent workout! That's a hell of a workout, especially sick. Seems like when I train sick, I feel better during the workout, then either way worse & sets me back on the healing path, or it seems to burn the illness away. Only problem is I've never been able to learn where that point is. so half the time it makes me sicker. Hope you're feeling better now.

2/4

Deads - 135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 8, 405 x 8, 495 x 5, 575 x 5

Shrugs - 575 x 8 x 2

Bent rows 225 x 8

Quickie bench before work today.

145 x 20, 235 x 10, 325 x 10 x 2

straight bar curls - 145 x 8

Packed & shipped a bunch

Hey John:

I have a question about DL

Almost a month ago, I started doing them, and I have done them once a week. Do you have a recommendation as to when I should start decreasing the frequency of my deadlift?

Hey John:

I have a question about DL

Almost a month ago, I started doing them, and I have done them once a week. Do you have a recommendation as to when I should start decreasing the frequency of my deadlift?

At your age, once a week will be fine until you're about 30-35 years old. I pull about every 8 to 10 days, but that's more a scheduling thing than limitations of recovery.

At your age, once a week will be fine until you're about 30-35 years old. I pull about every 8 to 10 days, but that's more a scheduling thing than limitations of recovery.

Thanks that's all the info I think I need John :cool

Glad to help.

Today -

Deads - 135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 405 x 5, 515 x 5, 595 x 6

shrugs - 495 x 8 x 3

one arm rows - 120 x 8 x 2

• 2 weeks later...

2/21

Deads - 135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 415 x 8, 505 x 5, 585 x 8 - very pleased with that one, wish I'd have put 605 on

shrugs 585 x 8 x 2

bent rows - 225 x 8

2/21

Deads - 135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 415 x 8, 505 x 5, 585 x 8 - very pleased with that one, wish I'd have put 605 on

shrugs 585 x 8 x 2

bent rows - 225 x 8

:blink

As well you should be. Wow.

• 1 month later...

4/7

Not DL's, but a darn good day for bench. I pretty much got up, got the kids to school, drank my smoothie/shake & went to the shop to lift.

145 x 20, 235 x 10, 325 x 10, 345 x 8, 365 x 5

2 sets 145 x 8 on curls, and 35lb db's for rear delts x 8

Edited by John Beatty

Thanks!

I plan to clean out the shop later this week & hit Strongman events this weekend for the first time since Oct. Planning on doing a comp in MN in June. So the old fat guy has to get into shape.

John has a shop that would make all lifters would envy ! Nice workout John !

Edited by HarlanJacobs

There are two ways to get strong, one is time & hard work (the route I believe in), or lots of drugs & hard work (removing most of the time factor - we all know my thoughts on this route). Not very many guys start out a freak, even the genetic monsters generally have to work hard, just not as hard as us that weren't gifted. Bob Hoffman used to say he wouldn't have the gifted guys on his Oly team, because they didn't have the drive that the guys that really had to work for gains. It's never too late to get stronger, and given enough time & hard work, anyone can be freakishly strong compared to the general populace. I took a few years off after HS, started lifting hard again at 21-22 years old, found PL at 25, and went from there. I lost about 5 years to a 90+ hour a week work schedule in my late 20's, and pretty much just maintained what I had, so you could easily be way ahead of everything I've ever done by the time you hit my age, especially if you pulled 400 at 16, you've got a great back to work with. Get to work, my friend, nothing stops you if you don't let it.
Best Post E.V.E.R.