Getting Back Into Heavy Dl's

John Beatty

John,

Dropped by to check out your log. Very impressive.

So... do you ever cut to 231 to compete? Did you get your pro card as HW? I doesn't say on the ASC website.

Thanks, I have just had a long time to train, it's been a very gradual thing.

I never cut to 231, I think I'd lose strength & I'd have to give up eating whatever I like & have to control the diet very closely to get down to that, and I hate diets. I cut weight one time for a PL meet about 15+ years ago & vowed to never do it again.

I'm so old, I turned pro back before there were qualifiers. Basically in 1999, at the nats, we were told that the top 5 places were getting WSM spots. I tied for 5th, figured due to my size, I'd for sure be an alternate, not a chosen guy, but they just picked the guys. A lot of promised stuff didn't happen at that meet. But the thing that did, was that anyone in the top 5 would be considered a pro. Pro status back then was kind of like HG, you did well enough, you chose to turn pro. Or, basically when you started getting invited to the bigger meets that were considered Pro meets. Back then there was no HW/LW pro, just Pro. I was 225 lbs when I turned Pro. The heaviest I ever got was 263. Strong, but no wind.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Beatty

• The Natural

• Magnus

• arande2

Deads yesterday-

135 x 10, 225 x 8, 315 x 8, 415 x 5, 495 x 5, 615 x 4.

Shrugs - 495 x 8 x 2

First pull after having the flu all weekend & Mon, so a little off, but felt pretty good.

Smitty-

Wherever is best, I wasn't sure as it wasn't grip related.

Stomach bug Sun night, Mon, tues a little, feel good & weak, still.

Yesterday - Bench -

145 x 20, 235 x 10, 325 x 9, 6

Rear delt work

Today - Squat

Fronts - 135 x 8, 225 x 5, 315 x 3 - first time in about 2 years

Squats - 315 x 20, 415 x 8, 535 x 3

Some work on calves

I'm whipped. Hopefully that will burn any residual goo out of my system & Fri will be up to speed.

Stomach bug Sun night, Mon, tues a little, feel good & weak, still.

Yesterday - Bench -

145 x 20, 235 x 10, 325 x 9, 6

Rear delt work

Today - Squat

Fronts - 135 x 8, 225 x 5, 315 x 3 - first time in about 2 years

Squats - 315 x 20, 415 x 8, 535 x 3

Some work on calves

I'm whipped. Hopefully that will burn any residual goo out of my system & Fri will be up to speed.

Boo this man! :D

-Rex

:D Funny, Rex!

Today-

Shoulders -

Strict press - 135 x 10, 225 x 8, 265 x 3

Push press - 275 x 5 x 3

Curls - 135 x 8 x 2

Rear delt flyes

• 3 weeks later...

Had a pretty good overhead day yesterday, kind of re-motivated me for that 4 wheels goal I set about 5 years ago.

Strict press - 135 x 10, 225 x 8, 265 x 4

Push press - 295 x 5, 315 x 4, 345 x 1. The 345 kind of surprised me but the 315 was so easy I thought I should try something heavy for a change. If it feels that good next workout, I'll aim for a 365, haven't done that in years.

Finished with a few curls.

I saw you mentioned hyperextentions. I was looking at buying a hyperextention machine but wasn't sure what the best one to get would be. Do you have any suggestions?

I saw you mentioned hyperextentions. I was looking at buying a hyperextention machine but wasn't sure what the best one to get would be. Do you have any suggestions?

Honestly I don't think it matters, I bought a cheap one off ebay, and beefed up the padded area for the thighs, and it works great.

Honestly I don't think it matters, I bought a cheap one off ebay, and beefed up the padded area for the thighs, and it works great.

Cool......I just wanted to be sure if I got a cheaper one I wouldn't regret it.....

• 2 weeks later...
John: ... Well.. What does 300 pounds feel like to you? I'm kinda curious about that

Depends on the lift, really, squat, it's a moderate set of 20. Deads - a light warmup set of 8. Bench - 325 x 12 yesterday, so 300 is moderately heavy, but a good repping set. Push press - heavy sets of 5.

Pretty cool how 300 pounds isn't really that difficult for you to move around, especially like a 150lb/hand farmer's walk...while at the same time, a typical 15 year old thinks being able to move 200 pounds around in any fashion is amazing.. weird to think.

:rolleyes

Pretty cool how 300 pounds isn't really that difficult for you to move around, especially like a 150lb/hand farmer's walk...while at the same time, a typical 15 year old thinks being able to move 200 pounds around in any fashion is amazing.. weird to think.

:rolleyes

I can vaguely remember being 15, and 300 was pretty much a max single squat (did that in 8th grade), didn't bench 300 until 1992, I think, was 25, and wearing a bench shirt. It just takes time & consistent work.

Well you're not average, you're John Beatty!

Welcome to now! And keep going, 800 :rock

800 pound weighted pull-ups.

Funny! Heck, I'm barely able to pull myself up for 10 pullups anymore, much less with added weight.

Ok, back to the origins of this thread. Yesterday-

Deads - 135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 8, 425 x 8, 505 x 5, 565 x 8

Shrugs - 565 x 8 x 2

Better....

gee willikers! I knew you were strong John, but I didn't realize you were this strong!!! :bow

I'll be watching this one fo sho

I can vaguely remember being 15, and 300 was pretty much a max single squat (did that in 8th grade), didn't bench 300 until 1992, I think, was 25, and wearing a bench shirt. It just takes time & consistent work.

John, it is very motivational to hear these things from a guy as strong as you are now. I feel like I am getting a late start on this stuff now even at 25. I wish I had continued from where I was at when I was 16 and I hit 400 in the deadlift. I am always lamenting about where I might be at now if I had not stopped lifting. But it is good to know that you were not far off from me now at 25 and there is still plenty of time and progress in store for me.

I don't mean to sound silly to the older guys on here talking about being 25 and all but when I see what some high school kids are doing now I feel sort of foolish in a way.

John, it is very motivational to hear these things from a guy as strong as you are now. I feel like I am getting a late start on this stuff now even at 25. I wish I had continued from where I was at when I was 16 and I hit 400 in the deadlift. I am always lamenting about where I might be at now if I had not stopped lifting. But it is good to know that you were not far off from me now at 25 and there is still plenty of time and progress in store for me.

I don't mean to sound silly to the older guys on here talking about being 25 and all but when I see what some high school kids are doing now I feel sort of foolish in a way.

Tim-

There are two ways to get strong, one is time & hard work (the route I believe in), or lots of drugs & hard work (removing most of the time factor - we all know my thoughts on this route). Not very many guys start out a freak, even the genetic monsters generally have to work hard, just not as hard as us that weren't gifted. Bob Hoffman used to say he wouldn't have the gifted guys on his Oly team, because they didn't have the drive that the guys that really had to work for gains. It's never too late to get stronger, and given enough time & hard work, anyone can be freakishly strong compared to the general populace. I took a few years off after HS, started lifting hard again at 21-22 years old, found PL at 25, and went from there. I lost about 5 years to a 90+ hour a week work schedule in my late 20's, and pretty much just maintained what I had, so you could easily be way ahead of everything I've ever done by the time you hit my age, especially if you pulled 400 at 16, you've got a great back to work with. Get to work, my friend, nothing stops you if you don't let it.

Edited by John Beatty

Hey John,

Great post and lifting. It's easy to circum to the allure of taking the easy way out, but the only way to play it for the long haul is to follow the advice you have given

You lift high weight for reps, Is that how you built your DL? Did you ever work heavily with singles or triples? How have you adjusted your training when you plateaued?

Thanks again John.

Hey John,

Great post and lifting. It's easy to circum to the allure of taking the easy way out, but the only way to play it for the long haul is to follow the advice you have given

You lift high weight for reps, Is that how you built your DL? Did you ever work heavily with singles or triples? How have you adjusted your training when you plateaued?

Thanks again John.

I've never really worked below a triple in the gym, 5's seemed to work well for me, if you skim through the earlier posts I wrote out a routine that was one of my best programs and that finished with a heavy triple. The last few years I've been mostly working heavy 8's & some 5's, as Strongman uses a lot of heavy repping events. My best ever was 605 x 8 with just a belt & chalk (did that twice actually). I've always been way better with reps than maxes, so that fits for me.

John, I thought of you today. I've had a nasty virus for the past few days--fever, sore throat, chills. Today I decided to go deadlift even though I wasn't fully well. I remembered your entry in this log a while back where you trained sick. So I sucked it up, and hit a PR for the 3x5 set/rep scheme (with 545). After every set, my body temperature started getting all unstable, and I could feel my body saying "STOP". Anyway, I kept on pushing and finished the three sets. I pussed out on the acessory work, as the sicness really started to get to me. Sure, I could have rested a few more days and lifted in a healthy state, but sometimes you have to prove things to yourself.

-Rex