Getting Back Into Heavy Dl's

John Beatty

Good training day Sunday, finally have my nerve pinch rehabbed (accursed old age crap), been annoying me for over a year. Hit DL's for 145 x 10, 235 x 8, 325 x 8, 415 x 5, 505 x 5, 605 x 5. Stiffs on a box - 325 x 8, 375 x 5. a set of rows & a couple sets shrugs. Feel really good about the 605 set, plan to hit 8 reps then start adding some weight.

And on a mild hangover to boot!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Beatty

• The Natural

• Magnus

• arande2

Nice pulling John! :rock

:blink Yes John!!! Glad to see your ready to go heavy again!

Thanks, guys, appreciate the support. I've been fighting this nagging pinch in my right hip. It's not a grinding, or muscle, very much a nerve pinch. I think I'd been skipping my stiff leg deads most of the time due to time constraints, and had moved my squat in narrow for a few years. I don't think these things in combination did me any favors. I'm bowlegged naturally & I was rolling my knees out a bit on DL's, I think it did a little shifting in my hip alignment. For a while, at the worst, I could barely get 550 off the ground. Once up the first time I could get 5-6, but just very weak at the first pull. Once I got the inner thigh musculature & hams back up to speed, I noticed the pain much lessened, now it's pretty much gone. So the 800lb is tentatively back in the future. I got invited to compete in the Arnold Classic DL comp by Brad Gillingham, but my schedule just wouldn't allow me to hit a qualifier (needed to do 750). I'm going to give it my all & see what I can do in a year, maybe try to get to a qualifier & aim for 800+ in March 2010 on the big stage at the Arnold.

800. :rock

I look forward to following your workouts, John.

Squats yesterday, not much, but feeling good about the complete lack of pain in the hip.

135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 20, 405 x 10, 545 x 3, light wraps & belt on the 545 only.

And today my least favorite workout, the bench.

135 x 20, 225 x 10, 315 x 12, 365 x 5

Quickie, as I was doing sets between personal training client's sets.

And today my least favorite workout, the bench.

135 x 20, 225 x 10, 315 x 12, 365 x 5

Quickie, as I was doing sets between personal training client's sets.

Strong!! :rock

Yesterday - Deads

145 x 10, 235 x 10, 325 x 8, 415 x 8, 505 x 5, 605 x 5

Stiffs(to toes) - 325 x 8, 355 x 5, 375 x 5

Shrugs - 505 x 8 x 2

Bent rows - 235 x 8

Today - Shoulders

Strict press - 145 x 10, 235 x 5, 275 x 3

Push press - 285 x 5, 305 x 5 x 2

Curls on Oly bar - 145 x 8 x 2

rear delt flyes

Man, just reading this makes me wanna lift. I haven't been able to have a good solid workout for over 2 months :cry Your shoulder press is crazy :whacked

Yesterday -

Bench - 145 x 20, 235 x 10, 325 x 12, 10, 9

Incline - 235 x 8, 275 x 5

straight bar curls - 145 x 8 x 2

Rear delt flyes - 35 x 8 x 2

I'm between 245 & 250. I trimmed down to 240 last fall & my pants were falling off, decided the current weight was better. Feel good & don't have to buy new clothes, just a belt. I think my training is good, just have to get on the cardio more regularly.

I really want to make a covert run at pro nats in 2 1/2 years after my wife is done with school, I put my pro card on hold with Dione, and next year my wife will be in school full time plus days, and my youngest will be in school, so my gym time can increase if I want, so I may try to get in really good shape, cardio included, and see what I can do. Like to make finals at nats one last time. Then retire to masters forever.

STRONG log here! WOW! Numbers are incredible! Sounds like you love deadlifting as much as I do! HAHA and your bench numbers are sick as well! Great stuff! I look forward to reading more!

Yesterday -

Bench - 145 x 20, 235 x 10, 325 x 12, 10, 9

Incline - 235 x 8, 275 x 5

straight bar curls - 145 x 8 x 2

Rear delt flyes - 35 x 8 x 2

325 for 12! No wonder you can crush down anything :rock

John,

What should an amateur strongman be shooting for (a HW) for the military press and push press? This is a weakness of mine that I plan to attack in full-force once I get to Arlington.

Thanks,

-Rex

John,

What should an amateur strongman be shooting for (a HW) for the military press and push press? This is a weakness of mine that I plan to attack in full-force once I get to Arlington.

Thanks,

-Rex

Rex-

The am's are insane anymore. Last meet I went to that had a max, I think the high am number was close to 350, but there were some big pressers there in both ams & pro's. I'd say as a heavy am, you need a log solidly over 330 as a max, I'd say around 350 honestly to be at the top end at most bigger comps. You'll do pretty well at most meets with a 320-330, probably 1st or 2nd, but as far as reps, Log 310 for 3-6. It's getting pretty amazing as far as all the events go, I can remember when a 275 log for 10 would be at the top of pro Nats, now it's expected to be that many reps with 330.

Axle - I'd say a max of 320 will do you pretty good at just about any meet, and 285 for 5-6 reps will be good, too.

Wicked-

thanks, Deads have been my favorite since jr high

Josh -

Thanks to you, too. My overhead & bench have been forever arriving at a moderate level. Once you watch Brian Schoonveld do 315 for 25-30 reps, a 12 rep set seems kinda girly. I've seen him push press 315 for 16 reps before, & I think he's done 19-20 before, I'll have to ask him. It's all in your scale, I guess. I DL'd 550 for 14 & had 15 2 inches from lock when the time ran out (90 sec), then watched Mark Philippi pull 15 in 30 sec, kind of took the wind out of my sails. When I asked him what he was shooting for before he went he said "I only have to pull 15 to beat you, right?" Ouch. I did a nice "I'm not worthy" kneel & bow after he finished that embarrassed him a bit, so felt better then. Like I said, it's all in your scale.

Oh yeah -

12/1

squats - a rush workout

145 x 10, 235 x 10, 335 x 20, 415 x 10, 505 x 5

12/4

Overhead

Strict press - 145 x 10, 235 x 6, 275 x 3

Push press - 285 x 5, 305 x 5, 325 x 3

Curls - 145 x 8 x 2

rear delt flyes

12/5 - quickie dead workout

145 x 10, 235 x 8, 325 x 8, 415 x 8, 505 x 5

Shrugs - 505 x 8 x 2

Big John... I'm curious as to your advice.

I've been plugging away at 700 in the deadlift for awhile now and am still stuck with 675...and have been for about a year and no matter what I do it doesn't budge and I don't want to get into a suit to do it. Ideas? Suggestions? I thought about doing some heavy negatives or walk outs and starting from the top position to get a handle on it. My grip is there.. my hams are there. My hips need work but that's coming along no problem. I'm now pushing sets of 10 up to 585 in hopes that rep work will give it a shot too. Thanks brutha

Big John... I'm curious as to your advice.

I've been plugging away at 700 in the deadlift for awhile now and am still stuck with 675...and have been for about a year and no matter what I do it doesn't budge and I don't want to get into a suit to do it. Ideas? Suggestions? I thought about doing some heavy negatives or walk outs and starting from the top position to get a handle on it. My grip is there.. my hams are there. My hips need work but that's coming along no problem. I'm now pushing sets of 10 up to 585 in hopes that rep work will give it a shot too. Thanks brutha

This was the workout I was doing when I hit 705 the first time. It's 8 weeks. do normal warm ups for deads - 135 x 8, 225 x 8, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, then the work set. Add a double with 495, and a single at 585 at week week 7 as the last warm up at week 4

Deads - Start by picking a goal triple for the last week, if you're at 675 for a single, then say start with 655 as your goal

Wk1 - 470 x 16-20

wk2 - 505 x 14-16

wk3 - 530 x 12-14

wk4 - 555 x 9-11

wk 5 - 580 x 7-8

wk 6 - 605 x 5-6

wk 7 - 630 x 4-5

wk 8 - 655 x 3+

1st - 4th weeks off a 2" box

weeks 5-6 off a 1" box

weeks 7-8 from the floor

rack pulls - 2" below the knees with 50lbs over your finishing DL set

at knee level - same as above

2" above knee level at 100lbs over the last DL set

- rack pulls are 1 set of 5 at each height, dead stop on the pins each rep

stiff legs (on a 4" box) - 315 x 8, 365 x 5, 405 x 5 - go up as you can, I pulled a last week set at 495 x 5, on a box, touching the toes each rep.

Hyperextentions - with a 100lb plate - x8, x5

Shrugs - heavy, whatever you do x8, x5, x5

This is more than I do now, but I'm old & this kind of volume seems a bit much, I hit 705 the first time in my mid-late 20's, so you may need to adjust a little if you're older & feel the volume level's too much. Good Luck & let me know what you think!

John,

Dropped by to check out your log. Very impressive.

So... do you ever cut to 231 to compete? Did you get your pro card as HW? I doesn't say on the ASC website.