What Is Your Best Curl Numbers?

Robert Bishop

thats a bunch of BS about the guy at the desk, or are you really scary?

haha

any way heres a video of me when i was outside freezing doing some curls and one arm clean and jerk there both on the same video, i cant seperate the two lifts. its only 135 but i hadnt done any curls for months before that.

rico

That's pretty impressive - never was much of a clean and jerk guy myself.

The guy behind the counter is a smart kid - a college student with a very tough major but I think he's a little off. Another member said he didn't think the LifeStyle Machine was close to free weights - my guess is that it would be around 80%.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• Robert Bishop

• Magnus

• Pancake Sprawl

I used to do cheat hammer curls on a 2.5'' dumbell - mainly as a way of training for the inch, other thick bells and so on. Best i managed was 4 reps at 50kg and 1 rep at 60kg. I also cheat hammer curled and the baby 53kg inch dumbell for 3 reps Paul Savage and te mob saw me do this. I haven't trained biceps for a while because when combined with heavy grip work and benching it's a good way of getting tendonitis.

My best ez curl 202 in a contest under strict nasa rule's my best one arm dumbell curl 105lbs that's knee's locked standing erect arm hanging to the side no dip no dive strict. I bring the dumbell past the leg hammer style as soon as it clear's the leg turn it into a full curl ! Now that was before I lost 90lbs not there now ! O my best rep's 75lb dumbell right 15 easy left 12 was a effort but these were strict fashion !

• 3 weeks later...
I was feeling a little sore from pull-ups a few days ago so didn't go all out today.

A typical training session consists of "240 pounds" holds right and "190 pounds" holds left for up to 30-seconds. Instead, repetitions were done in place of “holds" today:

50 x 25

80 x 15

120 x 10R

160 x 5R

170 x 7R

170 x 3R

120 x 26R

80 x 10L/20R

As of a few weeks ago, my best left was 160 x 2 - a great increase since not too long ago, I could not touch 120. As of late, tendonitis set in, so had to cut back on training left.

I had the best arm workout ever today with that same Lifestyles Machine.

Thick Bar One Armed Machine Curl:

50 x 25

80 x 15

120 x 10

160 x 5R/2L

180 x 6R [!!!]

130 x 33R/20L [!!!]

80 x 15

I had previously put 180 x 1 on Youtube - to get six with that same weight is off the charts.

A few months back, I could not do 120 with my left - to do 130 x 20 far exceeded expectations and to do 130 x 33 right was far more than anticipated since two weeks ago, I was happy to do 120 x 26.

I am about two weeks into my Creatine cycle. Next week I will hit the V-Bar Pull-Ups super heavy and in two weeks film. My goal: 180 x 8R and 130 x 40R.

Edited by G-Man

Jeepers :blink

Any idea what your strict standing db/barbell curl is at the moment?

I have no idea as I have no done strict curls of any type in many, many years. I have found over and over again that it's raw intensity more than anything else that builds power.

That's not to say everything I do is in loose form - I started doing strict upright rows and it really develops the traps very well. So I would say, so strict if you want build a nice body for the beach but if you're interested in pure power, raw intensity seems to work best.

on a strict competition curl.. 185 or higher is a big deal..but they're done on the ez bar, not the barbell

on a strict competition curl.. 185 or higher is a big deal..but they're done on the ez bar, not the barbell
I agree ! :D

I agree ! :D

When I was 14, I cheat curled 185 on a barbell (full ROM too) - I was the orginal powabuilda. :D

On an unrelated note, the tendonitis in my left arm was really acting up today - could not even do those 75-pound strict EZ-Bar upright rows. :(

My best ez curl 202 in a contest under strict nasa rule's my best one arm dumbell curl 105lbs that's knee's locked standing erect arm hanging to the side no dip no dive strict. I bring the dumbell past the leg hammer style as soon as it clear's the leg turn it into a full curl ! Now that was before I lost 90lbs not there now ! O my best rep's 75lb dumbell right 15 easy left 12 was a effort but these were strict fashion !

beastly!

my curl is sadly terrible.

I have no idea as I have no done strict curls of any type in many, many years. I have found over and over again that it's raw intensity more than anything else that builds power.

That's not to say everything I do is in loose form - I started doing strict upright rows and it really develops the traps very well. So I would say, so strict if you want build a nice body for the beach but if you're interested in pure power, raw intensity seems to work best.

Yeah, I loosen up the form on several things things, too. But I've gotten the best gains from mixing power and strict form, though.

beastly!

I believe you , but id like to see a video of that for some proof

Rico

beastly!

I believe you , but id like to see a video of that for some proof

Rico

lmao :D :D

lifts done in competition don't need video proof. Thats taking it to far. A competition lift is more legit than someone doing a video of them in their garage or basement.

Edited by Strongmantobe

• 2 weeks later...
I was feeling a little sore from pull-ups a few days ago so didn't go all out today.

A typical training session consists of "240 pounds" holds right and "190 pounds" holds left for up to 30-seconds. Instead, repetitions were done in place of “holds" today:

50 x 25

80 x 15

120 x 10R

160 x 5R

170 x 7R

170 x 3R

120 x 26R

80 x 10L/20R

As of a few weeks ago, my best left was 160 x 2 - a great increase since not too long ago, I could not touch 120. As of late, tendonitis set in, so had to cut back on training left.

I had the best arm workout ever today with that same Lifestyles Machine.

Thick Bar One Armed Machine Curl:

50 x 25

80 x 15

120 x 10

160 x 5R/2L

180 x 6R [!!!]

130 x 33R/20L [!!!]

80 x 15

I had previously put 180 x 1 on Youtube - to get six with that same weight is off the charts.

A few months back, I could not do 120 with my left - to do 130 x 20 far exceeded expectations and to do 130 x 33 right was far more than anticipated since two weeks ago, I was happy to do 120 x 26.

I am about two weeks into my Creatine cycle. Next week I will hit the V-Bar Pull-Ups super heavy and in two weeks film. My goal: 180 x 8R and 130 x 40R.

On Saturday, I did the following (right arm only because of tendonitis in the left):

50 x 25

80 x 15

120 x 10

180 x 7

140 x 26

120 x 10

80 x 15

I even taped the 180 and the 140 sets - but the USB connection on the camera died so it cannot be uploaded. Don't buy PureDigital cameras - they are garbage! I bought mine two years ago, used it less than 20 times and the USB connection DIED.

When I get 190 x 10, I might consider buying a new camera though ... :rock

Edited by G-Man

• 1 month later...

A little weaker today, but this was taped:

One Armed Thick Bar Machine Curl 190 x 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459vCaOwubs

I think throwing a set of 160 x 6 before this was a mistake and maybe cut off a rep or two.

I'll go back to heavy, thick-V-bar pullups and heavy holds before trying 190 again. Maybe give it a month?

• 1 month later...

One Armed Thick Bar Machine Curl 190 x 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhPHjCfXJI...re=channel_page

One Armed Thick Bar Machine Curl 170 x 20 (video phone ran out on 18th rep)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIhGbS2zOA

I think my arms are stronger than ever now. :rock

I finished up with 100 x 35 (left) and 100 x 40 (right) and almost threw up - One hour later, and my arms feel GREAT.

I think I've got the hang of this now:

Week #1

Endless sets of thick bar machine curl static holds

Week #2

Endless sets of heavy weighted thick bar pulls ups

Endless sets of machine hammer curls

Week #3

See how much you can curl now ... :D

Garrett are you gonna enter a tourney anytime soon with your newfound strength!?

Not yet, Arturo - want to get a little stronger here and then transition back to free weights - and at some point, try the Inch. :)

What actually made the difference was, believe it or not, training backpressure seriously (at nearly the same level I've been training side pressure). I never trained back pressure very much all these years, but doing so actually made me stronger overall in the arms.

Last week, I did 17 sets for back and arms - many sets of thick bar weighted V-Bar pull-ups followed by the thick bar hammer machine hammer curls. That really made my arms stronger - got the idea from ... the Devon video ... :D

I DO want to get back on the table again, but just not yet ... ;)

Edited by G-Man

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first time with this kind of weight and a lot easier than expected.

Nothing builds up raw power without tearing up the joints than heavy holds and negatives.

I plan on trying 295-pounds in about three weeks.

One Armed Thick Bar Machine Curl Hold: 265-pounds - 20 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tp2LvON_68

55kg*9 with a log (the kind of log used in strong man comps). I´ll be trying some curls with a home made, smooth, none revolving apollons axle next week. Just started curling again since I got talked into competing in strongman.

Hi guys,

very impresive lifts you have here! I started standing oly barbell curls after a long time and I could use

some motivation to lift a little bigger.

I don't use strict form and because of the cheating I call my curls CHEATING curls. :rolleyes

So, yesterday I CHEATED curl 100kilos(220) for 2 reps.

My hammer curl sucks!

Not sure what (fresh) max is on these because I normally do these after an hour or so of heavy thick bar pull-ups.

Today, I did 13 sets of those pull-ups (10 sets with a 45-pound plate around waist) prior to the machine hammer curls. I maxed with 130 x 2 right arm and got 100 x 15 right and 100 x 5 left.

Here's the final set ...

"Ain't got no backpressure": One-Armed Thick Bar Machine Hammer Curl - 50 x 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SwGDn7kmIc

Soooo weak ... : :ohmy

Edited by G-Man

I hit single arm dumbbell hammer curls for 120x7, done in reasonable form on 24' bars. I don't normally do barbell curls, but have done 200 for a few reps without much of a problem with a little swing in there. I preceded those with a Franco Colombo tip that one should warm up the wrists with a set of alternating dumbbell curls before doing straight bar curls.