What Is Your Best Curl Numbers?

Robert Bishop

for me i have tried and done 150 one arm concentration curls with both arms but i have not used a straight bar because of AW in which i like to work each arm individualy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• Robert Bishop

• Magnus

• Pancake Sprawl

Rob, are we talking "concentration curls" like one would see the average gym rat doing? Or the AWer version?

I've managed a table curl with 100 each arm. Strict Hammers with 60lb. for 20.

its really very difficult to quantify curls becuase of the many variations and amount of body movement etc, I use upto a 40kg dumbell or 75kg on the e-z bar on the preacher for a few which I guess are the strictest type I do although I was introduced by David Horne to doing e-z bar curls standing with back flat against the wall and these were very strict, we both did about 18 reps with 57.5 kg and I would guess my 1rm would be somewhere between 80-100kg although I havn't given it a go yet.

I would make fun of the scream. But I would compliment the lift.

I seriously need to learn how to edit videos so I can throw a music soundtrack over some of these clips. :blush

From tonight ...

One armed machine curl 180 x 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BI3l7EXuyA

I am shooting for 190 within a month - maybe multiples (if possible)?

Dang that's good :rock How about the left arm?

I seriously need to learn how to edit videos so I can throw a music soundtrack over some of these clips :blush

I've got the perfect song for you! Because I know how much you love this one :D

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=N-C57XV1hbQ&...feature=related

sweet sepultura shirt. and good lift :)

rofl. the ironmind song. hahaha

Edited by Yersinia

i bet thats the song u get on that captains of crush cd Ironmind is selling :D

About 28kg for 8 reps either hand concentration curled (full range), 50kg x 6 x 3 pretty strict form with a hammer curl grip barbell (at 69kg b/w)

I can do some much higher numbers with aw style curls tho, but I'm still struggling to work out what "proper" form is for these lifts!

From tonight ...

I seriously need to learn how to edit videos so I can throw a music soundtrack over some of these clips :blush

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :D :D :D :D That song reminds me of a cheesy 80's rap with distorted guitars mixed in!!

Edited by Foxman

Thanks - I did 100 x 10 left that night, so maybe max is around 130? I know - I am lopsided. :blush

LMAO!!!

Actually, I was listening to this when I did that lift:

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=1h6136zZq6I

:rock

for me i have tried and done 150 one arm concentration curls with both arms but i have not used a straight bar because of AW in which i like to work each arm individualy

ROB CAN YOU CLARIFY HOW YOU DID THE CURL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A EASY CURL BAR

155 x 8 regular curls on an Oly bar. Pretty strick for the first 5-6, maybe a little swing on the last couple.

ROB CAN YOU CLARIFY HOW YOU DID THE CURL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A EASY CURL BAR

one arm with elbow against the leg but it wasnt what i would call strict. I did 115 left handed for nine reps but i dont do con- curls all the time and hardly ever right handed but my right is a little stronger on curls. The curls i do lately is on a preacher bench one armed with a low cable. The reason i like these is the angle plus it has resistance at the top

I've done a 100# db for 9 or 10 reps, years ago, Rustam B style. Honestly, ever since I got the bands from Elite, I don't even curl. The closest thing would be kind of a table curl/coming out of the hole, on my AW table, with the bands.

• 3 weeks later...
From tonight ...

I can't believe I actually got 190 x 1 today - very happy to have done this - and was with that same Sepultura shirt. :D

The last time I tried, I could not even do 120 x 1 with my left. Tonight, I got 120 x 7 left. I also did 150 x 7 right. Right got stronger and left made a quantum leap forward.

On the down side, Front Desk Guy chastised me for yelling - this was "scaring members." This was the second time in the past two weeks I heard from a Front Desk Guy about being, "too hardcore."

Will try to tone it down going forward - and maybe drop it down to 160 x sets of 5-7.

• 3 months later...
From tonight ...

I can't believe I actually got 190 x 1 today - very happy to have done this - and was with that same Sepultura shirt. :D

The last time I tried, I could not even do 120 x 1 with my left. Tonight, I got 120 x 7 left. I also did 150 x 7 right. Right got stronger and left made a quantum leap forward.

On the down side, Front Desk Guy chastised me for yelling - this was "scaring members." This was the second time in the past two weeks I heard from a Front Desk Guy about being, "too hardcore."

Will try to tone it down going forward - and maybe drop it down to 160 x sets of 5-7.

I made a quantum leap forward with this exercise. Today I got 160 x 12 [!!!] and 160 x 7 right and 150 x 1 left. I finished up with 100 x 15 left and 100 x 30 right.

How does this compare with free weights? One guy said it was in the ballpark and another guy said not even close. My best guess would be 160 would be like a 120-pound dumbbell, although by no means a perfect comparison because the machine gives continuous tension and it controls the motion.

Why such a big jump? The last training session was about three weeks ago and I did mostly holds for time - 120-pounds and try to hold it for one minute or longer. This seems to have made a difference more than anything else. My weight is down too - about 245.

Going forward, I am going to try doing holds of 30+ seconds with 200+ pounds with each arm.

Edited by G-Man

• 2 months later...

I was feeling a little sore from pull-ups a few days ago so didn't go all out today.

A typical training session consists of "240 pounds" holds right and "190 pounds" holds left for up to 30-seconds. Instead, repetitions were done in place of “holds" today:

50 x 25

80 x 15

120 x 10R

160 x 5R

170 x 7R

170 x 3R

120 x 26R

80 x 10L/20R

As of a few weeks ago, my best left was 160 x 2 - a great increase since not too long ago, I could not touch 120. As of late, tendonitis set in, so had to cut back on training left.

I want to be able to rep stack of 190 for like five or six and put that up on YouTube.

Here's a bicep shot after training - down to 240-pounds at 5', 11":

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/gst...pg?t=1242946745

Edited by G-Man

From tonight ...

thats a bunch of BS about the guy at the desk, or are you really scary?

haha

any way heres a video of me when i was outside freezing doing some curls and one arm clean and jerk there both on the same video, i cant seperate the two lifts. its only 135 but i hadnt done any curls for months before that.

rico