Az Cactus Grip Shootout Ii

acorn

Well I am planning on putting another one on in February. Date is not set yet but I thought I would put this up to let guys possibly plan for it.

I have a few events I plan to do but still have 1-2 open events that I thought you guys could give ideas for. Braced Bending at my most recent comp was a ton of fun to do and one of the best spectator events I've seen IMO so its definately in as well. I've done axle in the last 2 comps so prolly wont do it in the upcoming one. other things are open though. Even a medley. I'm hoping to get 10+ competitors again. Comments please.

Here are the planned events

Grippers calibrated MMS

2HP euro style Calibrated

Unbraced Bending

Braced Bending

Thanks,

Aaron

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acorn

• Paul Knight

• vikingsrule92

• The Natural

I think I might just have to figure a way to make it to that one too :laugh - not around V-day is it?

I had soooo much fun at the last one that I don't think I could miss

Edited by Paul Knight

I think I might just have to figure a way to make it to that one too :laugh - not around V-day is it?

I had soooo much fun at the last one that I don't think I could miss

Cool, yea definately not the week of V-Day. I would get a beating.

- Aaron

I still say we should join the rest of the comps and have a badass medley :D Or maybe 2" Vbar again? Axle? Or something more unusual?

Isn't it Arizona Cactus Grip Showdown?

Farmer's Hold, 300 pounds in each hand. For time.

This will separate the wheat from the chaff pretty well. Common test of grip strength in strongman. I figure that some overlap with another strength sport can only lend credibility to our claims to great grip strength.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Farmer's Hold, 300 pounds in each hand. For time.

This will separate the wheat from the chaff pretty well. Common test of grip strength in strongman. I figure that some overlap with another strength sport can only lend credibility to our claims to great grip strength.

-Rex

:rock :rock :rock

hmm, considering rolling thunder style farmers walk for distance. Prolly 2 or 3 weight levels. Any thoughts?

- Aaron

hmm, considering rolling thunder style farmers walk for distance. Prolly 2 or 3 weight levels. Any thoughts?

- Aaron

very cool - I like! can we do differnt weight combos? ie.. more weight in my right than my left or do they need to be simetrical?

- Aaron

very cool - I like! can we do differnt weight combos? ie.. more weight in my right than my left or do they need to be simetrical?

I would think it would have to be symetrical. It is a FW and one side being heavier would put the competitor in an akward position for the walk.

Sounds good. I'm not sure about the different weight levels. It seems like it would be difficult to compare a 100' FW with 100 pounds in each hand to a 60' FW with 140 in each hand. Apples to oranges and all that.

-Rex

Maybe just have a total weight walked - so if I have 110 pounds in my right and 90 in my left, then we could say, I walked 200lbs - watcha think? not exactly sure how this works, would a weight be choosen and then the winner is who walks the furthest, or is there an allocated distance and its who completes that distance w/the most weight?

I was thinking symmetrical weight (which hurts me too my left is weak as hell on these) and just distance. If we go with a lighter weight like 100# per side we will prolly have to do a turn. I was thinking like 100# and 150# per hand but that was just a thought. if we went with a lighter weight then prolly do use a weight that the weakest competitor could barely lift. Something like that. This is just brainstorming btw, not an official event yet. Would love to hear other ideas as well. Medleys are fun but I think the braced bending event will be just as fun to do and watch if not more based on the last contest. I dont even like braced bending and I had a great time doing it and watching.

- Aaron

I would like to get input on the date from any potential competitors. Possible dates are Feb. 23rd or March 1st 2009. I would love to have 10+ competitors this time so please weigh in here if you have any interest in coming.

- Aaron

Feb 23rd is cool for me

actually - either would be fine for me

Edited by Paul Knight

I don't think I have an issue with either. But I don't have my dad's work calender yet so if one of those is one of his weekends off it would be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking on this 5th event question a bit more and had another idea I wanted to put forward.

How about a Gripstacle course.

Numerous of medley type challenge pieces in a specific order for time. A miss on an item would add 5 or 10sec to your total time. That way people who maybe couldnt get all of the tests done, but what they could do was fast they could move up in the placing. Seems better to me than trying to come up with a fair points scale for easy thru hard tests. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

Also, can I get a list of people who might have some interest in coming? At this point I have maybe 4 including myself and thats just not enough to consider even doing this contest.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Aaron-

I know I won't be at your comp, but I've thought alot about medley judging. A few things-

1. I prefer medleys where the difficulty seperates the competitors, not time. In strongman time works nice, but there aren't many slow, grinding grip lifts where time gives a good performance indicator. In other words, it makes things harder to balance. If everyone in your contest gets the same 5 implements, a tiebreaker could be a matter of a couple of seconds seperating 5 or more place.

2. There is no need to scale events for difficulty, if one person does 5 events and the other does 4, the person who does 5 wins. There are too many variables to even bother scaling difficulty. I would only do so for near identical implements, ie if you have 5 blobs, the person who loads the hardest gets all the points just to save them from doing all 5. I was pretty happy with the Michigan medley, where I think the top 5 all had different point totals. If I remember right, Chris Rice's medley also had a very good spread.

Also, for participation- Whore it up! If you've got any friends into lifting in the state, hit them up. Hit up strongment, powerlifters, and whoever. I was lucky in Michigan, I had a pretty good group of friends through various lifting boards that would come to my contest just for a chance to drink beer and hang with the guys. Gripboard participation would have only gotten me 4 contestants (including myself), instead I got close to 15.

Hey Aaron,

Ill be coming for sure, looking forward to it. Need to start training. Either weekend is good for me. But the sooner I know the date and the events the better, thanks

John shippling

Hey Aaron,

Ill be coming for sure, looking forward to it. Need to start training. Either weekend is good for me. But the sooner I know the date and the events the better, thanks

John shippling

I'll try to make it too Aaron

Hope you guys can make it.

Ok, since everyone who has weighed in on it. Date will be Saturday Feb 21st ( I was off by a year on the Feb 23rd date ). Last event will be Rolling thunder style Farmers walk for distance. Weight to be determined, but everyone or at least almost everyone should be able to lift it. Otherwise if people have issues with that we can do a light and heavy weight with Heavy beating light regardless of distace as long as you can lift it. Any questions or other input? Gonna do Trophies, prolly some prizes depending on sponsorship, and possibly custom T-shirts.

- Aaron

btw the revolving handle for the RT style farmers is going to be 1 7/8" to reduce the handsize issues. If anyone has a problem with that they can talk to me about it.

- Aaron

Are we doing Braced the same way as AZ-SAC? Any ideas on weights for the farmers walks?

My dad will definitely be there. Maybe I can recruit some kids from school, but they're all pretty cheap so idk if they'd be willing to. Is this going to be sponsered and everything like ACGS last year? I can help with cash if necessary, just let me know.

Stupid question, but how thick is the gripping part on the Euro style pinch?

usually 54mm - but some contests will allow you to add/remove some of the rubber spacers to accomodate hand size - not sure if Aaron is doing this or not

Stupid question, but how thick is the gripping part on the Euro style pinch?

usually 54mm - but some contests will allow you to add/remove some of the rubber spacers to accomodate hand size - not sure if Aaron is doing this or not

yep, can do it if requested. Options are 48mm, 54mm, and 64mm if I remember right.

- Aaron